28B S Tejon St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonterragrill.com/
- Phone: 7194719222x
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Lunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Southwest
- Executive Chef: Joshua West Davis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live flamenco guitarist John Stone every Friday and Saturday starting at 7:00 p.m.
A word from Sonterra Grill
Sonterra Innovative Southwest Grill captures the spirit of the American Southwest in both atmosphere and culinary flair. All menu items are prepared from scratch daily using local and organic ingredients whenever possible. We source locally, whenever possible, from small producers to offer fresh, chemical-free, delicious produce. Our beef is raised in pastures, never feedlots. We serve fish from sustainable and wild populations that are not endangered.Continued
Awards: Overall Champion de Cuisine Trophy & Best Appetizer at the 2013 Colorado Restaurant Association’s 18th Annual Food & Wine Expo.
Awards: Overall Champion de Cuisine Trophy & Best Appetizer at the 2013 Colorado Restaurant Association’s 18th Annual Food & Wine Expo.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sonterra Grill - Best Restaurants in Colorado Springs ›
Sonterra Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)good for groups (12)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)special occasion (11)romantic (9)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Only complaintKansaspatronsDined on 8/29/2014We loved the food and our server was very friendly. My only complaint is that it is too dark. Neither my husband nor I could see well enough to read the menu. We finally just asked our waitress what she recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too bad.chasecDined on 8/28/2014We went to the restaurant because they boasted a Gluten-free menu online. The options were somewhat limited, but that is to be expected when looking for Gluten free. We weren't super hungry, so we split the enchilada / steak combo. It was super good, but unfortunately the plate wasn't as large as you would expect for the price. No biggie though, we also grubbed down on the chips, and got the guacamole sampler. The guac was delicious, and I'd like to try the original style next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- roadwarriorVIPDined on 8/27/2014It was a beautiful night for outdoor dining. The waitress was helpful, offering chips and salsa as well as suggestions for dinner. I enjoyed several options from the happy hour tapas menu and all were delicious (mushroom quesadillas, ceviche, fish taco).Special Features:
- Good, not great.TenderfootDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good and service was timely and friendly. No complaints there. Noise level for most of our meal was way too high for conversation. This was mainly due to a group of about a dozen next to us who were very loud. The stone tile floors in the restaurant reflected every bit of sound. After that group departed, it was much better. But our meal was nearly finished. One other item that should be addressed is lack of shades on the windows and glass doors. The late afternoon sun reflecting into them required one of our party to have to move twice in order avoid the bright glare.
- Great local-owned venuewinedinefunVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was really good. Amazing happy hour pricing, and the most professional and friendly staff, especially Emily, our waitperson. Usually busy, so make reservations. Smoked duck taquitos were amazing. Small but worthwhile wine list, featuring wines that actually pair with their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 24th AnniversaryHusker80Dined on 7/1/2014We ordered table side guacamole. Very bland!! We both had margaritas for a drink and also ordered water. It seemed like two waitresses were tag teaming our table so it wasn't the best service. Had to ask for water a couple of times. We ended up putting the complimentary salsa into the guacamole because it was really bland. We ordered the lobster enchiladas and mine was accompanied by a filet. The entree was probably the best food we had eaten ever in a restaurant as we tend to not eat out very often and we are really picky about where we eat when we do eat out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent waitress/service/chefSonrisaDined on 6/28/2014Our waitress made this celebration really satisfying. I am gluten-sensitive but also at the moment going thru some other serious food restrictions. Not only was the waitress responsive and informed and clear, but though I was prepared to eat a very plain meal, my salmon without butter was totally delicious. My husband and granddaughter loved their meals too. Sonterra was a perfect choice. Nice guitarist too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu/very pleasedfussyfoodieDined on 6/28/2014I loved the interesting menu. The food was unique and tasty. I ordered the lobster and shrimp enchiladas served in blue tortillas. Very nice decor and ambience. Service was wonderful.Special Features:
- SurpriseBarrBeastDined on 6/19/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how great the food was. The salads are HUGE and tasty. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican, Need I Say More?TwiceBittenDined on 6/14/2014I have been to Sonterra a couple of times and I am never disappointed with the food or the service. In addition, I have a habit of judging a Mexican restaurant by their salsa and Sonterra serves up a warm blackened tomato salsa that is to die for, I'm sold!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Southwest GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Sonterra was the perfect place for our family of four to enjoy a tasty and quality meal without waiting. We made the drive from Denver to spend some time in Colorado Springs and did not want to wait for a table. We also wanted healthy Mexican style food. Sonterra accepts reservations and serves wonderfully delicious meals. The atmosphere is very comfortable, clean and casually elegant.Special Features:
- AnneAnneDined on 6/6/2014We came to Sonterra for a friend's birthday celebration, and the food was excellent. We couldn't wait to go back and try it on our own. The happy hour was awesome - excellent martinis and the duck quesadillas and guacamole were delicious. We sat out on the patio, and had a nice happy hour. Very affordable and the service was great. However, when we went inside to have dinner, we were very disappointed with the food. The chicken mole was simply a hunk of chicken breast with sauce on it, rice and beans. The others had chicken enchiladas and pork belly tacos. Nothing remarkable, sauces seemed to not be anything that were specially created. So, we will definitely be back for happy hour, but not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it seems...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014After checking out the menu, and seeing their quasi-gormet options, I was really excited to try this place!! The menu sounded delicious!! When we arrived, the restaurant was moderately busy, yet it took 15min for the hostess to even arrive at her station to seat us. After we were seated, we were greeted by an inexperienced waitress. We ordered Queso and chips and salsa. They were very good. The salsa was delicious and interesting served hot!! I was INCREDIBLY disappointed in the entree. I had the pan seared halibut tacos. I expected 2-3 delicious fish tacos. What I received was 3 2-inc diameter tapas style tacos and a SMALL spoonful of black beans. Although they were cute, they were NOT delicious, and not enough food!!!
- Prices were very highDeniseDined on 5/30/2014The food was good, nothing special. The presentation was nice, portions were small. Pricey for this type of food.
- Another great dining experienceFoodloversincDined on 5/23/2014We love Sunterra. Everytime we are in town we eat here. Came w another couple this time for wonderful Friday nite dinner. It qas so good we returned on Saturday for happy hour. Best reataurant downtown hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 62 reviews are from the Sonterra Grill reviews archive.
- Elliee12345Dined on 5/20/2014This was our first visit to Sonterra Grill after many recommendations to try it! Our food was very good, but our service very poor. We were dining with our three children and I was shocked that our order was not even asked for for over 30 minutes after being seated! If we needed something, we had to wave down our waiter. If the service was taken up a notch, this would be a fantastic date night place, drinks spot, or family dinner...unfortunately I cannot really recommend it for either. Bad service is a downer. Was hoping for more!Special Features:
- Fresh food, foodie's delightOrneryDined on 4/26/2014The table side guacamole is excellent and favorites are shrimp and lobster enchiladas, and the pork the best I have eaten.Special Features:
- Sonterra a hidden gemGerryDined on 4/25/2014Obviously the locals in Colorado Springs appreciate this restaurant. I just want others to know. What I really like is I have eaten dinner there several times over the past few years and they are always updating the menu and trying new things - and most of the time they hit a home run. Good food always and sometimes great. Good service as well.Special Features:
- Fun place!colobarkerDined on 4/19/2014We always enjoy our meals here. It's a great place for dinner before a movie or the Philharmonic.Special Features:
- Perfect Couple DinnerDatenightgemDined on 4/4/2014The food was fabulous. We love the queso dip which is kept warm and creamy with a small burner and the table side guacamole tastes fresh and delicious. The entrees were flavorful with nice presentation. The atmosphere is modern and comfortable with dimmed lighting. We went on a Friday night and there was a guitarist there providing background music. This is not your typical Mexican fair so don't expect routine tacos and burritos. Also, since it was busy that evening the talking became a bit loud. Not a great place to bring small children but perfect for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a difficult time decidingroadwarriorVIPDined on 3/31/2014I had a difficult time deciding between the salmon or halibut fish tacos, so the waitress offered to do 2 salmon and 1 halibut (at the higher price). The salmon was flavorful but the halibut was dry and fishy smelling. Service was helpful and friendly. Fresh chips and salsa and also delicious black beans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in Tulsa and was visitingTulsafanDined on 3/24/2014I live in Tulsa and was visiting my daughter in COS. Was referred by our friend Craig Dalquist (3 Guys Smokin) of Tulsa. Soterra Grill will be eating destination every time we come to COS.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2014I dine here often and have never had a bad meal. It is always delicious. The service is always fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST Mexican food I have hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014This was our second visit. Both times, the atmosphere is fun, the service was excellent - and the food was fresh and perfectly spiced. We love Mexican food, and have been many places - but this is the best we have had. The guacamole and ceviche were amazing. The enchiladas, the bananas foster - oh yeah. Coming back!Special Features:
- New menu was fabulous!colobarkerDined on 3/8/2014We both enjoyed our dish selections. We had not been in since the new menu was created. She had the Salmon and Quinoa Salad and I enjoyed the Berry Chicken Mole with Lime Rice. Fantastic! Thomas was an excellent server and took good care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerbuckshot2Dined on 2/28/2014Food and service was great, but we could not carry a conversation was very very loud a bit sad being our anniversary of the day we met 37 years ago . We were downtown to see the America concert at the Pikes Peak Center. Might come back for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingHappycoupleDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I were visiting the area and chose this spot based on the online menu. Our experience exceeded our expectations! Tasteful art, complimentary lighting, and well-designed seating created an intimate feel in the midst of the vibrant energy of the place. The food was very well presented with an original and surprising mix of flavors. The service was attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonterraYummyDined on 2/21/2014The food is fantastic! When it comes to the wait staff they are great too but you will have to set the pace of the meal, if not they will make it a quick dinner and get you out to turn the table.Special Features:
- Sonterra a bit priceyzenlike29Dined on 2/21/2014It's a nice restaurant, but could use some noise reduction when it gets full. The food was good, but small portions. Nice place downtown, walking distance to everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there for meaussieDined on 2/15/2014It was really enjoyable. Our server was excellent, music added ambience, food really good. Good location downtown on Tejon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceMaribfoodDined on 2/15/2014The food is very fresh and the atmosphere was great.I feel the portion sizes are two small if you come really hungry.The margaritas are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montez Meetingmeadman2Dined on 2/15/2014The table was set back in a back room and accommodated our meeting perfectly. The staff was most accommodating. The food was very good and addressed our needs perfectly. Thanks to Sonterra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!TNKADined on 2/10/2014The hardest part for everyone at the table was selecting an entrée. Everything looked delicious, and it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so nice...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Our family felt the food was very overpriced for the portion size. While I enjoyed my salmon, my husband and son felt their dinners lacked flavor and variety. The noise level was WAY too loud to allow conversation around the table. We kept having to say, "What?!"Special Features:
- Great FoodDizzDined on 1/30/2014I love the variety Sonterra offers! I don't have the opportunity to dine downtown for lunch very often, so I had forgotten all about this wonderful restaurant. Great flavors, nice sized portions, and the atmosphere is fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TouchMarkDined on 1/3/2014We enjoyed this place. Nice surprise though it was a bit loud for a Friday night @ 6 pm. Oh, well!Special Features:
- It's a wonderful quaint placeMileHighDined on 12/21/2013It's a wonderful quaint place to grab a bite and relax with an enjoyable person!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my friends were not too impressedmamaluvsfoodDined on 12/21/2013I raved about this restaurant for days. My two friends ordered the taco combo. They were not impressed with all the sauces. The refried black beans were dry, they did not even eat the refried beans. Our server though was really on top of things. We were sat at the back booth, where we needed an extra chair. We had wished since we made reservations we would have had a table for the 5 of us. We really do like black beans just not refried. Will you ever have just the reg black beans not refried? We are planning on coming back again, sometimes things aren't going good we know that..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sonterra GrillJimODined on 12/18/2013Despite the fact that Open Table completely failed to establish our reservation as it had represented and confirmed in writing, Sonterra Grill welcomed our party, found a comfortable booth for us and made our dining experience enjoyable. The service was attentive and timely. The food was above average and the some of the dishes were modified to meet our requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningCOFoodieDined on 11/30/2013My party of 4 visited Sonterra Grill on Saturday night. We all had something different and were all satisfied with our choices. Sonterra Grill does an excellent job with different sauces. They were very flavorful and we did not find the spiciness too overpowering. Definitely Southwest flavors, not typical Mexican fare. The atmosphere is wonderful. The lighting provides a soft glow and it was easy to carry on a conversation. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.