Sonsie - Boston
327 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Sonsie - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonsieboston.com/
- Phone: 6173512500x
- Hours of Operation:
Pastries Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
Pizzas served daily to 1230am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Sonsie - Boston
Sonsie celebrates twenty one years on Boston's famous Newbury Street serving top-notch International cuisine from award-winning Chef Bill Poirier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sonsie - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (59)hot spot (59)fit for foodies (52)great for brunch (51)romantic (47)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (41)special occasion (38)great for lunch (33)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (17)scenic view (16)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- food was delicious. great fall menuMonikaDined on 10/19/2014This was our first time here. They don't have a liquor license that let's you take the wine bottle with you if you don't finish so I bought wine by the glass. They did have good choices for wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch BuddiesAMCCMCDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed a yummy brunch. Food was delicious. Table footprint is small which made service for 3 crowded. All the same, I would go again, especially when the doors to the street are wide open and the weather is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!MollyKDined on 10/18/2014Fun place to brunch on Newbury. The front of restaurant is open to the street which is lovely on a nice day. Complementary warm blueberry muffins and cranberry bread were amazing, melt in your mouth! Food was all delicious and responsibly priced. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuDiningDivaDined on 10/16/2014We had a great meal here. They have an interesting food menu and the atmosphere was great! Perfect for our group.Special Features:
- Great lunch!sigalakiDined on 10/16/2014Had a great lunch. Waguy burger was amazing and so was my quesadilla pizza.Special Features:
- Eh.JAM6Dined on 10/5/2014Love the atmosphere, food isn't that great. Several members in our party were underwhelmed by their meals.Special Features:
- DisappointedbackbaybrunchDined on 10/5/2014We've been there couple of times before, but they were really horrible this time we went. We made a reservation for a table, but apparently some other guests "stole" it, and we had to wait for 20 minutes to get our seats. Service was very bad. Took forever to take our orders and food did not come until after 30 minutes!!! Staff was rude and unfriendly.
- One of my Boston favssmatDined on 10/3/2014Sonsie's was a favorite of mine while living in Boston. The ambiance & menu are just superb. Without feeling stuffy & over-the-top, Sonsie is a perfect place to grab an excellent cocktail, delicious appetizers & perfect dinner. Sonsie really has a great vibe for any occasion. Whether it be a quick & relaxing week-night dinner with girlfriends or a romantic dinner out with my boyfriend on a Saturday night -- it's just perfect!Special Features:
- DisappointingLovetograze1Dined on 10/2/2014Our waitress had a very professional veneer and very efficient but somehow we felt something was missing- our experience felt impersonal. My main course was monkfish - the fish was tender and perfectly cooked but I felt the sauce, though nice, overpowered the delicate fish. It was a very small piece of fish too. My husband had the Waygu beef burger. The meat was tender as is expected and my husband asked for it to be cooked 'medium' it was burnt on the outside edge as was the bun. This made it dry and not as it should be. The chips also seemed overcooked - it wasn't great to be honest.
- Best on newbury450painterDined on 9/30/2014We had outstanding good and service. It was wuiter than most. And the waiter we had was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime brunch fav. on NewburyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Great food, nice decor. Was crowded so service could not quite keep up. Will for sure go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!luv2dineDined on 9/27/2014I took my boyfriend here to celebrate our anniversary and am so happy I did. The service was amazing and the food was even better. Among several other things, we tried the seasonal apple puree and scallop dish which was incredible. This is a great place for a date night as well as for a night out with friends. I highly recommend to anyone who appreciates good food and a great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SonsieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great service and wonderful meal. Pork Chop exceptional and sea bream good. Would recommend to friends going to Boston. Location to Hilton made a great walk in the evening of 10 minutes.Special Features:
- I should keep it a secret...suefromsalemDined on 9/27/2014As I walked down Newbury Street, I noticed the bar-like outdoor dining and thought, "What did my friend recommend?" We always like a subtle, classic dining experience. Well as soon as I walked inside, I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, if you want to 'be seen' or just people watch while sipping a beverage and a bite, this is the place. But if you want to sit in a classic atmosphere and enjoy a wonderful dining experience, Sonsie's that place. We enjoyed a combination of appetizers, salads and vegetables for a great, eclectic dinner before Symphony. The bartender knew exactly how to 'brew' a negroni and my gibson was very good. Our wait person new exactly what questions to ask us regarding how we liked out drinks. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's ok, service is truly awfulE2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Appetizers, drinks, and dessert were great. The entrees were just OK. The salmon is a random mishmash of ingredients in an attempt to mask the overlooked quality of the fish. The fish was dry. There was a random smattering of guacamole and radish. The restaurant is super loud near the bar. The service was really poor. The waitress kept putting drinks with the wrong people, the wrong dishes to the wrong people. I got a steak knife even though I was eating fish. No one at the table was eating steak either. They were really rushing us to get out of there. One of the apps was not even half way done and they wanted to take it away. It's too bad. This place could be great. I am definitely not returning for dinner but I might try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niteoutVIPDined on 9/19/2014Overall good experience. Had dinner with my 30 year old daughter and her friend. Service was prompt, friendly and efficient. Two of us had the halibut special, which was excellent. My daughter ordered a hamburger, medium rare. It came closer to medium well. She was very hungry, so ate it rather than sent it back, but said her dinner was "disappointing". We shared a few different desserts, and they were all delicious. It's a very noisy restaurant, but we knew that going in. I like Sonsie, but usually go with my kids rather than "older" adults. I generally prefer a more quiet and relaxing place when dining with my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goBoston32VIPDined on 9/6/2014Staff was amazing. Beyond excellent service! Drinks delicious. Food was good. What more could you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 9/1/2014A must when in boston, always a good meal! Food service and atmosphere! A PLUS.Special Features:
- MentalistDined on 8/31/2014My second visit and enjoyed it immensely the calamari is as good as I get at home(Southern spain) and our waitress was very friendly( Chelsea)Special Features:
- PriceChopperVIPDined on 8/30/2014Goat Cheese Pizza and a table next to the sidewalk to take in the breeze! Excellent! So glad we got the perfect spot with short notice thanks to OpTab!
- Sonsie RocksRocketDined on 8/23/2014We went on a Saturday night at 9 PM. The restaurant was loud and busy which was to our liking as it created a certain ambiance. We sat at a small cafe table in the front area with a "people watching" view of Newbury Street. Our server, Jennifer, was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. The food was excellent in presentation, quality and quantity. Overall, the experience was great and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MentalistDined on 8/23/2014Service was very professional but felt slightly rushed however not in a rude way don't like table being cleared whilst other diners are still eating food and value great for me a little too dark and noisy with a packed bar so close but my family and I had a good time and I would thoroughly recommend dinner try the duck and pork tacos in particularSpecial Features:
- maiaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Please applaud your reception- and wait-staff because from the moment we walked into the restaurant, they graciously welcomed us to the restaurant and sat us exactly at the kind of quiet table (in the medium back) that we had requested! To our delight, our waiter served us most attentively on the evening that we dined. And the food was positively scrumptious! It was familiar food, but prepared in unique and especially flavorful ways that left us feeling quite sated on all levels! Our son and daughter-in-law who live in Boston positively love Sonsie's and directed us here...we can fully understand their reasons for loving Sonsies, as now we will loudly sing its praises too!!! Thank you to all who made for us a memorable dining experience!Special Features:
- We Will ReturneclementsDined on 8/15/2014The first time we visited Sonsie was with a large group of 12 (two families). We didn't have a reservation but they were able to fit us into a private dining area that they had downstairs which worked out very well for us. We all enjoyed it and had lots of delicious nibbles, pizzas and several raved about the wagyu burgers. We decided to return again with a smaller group of 4 and were seated upstairs. As other reviewers have indicated, it is LOUD. It is hard to hear and we had to ask our waiter to repeat himself many times. Our food was very good and service was fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Restaurant was louder than I expected and remembered. Had to yell to hear each other. Overall menu was satisfactory. Food was good burger great, but otherwise nothing special. Not appropriate for a business dinner, but ok for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotjackjackDined on 8/9/2014Went here for a date with my girlfriend. Drinks, food and service was awesome. The energy in the bar was perfect for a romantic date but also a a very "hip" environment. We had a great time and would recommend this spot to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPbarDined on 8/9/2014We were disappointed in Sonsie. we were looking forward to a delicious, romantic dinner dining alfresco on Newbury Street. We were seated in the over crowded cafe area, four or five "rows" removed from the open sidewalk area, and the tables were on top of each other. The entree options were limited and boring. We opted to for appetizers and a pizza. Not what we had in mind when we booked. Pbar
- NiceDined on 8/6/2014Great to people watch, drink and eat. Had a great time!Special Features:
- Yummy flor de sauco!macattack711VIPDined on 7/30/2014They have a drink called the flor de sauco with tequila, elderflower, and cucumber, and you have to try one! It was so good I had to try 3!! And now I am lusting for them! The food and drinks came so quickly for a peak time (7:30), it was unbelievable! I enjoyed my chopped salad. I believe my friend enjoyed her pizza and the fries had great flavor (they were a little soft by the time I tried them, but she assured me there some of her favorites in the city). I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Classic NewberryDinnerWithAViewDined on 7/28/2014The open air seating in the front was wonderful. Even with scaffolding on the front there was still a feeling of being right in the heart of Back Bay and provided a great spot for people watching on Newberry. The food was delicious, especially the Chipotle Chicken Pizza. The waitress was very educated on the menu and helpful without being pushy. I would definitely recommend it to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sarahjaneDined on 7/28/2014good food...great service...pleasant atmosphere...thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pnwvVIPDined on 7/27/2014My only complaint was that our server was too attentative. No sooner would you finish something and she would be waiting to take the empty whetever away. It just made us feel a bit rushed.Special Features:
- so so experiencenickeyblueiDined on 7/26/2014We got there and the ambiance was warm and friendly and we got a table overlooking the street so that was cool. However that's where it stopped being great. The drinks we got were completely watered down and not very tasty. I got the eggplant ravioli and it was bland and flavorless floating in a green basil water that did not add any flavor. The mozzarella was tough and rubbery and the service was only so so. Not a great night but I might try it again.Special Features:
- Great food, fun locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014The food was great and service was quick. We requested a spot near the windows and that is exactly what we got. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Food is perfect, drinks are strong and delicious and the staff is friendly and beautiful. Good place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location Yes, Food NoBetaDVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great location and a lovely decor but the food was not very good. I had a burger that I ordered medium which came out way past well done. My wife order a pasta dish and it looked like the pasta had been soaking in bath water all day, not good. Stop in for a drink but don't waste you money on the food.
- Best for BrunchTaylorDined on 7/20/2014We visit Boston 2 or 3 times each summer for baseball and we always have brunch at Sonsie - it's great!Special Features:
- JackieDined on 7/19/2014Great dinner and very helpful and accomadating wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and small portions!LJG923Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I selected Sonsie as one of our places for dinner on our 3 day weekend in Boston based on the great reviews! We are both foodies and enjoy good wine and beer. First, the noise level at Sonsie was horrible. We could barely hear each other speaking from across a small 2 person table. The waitress was amazing at explaining the food - but the menu was limited and very specific. The wine list was difficult to read and included primarily foreign wines. The draft list was less than impressive. I wouldn't eat here again.Special Features:
- DebbieDebbieVIPDined on 7/17/2014More than outstanding. Food was awesome. Gnocchi special was melt in your mouth. Highly highly recommend and would return every time I visit Boston. Loved it! Food was outstanding, and service was great...friendly, personable and professional.Special Features: