Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
500 Burrowing Owl Place
Oliver, BC V0H 1T1Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bovwine.ca/the_restaurant.html
- Phone: 2504986202x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Tapas: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Hours will vary between November and May please call to check during those dates.
Seasonal Closure - Mid December - Mid February
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brock Bowes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A number of options are available for private dining that include utilizing the penthouse suite of the onsite exclusive guesthouse, the wine shop and the Sonora Room itself. All options are based on availability and seasonality. Enquire for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Coulthard 2504980620x
A word from Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery
The South Okanagan has gained a well deserved reputation as a desirable destination for tourists seeking an agricultural and culinary experience. The Sonora Room at Burrowing Owl Estate Winery features prominently in this regard with its epicurean excellence, superb service, relaxed style and scenic splendour. The restaurant overlooks 146 acres of picturesque vineyard from the patio or inside the warm and inviting dining room. The philosophy of the talented culinary team is to embrace the opportunity to showcase many of the South Okanagan’s local producers. Dishes are created that utilize an array of local organic produce, seasonal fruits and artisan cheeses, and pair perfectly with Burrowing Owl's award winning wines. The exclusive wine list includes a selection of Burrowing Owl's current vintages, and library wines that are no longer publicly available for sale. Creative cuisine, impeccable service and a beautiful venue highlight the great agricultural diversity of the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery - Best Restaurants in Oliver ›
Sonora Room Restaurant - Burrowing Owl Estate Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (118)great for outdoor dining (102)notable wine list (87)special occasion (85)fit for foodies (81)romantic (81)great for lunch (48)great for brunch (25)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Disappointed ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The dining room is beautiful with gorgeous vineyard views. We were a party of 3 adults with no special requests or allergies to manage. The food we ordered was excellent but took over an hour to arrive. We were almost done a bottle of wine (2 people). We had to ask if the food was coming. When it finally did arrive there was no apology or explanation. Tables of other guests had already received their orders. After we finished the dessert menu was offered. We declined dessert but we're not offered tea or coffee- the server arrived immediately with the bill, as we were being dismissed. It was a very disappointing evening- it was my Dad's 78th birthday....Special Features:
- awesome sceneryDebbieDined on 8/25/2014the view was wonderful.great staff but our steaks were undercooked and had very little flavor. Not a nice meal.Special Features:
- WE loved it!PK58Dined on 8/21/2014We enjoyed our special anniversary dinner at Burrowing Owl Estae Winery - Sonora Restaurant! The food was spectacular and the service was excellent. We sat outside on deck facing over the vineyards and the view of the mountain. It was raining a bit at first and then sun appeared to produce a most beautiful and full double rainbow!!What a fabulous evening!!Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Karen, our server, was excellent. This made for a very enjoyable 3 course lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffyDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful scenic view. Food and wine was great. We had wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAppreciativeDined on 8/19/2014Great place, not to be missed. Everything was beautifully prepared. The Cabernet Franc was outstanding and the young woman who served us was superb. The view from the balcony seating was magnificent. My wife and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRachelDined on 8/18/2014I have always enjoyed Burrowing Owls wines so was looking forward to dinner there. While the wait staff did a very good job, we experienced disappointment both on arrival and with the food. Through open table I made a 730 reservation at 930 in the morning and requested a patio table. When we arrived we were told they are first come first serve and had to sit inside. At all the other wineries we have dined at this week we were able to reserve outside seating. Two of us ordered fish - it was overcooked and the potatoes under cooked. The staff did offer to replate but by then the rest of our party was finished their food so it was too late to start over again. They did take one fish dinner off the bill. We will not return.Special Features:
- Amazing beautiful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We treated ourselves to a beautiful dinner at Burrowing Owl and it was perfect. Enjoying a glass of wine overlooking the vineyard was perfect. The meal added to the whole experience. Cant wait to go back.Special Features:
- Dining - Burrowing Owl, August 2014BGEatingOutDined on 8/16/2014As ever, this visit to the Sonora Room was wonderful. The ambiance, food, wine and service were impeccable. the duck breast with a 2005 Meritage were to die for. This is one of our two favorite high end restaurants, the other being Mama's Fish House, on Maui.Special Features:
- Dinner outdoorsFuninthesunDined on 8/14/2014Fabulous food!! Nice outdoor seating with heaters for the evening. The antipasto plate was unbelievable!! But if you're planning to have an entree you might want to share with at least 4 people!! We shared the halibut which was cooked to perfection!! I haven't had better anywhere!! Our server Heidi was great. For desert we had creme brûlée - the best I have ever had!!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Once again we had a very nice lunch at the Sonoran room - it never disappoints. The view, even on a very unusual cloudy damp day was outstanding and, as always, service, meals and wine were most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodOkanaganMikeDined on 8/12/2014I have eaten here half a dozen times over the years. The food without exception has always been stellar, and the chefs have always been able to accommodate those in our party with dietary concerns and not make them feel like second class diners. Our party agreed that the elk dinner special was to die for. Personally, I don't drink, and at $52 for the four glasses of wine my children had at dinner, I can see why! Still, for me, the view, ambiance, impeccable service, and incredible food make Burrowing Owl a must-visit venue when we have company and want to go somewhere extra special. It is always worth the drive from Penticton.Special Features:
- Incredible view and great food.EdmatmanDined on 8/9/2014Had 2 wonderful dinners here while staying as a guest at Burrowing Owl... Very relaxed evenings with excellent food ,service and incredible views of the vineyards and valley....highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burrowing OwlGoodeatsDined on 8/8/2014The food was not bad. Maybe trying a little too hard. Chicken is amazing, seafood is so-so. A little bland. Needs to be simplified. Too many different foods on one plate for the mains and a a few of the appys. I left still feeling hungry and I'm not a big eater. Service is great, the view is gorgeous and the wine was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We had a great seat on the south deck as the sun went down and the moon came up, really good. Service was good and food was as good any we have had in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine is goodLuv2eatdrinkdanceDined on 8/8/2014I enjoyed the view, the service good at some time but when it is busy the server was little forgetful. Have a good selection of great tasting wine I enjoyed it very much. The appetizer is good and the soup is great but the disappointing is the sea food main course is too watery and tasteless. Next time I might try something different over all I had a very good time!Special Features:
- Your flowers need helpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014My husband and I recently dined at the Sonora Room, enjoying a lovely summer's evening out on the deck. The food, as usual, was wonderful, and our server was excellent. However, work is needed to make outdoor dining at the Sonora Room a more pleasant experience. We noticed that the flowers in the planter alongside the railing where we sat looked as if they were dying. The flowers had not been dead-headed for quite some time, and we noticed that all other flower baskets in our area of the deck all looked pretty much the same - dry and dead. For a high-end restaurant, you would think a little more effort would be made in keeping things looking nice. Either keep the flowers looking good, or don't bother putting out any flowers at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!NVGirlDined on 8/5/2014We had a fantastic dinner here! Everything was awesome- view, service, wine and FOOD!! SOOOOO good!!!Special Features:
- Stunning!GregluvsfoodDined on 8/4/2014The view is phenomenal, and the food was spectacular. They also accommodated me for gluten sensitivity, with professionalism. This was the best meal I have had in recent memory. A MUST visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting, good foodRandDDined on 8/3/2014We had a lovely dinner at sunset, only marred by getting eaten by mosquitos. The staff was very good about letting is move indoors (from the deck). My lettuce app was beautifully presented. The dressing was either a bit too bland or maybe minimal... Needed a touch more flavour. My main course was the flatiron steak. Great flavours blended well on the plate, but the meat had a bit too much "unchewable" bits. My wife loved here beet soup app and halibut main. Wines were all great. Desserts were super and service was very friendly and quite efficient. Food prep was a bit slow (even though not vey busy), with our mains appearing an hour after we arrived. We were not in a rush, but that was quite slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dinning gem in wine country...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Our dinning experience was superb... Everything from the appetizers to main course through to the main courses. Of course the Merlot married well with the lamb and steak dinner. The service was super from our hostess to our server... the Sonora Room experience is a "must do" for anyone experiencing Burrowing Owl....Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!MaitranDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were here earlier during the day for wine tasting. The views were breathtaking and we were looking forward to our dinner reso later on that day. Everything was amazing from the food to the service to the view. We had a late dinner reso so we did not get to enjoy the view for very long. That is the only reason I gave the ambiance 4 star. I'd recommend an earlier dinner to get the full advantage of it. We would definitely come back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & great wine!YellowBirdRadioDined on 7/31/2014A fantastic place to enjoy the vineyard views. Both the food and wines are fantastic. I particularly liked the use of organic ingredients. Lovely menu for children too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014We altered our travel plans to include dinner at Burrowing Owl. After a visit to the well appointed tasting room to pick up a few bottles . Karen greeted us and we were seated outside with a view from vineyards to distant hills as the sun highlighted rugged rock faces. Karen was very pleasant , efficient and attentive. Our steaks and wine pairing, Cabernet Sauvignon, were perfect, our dinner was delighful,mouth watering flavors, the combination of sauces made each bite memorable. Great menu so hard to choose. Allan & Helen JobSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKcommDined on 7/27/2014Chef Brock and his staff delivered one of the finest dining experiences I have ever had, and I have eaten is some of the top restaurants in North America. I will go back in a heart beat. We have recommended this restaurant to many of of our friends. Please continue the outstanding support to the local farms and economy. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServiceCasualAndFineDiningDined on 7/26/2014Chef did a special meal. It was spectacular. Every single person we interacted with was really nice and helpful. A great experience. Memorable. Library Wines are excellent. Balcony overlooking the property is very relaxing.Special Features:
- Awesome!DinerightDined on 7/23/2014The deck seating is a must with the beautiful view of the valley! We enjoyed a very amazing lunch of Duck Confit! The wine list is terrific! Great friendly efficient service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant,sophisticated,comfortable.djbbDined on 7/22/2014This is a seriously special place.Great food great wine ,knowledgeable and professional service.thankfully child free.the top spot in okanagan for a sophisticated dinner.Special Features:
- Beautiful scenery,unremarkable foodFoodiDudeDined on 7/21/2014The quality of over-priced food leaves a lot to be desired; however, the scenery and location is amazing. Starting from the white bread and the appetizers to the main courses the dining qaulity has a lot of room for improvement. The service is good.Special Features:
- Oliver/penticton gemWeazelDined on 7/20/2014Great experience all around. Glad we got a patio table to enjoy the view & nice weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingXJ220Dined on 7/19/2014The Sonora Room is by far the best restaurant in the Osoyoos/Oliver area. The best food, great wine selection and an impressive view. We'll be back again as soon as possible.Special Features:
- we came back for a reasonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014absolutely awesome restaurant highly recommended peach soup for dessert was heavenlySpecial Features:
- Our third annual visit!FrankandTrinaDined on 7/14/2014We always close out out GranFondo weekend at the Sonora Room at Burrowing Owl. Absolutely lovely.Special Features:
- Amazing!!DeeButtsDined on 7/13/2014Great view, great food, great staff!! The lunch was delicious!! We did the tour and then sampled a selection of wines with a really friendly server "Rob".Special Features:
- Amazing!WhiteRockFoodiesVIPDined on 7/11/2014What a truly remarkable experience! The flavours, portions, and timing of service were spot on. We just can't say enough about our experience here. Well priced for the quality.Special Features:
- Gorgeous Winery DinningMisstariiDined on 7/11/2014Chef Brock Bowes and his staff do an outstanding job at making your dinning experience fantastic and delicious. The view is also incredible either from the patio or the beautifully appointed dinning room. The menu has something for everyone and the food is just delicious and presented beautifully. The staff is always helpful and cheerful. Truly a wonderful dinning experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Nice setting, great wine and wonderful vegetarian/gluten free options. I had the polenta vegetarian dish and it was very savory and delicious! Would love to see more gluten free options on the menu though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as their wineAnyaDined on 7/9/2014Our second visit assured us that food is very important here, fresh and flavourful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014The Sonora Room never disappoints. We had a wonderful lunch on the patio overlooking the vineyards. The duck confit was exceptional and the great food and wine was complimented with the best service we have had in the valley. Be back soon !Special Features:
- WoodyDined on 7/6/2014Great food - had lunch one day and came back for supper. Staff very friendly and knowledgableSpecial Features: