179 Rectory Street
Port Chester, NY 10537Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonorarestaurant.net/
- Phone: (914) 933-0200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
FRIDAY 11:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rafael Palomino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: It is not too late to make your event or party unforgettable! Let us cater it for you! When your guests find out that Rafael Palomino is catering your event, they’ll all want to be the first to arrive. Serve them mojito, caipirinhas or sangria upon their arrival – the conversation will be off and running in no time! Don’t hesitate-call us and let us take care of everything. While our focus is on food, we provide rentals, bar service, entertainment and we can help you find the perfect setting for your party. We have passion for all the details that will make your next event a success.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact our experienced catering manager if you are interested in hosting a private event in one of our dinning rooms. We can accommodate small and large groups for social events and corporate meetings. We will work with you to design a menu that will delight both you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Alexander Vanegas 9149330200
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch live acoustic music.
Special events once a month check our website for more information, on cooking classes, wine tastings, tango nights, samba nights, salsa nights
- Special Events: The private dinning rooms are available for lunch and dinner seven days a week. Our rooms can accommodate a minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 110 of your guests.
Contact our experienced catering managers.
A word from Sonora Restaurant
Since Rafael Palomino—Sonora’s Executive Chef and Proprietor—opened the doors to this, his flagship Latin-fusion restaurant, he has received accolades from a broad customer base, including an “Excellent” from the New York Times. This creative, Colombian-born (Queens-raised) chef and author of five cookbooks, has since opened 8 more restaurants that span three states (New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania). Sonora, like Palomino’s other restaurants, boasts excellent service and mouth-watering dishes, paired with an extensive wine list and cocktail offerings. In addition to impeccable service and delicious dishes, Sonora’s two-story home offers guests the possibility of having a custom-designed and catered on-site private party, for any occasion, from 12 to 110 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sonora Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Port Chester ›
Sonora Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (42)special occasion (35)romantic (26)great for lunch (14)hot spot (14)notable wine list (13)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)Show More
- Ladies NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Amazing food and great service. Went with a group of friends a few years ago and have wanted to go back for sometime now. I went with a large group of friends for Rest. Week and we had a wonderful time. Everyone enjoyed their dishes and raved about the food. I would love to go back, however it would have to be for a special occasion because it is a little pricey. Not a place that I can afford to go to all of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious, elegant and fun!ATV1819Dined on 11/13/2014Sonora has everything you would want in a great restaurant. A cocktail and wine list that starts the meal off right with creative and delicious cocktails. Their Sangria can't be beat!. The dishes on the menu are so interesting and different, you just can't decide!! The service is great and the prices are really reasonable so you don't have to save this for "once a year". A really good "go - to" place for couples, girls night out or even a business dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal!kaburDined on 11/9/2014Food was excellent as always, my third visit here!Special Features:
- Good food, great presentationSenioreaterDined on 11/7/2014Went with 2 other couples for Restaurant Week. Food was good and very nicely presented. Good choices on menu. The only problem was, it was very noisy and hard to talk and hear conversations. We were seated in bar area, maybe it would have been quieter in other room.Special Features:
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went on restaurant week and they did not give us the restaurant week menu. We had to ask for it and they were not pleased. That's just wrong.Special Features:
- Beautiful interiorManilazDined on 11/2/2014Not only was the interior beautiful but the food was good and the service was great. I could not find any flaws in our spectacular dinner. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the chocolate cake was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of spainOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014Having just returned from Barcelona, we were looking for Tapas. This fit the billSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and friendlyTAGGDined on 10/25/2014Nice restaurant; food was good and nice & friendly people for the service. A bit loud though...but not their fault right!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan LatinMambeeDined on 10/25/2014Great pan Latin restaurant with inspiration from different countries in Latin America. My group of 6 enjoyed all of the appetizers and entrees which were ordered.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Very good food, good service, reasonably priced. Accommodated 8 people with short notice in upstairs dining room.Special Features:
- Fantastic small platesFineWineDined on 10/17/2014Tastes were wonderful and presentation was great. World menu was lots of fun.Special Features:
- portions are 2 small 4 the price2small4thepriceDined on 10/11/2014We ordered the Argentinian parrillada and when the food came we thought it was a appetizer. There was a piece of chicken, a few strips of beef, about 4 pieces of yuca, a few slices of chorizo(not even half a chorizo). Totally not what I expected for an Argentinian parrillada. They should reclassified this dish as appetizer or really give a true parrillada. The real parrillada has chorizos (whole) at least 3 types of beef (portions, not a few strips). Unfortunately it
- Superb experience on every level!Michael47Dined on 10/3/2014From the impeccable device, to the amazing food and presentation, I 100% recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseCarpeVitamDined on 10/2/2014Very nice place, good food and pleasant service. The way it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- owl14owl4Dined on 9/27/2014We hadn't been here in years. Great margaritas, yummy guacamole and entrees. Dessert portions were a bit stingy and they forgot to bring one of the two we ordered. Overall, a fun spot for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday menueRonkVIPDined on 9/26/2014Thanks for having a holiday menu. The only problem was noise. Next year include lunchSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service!seanfish65Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had the crab meat guacamole for a starter which was awesome! we then followed up with the Paella and Parillada meat platter. Both were superb. Excellent drinks and outstanding service.Special Features:
- excellent Neuvelle Spanish foodjojoDined on 9/24/2014The atmosphere was special and the food devine. I enjoyed the coconut shrimp and the Cuban Churasco (hangar steak) spiced just right and cooked to perfection. The Passion Fruit Flan Was PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentstoonDined on 9/23/2014Had early dinner and service and food was excellent. Probably the best Guacamole you can find. Overall its my second time to restaurant and will certainly return again.Special Features:
- Very tasteful foodFoodieDined on 9/21/2014We started with the lobster appetizer and the beef short rib appetizer which were both bursting with their own unique favors. I had the Bronzino which was amazing with shrimp risotto. My husband the pork for dinner which I thought was a little bland but he enjoyed it. We had a pitcher of Pear sangria which was delicious and refreshing. Of course the chocolate flourless cake was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but very loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014The food was very good, but it was so loud that it was difficult to hear across the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious, the ambiance superb and the service was top notch !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine place to visitKikireviewDined on 9/17/2014Had not been to Sonora in quite a while. Very pleasant surprise to see that the dining area was as pretty and comfortable as I remembered. The new appearance and organization of the menu by country was also a nice surprise. But the best of all was that the food was even better than I remembered it to be....and it was great back when. We will be back sooner than later!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodperlorDined on 9/13/2014This was the third or fourth time dining here and everything has been quite consistent. They have a menu broad enough to please everyone and they do not disappoint. The service is friendly and efficient. Overall a great evening. One note of caution, be thoughtful about the music that is played. It has not always been a great choice for background music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!nommyforfoodDined on 9/5/2014This is one of my favorite resturants! Food is always on point, staff is super accommodating and polite. Amazing place! Def would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently greatAnonymousVIPDined on 8/30/2014We love to come to Sonora. I had to change to a gluten free diet this past year and it's been harder to eat out and find gluten free food. We love Sonora and decided to come and I was so pleased to see so many gluten free options on the menu, clearly identified as gluten free. The food is delicious and well-prepared and the staff is so friendly. We will be back.Special Features:
- My FavoiteMyraAOVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Westchester. I could eat the GAMBAS AL AJILLO everyday, or 4 of them for a meal. (I almost never give a 5 rating to anything. btw.) I took myself, and the special Labor Day Weekend $17 paello did not disappoint.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent all round except for the noise level which was high +++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Remains my go to restaurant - to celebrate a special occasion or if just want to do something fun. And the food is always great. Best guacamole in Westchester County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large group of old friendsJoeGVIPDined on 8/16/2014We brought a group of 12 old high school friends and our children. The food and service was unbelievable. And the price was reasonable. I was surprised and will definitely recommend Sonora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This is my wife's favorite place to eat, not only because the food is delicious, it's the whole ambiance of the place. Our table is always set and ready for us, service is very attentive and we always make it to our show on time. It was a special occasion so I called ahead to request her favorite champagne, sure enough, within moments of our water being poured, the champagne was served. For dessert, we were surprised with a candle on each, which we thought was a nice touch. We also received many thoughtful congratulations from the entire staff upon leaving. I would just like to thank everyone at Sonora for making our celebration memorable with their continued commitment to quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSkippyDined on 8/10/2014Has a small outdoor sitting area. Excellent food. Portions are small but enough food to feel satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceWestchesterWomanVIPDined on 8/9/2014The only problem at Sonora was what to choose from the incredible menu. The food is unique and a welcome change from the Italian oriented menus at most restaurants in the area. Besides the food, the attentive , but not overbearing service, is a real plus. The decor is soothing. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a wonderful time!JudyTHEfoodieDined on 8/4/2014I can't even say for sure how many times I've been here now! It's always a wonderful time with great food and service. My favorite dish remains to be the Palomino Paella, the saffron rice is so delicious with the seafood, chicken and pork. My boyfriend usually goes for the Churrasco or Meat platter. For apps, we love the coconut shrimp and guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedktelVIPDined on 8/3/2014We have been to Sonora numerous times for the inventive menu, creative cocktails and good food. We were dissapointed this time. The air conditioning was dripping from the ceiling vent on one of our diners as well as onto the center of the table (where the shared appetizer was placed). We asked to move tables, assuming that the table would not be used while the problem was resolved. But within 5 minutes a new group was seated there. Also, our fish entrees were all extremely over-salted. On the positive side, the staff are very professional and friendly.Special Features:
- We just love this place!JG50VIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been guests at Sonora since it opened about 15 years ago. They never disappoint. The food is always fresh, creative and delicious, drinks are fabulous, try a Mojito. The prices are very reasonable and surely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven't been disappointed yet!lisaandtomnyc1988Dined on 7/30/2014The service is great, always a warm welcome when you walk in the door. The servers are knowledgeable and helpful from wines and cocktails to entrees and dessert. Haven't been disappointed yet on recommendations. Onto food. Great for groups because they have a variety of tapas, my favorite is their duck foie gras and chicken meatballs. And the guacamole just goes without saying. As for entrees, I recommend that you absolutely plan two trips, one for Rafael's paella and another for the grilled skirt steak that is perfectly prepared and served with mojito sauce. I always ask for extra mojito sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Happy Hour GemdineonlifeDined on 7/24/2014Perfect spot for an after work happy hour, when looking for a place to relax and unwind. Great with and without a group, comfy bar seating area is nice because you don’t feel crowded, which usually seems the case at most happy hour spots. Big fan of the mojitos here, Spanish flatbreads are delicious and I’m hooked on the crabmeat guacamole. I try to make it on Tuesdays when I can for their half price off bottled wine list. It motivates me to try something new and the wine list does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a must try!DamonRoxyEST1972Dined on 7/24/2014We've been going to Sonora since it opened, we absolutely love it! While their lunch and brunch menus are great, dinner goes the extra distance. I had the calamari salad with sweet plantain, mango, peanuts and lime vinaigrette, best I've ever had. For dinner I love the coffee rubbed rib eye steak because it's always at a perfect medium-rare and super juicy, and the potato cake is to die for. My Husband had the short rib tacos, he loves all the tacos on the menu. For dinner he went for his absolute favorite skirt steak with mojito sauce and latino fried rice with lobster. There are so many great things on the menu, this place is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 920 reviews are from the Sonora Restaurant reviews archive.
- a FUN and enjoyable mealdinerDined on 7/24/2014Sonora offers a great drink menu. They also offer a nice mix of meat, fish, shellfish, and poultry dishes representing regional South American cultures. The food is artfully prepared, and delicious. The wait staff is very nice, the décor is comfortable, it is really a nice find. This is definitely not just another Mexican restaurant. Not that those are bad, this is just a more diverse menu selection, and a step up in prep and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.