Sonsie - Boston
327 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Sonsie - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonsieboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 351-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Pastries Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Pizzas served daily to 1230am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Sonsie - Boston
Sonsie celebrates twenty one years on Boston's famous Newbury Street serving top-notch International cuisine from award-winning Chef Bill Poirier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sonsie - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (62)neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (50)vibrant bar scene (45)romantic (41)great for brunch (38)special occasion (32)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (16)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- great food, great atmosphereLyzionaDined on 11/19/2014Went for first time w.a gf, sat at bar, great food, ambiance for being a Wednesday night, though bar staff seems to get easily distracted even when not packed.. will certainly come again though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awkward serviceMatthewTDined on 11/15/2014Went to Sonsie on Saturday night this week. While the food was good, the server was extremely awkward, and outwardly rude. We had a few friends in town, and thought we would bring them to a nice restaurant, but Sonsie proved not to be the right location. We were talked down to, and made were given inattentive service at best. I'm surprised, since we ordered everything from scotch before dinner, apps, including 18 oysters, a bottle of wine, entrees, and deserts. Generally I would think thats the kind of table a server would want. I can't imagine a way to drive up the bill any further. We will not be returning unfortunately, and will not be recommending it to friends or colleagues.
- travellerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Travelled from melbourne, am coeliac. They catered without a fuss with a whole substantial gluten free menu uptown and great wine list. Great vibe, lovely staff. Great venue for quiet meal or catch up with friends. Have been twice now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayMeghan515Dined on 11/9/2014I have been to Sonsie for drinks and maybe a dinner before, never for brunch. My Mother and I both got the quiche which was good not great, the breakfast potatoes were just basic nothing special. We got a side of fruit, presentation just ok, not the best fruit (hard rindy melon) very small portion. The waitress was so so sweet, the host staff were not very inviting I have to say so thankfully we got lucky with a great waitress. Anyways, not something I would recommend as a great brunch place, though the location is fantastic on Newbury Street.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014I am vegan and the chef made a vegan, gluten-free pizza for me that was delicious. I also enjoyed the chopped greens salad. It was an excellent-sized portion for someone who likes to eat as much raw as possible. The wine choices were great. A little cramped but at our small table but the service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonsieCDFJRDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed Sonsie very much. The food was great and the service excellent. Space was tight - I had trouble squeezing into the space between our table and the one next to us. Also the noise level at the bar was very high but not so bad that we could not talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and open to the air.amrATopentableDined on 11/5/2014I had been looking for a place to take my husband and our college-age son for a nice meal of sushi and conversation. I read a number of reviews and this place sounded great. While the food was not what I expected (typical American cuisine, burgers, etc) it was still very good and the service was attentive. However, there was extremely loud music blaring the entire time, so it was hard to have a conversation. Also, the entire front of the restaurant was completely open to the world, and in November weather in Boston, this is not appropriate. It seemed like that would have been fine on an August evening, if we were all young and looking for a bar scene.Special Features:
- Abject dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2014The only acceptable element of a meal at Sonsie was the discovery of a William Hill Napa 2012 cab/sauv on the Bin End wine list for $40. Such a great deal that 4 of us drank 2 bottles. The food was abysmal (nothing good to say about any part of it) and the service bordered on obsequious.
- Great staff and foodJS65Dined on 11/1/2014The food and atmousfer was very good. I strongly recommend dining at Sonsie, the stak was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerfoodie1Dined on 11/1/2014The food was delicious, and the service was very attentive. The only negative I had was the tiny sliver of bread they give each person, and my highly priced cocktail that was filled with ice. However I would definitely recommend dining here and will go again when I'm in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one great dish after anotherBreakingBreadVIPDined on 11/1/2014There is a vibrant bar scene but we chose to sit in the dining room at a quiet corner table. The small plates were generous and delicious; the salad were outstanding. The service was attentive. A fine evening.Special Features:
- Liked it againBenSahnDined on 11/1/2014Very good meal and great service. Nice place to be. We like to dine here. We were seated pretty far from the bar yet the noise from a group of guys at the bar was very loud. They were sort of in locker room mode for a long time. I guess the restaurant is ok with that but it did affect our experience there. Sonsie is not for quiet dining and we are ok with that. This, however, was louder than it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyablePatathomeDined on 10/28/2014We enjoy Sonsie. I thought the organization of their new menu was a bit confusing, however. The host/hostess is always welcoming. Service is reliable. Water glasses are promptly refilled.Special Features:
- food was delicious. great fall menuMonikaDined on 10/19/2014This was our first time here. They don't have a liquor license that let's you take the wine bottle with you if you don't finish so I bought wine by the glass. They did have good choices for wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch BuddiesAMCCMCDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed a yummy brunch. Food was delicious. Table footprint is small which made service for 3 crowded. All the same, I would go again, especially when the doors to the street are wide open and the weather is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!MollyKDined on 10/18/2014Fun place to brunch on Newbury. The front of restaurant is open to the street which is lovely on a nice day. Complementary warm blueberry muffins and cranberry bread were amazing, melt in your mouth! Food was all delicious and responsibly priced. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuDiningDivaDined on 10/16/2014We had a great meal here. They have an interesting food menu and the atmosphere was great! Perfect for our group.Special Features:
- Great lunch!sigalakiDined on 10/16/2014Had a great lunch. Waguy burger was amazing and so was my quesadilla pizza.Special Features:
- Great find with great service!WineLoverinCADined on 10/15/2014It was my first trip to Boston and Sonsie was recommended to us by someone in the wine business. My daughter and I were pleasantly surprised with the ambiance and food and the service was fantastic! Our only regret is that we didn't head to that area earlier so we could have taken advantage of all the great shops before our dinner reservation. It was an unusually warm night in October and we were lucky enough to have a table next to the open doors looking out on the street with great people watching. We will definitely return to Sonsie on our next visit to Boston! I highly recommend that you do the same!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.JAM6Dined on 10/5/2014Love the atmosphere, food isn't that great. Several members in our party were underwhelmed by their meals.Special Features:
- DisappointedbackbaybrunchDined on 10/5/2014We've been there couple of times before, but they were really horrible this time we went. We made a reservation for a table, but apparently some other guests "stole" it, and we had to wait for 20 minutes to get our seats. Service was very bad. Took forever to take our orders and food did not come until after 30 minutes!!! Staff was rude and unfriendly.
- One of my Boston favssmatDined on 10/3/2014Sonsie's was a favorite of mine while living in Boston. The ambiance & menu are just superb. Without feeling stuffy & over-the-top, Sonsie is a perfect place to grab an excellent cocktail, delicious appetizers & perfect dinner. Sonsie really has a great vibe for any occasion. Whether it be a quick & relaxing week-night dinner with girlfriends or a romantic dinner out with my boyfriend on a Saturday night -- it's just perfect!Special Features:
- DisappointingLovetograze1Dined on 10/2/2014Our waitress had a very professional veneer and very efficient but somehow we felt something was missing- our experience felt impersonal. My main course was monkfish - the fish was tender and perfectly cooked but I felt the sauce, though nice, overpowered the delicate fish. It was a very small piece of fish too. My husband had the Waygu beef burger. The meat was tender as is expected and my husband asked for it to be cooked 'medium' it was burnt on the outside edge as was the bun. This made it dry and not as it should be. The chips also seemed overcooked - it wasn't great to be honest.
- Best on newbury450painterDined on 9/30/2014We had outstanding good and service. It was wuiter than most. And the waiter we had was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime brunch fav. on NewburyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Great food, nice decor. Was crowded so service could not quite keep up. Will for sure go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!luv2dineDined on 9/27/2014I took my boyfriend here to celebrate our anniversary and am so happy I did. The service was amazing and the food was even better. Among several other things, we tried the seasonal apple puree and scallop dish which was incredible. This is a great place for a date night as well as for a night out with friends. I highly recommend to anyone who appreciates good food and a great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonsieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great service and wonderful meal. Pork Chop exceptional and sea bream good. Would recommend to friends going to Boston. Location to Hilton made a great walk in the evening of 10 minutes.Special Features:
- I should keep it a secret...suefromsalemDined on 9/27/2014As I walked down Newbury Street, I noticed the bar-like outdoor dining and thought, "What did my friend recommend?" We always like a subtle, classic dining experience. Well as soon as I walked inside, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, if you want to 'be seen' or just people watch while sipping a beverage and a bite, this is the place. But if you want to sit in a classic atmosphere and enjoy a wonderful dining experience, Sonsie's that place. We enjoyed a combination of appetizers, salads and vegetables for a great, eclectic dinner before Symphony. The bartender knew exactly how to 'brew' a negroni and my gibson was very good. Our wait person new exactly what questions to ask us regarding how we liked out drinks. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's ok, service is truly awfulE2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Appetizers, drinks, and dessert were great. The entrees were just OK. The salmon is a random mishmash of ingredients in an attempt to mask the overlooked quality of the fish. The fish was dry. There was a random smattering of guacamole and radish. The restaurant is super loud near the bar. The service was really poor. The waitress kept putting drinks with the wrong people, the wrong dishes to the wrong people. I got a steak knife even though I was eating fish. No one at the table was eating steak either. They were really rushing us to get out of there. One of the apps was not even half way done and they wanted to take it away. It's too bad. This place could be great. I am definitely not returning for dinner but I might try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niteoutVIPDined on 9/19/2014Overall good experience. Had dinner with my 30 year old daughter and her friend. Service was prompt, friendly and efficient. Two of us had the halibut special, which was excellent. My daughter ordered a hamburger, medium rare. It came closer to medium well. She was very hungry, so ate it rather than sent it back, but said her dinner was "disappointing". We shared a few different desserts, and they were all delicious. It's a very noisy restaurant, but we knew that going in. I like Sonsie, but usually go with my kids rather than "older" adults. I generally prefer a more quiet and relaxing place when dining with my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goBoston32VIPDined on 9/6/2014Staff was amazing. Beyond excellent service! Drinks delicious. Food was good. What more could you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 9/1/2014A must when in boston, always a good meal! Food service and atmosphere! A PLUS.Special Features:
- MentalistDined on 8/31/2014My second visit and enjoyed it immensely the calamari is as good as I get at home(Southern spain) and our waitress was very friendly( Chelsea)Special Features:
- PriceChopperVIPDined on 8/30/2014Goat Cheese Pizza and a table next to the sidewalk to take in the breeze! Excellent! So glad we got the perfect spot with short notice thanks to OpTab!
- Sonsie RocksRocketDined on 8/23/2014We went on a Saturday night at 9 PM. The restaurant was loud and busy which was to our liking as it created a certain ambiance. We sat at a small cafe table in the front area with a "people watching" view of Newbury Street. Our server, Jennifer, was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. The food was excellent in presentation, quality and quantity. Overall, the experience was great and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MentalistDined on 8/23/2014Service was very professional but felt slightly rushed however not in a rude way don't like table being cleared whilst other diners are still eating food and value great for me a little too dark and noisy with a packed bar so close but my family and I had a good time and I would thoroughly recommend dinner try the duck and pork tacos in particularSpecial Features:
- maiaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Please applaud your reception- and wait-staff because from the moment we walked into the restaurant, they graciously welcomed us to the restaurant and sat us exactly at the kind of quiet table (in the medium back) that we had requested! To our delight, our waiter served us most attentively on the evening that we dined. And the food was positively scrumptious! It was familiar food, but prepared in unique and especially flavorful ways that left us feeling quite sated on all levels! Our son and daughter-in-law who live in Boston positively love Sonsie's and directed us here...we can fully understand their reasons for loving Sonsies, as now we will loudly sing its praises too!!! Thank you to all who made for us a memorable dining experience!Special Features:
- We Will ReturneclementsDined on 8/15/2014The first time we visited Sonsie was with a large group of 12 (two families). We didn't have a reservation but they were able to fit us into a private dining area that they had downstairs which worked out very well for us. We all enjoyed it and had lots of delicious nibbles, pizzas and several raved about the wagyu burgers. We decided to return again with a smaller group of 4 and were seated upstairs. As other reviewers have indicated, it is LOUD. It is hard to hear and we had to ask our waiter to repeat himself many times. Our food was very good and service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Restaurant was louder than I expected and remembered. Had to yell to hear each other. Overall menu was satisfactory. Food was good burger great, but otherwise nothing special. Not appropriate for a business dinner, but ok for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotjackjackDined on 8/9/2014Went here for a date with my girlfriend. Drinks, food and service was awesome. The energy in the bar was perfect for a romantic date but also a a very "hip" environment. We had a great time and would recommend this spot to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.