28B S Tejon St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonterragrill.com/
- Phone: (719) 471-9222
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Lunch & Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Southwest
- Executive Chef: Joshua West Davis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live flamenco guitarist John Stone every Friday and Saturday starting at 7:00 p.m.
A word from Sonterra Grill
Sonterra Innovative Southwest Grill captures the spirit of the American Southwest in both atmosphere and culinary flair. All menu items are prepared from scratch daily using local and organic ingredients whenever possible. We source locally, whenever possible, from small producers to offer fresh, chemical-free, delicious produce. Our beef is raised in pastures, never feedlots. We serve fish from sustainable and wild populations that are not endangered.Continued
Awards: Overall Champion de Cuisine Trophy & Best Appetizer at the 2013 Colorado Restaurant Association’s 18th Annual Food & Wine Expo.
Awards: Overall Champion de Cuisine Trophy & Best Appetizer at the 2013 Colorado Restaurant Association’s 18th Annual Food & Wine Expo.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sonterra Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)good for groups (8)great for lunch (7)special occasion (6)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- First-Timers -- We'll Be BackEscutterDined on 11/14/2014A friend recommended Sonterra Grill as a great place to eat before heading to a concert at the nearby Pikes Peak Center, and we are so glad she did. We used Open Table to request a table about 15 minutes before we arrived at 5:45 -- a fortuitous move, as the place was full by the time we left. As promised, the menu offerings were original and delicious. The margaritas were great, and our server was attentive and friendly. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014We were attending for a birthday celebration that didn't feel special at all. I have been to Sonterra Grill many times and this past experience was unlike anything. I've always enjoyed that your food wasn't ordinary mexican food. I always get your fish tacos, and I was very unhappy to see the recipe change. Besides the recipes changing on your fish tacos it was more about the quality and quantity. The usually come with rice and black beans which mine did not. I paid 12 dollars for two little fish tacos. I remember always having three hearty fish tacos with rice and beans. The presentation looked cheap, you use to give multiple tortillas per taco and now it's one. They always fall apart you need to multiple. My waitress was not helpful.Special Features:
- Changing OpinionSSDoleckiDined on 11/5/2014I've been to Sonterra Grill several times over the last few years. Usually it is amazing but lately I've been feeling that it's been lacking. I loved the fajitas (which are no longer on their menu) and so this time I got the carne asada. I've heard others rave about this but I was disappointed and felt disappointed with the smoked pulled pork enchiladas as well. The tableside guacamole was great as always and next time I'm sticking with the tacos. Also, the service is usually spot on but our waiter was not very attentative. Several times we had to request refills on our water since the whole table was out and after dropping off our change he never stopped back by. We were still finishing our bottle of wine and we needed water again!Special Features:
- Friendly but absolutely vanishedNicknameVIPDined on 10/23/2014Food here is great but on this visit our waitress disappeared and we were left having to leave the table to find someone to get us refills of water and chips for the fresh guacamole. Said she would be right back but never saw her again. Guacamole sat without anything to eat it with until our entrees came. Finally another waitress came by and brought them but by then, what was the point. By the way, place was not even half full. No excuse for this kind of service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We were there on our one hour lunch break. We had a party of five. The restaurant overall did not seem to be too busy but our waiter was very slow. We waited a very long time to order drinks then food. Our food came out rather quickly comparative. Then we waited an extremely long time for our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Experience @ Sonterra GrillConnoisseur9MolldollDined on 10/18/2014This was the second time dining at Sonterra Grill. I very much enjoy the atmosphere at this restaurant. The service was fair, not amazing, but fair. It was a Saturday night so the place was busy. However I don't believe we will be dining here much in the future because, while the food is quite tasty, the portions are ridiculously small. We paid $15 for the tiniest taco's I have ever seen in my life, this entree was the size of a small appetizer. This was definitely not worth it for the prices. Work on making your portion sizes larger and I may consider dining here again in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Guac!!FoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had the tableside guacamole which was outstanding....it was gone in a flash! The coconut shrimp was soooooo good! Loved the pineapple salsa that accompanied it! Will definitely be back when in Colorado!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014Great food and service. This is not your run-of-the-mill Mexcican restaurant. The menu items are very creative and beautifully presented. The restaurant was too noisy for us. We could not carry on a conversation inside and asked to be moved to an outside table.Special Features:
- Only complaintKansaspatronsDined on 8/29/2014We loved the food and our server was very friendly. My only complaint is that it is too dark. Neither my husband nor I could see well enough to read the menu. We finally just asked our waitress what she recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too bad.chasecDined on 8/28/2014We went to the restaurant because they boasted a Gluten-free menu online. The options were somewhat limited, but that is to be expected when looking for Gluten free. We weren't super hungry, so we split the enchilada / steak combo. It was super good, but unfortunately the plate wasn't as large as you would expect for the price. No biggie though, we also grubbed down on the chips, and got the guacamole sampler. The guac was delicious, and I'd like to try the original style next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- roadwarriorVIPDined on 8/27/2014It was a beautiful night for outdoor dining. The waitress was helpful, offering chips and salsa as well as suggestions for dinner. I enjoyed several options from the happy hour tapas menu and all were delicious (mushroom quesadillas, ceviche, fish taco).Special Features:
- Good, not great.TenderfootDined on 8/2/2014The food was very good and service was timely and friendly. No complaints there. Noise level for most of our meal was way too high for conversation. This was mainly due to a group of about a dozen next to us who were very loud. The stone tile floors in the restaurant reflected every bit of sound. After that group departed, it was much better. But our meal was nearly finished. One other item that should be addressed is lack of shades on the windows and glass doors. The late afternoon sun reflecting into them required one of our party to have to move twice in order avoid the bright glare.
- Great local-owned venuewinedinefunVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was really good. Amazing happy hour pricing, and the most professional and friendly staff, especially Emily, our waitperson. Usually busy, so make reservations. Smoked duck taquitos were amazing. Small but worthwhile wine list, featuring wines that actually pair with their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 72 reviews are from the Sonterra Grill reviews archive.
- 24th AnniversaryHusker80Dined on 7/1/2014We ordered table side guacamole. Very bland!! We both had margaritas for a drink and also ordered water. It seemed like two waitresses were tag teaming our table so it wasn't the best service. Had to ask for water a couple of times. We ended up putting the complimentary salsa into the guacamole because it was really bland. We ordered the lobster enchiladas and mine was accompanied by a filet. The entree was probably the best food we had eaten ever in a restaurant as we tend to not eat out very often and we are really picky about where we eat when we do eat out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent waitress/service/chefSonrisaDined on 6/28/2014Our waitress made this celebration really satisfying. I am gluten-sensitive but also at the moment going thru some other serious food restrictions. Not only was the waitress responsive and informed and clear, but though I was prepared to eat a very plain meal, my salmon without butter was totally delicious. My husband and granddaughter loved their meals too. Sonterra was a perfect choice. Nice guitarist too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu/very pleasedfussyfoodieDined on 6/28/2014I loved the interesting menu. The food was unique and tasty. I ordered the lobster and shrimp enchiladas served in blue tortillas. Very nice decor and ambience. Service was wonderful.Special Features:
- SurpriseBarrBeastDined on 6/19/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how great the food was. The salads are HUGE and tasty. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican, Need I Say More?TwiceBittenDined on 6/14/2014I have been to Sonterra a couple of times and I am never disappointed with the food or the service. In addition, I have a habit of judging a Mexican restaurant by their salsa and Sonterra serves up a warm blackened tomato salsa that is to die for, I'm sold!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Southwest GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Sonterra was the perfect place for our family of four to enjoy a tasty and quality meal without waiting. We made the drive from Denver to spend some time in Colorado Springs and did not want to wait for a table. We also wanted healthy Mexican style food. Sonterra accepts reservations and serves wonderfully delicious meals. The atmosphere is very comfortable, clean and casually elegant.Special Features:
- AnneAnneDined on 6/6/2014We came to Sonterra for a friend's birthday celebration, and the food was excellent. We couldn't wait to go back and try it on our own. The happy hour was awesome - excellent martinis and the duck quesadillas and guacamole were delicious. We sat out on the patio, and had a nice happy hour. Very affordable and the service was great. However, when we went inside to have dinner, we were very disappointed with the food. The chicken mole was simply a hunk of chicken breast with sauce on it, rice and beans. The others had chicken enchiladas and pork belly tacos. Nothing remarkable, sauces seemed to not be anything that were specially created. So, we will definitely be back for happy hour, but not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it seems...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014After checking out the menu, and seeing their quasi-gormet options, I was really excited to try this place!! The menu sounded delicious!! When we arrived, the restaurant was moderately busy, yet it took 15min for the hostess to even arrive at her station to seat us. After we were seated, we were greeted by an inexperienced waitress. We ordered Queso and chips and salsa. They were very good. The salsa was delicious and interesting served hot!! I was INCREDIBLY disappointed in the entree. I had the pan seared halibut tacos. I expected 2-3 delicious fish tacos. What I received was 3 2-inc diameter tapas style tacos and a SMALL spoonful of black beans. Although they were cute, they were NOT delicious, and not enough food!!!
- Prices were very highDeniseDined on 5/30/2014The food was good, nothing special. The presentation was nice, portions were small. Pricey for this type of food.
- Another great dining experienceFoodloversincDined on 5/23/2014We love Sunterra. Everytime we are in town we eat here. Came w another couple this time for wonderful Friday nite dinner. It qas so good we returned on Saturday for happy hour. Best reataurant downtown hands down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elliee12345Dined on 5/20/2014This was our first visit to Sonterra Grill after many recommendations to try it! Our food was very good, but our service very poor. We were dining with our three children and I was shocked that our order was not even asked for for over 30 minutes after being seated! If we needed something, we had to wave down our waiter. If the service was taken up a notch, this would be a fantastic date night place, drinks spot, or family dinner...unfortunately I cannot really recommend it for either. Bad service is a downer. Was hoping for more!Special Features:
- Fresh food, foodie's delightOrneryDined on 4/26/2014The table side guacamole is excellent and favorites are shrimp and lobster enchiladas, and the pork the best I have eaten.Special Features:
- Sonterra a hidden gemGerryDined on 4/25/2014Obviously the locals in Colorado Springs appreciate this restaurant. I just want others to know. What I really like is I have eaten dinner there several times over the past few years and they are always updating the menu and trying new things - and most of the time they hit a home run. Good food always and sometimes great. Good service as well.Special Features:
- Fun place!colobarkerDined on 4/19/2014We always enjoy our meals here. It's a great place for dinner before a movie or the Philharmonic.Special Features:
- Perfect Couple DinnerDatenightgemDined on 4/4/2014The food was fabulous. We love the queso dip which is kept warm and creamy with a small burner and the table side guacamole tastes fresh and delicious. The entrees were flavorful with nice presentation. The atmosphere is modern and comfortable with dimmed lighting. We went on a Friday night and there was a guitarist there providing background music. This is not your typical Mexican fair so don't expect routine tacos and burritos. Also, since it was busy that evening the talking became a bit loud. Not a great place to bring small children but perfect for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a difficult time decidingroadwarriorVIPDined on 3/31/2014I had a difficult time deciding between the salmon or halibut fish tacos, so the waitress offered to do 2 salmon and 1 halibut (at the higher price). The salmon was flavorful but the halibut was dry and fishy smelling. Service was helpful and friendly. Fresh chips and salsa and also delicious black beans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in Tulsa and was visitingTulsafanDined on 3/24/2014I live in Tulsa and was visiting my daughter in COS. Was referred by our friend Craig Dalquist (3 Guys Smokin) of Tulsa. Soterra Grill will be eating destination every time we come to COS.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2014I dine here often and have never had a bad meal. It is always delicious. The service is always fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST Mexican food I have hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014This was our second visit. Both times, the atmosphere is fun, the service was excellent - and the food was fresh and perfectly spiced. We love Mexican food, and have been many places - but this is the best we have had. The guacamole and ceviche were amazing. The enchiladas, the bananas foster - oh yeah. Coming back!Special Features:
- New menu was fabulous!colobarkerDined on 3/8/2014We both enjoyed our dish selections. We had not been in since the new menu was created. She had the Salmon and Quinoa Salad and I enjoyed the Berry Chicken Mole with Lime Rice. Fantastic! Thomas was an excellent server and took good care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerbuckshot2Dined on 2/28/2014Food and service was great, but we could not carry a conversation was very very loud a bit sad being our anniversary of the day we met 37 years ago . We were downtown to see the America concert at the Pikes Peak Center. Might come back for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingHappycoupleDined on 2/22/2014My husband and I were visiting the area and chose this spot based on the online menu. Our experience exceeded our expectations! Tasteful art, complimentary lighting, and well-designed seating created an intimate feel in the midst of the vibrant energy of the place. The food was very well presented with an original and surprising mix of flavors. The service was attentive and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonterraYummyDined on 2/21/2014The food is fantastic! When it comes to the wait staff they are great too but you will have to set the pace of the meal, if not they will make it a quick dinner and get you out to turn the table.Special Features:
- Sonterra a bit priceyzenlike29Dined on 2/21/2014It's a nice restaurant, but could use some noise reduction when it gets full. The food was good, but small portions. Nice place downtown, walking distance to everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there for meaussieDined on 2/15/2014It was really enjoyable. Our server was excellent, music added ambience, food really good. Good location downtown on Tejon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceMaribfoodDined on 2/15/2014The food is very fresh and the atmosphere was great.I feel the portion sizes are two small if you come really hungry.The margaritas are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montez Meetingmeadman2Dined on 2/15/2014The table was set back in a back room and accommodated our meeting perfectly. The staff was most accommodating. The food was very good and addressed our needs perfectly. Thanks to Sonterra.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.