Sonoma Restaurant + Wine Bar
223 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sonoma Restaurant + Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonomadc.com/
- Phone: 2025448088x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar opens at 5:00pm. Lounge opens Tuesday - Saturday at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Hutter
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sonoma's mission is to highlight the Mid-Atlantic's best naturally-raised and local ingredients and pair the creations with the best American and Italian wines.
We strive to integrate sustainable practices in all our restaurants: sourcing local ingredients, to create mouth-watering dishes, we aspire to be more than just a culinary trend-setter.
- Special Events: A perfect venue for a small intimate gathering or a huge holiday party! And with surprisingly low prices for a Capitol Hill location (minimums starting at just $500), Sonoma should most definitely be on your party list!
A word from Sonoma Restaurant + Wine Bar
At Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar, our culinary mission is straightforward - use the best local ingredients as simply as possible. New American Cuisine places an emphasis on seasonal ingredients that are regionally available, and our menu changes frequently to reflect the Mid-Atlantic’s offerings. The first floor, a bustling, “upscale-casual” bistro and wine bar, offers superior moderately-priced cuisine by using the best local, organic, and naturally raised ingredients. The menu bears a southern European influence, and is comprised of four groups: cheese and charcuterie, handmade pasta and pizzas, wood-grilled meats and fish, and organic salads and produce. The second floor features a lounge and reserve wine bar along with a dining room for private events. Reservations are strongly recommended and can be taken by telephone or through OpenTable.Continued
$20/bottle corkage fee (2 bottle maximum)
$3/person cake fee (including cupcakes)
$20/bottle corkage fee (2 bottle maximum)
$3/person cake fee (including cupcakes)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sonoma Restaurant + Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Sonoma Restaurant + Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (52)fit for foodies (41)romantic (33)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (23)great for lunch (22)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (13)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- It's OKFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Sonoma was one of those places I passed on a weekly basis when strolling through the Cap Hill area and always wanted to try. I finally made reservations to take my sister and her fiance, visiting from NC, there and sadly, Sonoma was really only mediocre. The food selection was good and the wine list was competitive for the area; however, it was completely overpriced and the service was slow. The scallops I ordered were also not the best quality due to the grit I continued to find as I bit down. I doubt I will venture back to Sonoma with all the other must-try places nearby.Special Features:
- Great date spotBertDined on 8/19/2014Had a wonderful experience on August 19th. I called an hour ahead of our reservation to let them know it was my girlfriend's birthday and they greeted us at our table with two complimentary glasses of champagne. We enjoyed the Meatballs, Gnocchi, Scallops, and Brussels. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- datenightcharmerDined on 8/16/2014Had never been to Sonoma before and decided to give it a try for Restaurant Week. Ordered off their special menu and have to say our food was by in large delicious. I ordered a basil shrimp pizza that was oddly flavorless (just cooked shrimp dropped on top of an otherwise normal/not outstanding pesto pizza). The portions were generous and our waiter steered us towards the house white special which was delicious. Dessert portion was small, but otherwise delicious. Great ambiance and will give this place another try not during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- srs2283VIPDined on 8/15/2014great dinner, we went during restaurant week. The burrata salad was delish! I order the ricotta gnocchi and my husband had the burger, we left full and happySpecial Features:
- Romantic wine nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I live in separate cities and when I asked Sonoma for a romantic setting, they delivered. We started with wine at the bar, enjoyed some quiet time to talk, and then moved to a delicious dinner. We truly loved the experience and excellent wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding lunch spot. Excellent service and a superbly done flatbread with a glass of wine....the perfect end to a long week.Special Features:
- Everything But DessertNavyYardFoodieDined on 8/13/2014I went to Sonoma for lunch with a friend during Restaurant Week. Amazing time, the server was very polite and helpful. Food was amazing, as always. The only problem was that it took almost half an hour between finishing our entry and getting our dessert. The gelato had started the melt significantly on mine. The server had apologized several times for it taking so long, it seemed like something was going on in the kitchen. Disappointing, but the only blemish of my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JTNUGENTVIPDined on 8/10/2014Another fantastic brunch at Sonoma. This time I had the steak and eggs with gorgonzola polenta. The polenta was a supreme standout. The steak was a little underdone but not enough to stop me from chowing down on it hard. Very nice spices on the meat so it didn't need any sauce. Service was wonderful as always. Looking forward to next time!Special Features:
- GayleDined on 8/7/2014Cheese selection was very nice & interesting. I loved the meatballs. The restaurant had few diners when I was there but service was not very attentive. I arrived before the rest of my party & had to ask for a drink.Special Features:
- Good VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014I went with a large group of folks that I hadn't seen in a while and the restaurant was good for that in the sense of good selection of food of wine. The food just wasn't very good. My husband actually disliked his meal and mine was just OK.
- First VisitapplemintDined on 8/1/2014While I felt the lights to be more dim than I'd prefer, the food was delicious! We ordered the mixed greens salad, the special (rainbow trout) and margherita pizza - and enjoyed every single bite. Absolutely thrilled with my first experience at Sonoma.Special Features:
- Into SonomaKimberlyMHMDined on 7/31/2014We loved our dinner at Sonoma... Washington D.C.'s version of Sonoma Valley's (Calif.) farm to table cuisine. Their food was excellent. We're from Sonoma, and we were very impressed.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 7/29/2014Noise level was unbelievable. Worst lighting at any restaurant in DC.
- Great dinner!SDDinerDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar last Sunday night. We've passed by the restaurant a number of times but finally got the chance to have a meal there. The food and service was great! Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and made some good suggestions. Our favorites from the menu were the salmon chowder soup special, the scallops with bacon jam and the brownie dessert. The only downside is the restaurant layout. I feel like there is a lot of wasted space. Even though it wasn't crowded, we were seated in a corner really close to another table. There just wasn't much seating downstairs.Special Features:
- Not great for brunchambomoVIPDined on 7/27/2014I've had excellent dinner at Sonoma, and it is my favorite place on the hill for wine and cheese after work. So I was surprised that brunch was so sub-par. Breakfast entrees were $14+ and pretty standard. My omelet was all egg, barely any filling with some potatoes. Definitely something I could have made myself. Unfortunately there wasn't salt or pepper on the table - my unseasoned eggs could have used it. Coffee comes in tiny cups. Great service, of course, but now I get why the place was practically empty on a Sunday morning while other Hill eateries have lines out the door. Will be back for the bar, not for the brunch.Special Features:
- Disappointed and embarrassedAmesVIPDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Sonoma a lot for brunch and dinner with no complaints so when my friends came in from out of town, I wanted to take them here for a nice dinner. Server seemed to have taken our order correctly, but besides a burger and beers, everything else left me completely embarrassed to have brought them here. Ordered a cheese board but after realizing 25 mins went by and we didn't get it, we flagged down the waiter who said the KITCHEN messed up, making our entrees before the cheese board. Cancelled the cheese, then our food came out and one of the pizzas had meat when it wasn't supposed to - per the server, another kitchen error. Can't say I blame the chefs but our server, who was also not as attentive to our as he was to others.Special Features:
- Small platesDowntownerDined on 7/22/2014I've eaten at Sonoma several times, and I have always chosen to have an entrée. This time, I opted for a couple of small plates instead --watermelon salad and grilled octopus. Both were first rate, and I left the restaurant feeling like I had done something good for my body. The watermelon was particularly good...a surprise: sweet, spicy, salty; soft, crunchy; and visually beautiful. The octopus was tender (i.e. not rubbery) and perfectly grilled. I indulged a bit with semolina cake, which turned out to be a strawberry shortcake without all the sweetness and a bit of rhubarb thrown in. Good stuff, Sonoma.Special Features:
- Pricey for LunchHungryGeezerDined on 7/9/2014It's a nice place and all, but the food isn't that remarkable for what they're charging. Fine if you'd like a wine-based dinner. But overall pretty pricey, and for what?Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotMavenLovesFoodDined on 6/25/2014Good food, efficient and friendly service, a little loud though if you want to have a conversation & the tables are very close together.Special Features:
- EnjoyETFTNDined on 6/24/2014Wonderful food and service. Bit noisy for conversations to be heard around the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!goodfoodDined on 6/24/2014Sonoma is always a great place to bring parents and visitors when they're in town. One of the few spots right on the Hill to get a nice glass of wine after a long day. Good for a nice family meal, business lunch, but would do equally well for date night wine. Everyone liked their meals. The fennel salami and pate are delicious, and steak salad was surprisingly delicious and well-seasoned!Special Features:
- unexcitingDCfoodfanVIPDined on 6/23/2014Monday nights are not the best time to judge a restaurant, but it seemed like everyone, including the waiter on the floor took the night off. Drinks and dinner took a very long time to arrive. My husband's second glass of wine arrived at the end of his meal. And with only a few seated tables was it necessary to suddenly turn the sound system so loud one could not talk across the table? A very pricey tab for a very average dinning experience.
- Uninspiring food, okay wine.IKnowFoodDined on 6/19/2014We came here for our first date 7 years ago and it seems like the wine selection has gone downhill and the small menu just seemed predictable and uninspired. Still loved the ambiance and the great service. And perhaps it's too much to hope that it would live up to our memories of that night...Special Features:
- Last minute group reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014This worked out great for a last-minute reservation for dinner with a group (7 of us). The food was good. Wine was excellent. After dinner coffee was lukewarm, but the server immediately took it back and made a fresh pot of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety of winewendfishVIPDined on 6/13/2014We sampled 4 different wines by the glass on Friday evening, as we sat outside and enjoyed the sunset behind Library of Congress and watched the Capitol Hill comings & goings. Our 1st server (Arthur) was great, suggesting really good wine pairings for the small plates we ordered. When his shift was over, there was a lot of confusion as to who would serve us - first the manager came, then another server was pulled from inside - but it finally got worked out. The staff is very friendly. For food, the grilled octopus was a bit bland, but the scallops were AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyDined on 6/11/2014A bit noisy and dark. We had to use flashlight app on our phones to read the menu but the food was goodSpecial Features:
- I enjoyed itDnaiDined on 6/8/2014I went to Sonoma with friends for brunch. We enjoyed everything. I wouldn't say anything was particularly spectacular, but everything was good. I think I'd visit again.Special Features:
- Red Red WineFoodieWinoDined on 6/7/2014I ordered the Red Red Wine tasting trio. I loved two of wines and the third just wasn't my really my taste. However, I think the waiter noticed I wasn't drinking the third glass and brought me a different kind. It was amazing and definitely one of my new favorites (La Gerla). One of my friends and I ordered the Rigatoni Bolognese which went perfectly with the wine. My other friend got the hamburger and fries which looked delicious.Special Features:
- Poor Service20008VIPDined on 6/1/2014Service was unbelievably slow - our server knew we had theater tickets - we ordered gelato for dessert and had to ask our server, another server and the manager to follow up several times and it took 15 - 20 minutes between order and getting the dessert (how long does it take to put ice cream in a dish?)
- Good food GREAT WINEOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/1/2014We went on a perfect Washington late spring Sunday evening. Had the rose' wine flight, cheese flight and chef's special duck breast salad and chocolate gelato. ALL WONDERFUL! Wine was especially good. Service was impeccable and friendly. Can't be happier.Special Features:
- FoodPlatoVIPDined on 6/1/2014Very much enjoyed the fixings at bloody mary bar, and they allowed me to use tequila in place of vodka.Special Features:
- service rulesScottVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great food is always impressive but service makes the experience. Hillary made us feel like we were having dinner at a friends!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceLPG1VIPDined on 5/29/2014First, the restaurant went out of its way to accommodate us five when we called to ask if we could be seated 45 minutes early; second, upon arrival, we were seated promptly at a terrific table even though the restaurant was crowded; and third, our server was friendly and helpful without being the least ways obsequious. And we did enjoy our orders which included the rockfish, flounder, grilled portobello, and pizza -- all nicely done if not total knockouts. Would definitely return when on Capitol Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to Folgerlunchat1Dined on 5/25/2014Imaginative menu, well prepared, although the portions aren't huge. The proximity to the Folger Shakespeare Theater/Library is a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-ratedExpectedbetterVIPDined on 5/24/2014The Open Table telephone number is wrong. Our waiter was grumpy, the salad wilted, and the entree over-priced.
- Great food in great spotLauraDined on 5/22/2014We had a fabulous dinner here, superb food, very cute little restaurant. Not at all surprised this is generally booked out. Only issue was slow waiter who we couldn't understand, but small issue when the food was so good.Special Features:
- Delicious Brunch Food, popular spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014The food here is REALLY good. And apparently that's not a well kept secret! Which means it can get pretty crowded and hectic. We were also there during Graduation weekend, so large groups were also at the restaurant and the waitstaff was overloaded. I think on a different weekend, the service would have been better, but they were clearly understaffed for the number of patrons.Special Features:
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2014The food was good, but ervice and availability were way below par. The 4 of us each ordered a first course and an entree. When the salads finally came (very slow), only 3 were delivered. The waiter seemed mystified that my husband wanted his along with the others and had to be told 3 times that he ordered a salad and entree like everyone else. For dessert we ordered the 2 gelatos offered; one person asked for black tea and said "yes" when asked if earl gray was ok. Green tea was brought, along with the news that they were out of 1 of the gelatos but then 2 others were mysteriously offered. For tea, he returned offering peppermint...no black tea. By the way, this was a pre-theater 6 PM reservation-pretty early to be out of dessert & tea.
- tingoldVIPDined on 5/14/2014A great choice on Capital Hill and before shows at the Folger.Special Features:
- Very lovely placeSantoandJohnnyDined on 5/14/2014Given its location, the friendly staff, and the good wine, this is the perfect place for a couple or a small group to meet for some nice wine, some nice appetizers and food to accompany the wine, and a place to just to have a nice relaxing break after a frenetic day on Capital hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.