Sons of Essex
133 Essex St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sons of Essex
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonsofessexnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 674-7100
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday & Wednesday 6:00pm to 11:00pm (kitchen closes at 10:00pm)
Thursday 6:00pm to 1:00am (kitchen closes at 11:00pm)
Friday 6:00pm to Late
Saturday 6:30pm to Late
(Friday - Saturday kitchen closes at midnight)
Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm (kitchen closes at 4pm)
Sunday ALL DAY BRUNCH 11:00am to 8:00pm (limited dinner menu available after 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Reflection Israel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have several options for private dining and off-site catering at either one of our private venues or anywhere you desire. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Entertainment: Throwback Hip-Hip Hop & Party Jams Every Night
DJs on Friday & Saturday Nights
- Special Events: We have several options for private dining and off-site catering at either one of our private venues or anywhere you desire. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Sons of Essex
The Sons of Essex menu is a reflection of the diverse melting pot of cultures within the Lower East Side. The old school 'Bowery Boys' atmosphere and 'Gangs of New York' vibe pay homage to the history of the Lower East Side, fusing a traditional american comfort food menu with a range of spices from LES immigrants of the past and local ingredients including Essex Street Market fruits & vegetables. Grub on!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sons of Essex reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (60)hot spot (37)great for brunch (35)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (33)special occasion (14)romantic (13)late-night find (13)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Great ambiance and the food was well prepared. But, their best asset was the service. Everyone, from the host, to the waitress, to the service attendants were on point the entire evening. Excellent!Special Features:
- One serveraprilluv4VIPDined on 11/2/2014There was one server for the whole restaurant during brunch. He was frantic but got everything we needed but over time and with reminders. The food is hit and miss. The duck hash needed flavor and the lobster tostadas were just three nacho chips with lobster on it. The kale salad was great though. One friend had to order another entree because Of the tiny lobster dish, which cost 19 dollars. Good ambiance but not sure if I will go back.Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantPaulVIPDined on 11/1/2014They play old school hip hop classics, great scene, trendy, cool, and fun. Food is awesome and the service is fantastic.Special Features:
- Not as good as I rememberNewyorkerVIPDined on 10/31/2014The bar scene was fine and the bartenders were wonderful. The dinner service was rushed although the place was not very busy at all especially for a Friday night. I felt as if the waiter agreed to our requests but then ignored them completely. Food was still good but unfortunately bad service can ruin the whole experience. I will give it another chance but not anytime soon.
- Great Brunch SpotAlamodeVIPDined on 10/19/2014Went on SundY for brunch- group of 4. Young, lively crowd- we are 50+. Great atmosphere. Food good- not great- but atmosphere made up for it. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bizarre experiencefois99Dined on 10/12/2014Upon arriving and checking in for the reservation, the hostess quickly informed us that the kitchen was closing at 7pm (restaurant was to close at 8pm) and if we were to order for dinner, we must place our order as soon as we were to be seated (full party was not there yet)--if that was not pressure. We were seated with the pressure of texting the two other party members to get their orders in before the kitchen closed. Initially, we were handed dinner menus and once again reminded to place our orders quickly as the kitchen was closing. A couple of minutes later, ready to place order, we were told we had the wrong menus and instead of dinner, we should have gotten the brunch menu. After that we decided it was best to leave.
- Good food, bad customer serviceVeggieGirlDined on 10/12/2014Went with a group of 5 for brunch. The interior is very cool and the food was very good, but one of our party ordered the bagel with lox and cream cheese and received TOAST with lox. No one had said anything about toast instead of bagels, and when she asked they said "Oops, we ran out of bagels." She had to ask for cream cheese. When we complained about this, the waiter went into the back and came back offering us a dessert on the house to compensate. The TOAST that was never ordered should have been comped. Dessert is not a passable compensation for giving someone something they didn't order and not even warning them about it-- she easily could have ordered something else. Sad.Special Features:
- Always awesome!CandyVIPDined on 10/5/2014I frequent this place and it never disappoints! Love the lobster and salmon Benedict and the truffle Mac and cheese, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchLizz1212VIPDined on 10/5/2014Awesome affordable brunch. Options for something light or something if you are really hungry. I would go backSpecial Features:
- Glad I accidentaly ended up here...KaylaDined on 9/27/2014I chose this place on a whim because they had a reservation for 4 at 7:30 on a Saturday. Food was great. Service was great and they were extremely patient when some more people showed up to join for desert.Special Features:
- Thumbs up!JayfranDined on 9/27/2014Saturday brunch parties are the best. Great music, great vibe and the food is great as well. I always go with amazing people so I always have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Food was very good. The waitress forgot to put in an order for our sides and did not check on our table until we had finished eating to see if needed anything. The food also arrived very quickly so we felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative cuisine in the chill LESOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014This prohibition themed restaurant is just right. Awesome place to sit back and have one of many creative cocktails. Or enjoy fairly priced brunch at a great price. Definitely a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicecharley19Dined on 9/19/2014great service/food and cocktails, bartender was on the slow side & wasn't overly friendly. Our waiter Justin was great, great knowledge of the menu, made great suggestions for sharing and answered all our questions and then some. The short ribs are a must, the fish special was sea bass and also very good, pork chop was tender and juicy. Pizza was really good and perfect for sharing. the shrimp and grits were OK. not bad but not great. The bread pudding was disappointing so because of the shrimp & Grits and bread pudding I have to take a star off but go and enjoy - go early if you want to take your time we got there 7:30 and was empty and got packed by 8:30,We will all go backSpecial Features:
- Yummy, but don't linger too longJuneauEatsVIPDined on 9/19/2014We ate here early on a Friday night, since our guest needed to catch a train home. The food was delicious...I had the salmon, my guest ate mussels and my husband had pulled pork...all of us cleaned our plates. My only issue was that the staff tried to clear our table each time we put down the fork or glass and in fact, the waiter took my wine glass while there was still wine in it! I had to ask for it back. The mussels come with garlic bread and my friend wanted to soak up every drop of the sauce but several times the waiter tried to take his plate. This overzealousness to clear our table was annoying. I would still recommend it though as the food is very good...just don't turn your back on your food or else it might be cleared!Special Features:
- Great brunch spotBanana86Dined on 9/7/2014I purchased a Groupon for this place and it didn't disappoint. I got the brunch pizza, which was massive and so delicious. Waiter was very informative and attentive. Love the decor alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the LESt182288VIPDined on 9/7/2014I have to say, Sons of Essex was a place that i walked by so frequently and thought nothing of it; we came here for a brunch on a Sunday and will be back. Service was attentive but not pushy..They werent trying to turn tables like every other LES restaurant on Sunday ; coffee was awesome, truffle tatter tots are a home run but a little too greasy. Portions are huge! Worth sharing and getting a couple of things. We got the breakfast pizza and captain crunch french toast. I wanted to eat all of it but couldnt! Will be back! I applaud this place for everythingSpecial Features:
- Fabulous.GastroJoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I came here to celebrate my birthday on a whim and it was the best decision ever. Food was excellent and the service was stellar. Friendliest waitstaff. So accommodating. Music was on point. I have nothing but great things to say. Most importantly being - I CANNOT WAIT TO RETURN. Thanks for the memories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coked up waiternatasha23Dined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was on something. For a place that was only half full he was racing around like a maniac. He gave us the wrong drinks and food more than once during our dinner. He actually took the drink, that I'd already sipped on, and brought it directly to another table. He brought ALL of our food (appetizers and main courses) at the same time and then tried to tell us this was because it was "family style" dining. When the bill came he charged us for food and drinks we never ordered or received.
- Loved It!!!Dgirl518Dined on 8/17/2014I have been dying to check this place out, i found a groupon for brunch and it was so worth it, food was delicious, drinks were yummy, service was good and music was great, my friend and i, absolutely loved it and cant wait to go back and check out the dinner menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicedisappointedDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter -- tall guy with tattoos was amazing, made great food recommendations, was friendly and energetic, made the entire experience awesome.Special Features:
- Great Service most of the timeShamoneVIPDined on 8/13/2014Happy Hour is from 6-8; I ordered a drink at 556; instead of bartender saying is wasnt happy hr even thou she saw me looking at the menu that was annoying. Dinner service was great. The grits were very salty but we were able to order a different entree without a problem. Waitress and manager apologized deeply about grits and were very attentive even with using groupon. Absolutly love this place for dinner, bar not so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Bloody Mary Ever!YoMammaDined on 8/2/2014Food was good, waitress was friendly and accommodating. Sat brunch so hip-hop music was fresh, albeit a little loud. Probably would be a 4 star review except the pitcher of bloody mary: really gross, watery, just plain awful mix.
- mmttVIPDined on 7/30/2014lost it's cool vibe. food was not good & place smelled like cat urine
- Status Quo!CandyVIPDined on 7/20/2014I frequent this place for brunch and it nerve disappoints! I enjoy everything onm the brunch menu except the mac and cheese omlette and this week I had the salmon benedict which was amazing!Special Features:
- The following 279 reviews are from the Sons of Essex reviews archive.
- Great food bad tableHcoop13VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great time here, other than we were sat in a service station area with many other 2 tops open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibesJpgz07Dined on 7/18/2014The place has an excellent ambience, the service for me is one of the best (friendly, positive, smiley). The food is good, good portions, flavor and presentation but nothing out of the ordinary. I would come back definitely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulAWFULHIPSTERSDined on 7/13/2014Do not go there if you expect to have your food come out and a normal rate. we waited 15 minutes for a waitress had to ask for one to be found for us food took close to an hour to come out - and that was after i complained had my 18 month old son and the waitress - some russian chick- couldn't have cared less to try and get his dish rushed out of the kitchen. they had to give us 50% off - shouldn't have paid anything. i didn't leave a tip - she deserved nothing. and as we left i watched another table get up before their food even arrived. they had just received their drinks and left like 3 dollars for a tip - GO THEMSpecial Features:
- Food service extremely slow.SethVIPDined on 7/13/2014It took at least 50 minutes if not more for the food to come to the table after the order was placed The entire restaurant was complaining.
- Good times will be hadmove2eatDined on 7/12/2014The ain't to proud to brunch is like no other brunch I've ever been to. The ambience was nice and chill when we started our food and by the end of it, we were dancing it all off. There were plenty of young adults who could fit the bill for professionals, but they were clearly looking to have a good time. I'm a tad bit on the conservative side, so some of the music wasn't quite my thing, but it was a great outing with friends nonetheless. Oh, and most importantly about brunch, the food was great! Maybe a little two sweet or a little too spicy here and there, but still pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun brunchCandyVIPDined on 7/5/2014I come hear very ofter and as usual it never dissapoints!. Food is always great and on saturday they have DJ which plays old school music!Special Features:
- Not so good brunch andLor117VIPDined on 6/28/2014Plastic champagne glasses. Old, cheap, smelly, plastic champagne glasses and not so good food. I had the lobster Benedict- the lobster was chewy and not so fresh. My friends weren't impressed with their omelettes or Benedict's either. The service was good and the waitresses were friendly which was about the only good thing. The music is old school hip hop and pretty fun, if you're into that.Special Features:
- Sons of Essex Impresses AgainMaizenblu5Dined on 6/22/2014This was our second time we came to Sons of Essex for brunch. The food is great with some unique food options! Also the ambiance in the place is very cool.Special Features:
- glad i finally made itCharlezeDined on 6/14/2014I've heard awesome reviews and finally decided to give this place a try. Music was awesome and the food was spectacular. I had the shrimp and grits and it was the best i've had in recent past. Lastly the service was just phenominal. Very friendly and attentitive staff. Bravo S.O.E! Planning a birthday dinner there, hope its an equally great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place in the LESGozyDined on 6/11/2014Great date night spot but with several communal tables and a small sunken lounge it looks to favor larger groups too. There's nothing I have to say that's bad about this place. Great food, great atmosphere, and I loved the music. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014I came here with my boyfriend for a quick dinner since we were nearby. The place was rather empty for a Saturday night. It has a strange vibe of being high end, but with loud rap music and a hostess wearing torn cropped jeans and a backwards graffiti baseball cap. So I think they're trying to create a more urban feel. The decor and server uniforms though are very traditional, so it was rather odd to me. We shared the wings for an appetizer which were good. We also ordered the pork belly sliders and short ribs. Overall, the food and service were good, but it was a strange atmosphere. My only true complaint was the price of the cocktails. They were $14 each, which given the prices at nearby competitors, its just too high.
- Blah food...UWSDinerDined on 5/31/2014The food was pretty bad. The server was super pushy. The scene was nice though. Like the look and feel and pretty energetic. I would just go to get a drink, not dinner, which is what I expected anyway.Special Features:
- Out With The GuysFortuneFindsVIPDined on 5/25/2014Being that I frequent LES, this location has bren on my radar for some time and needless to say, it didn't disappoint. Attending on a Gilt City group voucher, a few friends and I dined for brunch. Although, we had a voucher, the service was devine! I must extend much gratitude to Brittany for her service and attention in general.The entrees we had were okay, not as pleasant as I anticipated, but definitely have to recommend the shrimp and grits. As for the portions, they were definitely enough to leave you fulfilled. On another note, I was bracing myself for overly loud music, but must admit, it was not the case. It's possible this was due to arriving on Sunday around 1:30. Regardless, definitely a great choice to attend with a few friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch food!spoilerdirectorDined on 5/25/2014My wife and I went for brunch via a Gilt City offer. We'd never been there before and the restaurant itself was really eclectic and interesting but it was the food that was truly outstanding. My wife couldn't stop raving about the shrimp and grits, I loved the original eggs benedict (though the english muffin was a bit tough to cut) and the Bloody Mary's were outstanding. I'd highly recommend it for brunch and we're going to check it out for dinner some night, too.Special Features:
- Fun placwRobbyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Very fun date spot. Rocking most nights. Food & drinks are good, atmosphere is great.Special Features: