Sons of Essex
133 Essex St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sons of Essex
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonsofessexnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 674-7100x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday & Wednesday 6:00pm to 11:00pm (kitchen closes at 10:00pm)
Thursday 6:00pm to 1:00am (kitchen closes at 11:00pm)
Friday 6:00pm to Late
Saturday 6:30pm to Late
(Friday - Saturday kitchen closes at midnight)
Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm (kitchen closes at 4pm)
Sunday ALL DAY BRUNCH 11:00am to 8:00pm (limited dinner menu available after 4:00pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Reflection Israel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have several options for private dining and off-site catering at either one of our private venues or anywhere you desire. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Entertainment: Throwback Hip-Hip Hop & Party Jams Every Night
DJs on Friday & Saturday Nights
- Special Events: We have several options for private dining and off-site catering at either one of our private venues or anywhere you desire. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Sons of Essex
The Sons of Essex menu is a reflection of the diverse melting pot of cultures within the Lower East Side. The old school 'Bowery Boys' atmosphere and 'Gangs of New York' vibe pay homage to the history of the Lower East Side, fusing a traditional american comfort food menu with a range of spices from LES immigrants of the past and local ingredients including Essex Street Market fruits & vegetables. Grub on!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sons of Essex reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (47)hot spot (38)great for brunch (33)vibrant bar scene (32)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)late-night find (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great food and servicecharley19Dined on 9/19/2014great service/food and cocktails, bartender was on the slow side & wasn't overly friendly. Our waiter Justin was great, great knowledge of the menu, made great suggestions for sharing and answered all our questions and then some. The short ribs are a must, the fish special was sea bass and also very good, pork chop was tender and juicy. Pizza was really good and perfect for sharing. the shrimp and grits were OK. not bad but not great. The bread pudding was disappointing so because of the shrimp & Grits and bread pudding I have to take a star off but go and enjoy - go early if you want to take your time we got there 7:30 and was empty and got packed by 8:30,We will all go backSpecial Features:
- Great brunch spotBanana86Dined on 9/7/2014I purchased a Groupon for this place and it didn't disappoint. I got the brunch pizza, which was massive and so delicious. Waiter was very informative and attentive. Love the decor alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the LESt182288VIPDined on 9/7/2014I have to say, Sons of Essex was a place that i walked by so frequently and thought nothing of it; we came here for a brunch on a Sunday and will be back. Service was attentive but not pushy..They werent trying to turn tables like every other LES restaurant on Sunday ; coffee was awesome, truffle tatter tots are a home run but a little too greasy. Portions are huge! Worth sharing and getting a couple of things. We got the breakfast pizza and captain crunch french toast. I wanted to eat all of it but couldnt! Will be back! I applaud this place for everythingSpecial Features:
- Fabulous.GastroJoVIPDined on 8/23/2014I came here to celebrate my birthday on a whim and it was the best decision ever. Food was excellent and the service was stellar. Friendliest waitstaff. So accommodating. Music was on point. I have nothing but great things to say. Most importantly being - I CANNOT WAIT TO RETURN. Thanks for the memories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coked up waiternatasha23Dined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was on something. For a place that was only half full he was racing around like a maniac. He gave us the wrong drinks and food more than once during our dinner. He actually took the drink, that I'd already sipped on, and brought it directly to another table. He brought ALL of our food (appetizers and main courses) at the same time and then tried to tell us this was because it was "family style" dining. When the bill came he charged us for food and drinks we never ordered or received.
- Loved It!!!Dgirl518Dined on 8/17/2014I have been dying to check this place out, i found a groupon for brunch and it was so worth it, food was delicious, drinks were yummy, service was good and music was great, my friend and i, absolutely loved it and cant wait to go back and check out the dinner menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicedisappointedDined on 8/16/2014Our waiter -- tall guy with tattoos was amazing, made great food recommendations, was friendly and energetic, made the entire experience awesome.Special Features:
- Great Service most of the timeShamoneVIPDined on 8/13/2014Happy Hour is from 6-8; I ordered a drink at 556; instead of bartender saying is wasnt happy hr even thou she saw me looking at the menu that was annoying. Dinner service was great. The grits were very salty but we were able to order a different entree without a problem. Waitress and manager apologized deeply about grits and were very attentive even with using groupon. Absolutly love this place for dinner, bar not so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Bloody Mary Ever!YoMammaDined on 8/2/2014Food was good, waitress was friendly and accommodating. Sat brunch so hip-hop music was fresh, albeit a little loud. Probably would be a 4 star review except the pitcher of bloody mary: really gross, watery, just plain awful mix.
- mmttVIPDined on 7/30/2014lost it's cool vibe. food was not good & place smelled like cat urine
- Status Quo!CandyVIPDined on 7/20/2014I frequent this place for brunch and it nerve disappoints! I enjoy everything onm the brunch menu except the mac and cheese omlette and this week I had the salmon benedict which was amazing!Special Features:
- Great food bad tableHcoop13VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great time here, other than we were sat in a service station area with many other 2 tops open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibesJpgz07Dined on 7/18/2014The place has an excellent ambience, the service for me is one of the best (friendly, positive, smiley). The food is good, good portions, flavor and presentation but nothing out of the ordinary. I would come back definitely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulAWFULHIPSTERSDined on 7/13/2014Do not go there if you expect to have your food come out and a normal rate. we waited 15 minutes for a waitress had to ask for one to be found for us food took close to an hour to come out - and that was after i complained had my 18 month old son and the waitress - some russian chick- couldn't have cared less to try and get his dish rushed out of the kitchen. they had to give us 50% off - shouldn't have paid anything. i didn't leave a tip - she deserved nothing. and as we left i watched another table get up before their food even arrived. they had just received their drinks and left like 3 dollars for a tip - GO THEMSpecial Features:
- Food service extremely slow.SethVIPDined on 7/13/2014It took at least 50 minutes if not more for the food to come to the table after the order was placed The entire restaurant was complaining.
- Good times will be hadmove2eatDined on 7/12/2014The ain't to proud to brunch is like no other brunch I've ever been to. The ambience was nice and chill when we started our food and by the end of it, we were dancing it all off. There were plenty of young adults who could fit the bill for professionals, but they were clearly looking to have a good time. I'm a tad bit on the conservative side, so some of the music wasn't quite my thing, but it was a great outing with friends nonetheless. Oh, and most importantly about brunch, the food was great! Maybe a little two sweet or a little too spicy here and there, but still pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun brunchCandyVIPDined on 7/5/2014I come hear very ofter and as usual it never dissapoints!. Food is always great and on saturday they have DJ which plays old school music!Special Features:
- Not so good brunch andLor117VIPDined on 6/28/2014Plastic champagne glasses. Old, cheap, smelly, plastic champagne glasses and not so good food. I had the lobster Benedict- the lobster was chewy and not so fresh. My friends weren't impressed with their omelettes or Benedict's either. The service was good and the waitresses were friendly which was about the only good thing. The music is old school hip hop and pretty fun, if you're into that.Special Features:
- Sons of Essex Impresses AgainMaizenblu5Dined on 6/22/2014This was our second time we came to Sons of Essex for brunch. The food is great with some unique food options! Also the ambiance in the place is very cool.Special Features:
- glad i finally made itCharlezeDined on 6/14/2014I've heard awesome reviews and finally decided to give this place a try. Music was awesome and the food was spectacular. I had the shrimp and grits and it was the best i've had in recent past. Lastly the service was just phenominal. Very friendly and attentitive staff. Bravo S.O.E! Planning a birthday dinner there, hope its an equally great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place in the LESGozyDined on 6/11/2014Great date night spot but with several communal tables and a small sunken lounge it looks to favor larger groups too. There's nothing I have to say that's bad about this place. Great food, great atmosphere, and I loved the music. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/7/2014I came here with my boyfriend for a quick dinner since we were nearby. The place was rather empty for a Saturday night. It has a strange vibe of being high end, but with loud rap music and a hostess wearing torn cropped jeans and a backwards graffiti baseball cap. So I think they're trying to create a more urban feel. The decor and server uniforms though are very traditional, so it was rather odd to me. We shared the wings for an appetizer which were good. We also ordered the pork belly sliders and short ribs. Overall, the food and service were good, but it was a strange atmosphere. My only true complaint was the price of the cocktails. They were $14 each, which given the prices at nearby competitors, its just too high.
- Blah food...UWSDinerDined on 5/31/2014The food was pretty bad. The server was super pushy. The scene was nice though. Like the look and feel and pretty energetic. I would just go to get a drink, not dinner, which is what I expected anyway.Special Features:
- Out With The GuysFortuneFindsVIPDined on 5/25/2014Being that I frequent LES, this location has bren on my radar for some time and needless to say, it didn't disappoint. Attending on a Gilt City group voucher, a few friends and I dined for brunch. Although, we had a voucher, the service was devine! I must extend much gratitude to Brittany for her service and attention in general.The entrees we had were okay, not as pleasant as I anticipated, but definitely have to recommend the shrimp and grits. As for the portions, they were definitely enough to leave you fulfilled. On another note, I was bracing myself for overly loud music, but must admit, it was not the case. It's possible this was due to arriving on Sunday around 1:30. Regardless, definitely a great choice to attend with a few friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch food!spoilerdirectorDined on 5/25/2014My wife and I went for brunch via a Gilt City offer. We'd never been there before and the restaurant itself was really eclectic and interesting but it was the food that was truly outstanding. My wife couldn't stop raving about the shrimp and grits, I loved the original eggs benedict (though the english muffin was a bit tough to cut) and the Bloody Mary's were outstanding. I'd highly recommend it for brunch and we're going to check it out for dinner some night, too.Special Features:
- nycmommaVIPDined on 5/17/2014LOUD rap music. Quite a B&T scene on a Saturday night. Menu online does not match AT ALL it's menu in the restaurant. Food was nothing special, and lacked any real lfavor. Drinks were really small for $14. For a young hangout scene, perhaps, but for anyone who wants to actually eat, SKIP IT.Special Features:
- The following 263 reviews are from the Sons of Essex reviews archive.
- Best day party for hiphopAlwaysDrunkDined on 5/17/2014Too. Much. Fun. Aside from the fact I had to literally be carried out, I had the best time. I love SOE so much. I'd really like to work there. They always have the beast DJs and the best tater tots of all time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #A2P2B EventMsMooreDined on 5/17/2014I was visiting from Florida and heard about the monthly "Aint 2 Proud 2 Brunch" event that goes on here from 12-6pm. What a blast!!!! The pace was full of beautiful people, a dope DJ, $25 mimosa pitchers, and great food. The music was amazing! It turned into a full out club at 3om in the afternoon. I've never been to anything like it. I will def be flying in during June to catch the next one!!Special Features:
- Excellent find on LESJoePi0105VIPDined on 5/16/2014Great spot to pass a rainy Friday night in the city. Service was great, menu was diverse, and drinks were strong. A bit loud to have a conversation, but the DJ killed it with some 90's nostalgia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid weekend nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2014Music is way too loud for dinner on weekend nights.
- I'll be back ..Aniuta1210Dined on 5/15/2014I came here last night to celebrate my friends birthday (just the two of us). We ordered four "small" plates, which were far from small, so I would advise not to order too much at first. After the first two we were both full and wished we hadn't ordered the others. The buffalo rock shrimp = delicious, but very spicy. The Mac and Cheese was amazing, as was the lobster. The one "complaint" I would have is that another group was having a birthday party as well of about 20 people, which was not a seated dinner. They had hip hop music blasting and sparklers for bottles and cupcakes going around (at 8:30 pm), which was extremely distracting and made it difficult to hear the person sitting directly across from me. Overall, good experience.Special Features:
- Food is still goodJadeTreeVIPDined on 5/13/2014Pork belly sliders are really good and so is the truffle mac and cheese. My friend got the kale salad and supplemented it with steak. It was a really good entree portion. The restaurant is really charming and the bartenders are the best. You must try the white sangria, now summer is approaching and its darn good!Special Features:
- JBLEFVIPDined on 5/11/2014A little disappointed with the brunch. Wouldn't go back for brunch, because it really is not a brunch at all. However, I would imagine that it is good for a casual dinner.
- Meh.deenamitaDined on 5/9/2014Two of us shared a few of the small plates - lobster-on-chip things, pork belly, kale ceasar salad, mushroom flatbread. They were good, just not fabulous. For the price, they should be amazing! but instead fell quite short of savory. For example, the pork belly should have melted in my mouth but didn't. Physically I was sated, but mentally very disappointed. I should point out this food was consumed sober, maybe that was part of the problem!Special Features:
- Great food, Excellent chefesolidarityDined on 5/9/2014This was my first time here for dinner. Good menu with solid choices. Food served on time and hot. Very well prepared, and seasoned perfectly. The place gets loud later in the evening but if you can get there early you can enjoy the conversation along with the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DisgustingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2014I don't write reviews often, but this restaurant was extremely disappointing. My friend and I actually bought a Gilt coupon for here not reading it right, thinking it was Beauty and Essex. Either way, we thought we would try it. The pork belly sliders were beyond dry (how is that even possible?) and the pork chop was tasteless and the fried chicken was dry as well. Beyond overpriced as well. You don't find many bad restaurants in NYC, and we unfortunately landed on one while dropping $150.
- Fantastic food! Really cool place!value4moneyDined on 5/3/2014Soooo delicious. They have a very non-traditional but super tasty pizza The hamburger was also really good. Great value for money!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gilt BrunchbqorplainDined on 5/3/2014Good for brunch. The tots and mac and cheese were incredible. The omelet was just ok but the rest of the brunch entrees were great. The music was extremely loud but not sure if that means I am getting too old :)Special Features:
- All Day BrunchBlackBourgDined on 4/27/2014Took my lady here and it was great as usual. Such an energetic and unique venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better places in NYCClueVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our server was absolutely terrible- the restaurant was out of most of the food / drink selections by 2 pm. We never mind paying a lot to have a good meal, but this place left us with 100% regret of ordering just 3 appetizers and no drinks (due to the lack of menu availability) for $60. No thanks.Special Features: