1623 E. Passyunk Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sophiasphilly.com/
- Phone: 2152381920
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday & Thursday: 5-10pm
Saturday: Dinner: 5-11pm
Sunday: All Day Brunch: 11am - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Lee and Chef de Cuisine Oris Jeffers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room upstairs with a capacity of 35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Joseph Massara 2152381920
A word from Sophia's
Sophia's is located in the heart of Philadelphia's Passyunk Square on Passyunk between Tasker and Morris.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sophia's reviews from OpenTable diners
- Divine Food Reasonably PricedDeliciouslyDivineDined on 8/4/2013The ambiance, wonderful palate-pleasing upscale menu at an unbelievable price and exemplary service makes Sophia's a "stand-out". Chef Oris's scallops were divine! We will return soon for another wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute neighborhood restaurant!ShimmerE01VIPDined on 8/1/2013Had a great experience here. The staff was extremely friendly and hospital. Food was delicious too. Sophia's is truly deserving of its praise.Special Features:
- Sophia's always puts a smileFoodie3Dined on 7/31/2013Sophia's always puts a smile on my face! This was my second visit and I am so glad that I came back. Every aspect of this wonderful restaurant is five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem for SuremlpetVIPDined on 7/13/2013Sophia's is such an asset to the neighborhood where there are so many good restaurants. The pork chop was over the top in flavor and tenderness, as well as the hanger steak and frites. And an added bonus are the specialty cocktails which are not only great but also reasonable as are the wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu changeMowglivtVIPDined on 7/13/2013We went to Sophia's because their website menu sounded so wonderful and varied. We got there and they had just changed their entire menu, so there was nothing on it that we were hoping to try from their website. The food was nice, but not worth the trip for us.
- Uneven ExperienceBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2013We went to Sophia's with high hopes last friday but I have to say we felt a bit let down. We got the crabcakes and the sliders for the apps and they were average at best. The entrees though were very good, we got the steak frites (cooked medium rare) and the scallops. Both of the entrees were very good and the prices were very reasonable for what you got. I was expecting higher quality food for the apps and the menu that is posted here on OpenTable and on Yelp did not match with the menu we got at the restaurant. There were a few menu items that I was looking forward to that they didn't have. I wouldn't have had that expectation if they had kept their menu up to date. I want to give this place another try but might wait a bit.Special Features:
- Host and waiter could notAnthonyastromanDined on 7/10/2013Host and waiter could not have been more accommodating. Oysters were great and soft shell crab was also great. Meatballs were very good but would have preferred pasta el-dante. Looking forward to returing to sample other delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Things BrunchIHeartFoodDined on 6/30/2013The food, the atmosphere both get a A+. I dined on the Eggs Benedict, and I never had poached eggs that looked like clouds. So light and delicate the eggs were. My best friend had the Brioche French Toast. And all though she was full she stuffed herself because they were just that good. Not food left behind from the two of us. I don't know what secret recipe was used for the Mimosa but oh boy was it made to perfection! A wonderful place to enjoy brunch. And if you dine inside try to get seated on the second floor, the ambiance was marvelousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baruch on Sunday was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/30/2013Baruch on Sunday was great. The service was attentive and food was terrific. Looking forward to dining again at Sophie's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.UnderwhelmedDined on 6/29/2013I had high expectations after browsing their website. I did wish the photos have descriptions. The first and last thing I remembered was that my legs were blasted by hot air from the exhaust of a portable air conditioner. Service was attentive. At 7:30 pm it got busy and the noise level shot up. The frisee salad was too salty and oily. The pork cheek tasted good, but was so tough that I had a hard time chewing. The seafood paella tasted fine, but the portion was small, with just mussels, shrimps and maybe one scallop. The creme brulee looked a little sad with tiny pieces of dull pineapples. Overall, I was underwhelmed, but I may give it another try because there are other dishes that sound great on the menu.
- Very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2013My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised and had a wonderful experience at Sophia's last Saturday, After dinning in most of the Philadelphia Magazine Top 50 restaurants, my wife and I are seldom impressed. We felt we had an unusual treat at Sophia's. The food was simply delicious. Sophia's meatballs with polenta were tasty, moist and unsurpassed by any meatballs/sauce in any Italian restaurant. The yellow fin tuna was very fresh and the veal tenderloin was superb. The waiter answered our questions in a very helpful, knowledgable and confident way without being pretentious. Had great selections of beers and wines at reasonable prices. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious!RpjsDined on 6/16/2013Crab tempura on mango, whole black bass, hangar steak - we couldn't get enough! Terrific service and really cozy ambience. Thrilled it's in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGMonetDined on 6/15/2013I was absolutely impressed as was my friend. Service and food...impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great FoodKristinaDined on 6/12/2013Great drinks. Great food. Service fantastic, friendly. Will recommend to only those friends I think are deserving! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CritiqueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2013Food excellent and staff very nice. Overall accommodating to various food requests. One important observation - the prices are a bit too high. These are Center City prices for a neighborhood in South Philly. Although this is a "hot" neighborhood, these prices are a bit too "hot". If the overall food and drink prices were reduce a bit - even by just a dollar per item, I would definitely make this a much more regular spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third timerpf27VIPDined on 6/1/2013This was our third time dining at Sophia's. Each of the first two times, we were thrilled by this new addition to the neighborhood. Sophia's was elegant and understated and the cuisine was superb. This time, however, was a bit of a disappointment. The black bass was elegantly presented but tending toward the tasteless. (Do they need a new purveyor?) The stuffed chicken, which replaced the wonderful whole chicken, was bland - hard to do when fontina is a part of the mix. Our two friends had the paella - which remains Sophia's signature dish and altogether as good as it originally was. This is a world-class dish! Our other friend had a ravioli dish that she just loved. So, it was a 50-50 night. We will be back, especially for the paella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophia's didn't disappointChrisDined on 6/1/2013Excellent experience from start to finish. Great food. Exceptional service. Intimate atmosphere. Dine here with confidenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family FunLizzieDined on 5/30/2013Our family enjoyed one of the best dining experiences ever! Great place! A winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service. MenuYodiVIPDined on 5/25/2013Great food and service. Menu is interesting combinations. Reasonable wine list. Servers are friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Fisrt VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2013Appetizers were very good. Had the fish as a main course, would not recommend it.
- Lack of flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/24/2013Honestly both entrees and the appetizer my partner and I ordered were terrible. The hanger steak was tough and I'm not sure why the sauce was called chimichurri. The stuffed chicken seriously needs revamped. The stuffing was bitter. I question if they really used fontina. A true disappointment. Where is Salt and Pepper?
- Must try!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/17/2013Great drinks, absolutely delicious food, wonderful service!!! What more can you ask? Will return again and again!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2013We had a wonderful Mother's Day brunch! My finicky in-laws had nothing but nice things to say, and other guests were really happy with the food, ambiance, and service. Coming from NYC, the service seemed a little slower than what we are used to, but they were very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:
- HorriblesouthphillyDined on 5/12/2013The food here was absolutely horrible. While our waiter was apologetic and attentive this was the worst food experince I have had on Passyunk Avenue. This ruined what would have been a lovely Mother's Day brunch. I would NEVER recommend this restaurnt to anyone.
- Service with a Smile at Sophia's!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013What a nice experience it was to dine at Sophia's! We were warmly greeted upon our arrival and shown to the best seat in the house on the second floor in the bay window overlooking Passyunk Avenue. The hostess and our server were warm and friendly, and the meal was lovely. We particularly enjoyed the crabcake appetizer and the tuna and whole fish entrees. We were treated to a complimentary dessert in celebration of our anniversary. As I told the hostess on our way out, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance and lighting werebobbDined on 5/11/2013Ambiance and lighting were excellent and we started at the bar. I had a gin cocktail with cucumber and it was pretty good. We then were seated upstairs which was very coazy! Bread and butter were excellent! We ordered 3 appetizer's: crab cakes, mini tuna taco's and meatballs. All 3 were very good and so far so good. Then the main courses: My wife ordered stuffed chicken with mushrooms and fontina cheese. She did not like at all, I ate half and it was dry, and we both thought they forgot the cheese. I had the Veal which was cold and the sauce was bland. We ordered a salad with an egg on top and it was just ok. what a shame , all was going great until the end. Willing to maybe give Sophia's another chanceSpecial Features:
- The dinner was very good,FUNinNaplesFLDined on 5/11/2013The dinner was very good, the dessert could use some help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophia'sMargaretVIPDined on 5/11/2013What a great new place to have a wonderful dinner! The food was wonderful. Since I'm a picky eater it's challenging to find a menu I really like. This one was wonderful. The wine list could use improving. Overall, loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fabulous. I hadFoodie3Dined on 5/10/2013The food was fabulous. I had the Caesar Salad (which was perfectedly dressed and the boiled eggs was a wonderful touch) and the Crispy Soft Shell Crabs- awesome presentation and everything tasted wonderful. Myfriend also had the Caesar Salad and the Crab Cakes which she said was wonderful also. I have already told many friends and will return to celebrate birthdays and other important events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were looking for a restaurantJmuzzDined on 5/10/2013We were looking for a restaurant on passyunk ave. and chose Sophia's on a whim. We were very pleasantly surprised. The specialty cocktails were fantastic, the food was excellent and the service was wonderful. We will definitely go back and bring along a few of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2013I was super disappointed when I heard Salt & Pepper was closing and reopening as Sophia's. However, I surely wanted to try the new place out. I just came back for a second visit since the conversion to Sophia's and have to say, I was really disappointed. The meatballs and polenta are great - but meatballs aren't a big enough draw to get to choose a restaurant. The main dishes are not my cup of tea. I didn't love the offerings (and there isn't an updated menu posted anywhere - or I probably wouldn't have gone). I really just didn't enjoy my main course, at all. My dining partners main dish, was just ok. I don't think we'll be coming back - which is a bummer given how much I loved Salt & Pepper.
- Lunch or BrunchTomatoDined on 5/5/2013One of our group was going to the airport for an overseas trip, so a light meal was perfect. We arrived at 4:30 pm on Sunday to find the lunch/brunch menu very much to our liking. Each of us (5 people) totally enjoyed our meal and the service was great. Our choices ranged from a burger, to the ravioli (small portion, we thought), to the grilled tuna sandwich to the paella. As indicated in a recent review, the paella was outstanding. We plan to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2013The menu was limited and the offerings didn't work well together. Our fish was tasty, but not filleted, and our waiter refused our request to debone it. The second level decor is sparse and it was so noisy we were ready to leave mid-meal. A lot of changes are in order to keep people coming back to this restaurant.
- second time there -- foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2013second time there -- food as good this time as the first -- excellent variety of choices with eveything the six of us had woderfulSpecial Features:
- The food was good, (but notOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2013The food was good, (but not outstanding); I ordered a whole fish (Red snapper) that was just plopped in front of me. (My feeling are if you are going to have something such as this on your menu, teach someone on your staff to be able to filet it, instead of having the customer struggle with the fish bones). Also, I have dined at many places that apply a corkage fee, but never have a encountered a fee of $20.00 per bottle, THAT IS JUST A DISGRACE, and because of this I will never return to this restaurant, nor will I recommend it to anyone.
- Anniverary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2013I selected this restaurant on the favorable review written by Phyllis Stein-Novack in the South Philadephia Review. For her professional review please go to the paper's website. As for our experience, I can only say that althoug the menu was dfferent than she described we were not disappointed and found the food delicious and the staff friendly.Special Features:
- The food was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/3/2013The food was very good but the menu was small, not a good selection of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great atmosphereRC100Dined on 5/2/2013The food was wonderful and the atmosphere was beautiful. I was very happy with experience and would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meal was entirely mis-timed.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2013meal was entirely mis-timed. Suddenly it was very late and the food we had waited for was un-mpressive and not hot. Nice room and some of the staff was helpful but by and large i would not make the effort to go back.
- This is our third time atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2013This is our third time at Sophia's and each experience has been exceptional. Food refined, well prepared and plated beautifully. Relaxed white tablecloth atmosphere where you can enjoy conversation in a lively environment. Not too loud, just filled with sounds of people enjoying good food and good company. The host greeted us on arrival, recognized us by sight and welcomed us back. Apologized for not knowing our name, but stated he would remember that on our next visit. Very personable and upon our exit was genuinely interested in our feedback, both positive and negative. The only negative was that the black bass was not filleted or I would have ordered it. Apps all can be shared and apple ravioli is a must to try. Plan to return!!!!Special Features: