Sonsie - Boston
327 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Sonsie - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonsieboston.com/
- Phone: 6173512500x
- Hours of Operation:
Pastries Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Pizzas served daily to 1230am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Sonsie - Boston
Sonsie celebrates twenty one years on Boston's famous Newbury Street serving top-notch International cuisine from award-winning Chef Bill Poirier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sonsie - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (55)great for brunch (51)fit for foodies (49)vibrant bar scene (48)romantic (45)great for lunch (41)good for groups (41)special occasion (36)great for outdoor dining (29)notable wine list (19)scenic view (16)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- it's ok, service is truly awfulE2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Appetizers, drinks, and dessert were great. The entrees were just OK. The salmon is a random mishmash of ingredients in an attempt to mask the overlooked quality of the fish. The fish was dry. There was a random smattering of guacamole and radish. The restaurant is super loud near the bar. The service was really poor. The waitress kept putting drinks with the wrong people, the wrong dishes to the wrong people. I got a steak knife even though I was eating fish. No one at the table was eating steak either. They were really rushing us to get out of there. One of the apps was not even half way done and they wanted to take it away. It's too bad. This place could be great. I am definitely not returning for dinner but I might try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goBoston32VIPDined on 9/6/2014Staff was amazing. Beyond excellent service! Drinks delicious. Food was good. What more could you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 9/1/2014A must when in boston, always a good meal! Food service and atmosphere! A PLUS.Special Features:
- MentalistDined on 8/31/2014My second visit and enjoyed it immensely the calamari is as good as I get at home(Southern spain) and our waitress was very friendly( Chelsea)Special Features:
- PriceChopperVIPDined on 8/30/2014Goat Cheese Pizza and a table next to the sidewalk to take in the breeze! Excellent! So glad we got the perfect spot with short notice thanks to OpTab!
- Sonsie RocksRocketDined on 8/23/2014We went on a Saturday night at 9 PM. The restaurant was loud and busy which was to our liking as it created a certain ambiance. We sat at a small cafe table in the front area with a "people watching" view of Newbury Street. Our server, Jennifer, was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. The food was excellent in presentation, quality and quantity. Overall, the experience was great and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MentalistDined on 8/23/2014Service was very professional but felt slightly rushed however not in a rude way don't like table being cleared whilst other diners are still eating food and value great for me a little too dark and noisy with a packed bar so close but my family and I had a good time and I would thoroughly recommend dinner try the duck and pork tacos in particularSpecial Features:
- maiaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Please applaud your reception- and wait-staff because from the moment we walked into the restaurant, they graciously welcomed us to the restaurant and sat us exactly at the kind of quiet table (in the medium back) that we had requested! To our delight, our waiter served us most attentively on the evening that we dined. And the food was positively scrumptious! It was familiar food, but prepared in unique and especially flavorful ways that left us feeling quite sated on all levels! Our son and daughter-in-law who live in Boston positively love Sonsie's and directed us here...we can fully understand their reasons for loving Sonsies, as now we will loudly sing its praises too!!! Thank you to all who made for us a memorable dining experience!Special Features:
- We Will ReturneclementsDined on 8/15/2014The first time we visited Sonsie was with a large group of 12 (two families). We didn't have a reservation but they were able to fit us into a private dining area that they had downstairs which worked out very well for us. We all enjoyed it and had lots of delicious nibbles, pizzas and several raved about the wagyu burgers. We decided to return again with a smaller group of 4 and were seated upstairs. As other reviewers have indicated, it is LOUD. It is hard to hear and we had to ask our waiter to repeat himself many times. Our food was very good and service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Restaurant was louder than I expected and remembered. Had to yell to hear each other. Overall menu was satisfactory. Food was good burger great, but otherwise nothing special. Not appropriate for a business dinner, but ok for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotjackjackDined on 8/9/2014Went here for a date with my girlfriend. Drinks, food and service was awesome. The energy in the bar was perfect for a romantic date but also a a very "hip" environment. We had a great time and would recommend this spot to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPbarDined on 8/9/2014We were disappointed in Sonsie. we were looking forward to a delicious, romantic dinner dining alfresco on Newbury Street. We were seated in the over crowded cafe area, four or five "rows" removed from the open sidewalk area, and the tables were on top of each other. The entree options were limited and boring. We opted to for appetizers and a pizza. Not what we had in mind when we booked. Pbar
- NiceDined on 8/6/2014Great to people watch, drink and eat. Had a great time!Special Features:
- Yummy flor de sauco!macattack711VIPDined on 7/30/2014They have a drink called the flor de sauco with tequila, elderflower, and cucumber, and you have to try one! It was so good I had to try 3!! And now I am lusting for them! The food and drinks came so quickly for a peak time (7:30), it was unbelievable! I enjoyed my chopped salad. I believe my friend enjoyed her pizza and the fries had great flavor (they were a little soft by the time I tried them, but she assured me there some of her favorites in the city). I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Classic NewberryDinnerWithAViewDined on 7/28/2014The open air seating in the front was wonderful. Even with scaffolding on the front there was still a feeling of being right in the heart of Back Bay and provided a great spot for people watching on Newberry. The food was delicious, especially the Chipotle Chicken Pizza. The waitress was very educated on the menu and helpful without being pushy. I would definitely recommend it to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sarahjaneDined on 7/28/2014good food...great service...pleasant atmosphere...thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pnwvVIPDined on 7/27/2014My only complaint was that our server was too attentative. No sooner would you finish something and she would be waiting to take the empty whetever away. It just made us feel a bit rushed.Special Features:
- so so experiencenickeyblueiDined on 7/26/2014We got there and the ambiance was warm and friendly and we got a table overlooking the street so that was cool. However that's where it stopped being great. The drinks we got were completely watered down and not very tasty. I got the eggplant ravioli and it was bland and flavorless floating in a green basil water that did not add any flavor. The mozzarella was tough and rubbery and the service was only so so. Not a great night but I might try it again.Special Features:
- Great food, fun locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014The food was great and service was quick. We requested a spot near the windows and that is exactly what we got. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Food is perfect, drinks are strong and delicious and the staff is friendly and beautiful. Good place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location Yes, Food NoBetaDVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great location and a lovely decor but the food was not very good. I had a burger that I ordered medium which came out way past well done. My wife order a pasta dish and it looked like the pasta had been soaking in bath water all day, not good. Stop in for a drink but don't waste you money on the food.
- Best for BrunchTaylorDined on 7/20/2014We visit Boston 2 or 3 times each summer for baseball and we always have brunch at Sonsie - it's great!Special Features:
- JackieDined on 7/19/2014Great dinner and very helpful and accomadating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and small portions!LJG923Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I selected Sonsie as one of our places for dinner on our 3 day weekend in Boston based on the great reviews! We are both foodies and enjoy good wine and beer. First, the noise level at Sonsie was horrible. We could barely hear each other speaking from across a small 2 person table. The waitress was amazing at explaining the food - but the menu was limited and very specific. The wine list was difficult to read and included primarily foreign wines. The draft list was less than impressive. I wouldn't eat here again.Special Features:
- DebbieDebbieVIPDined on 7/17/2014More than outstanding. Food was awesome. Gnocchi special was melt in your mouth. Highly highly recommend and would return every time I visit Boston. Loved it! Food was outstanding, and service was great...friendly, personable and professional.Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerAndreaDDined on 7/12/2014We celebrated out wedding anniversary, our table was ready when we arrived, the service was perfect and the food was fantastic. We will definitely recommend Sonsie to friends.Special Features:
- good for people watching...RettaVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a table w/ a front row view of the sidewalk traffic on Newbury Street. (the front area dininng is open air). As it was our first time in Boston it was fun to people watch. It has a French Bistro feel...food was delicious. Only disappointment was that we were told by concierge it was a steak house...although steak was on the menu, it wasn't the most reccommended...menu is more eclectic. I had the Grilled bronzini..and my hubbie had a personal pizza....we enjoyed both immensely and will definitely return. I rated the ambience lower due to construction plywwod against the exterior due to an issue with the outside brick wall...that being resolved it would def be a four star. Good attentive service and a personal welcome from manager.Special Features:
- Great eveningKLG123Dined on 7/11/2014The food was again fantastic. The staff was friendly and very accommodating as new guests joined in the middle of dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, annoying serversshsbostonDined on 7/10/2014Dined here recently with a friend I hadn't seen for a long time. The food itself was pretty good especially the pork belly tacos, which were tender and flavorful. It might be a great spot if you're out with a group of friends but not so great if you're with a close friend and want to have long, interesting conversations. Our server kept interrupting us during our meal. The most annoying interruption was near the end of the evening, when the dining room had emptied out around 11pm. She seemed in a hurry to get us out even though the restaurant is open until 1am and we were still slowly eating dessert and clearly engaged in conversation. Probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dinnermarshside01Dined on 7/7/2014Have been here before for lunch and brunch, first time for dinner. Food was outstanding, drinks and wine we excellent and service and ambience were superb. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchPeteDined on 7/6/2014Brunch before Red Sox. Nice day so windows open. Waiter was friendly, fun and attentive. Bloody Mary's excellent! Would recommend for Brunch!Special Features:
- Always funDeeDeeDined on 7/1/2014Love this place. Have been three times this year and each time was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantjerriVIPDined on 7/1/2014great food, service and atmosphere and nice peopleSpecial Features:
- Gluten free brunch!BostonerDined on 6/29/2014Gluten free brunch options, including toast? Yes please! The food here is delicious and they are so accommodating to allergies. I love this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodlauraDined on 6/28/2014We were seated promptly at reservation time, given choice of table by the front that was open to the outdoors (fabulous weather) or further back. Chose further back for more comfortable seating, larger tables, and still able to enjoy fact front was open to outside. Tables near the opening, while inviting, are small and very close together - different experience. Service great - very timely - and they were busy but not hectic on Saturday night. Great experience.Special Features:
- delightfulLindaVIPDined on 6/28/2014delicious food, amazing staff, great place after day if shopping on newbury st! the burger is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchTHISVIPDined on 6/21/2014Super location and very friendly staff. Great brunch location for large and small groups. Will return.Special Features:
- Casual, yet Refined...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2014I love Sonsie because it is an open air restaurant with delicious food and great ambience!! They use really fresh ingredients. The pizza is awesome. As a bonus it is reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But No Longer the BestAtomcRoketDined on 6/8/2014Sonsie was my favorite brunch spot in Boston for a long time, but I just went back after probably a couple years since my last visit there. The music was so loud that it felt like being a club, which isn't really the vibe I want at brunch. And I noticed that the amount of salmon in the Smoked Salmon Bagel was cut in half, but the price hadn't changed. The Bloody Mary was delicious. Overall, still a good brunch spot, but it seems the quality is diminishing.Special Features:
- Fun placeBrunoDined on 6/6/2014I love sonsie, great staff and food , sonsie is one of my favorite places in the summer the other being Biagios in waltham ma.