179 Rectory Street
Port Chester, NY 10537Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonorarestaurant.net/
- Phone: 9149330200
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am - 3:00pm
FRIDAY 11:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Rafael Palomino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: It is not too late to make your event or party unforgettable! Let us cater it for you! When your guests find out that Rafael Palomino is catering your event, they’ll all want to be the first to arrive. Serve them mojito, caipirinhas or sangria upon their arrival – the conversation will be off and running in no time! Don’t hesitate-call us and let us take care of everything. While our focus is on food, we provide rentals, bar service, entertainment and we can help you find the perfect setting for your party. We have passion for all the details that will make your next event a success.
- Private Party Facilities: Contact our experienced catering manager if you are interested in hosting a private event in one of our dinning rooms. We can accommodate small and large groups for social events and corporate meetings. We will work with you to design a menu that will delight both you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Alexander Vanegas 9149330200
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch live acoustic music.
Special events once a month check our website for more information, on cooking classes, wine tastings, tango nights, samba nights, salsa nights
- Special Events: The private dinning rooms are available for lunch and dinner seven days a week. Our rooms can accommodate a minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 110 of your guests.
Contact our experienced catering managers.
A word from Sonora Restaurant
Since Rafael Palomino—Sonora’s Executive Chef and Proprietor—opened the doors to this, his flagship Latin-fusion restaurant, he has received accolades from a broad customer base, including an “Excellent” from the New York Times. This creative, Colombian-born (Queens-raised) chef and author of five cookbooks, has since opened 8 more restaurants that span three states (New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania). Sonora, like Palomino’s other restaurants, boasts excellent service and mouth-watering dishes, paired with an extensive wine list and cocktail offerings. In addition to impeccable service and delicious dishes, Sonora’s two-story home offers guests the possibility of having a custom-designed and catered on-site private party, for any occasion, from 12 to 110 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLatin American
Sonora Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Port Chester ›
Sonora Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (44)good for groups (36)romantic (32)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (16)hot spot (16)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent all round except for the noise level which was high +++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Remains my go to restaurant - to celebrate a special occasion or if just want to do something fun. And the food is always great. Best guacamole in Westchester County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large group of old friendsJoeGVIPDined on 8/16/2014We brought a group of 12 old high school friends and our children. The food and service was unbelievable. And the price was reasonable. I was surprised and will definitely recommend Sonora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014This is my wife's favorite place to eat, not only because the food is delicious, it's the whole ambiance of the place. Our table is always set and ready for us, service is very attentive and we always make it to our show on time. It was a special occasion so I called ahead to request her favorite champagne, sure enough, within moments of our water being poured, the champagne was served. For dessert, we were surprised with a candle on each, which we thought was a nice touch. We also received many thoughtful congratulations from the entire staff upon leaving. I would just like to thank everyone at Sonora for making our celebration memorable with their continued commitment to quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSkippyDined on 8/10/2014Has a small outdoor sitting area. Excellent food. Portions are small but enough food to feel satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceWestchesterWomanDined on 8/9/2014The only problem at Sonora was what to choose from the incredible menu. The food is unique and a welcome change from the Italian oriented menus at most restaurants in the area. Besides the food, the attentive , but not overbearing service, is a real plus. The decor is soothing. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a wonderful time!JudyTHEfoodieDined on 8/4/2014I can't even say for sure how many times I've been here now! It's always a wonderful time with great food and service. My favorite dish remains to be the Palomino Paella, the saffron rice is so delicious with the seafood, chicken and pork. My boyfriend usually goes for the Churrasco or Meat platter. For apps, we love the coconut shrimp and guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedktelVIPDined on 8/3/2014We have been to Sonora numerous times for the inventive menu, creative cocktails and good food. We were dissapointed this time. The air conditioning was dripping from the ceiling vent on one of our diners as well as onto the center of the table (where the shared appetizer was placed). We asked to move tables, assuming that the table would not be used while the problem was resolved. But within 5 minutes a new group was seated there. Also, our fish entrees were all extremely over-salted. On the positive side, the staff are very professional and friendly.Special Features:
- We just love this place!JG50VIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been guests at Sonora since it opened about 15 years ago. They never disappoint. The food is always fresh, creative and delicious, drinks are fabulous, try a Mojito. The prices are very reasonable and surely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven't been disappointed yet!lisaandtomnyc1988Dined on 7/30/2014The service is great, always a warm welcome when you walk in the door. The servers are knowledgeable and helpful from wines and cocktails to entrees and dessert. Haven't been disappointed yet on recommendations. Onto food. Great for groups because they have a variety of tapas, my favorite is their duck foie gras and chicken meatballs. And the guacamole just goes without saying. As for entrees, I recommend that you absolutely plan two trips, one for Rafael's paella and another for the grilled skirt steak that is perfectly prepared and served with mojito sauce. I always ask for extra mojito sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Happy Hour GemdineonlifeDined on 7/24/2014Perfect spot for an after work happy hour, when looking for a place to relax and unwind. Great with and without a group, comfy bar seating area is nice because you don’t feel crowded, which usually seems the case at most happy hour spots. Big fan of the mojitos here, Spanish flatbreads are delicious and I’m hooked on the crabmeat guacamole. I try to make it on Tuesdays when I can for their half price off bottled wine list. It motivates me to try something new and the wine list does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a must try!DamonRoxyEST1972Dined on 7/24/2014We've been going to Sonora since it opened, we absolutely love it! While their lunch and brunch menus are great, dinner goes the extra distance. I had the calamari salad with sweet plantain, mango, peanuts and lime vinaigrette, best I've ever had. For dinner I love the coffee rubbed rib eye steak because it's always at a perfect medium-rare and super juicy, and the potato cake is to die for. My Husband had the short rib tacos, he loves all the tacos on the menu. For dinner he went for his absolute favorite skirt steak with mojito sauce and latino fried rice with lobster. There are so many great things on the menu, this place is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a FUN and enjoyable mealdinerDined on 7/24/2014Sonora offers a great drink menu. They also offer a nice mix of meat, fish, shellfish, and poultry dishes representing regional South American cultures. The food is artfully prepared, and delicious. The wait staff is very nice, the décor is comfortable, it is really a nice find. This is definitely not just another Mexican restaurant. Not that those are bad, this is just a more diverse menu selection, and a step up in prep and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findBarry4JAZZnFOODDined on 7/22/2014Delicious food, warm ambiance and friendly service. We started with the coconut shrimp, which was nice and crispy, and tasted great together with the sweet plantains. We also had the shrimp ceviche which was refreshing. For entrees, the Meat Platter is a winner, best yucca fries I’ve ever had, mojito sauce seals the deal. My wife thought the shrimp and scallops with black bean and cheese raviolis were a nice flavor to the usual seafood entrees. We weren’t brave enough to go for dessert, but next time maybe we’ll save some room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolDined on 7/21/2014I've gone with my family and it was great and with a group of friends and done tapas style of eating ~ lots of fun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/20/2014Food was good but choices seemed limited. Service was eager but uneven. Eating outside at one of the four -four tops was pleasant and it helped that the weather wasn't too hot. A good place to go when in the mood for sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014The food was wonderful the specialty drinks fun, the service terrible. It took way to long to get our drinks about 15 -20 min and they never came around until the end of dinner to see if we wanted refills. We asked the waitress how much the tuna special was(note there was only 1 entree special) she told us $29 -2 people ordered it. When the bill came we discovered it was $32 after she disappeared for 15 min to check on this she said just take it out of my tip. They never came around to check how the food was. It was very disappointing because the food was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect way to start the weekend!VickyNYCDined on 7/19/2014This was our first time at Sonora and it won't be out last! The bartender made great recommendations, as well as making the best mojitos. The guacamole which is served fresh in authentic stoneware was delicious! I never had plantain chips before and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it with the guacamole. We had our dinner in their outdoor seating area and were very impressed with the attentiveness of the staff. The salmon was perfectly cooked and my date enjoyed his skirt steak, both were served with unique sauces. We will definitely be back, great way to get the weekend started!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife had the perfect birthday!paradisesonDined on 7/19/2014This year I wanted to do something extra special for my wife's birthday and a colleague of mine suggested I get in touch with Rafael, whom hosts regular business functions at his restaurants for his company. He put a wonderful menu together of all my wife's favorite foods (yellow-fin tuna tartar, a selection of oysters, guacamole, duck confit, filet mignon and lobster). We also had an arrangement of desserts, my wife's favorite was the passion fruit flan. The general manager was very helpful with decorations and special ordered my wife's favorite champagne Alfred Gratien Cuvee Paradis. Everyone had a great time and I was able to enjoy the party with my wife, instead of hosting details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, bit hard to findSonoraJulyDined on 7/18/2014Excellent menu; Theater specials for Capitol Theater. Food was great and we talked to other dinners who had other food - all thought the food was excellent. worth finding. check out the specials during the weekSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTennisgroupDined on 7/16/2014My first time here. Loved the food, attentive wait staff and beautiful decor. Our group, with two vegetarians, found many delicious choices to share.Special Features:
- For authentic cuisine!LukeandMariaDiningOutDined on 7/8/2014We have dinner here for authentic cuisine and friendly service. My wife is from Argentina and she has spoiled me with the cuisine. Sonora is a a friendly unpretentious establishment that serves a variety of nuevo latin influences. We love the handmade empanadas, which my wife says are as close to home as she could hope for. The wait staff was very nice and the portions are more than ample. We enjoyed everything we tried so far and would recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing for something more than your average meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday fantastic!MTKUKDined on 7/5/2014What a great place. I took my wife there for birthday dinner, and she loved it. As an obsessive of Sth American food, she liked the range and authenticity of the food. Not inexpensive, but less than we were prepared to pay for such great food, service and environment. Very vibrant and fun- would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated, upscale Pan-LatinDoctorBDined on 7/5/2014Best Latin around short of NYC. Always satisfied here. Empanadas & tacos, plus so much interesting, unusual stuff that other Latin places in Westch. don't offer. Each item lists country of origin. Guacamole here- as good as it gets. Appetizers are plentiful, in nice portions: e.g., ceviche, unusual empanadas (e.g. one contained eggplant, quinoa, & goat cheese- delicious!), & a nice seafood chowder called Chupa. Many meat, chicken, & seafood entrees. I had jumbo shrimp & sea scallops (in an edible basket) in a flavorful seafood broth w diced tomato, sitting atop 3 mushroom ravioli; a winner. Paella can be had with seafood or vegetarian- good, but not exactly what you'd get in Spain. Fondue & choc. cake are great. Upstairs less noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Pre-Theater Prix Fixe!GmanUK19Dined on 6/29/2014Outstanding 3-Course Pre-Theater Prix Fixe menu special at this place, beautiful presentation, freshly prepared, and served in good time. We enjoyed the eggplant and quinoa empanadas and pork tacos, for dinner the bronzino and skirt steak were excellent. For dessert, the flourless chocolate cake was unique because it was light with rich chocolate and the cheesecake was fabulous as well. Another thing we noticed was that service all around was really nice and hospitable. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for quality food prepared freshly from scratch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somersavor100Dined on 6/29/2014Sonora is a great neighborhood retaurant. We went for brunch on a quiet Sunday afternoon to celebrate my daughter's graduation from high school. This was my 4th visit of the venue. Food is consistently well but the brunch menu is shrinking. Service is great and staffs are very friendly. Our south American friend enjoyed the food and atomsphere a lot. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Always our #1 pick in Port ChesterAngie2044Dined on 6/28/2014Always our #1 pick when we dine out in Port Chester. As locals, we've eaten at most of the restaurants in the area and Sonora is still our 'go-to' when we want a meal that is irresistable. Appetizers, Entrees, Desserts, Wine, and Cocktails - all notable, fresh and inspired ingredients make all the difference. We can hardly resist having anything less than a 3-course dinner, prix fixe menu specials are the best value. Some of the plates may sound on the adventurous side - just ask your server for some help and you're sure to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagQueenBeeDined on 6/28/2014I had dinner here on Saturday. The restaurant is decorated nicely and the servers are friendly. The food was just ok. If it had been better it would have justified the prices. Hits - Branzino, flourless chocolate cake Misses - risotto, appetizer tacos and cheesecake Overall the experience was good but not great. There are plenty of other restaurants in the area that I would check out before coming back here.Special Features:
- JoodyDined on 6/21/2014Fabulous food. Great margaritas and sangria! We sat outside in their small patio area. It was a beautiful night!,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas barAmylDined on 6/21/2014Delicious, fresh and varied. Good vegetarian choices. Nice sangria too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exceptional start to the eveningAlWestportVIPDined on 6/21/2014Upon entering Sonora, we we given a warm, friendly greeting and shown to our table, where we we met our server for the evening. He was attentive, and helpful, especially in recommending dishes that would avoid my wife's food allergies. The service and attention throughout the meal was friendly and helpful. We had the ceviche and salmon tartare to start and both were excellent. The grilled salmon with quinoa tabbouleh salad was excellent. We would highly recommend Sonora as a destination restaurant, and plan on coming back many times.Special Features:
- Always good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014We love our neighborhood good food places! Sonora is right at the top of the list. Fabulous seafood paella, and although not on the menu, they accommodate veges like me with a vege paellaSpecial Features:
- Better Than Ever!Peter2868Dined on 6/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner on a Thursday evening in a nearly empty restaurant. Nothing like the Saturday night crowds. Excellent sangria and tableside-prepared guacamole to start. I had the fabulous tilapia/mole dish and others had shrimp, chicken or paella in various preparations. All were excellent. Attentive service and quiet ambience were unusual for Sonora, which is normally quite lively. You really can't go wrong here!
- Our favorite.BradAndGoddessDined on 5/31/2014Food is amazing again (and again). Some tables too noisy for conversation.Special Features:
- love2eatDined on 5/31/2014We have gone to this restaurant for years and after about a year'svisit, I think it was better than ever. Our waiter was not only good, but interesting conversationalist. Like the mix of South American dishes and personnel. On a Saturday night it got quite noisy after 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go again and again!CeeBeeDined on 5/27/2014We have visited Sonora twice. Both times the wait staff was courteous and patient with our delays in ordering because of conversation. For starters, we ordered the guacamole, ground freshly at our table. We also ordered the deliciously refreshing cactus pear sangria. We have ordered from the diverse tapas portion of the menu and main entrees. Each item on the menu is noted with its country of origin. The waiter was helpful in advising if the dish was spicy. Everything we ordered both times was wonderfully prepared and delicious. And throughout our meal, we were never rushed but our waiter was attentive to check if we needed anything. I had never eaten at such an authentic Spanish restaurant before and was delighted and hope to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, attentive serviceScarsdaleSueDined on 5/17/2014Always great food, pleasant atmosphere and good service. Great sangria - Only drawback is noise level, however my husband is hard of hearing - probably fine for young people. it was Difficult to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good as usualGoodDined on 5/16/2014Very good as usual. Have been a frequent diner at Sonora for special occasions for many years. Food still very good. Menu looks different but standards still on menu.Special Features:
- Eat HereMargyDined on 5/5/2014Consistently good and unusual food and caring attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 893 reviews are from the Sonora Restaurant reviews archive.
- Will definitely go back!DBM1VIPDined on 4/27/2014Warm welcome sets the tone - service was excellent. The salmon tartare appetizer was excellent. Seafood paella very tasty, very fresh seafood . Really interesting menu, soft live music - acoustic guitar - lovely ambiance.Special Features: