Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
500 Burrowing Owl Place
Oliver, BC V0H 1T1Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bovwine.ca/the_restaurant.html
- Phone: 2504986202x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Tapas: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Hours will vary between November and May please call to check during those dates.
Seasonal Closure - Mid December - Mid February
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brock Bowes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A number of options are available for private dining that include utilizing the penthouse suite of the onsite exclusive guesthouse, the wine shop and the Sonora Room itself. All options are based on availability and seasonality. Enquire for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Coulthard 2504980620x
A word from Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
The South Okanagan has gained a well deserved reputation as a desirable destination for tourists seeking an agricultural and culinary experience. The Sonora Room at Burrowing Owl Estate Winery features prominently in this regard with its epicurean excellence, superb service, relaxed style and scenic splendour. The restaurant overlooks 146 acres of picturesque vineyard from the patio or inside the warm and inviting dining room. The philosophy of the talented culinary team is to embrace the opportunity to showcase many of the South Okanagan’s local producers. Dishes are created that utilize an array of local organic produce, seasonal fruits and artisan cheeses, and pair perfectly with Burrowing Owl's award winning wines. The exclusive wine list includes a selection of Burrowing Owl's current vintages, and library wines that are no longer publicly available for sale. Creative cuisine, impeccable service and a beautiful venue highlight the great agricultural diversity of the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery - Best Restaurants in Oliver ›
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (131)great for outdoor dining (121)fit for foodies (95)notable wine list (94)special occasion (91)romantic (90)great for lunch (64)good for groups (20)great for brunch (19)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I very much enjoyed my meal the night we were there. Outstanding touch was the wild mushrooms! I really want to return and sample more of the entrees. Loved the creme carmel and the added touch of two truffles!!Special Features:
- Early Arrival For Best ViewMalbeccatDined on 10/11/2014If there isnt a breeze... make sure you check out the patio, the view is amazing. The Staff were friendly and the food was amazing. Try not to get there too late or you will miss the observation deck :)Special Features:
- Amazing lunch.luvtodineDined on 10/10/2014An amazing view of the wine yard, excellent food and service. An observation tower and stairwell that allows views of the different levels and explanation of the wine making process. If you are visiting Osoyoos or Oliver BC, visit Burrowing Owl winery!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceAlbertaWinersDined on 10/8/2014Two years ago we were at the Wine Festival and tried to get an outside table at the Sonora Room...no luck so we decided to wait for another year. It was well worth the wait! The food was excellent and very good value for your dollar. Burrowing Owl wines are great and there were lots to choose. The view was outstanding. We would definitely recommend this restaurant for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Evening2die4Dined on 10/4/2014I have to say, it was a magical evening. It was a big night, my steak was exquisite and in the end, I proposed marriage to my girlfriend of two years. I asked if the staff could help me do something special and it was. Our dining room matron left two glasses of champagne and a candle on the deck, so when we got out there the moment was perfect. Oh and she said, "yes".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionlalalaDined on 9/28/2014I go to the Okanagan every 2-4 years and always plan a lunch at the restaurant… Always good ,fresh food ,great view,ambience,wine and great service…. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Patio in OsoyoosSeoulfoodsDined on 9/28/2014Probably the most beautiful winery in "the Golden Mile" of the Osoyoos wine country. The restaurant (Sonora Room) overlooks acres of vines and is quite spectacular. Its worth going just for the amazing view. The food was decent. Do not order the short rib special its just pasta and no short rib in sight. But do try the duck confit I would say is the best in their menu. The food is pricey even for lunch but if you want to experience Osoyoos at its finest do give it a visit and then head up to the observation deck for a birds eye view of the entire winery. Bon appetite!Special Features:
- Charming despite the rainOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Wonderful lunch that was beautifully cooked and presented. Even though it was raining, the view was great and the table on the balcony was cozy as it was heated. OUr friends from England were impressed. The wine was delightful also. Will come back the next time I am in Osoyoos.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch2eat2liveDined on 9/24/2014We arrived on time after calling to say we would be late. Our window table was not available (our fault) BUT we were moved immediately it became available. Service was outstanding - very knowledgeable. Knew where the food came from and how prepared. Food was excellent, very tasty carrot soup that was NOT sweet, hurrah! The antipasti plate was ample for two with some interesting combinations. Will try it at home. We three shared the Napoleon pastry - very rich but very smooth. It was served with an apricot sorbet that could have been served on it's own. Have eaten there before and will eat there again.Special Features:
- VeespopDined on 9/20/2014The service we had was horrible. There were probably 8 other people in the restaurant and our group of 7. It took over 2 hours for our meals to arrive.Special Features:
- DisappointedNaokoFDined on 9/20/2014We were extremely disappointed with quality of food. This was our first time we couldn't wait to get out of the restaurant. Really too bad.Special Features:
- PerfectRyanDined on 9/20/2014Everything about Burrowing Owl is perfect. The wine, the food, the view, the service, everything. We went for our first wedding anniversary and had lunch overlooking the vineyard and it couldn't have been better. I had duck confit with gnocchi and chorizo and a flight of reds from 2005; my wife had a flight of whites, seared tuna and the daily soup which was local squash. Everything was carefully and thoughtfully prepared. We'll go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a bad night?FoodluvrDined on 9/15/2014Our experiences at Borrowing Owl have previously been great. We had halibut that was oversalted, dried out, and not even heated all the way through. This was Monday September 15th, our 30th anniversary celebration dinner. Perhaps it was the "real" chef's night off, not uncommon on a Monday.
- Perfect setting, great food, wineJimcrescentheightsVIPDined on 9/15/2014We had an early dinner at Burrowing Owl on a perfect night. We sat on the patio overlooking the pool and watched the sun set over the vineyards. What a beautiful night!. The tuna appetizer was the star of the evening. We feared on fresh fish plus beautiful wines from the vineyard. The service was casual, but the timing was just perfect.Special Features:
- Perfect September DaySkybalDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I were at Burrowing Owl for lunch/Brunch. We had a great table on the sun deck and a beautiful view of the valley and vineyard. The service and food were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRopemanDined on 9/12/2014We sat on the deck overlooking the vineyards. Early evening diner for two. Very good service. Outstanding food. They feature their own wines from the burrowing owl winery but there were other choices, as well as a full bar. Be sure to ask for a table on the South side otherwise you will be getting full sun in the evening.Special Features:
- Spectacular settingdabbleDined on 9/11/2014Worth the drive, would look at making it an overnight visit the next timeSpecial Features:
- Fantastic view, fantastic food!!Fabulousat40Dined on 9/6/2014The view from the veranda is just gorgeous! The food was amazing as was the service. My only complaint was the hostess seating us was a rude and not very accommodating. Not a great first impression. Thankfully our server was great and the whole experience was awesome!Special Features:
- Memorable MealFlatlanderDined on 9/3/2014Was there for lunch during a wine tour, liked it so much we came back for dinner. One of the best meals we've had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but Unequal ServiceYEGfoodieVIPDined on 9/2/2014Love the local influence in the dishes, which were executed very well. The prices are fairly high and seem to have gone up quite a bit from when we first visited this restaurant. We received fairly poor service this time, which I suspect was due to a new server in training as other tables around us seemed to have no problem getting their water glasses topped up, the attention of their servers and explanations of their dishes. We might have ordered more wine (the Burrowing Owl library wines are well stocked), but we could not get a top up of water throughout the entire meal.Special Features:
- Great deckkokoDined on 9/1/2014Awesome view from the deck. Great wine and really good food. Friendly knowledgeable server. A very nice setting.Special Features:
- Experience didn't fit the settingUdubberDined on 8/31/2014Beautiful setting...nice decor...food had pretentions of gourmet but wasn't prepared well....duck pate wasn't very smooth...salmon was cooked nicely but was swimming in a beef broth with undercooked potatoes...the wine recommended for the salmon was a pinot noir...odd choice. The service was great. The server was attentive and offered to correct some food problems. But the restaurant was in a fantastic location! Beautiful scenery!Special Features:
- MarioDined on 8/31/2014The service was amazing and the food was spectacularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/20147 of us dined here and chose different options. The lunch main dishes were limited to 5 options which is fine. 2 them however were no better than pub food. The lamb sausage was just like a spiced dry hotdog in a dry bread. The pulled pork on a bun tasted ok but I can also get this kind of food in a pub.
- Expensive for what you getNicoleVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were at Sonora room for dinner before and the food (quality and quantity) was superior and fair price for what we ate. This time, it was clearly over priced for the quantity. No bread. We made reservation yet they do not reserve outside tables. There are other excellent choices of restaurant with a view in the area which we have gone to many times. Will not return for lunch but will consider for dinner.Special Features:
- Nice viewluv2wineDined on 8/30/2014The view was nice, it was a lovely sunny day and the winery was busy. However, we had reservations and thought we would be seated on the patio but were informed the patio was running an hour behind, even for those who had made reservations. We were a bit disappointed but we were given a table near the windows so we were able to see the vineyards. The service was good. The food was tasty but not as good as we had recalled it being during our last visit. We ordered the charcuterie board and the special, which was a very nicely done meatball sandwich - tasted better than it sounds! Overall it was a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch with a viewDanikaVIPDined on 8/30/2014this is the second time we went to this restaurant. I totally recommend this place. They have great views of the vineyard and Okanagan lake. The food is really good; we had the pesto linguine and goat cheese souffle.Special Features:
- Disappointed ExperienceCalliouxDined on 8/28/2014The dining room is beautiful with gorgeous vineyard views. We were a party of 3 adults with no special requests or allergies to manage. The food we ordered was excellent but took over an hour to arrive. We were almost done a bottle of wine (2 people). We had to ask if the food was coming. When it finally did arrive there was no apology or explanation. Tables of other guests had already received their orders. After we finished the dessert menu was offered. We declined dessert but we're not offered tea or coffee- the server arrived immediately with the bill, as we were being dismissed. It was a very disappointing evening- it was my Dad's 78th birthday....Special Features:
- awesome sceneryDebbieDined on 8/25/2014the view was wonderful.great staff but our steaks were undercooked and had very little flavor. Not a nice meal.Special Features:
- WE loved it!PK58Dined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our special anniversary dinner at Burrowing Owl Estae Winery - Sonora Restaurant! The food was spectacular and the service was excellent. We sat outside on deck facing over the vineyards and the view of the mountain. It was raining a bit at first and then sun appeared to produce a most beautiful and full double rainbow!!What a fabulous evening!!Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicePeachlandDined on 8/21/2014Karen, our server, was excellent. This made for a very enjoyable 3 course lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffyDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful scenic view. Food and wine was great. We had wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couples or Family Exquisite DiningHardtopleasefoodyDined on 8/19/2014Beautiful outdoor setting. No doubt food quality, presentation, substitutions,... Seasonal local ingredients fresh, used we imagination ex. green tomato refreshment, on the house, as an opener. Warm homemade bread. Try bouillabaise, polenta, cream of butternut squash with salsa verde couli, halibut, game meat cooked to demand. Staff polite, courteous, accommodating, knowledgeable, inquisitive, pleasing,... Excellent winery. A must dining restaurant.Special Features:
- FantasticAppreciativeDined on 8/19/2014Great place, not to be missed. Everything was beautifully prepared. The Cabernet Franc was outstanding and the young woman who served us was superb. The view from the balcony seating was magnificent. My wife and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRachelDined on 8/18/2014I have always enjoyed Burrowing Owls wines so was looking forward to dinner there. While the wait staff did a very good job, we experienced disappointment both on arrival and with the food. Through open table I made a 730 reservation at 930 in the morning and requested a patio table. When we arrived we were told they are first come first serve and had to sit inside. At all the other wineries we have dined at this week we were able to reserve outside seating. Two of us ordered fish - it was overcooked and the potatoes under cooked. The staff did offer to replate but by then the rest of our party was finished their food so it was too late to start over again. They did take one fish dinner off the bill. We will not return.Special Features:
- Amazing beautiful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We treated ourselves to a beautiful dinner at Burrowing Owl and it was perfect. Enjoying a glass of wine overlooking the vineyard was perfect. The meal added to the whole experience. Cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Dining - Burrowing Owl, August 2014BGEatingOutDined on 8/16/2014As ever, this visit to the Sonora Room was wonderful. The ambiance, food, wine and service were impeccable. the duck breast with a 2005 Meritage were to die for. This is one of our two favorite high end restaurants, the other being Mama's Fish House, on Maui.Special Features:
- Dinner outdoorsFuninthesunDined on 8/14/2014Fabulous food!! Nice outdoor seating with heaters for the evening. The antipasto plate was unbelievable!! But if you're planning to have an entree you might want to share with at least 4 people!! We shared the halibut which was cooked to perfection!! I haven't had better anywhere!! Our server Heidi was great. For desert we had creme brûlée - the best I have ever had!!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Once again we had a very nice lunch at the Sonoran room - it never disappoints. The view, even on a very unusual cloudy damp day was outstanding and, as always, service, meals and wine were most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodOkanaganMikeDined on 8/12/2014I have eaten here half a dozen times over the years. The food without exception has always been stellar, and the chefs have always been able to accommodate those in our party with dietary concerns and not make them feel like second class diners. Our party agreed that the elk dinner special was to die for. Personally, I don't drink, and at $52 for the four glasses of wine my children had at dinner, I can see why! Still, for me, the view, ambiance, impeccable service, and incredible food make Burrowing Owl a must-visit venue when we have company and want to go somewhere extra special. It is always worth the drive from Penticton.Special Features: