Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
947 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesonomagrille.com/
- Phone: 4126971336
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Yves Carreau
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private diningroom, the Russian River Room, hold up to 36 people. We offer many different menus.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica McCullough 4124018306
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Party: Please go directly to www.thesonomagrille.com to view our special NYE Menu selections. All reservations for this evening will be contacted to provide credit card information to hold their table. We look forward to ringing in the New Year with you!
A word from Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine- 'Brillat Savarin'. Sonoma is a restaurant that is eclectic yet approachable, where food and wine are uniquely prepared side by side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (135)fit for foodies (105)special occasion (95)romantic (65)good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (32)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (29)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great BrunchWouldgobackDined on 10/19/2014Food was very nice. Service was spectacular. Jazz gave it all that extra special touch. Really enjoyed outselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food tastes tremendously fresh. One can definitely tell there is a lot of care and attention that goes into each dish. The wife and I have never dined there before until this past Saturday. It was a full house, but they accommodated our reservation and seated us immediately. Our waitress was excellent along with the rest of the staff. It is not a quiet place to dine if that is what you are looking for, but you will not be disappointed with the food or staff.Special Features:
- Nice downtown restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Sonoma is conveniently located off of Penn ave in Downtown Pittsuburgh. Very nice energy and tasteful ambiance for a dinner restaurant. Wide selection of wines. Food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Concert night = slow serviceBuonciboDined on 10/14/2014Food was delicious as always. Service slow and with mistakes due to a very busy dining room full of people who needed to leave all at the same time. Next time would eat more than 2 hours before the concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestMarkDined on 10/12/2014We were seated 1.5 hours before our show and still didn't get out on time. Asked server for our bill as soon as our meals came out and still waited 20 minutes AFTER we were done eating before it came. While we waited, we saw 3 other tables complaining to the waitress and manager about the same problem. Waitress also bragged about how expensive the wine list was. To her credit, that was the only thing impressive about the wine list. Food was average at best. Pittsburghers used to put up with restaurants like this but now we have too many options.
- Bar TendersHappyhour1Dined on 10/11/2014They have great people who work for them like Alex, Patricia and Jessica.Special Features:
- enjoyable meal at SonomaTonyrDined on 10/10/2014We took an out-of-town guest out to eat and, at her suggestion, went to the Sonoma Grille. We had forgotten that they try to use a sustainable approach to the menu, which we appreciated. I had bronzino, which turned out to be a mildly oily fish and very attractive (and well cooked). The other main courses were equally well cooked and presented. We shared chocolate crème brûlée for dessert, which was excellent. Altogether a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD AND SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Once again we had a great time at the Sonoma grill. The food and service are always excellent and its obvious that they train there staff very well. My favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh!!Special Features:
- Farm to TableAv8rDined on 10/7/2014Thank you for the experience and the efforts to bring local farms and flavors to those that may not otherwise experience it with their short travels in and out of town.Special Features:
- NotAFoodiePghDined on 10/5/2014Had a 4pm reservation...got there a little early and had to wait at bar as the dining room wasn't quite ready (opens for seating at 4)...only complaint is that while we were waiting for our table for three, a party of 20 showed up and was escorted immediately to its table. Still, wasn't a problem as it gave us a chance to try a very nice CA Reisling (Snap Dragon). Started with the Tapas Platter...which was an excellent assortment of five different appetizers. Had the award-winning Indonesian duck and two mixed grilles (chicken breast with fettucine and Tempura Shrimp and Green Mango and curry crabcake with Asian vegetables). All the dishes were very well prepared and tasteful. Overall, very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an awesome place.BurghBroadwayFanDined on 10/4/2014We stopped for dinner prior to going to the theatre. The staff could not be more attentive to our needs, while not making us feel rushed with each course. The wine list was out of this world and the Tapas starter for two was possibly the highlight of the meal. Entrees were great and dessert was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattycakeDined on 10/4/2014Being greeted by the very friendly hostess, was a start to a great night. I love the ambiance; the spacious layout of the restaurant allows privacy while conversing. The wine list was phenomenal, with so many selections, that a couple of samples helped me with my choice. My mouth was watering as I read the very descriptive menu items. Everything from the fresh bread; wild mushroom naan; mixed grille with three selections of filet mushroom kabob; herbed bronzino; green mango and curry crab cakes; and the dipping sauces was awesome. Eric, our service, was very accommodating and attentive to our needs. I would highly recommend Sonoma!Special Features:
- Great food/ great serviceBuddhaDined on 10/3/2014Terrific mixed grille choices served by knowledgeable energetic wait staff.Special Features:
- Interesting and differentTommyDined on 10/1/2014As expected the place was very good and quite different from the usual far. First it was the wine list that caught our eyes. It was extensive and having the possibility of ordering a threesome sample really was interesting. The food was quite different and very very good. The choices available made choosing more fun. The location was perfect for our planned visit to Heinz Hall for a show. The restaurant was very crowded and noisy which we like, especially after work and before any artistic adventure.Special Features:
- Excelent foodbondnjDined on 9/30/2014Would love to see who the chef is..food is excellent, fresh and so well seasoned and prepared!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great Service (Except)RyanDined on 9/28/2014The food was excellent - we did order the Tapas plate but never got to try it since it was never brought to us - we did not get charged for it however. The service started off extremely well, but it was pretty clear that our waitress was not interested in us being there. It's too bad, because the food was well worth it and other members of the service staff were very good!Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014This was my second visit and I was not disappointed. It's a little pricey; however, I think the food is well worth it! I have enjoyed the experience each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 9/28/2014We went to Sonoma Grill before the theater. We told our server that we needed to be out at a certain time. We had a delicious meal and had enough time to get to our play on time. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pittsburgh VisitingJohnDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was recommended by the Double Tree Hotel staff and it was a very good recommendation. We had four folks in our party and there was a satisfying choice of food and wine for all. It was a quick walk from our hotel which made it especially nice. The staff does a great job for being the night before a home game for the Steelers. Thanks for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sonoma GrilleCatJackDined on 9/27/2014I love the food and service here. Would highly recommend giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wine lovers dreamGr8tgmomDined on 9/24/2014We recently revisited Sonoma Grille after about a years absence. I have always loved the incredible wine list, as well as the varied options (small plates, medium, or large dinners) that are available. At the waiter's recommendation we tried the $24 appetizer for two which included several different choices. Both of us were disappointed, and probably wouldn't do that again. The variety was impressive, but none of them had us wanting more. The avocado and crab tien was quite tasty, however. By that point we were too full to go on -- other than to a second glass of wine from that amazing list. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and efficient, although a little busy. Despite the appetizer we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedDinesoutalotDined on 9/23/2014the food was very tasty but the prices are over the top. Not worth it at all.
- Always EnjoyableWahooVIPDined on 9/22/2014Sonoma Grill is a pleasure. Casual but good good and excellent service make a pleasant eveningSpecial Features:
- Good food ..wine pour hmmm..bondnjDined on 9/21/2014Great salmon, mixed grill and veggies are spectacular...the pours of wine are skimpy unfortunately..:(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night out!MomsnightoutDined on 9/20/2014Sonoma Grille has a wonderful atmosphere, which is enhanced by their tremendous wine selection that is displayed on the wall behind the bar. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Food is delicious and decently priced for a nicer dining experience. Don't forget dessert... top notch!Special Features:
- Changes coming!EatoutoftenVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great food as usual. New head chef is changing up the menu and the award winning duck is on its way out! Also had one of the servers stand at the next table and have a 10 minute discussion with a couple over the philosophy of learning and knowledge. I felt bad for the people he was not waiting on!Special Features:
- Great food and location!Kpk68Dined on 9/16/2014We went to dinner there prior to a show in the cultural district and the service and food were excellent. Wine list was extensive. Excellent choice of beers on tap! Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SighCarolsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Just so-so. Table was too big for our party of 4. Entrees were inconsistent in quality and temperature. Waiter was overly theatrical and intrusive. Food was just average and not worth the prices. Had been there several times in past years and had better experiences. Perhaps they are past their prime.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Everything from walking into the restaurant to leaving after was wonderful. The food was fantastic and the wine selection was vast and just what the night calls for. One of my favorite restaurants especially for their filet!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Sonoma GrillePITTfoodDined on 8/31/2014Very enjoyable evening. Interesting and filling tapas. Generous entrees. Generous room between tables to provide a bit of privacy and room to move. Would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable menu, fantastic winesredpenmamaDined on 8/31/2014Sonoma Grille is a must-visit for wine lovers, especially if one is a fan of California wines. The flights are a great way to try different things before deciding on a glass. The food menu is impressive, and everything is delicious. The servers are very knowledgeable, affable, and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We were visiting Pittsburgh and looked for a dinner spot through Open Table. Sonoma was a great find. The food and service was excellent. We had some very unusual and memorable selections for dinner and would say our experience was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was a nice night to sit outside and we did enjoy the sights on Penn Avenue as well as the food at the Sonoma Grille. Our server took wonderful care of us and it was a most enjoyable Friday night.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceRonSDined on 8/23/2014For an evening out in downtown Pittsburgh this is a great choice. Lots of activity in the area. Valet parking system could be improved upon. Food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantkroberts4Dined on 8/22/2014This was my second time here. The first time I just came for drinks. This time we came for dinner. Everything was very good and the service was great. They have a very extensive wine list by the bottle and also by the glass which is very nice. Would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JLC55VIPDined on 8/22/2014Sonoma is one of our favorite spots. Great sitting out on Penn Ave having a glass of wine with your meal. The restaurant was pack full with patrons but the staff was on their game with excellent service.Special Features:
- WonderfulJackersDined on 8/21/2014Every time I go to Sonoma it is a wonderful and pleasant experience!! Great find in busy down town pittsburgh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodDineinPhilly123Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great dinner at Sonoma Grille. Trusted our server and had the mixed grill selections (filet kabob, salmon and shrimp tempura). One of us had the veggies and two had the fettucine sides and both were great. It was memorably good. Service was great. Would defitely go again when we are back in Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Great for pre-concert dinnerElinVIPDined on 8/11/2014Had a wonderful meal before a concert at the Benedum Center. The salmon and stir-fried veggies were wonderful, and the waitstaff was attentive to our timeline for getting out the door. Wine list is always wonderful. Ate at a high-top table in the bar area. Very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, Quick, Quiet & Quality ...JamesDeanDined on 8/11/2014Folks, this is a very good place to go just a block or two from the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural District. Good menu with excellent wine list. All of the food was delicious and well prepared and unquestionably very fresh! This was my second visit, and my wife's first. Combination entrees gave you opportunites to choose 2 or 3 things, instead of settling for one. We both chose Filet Mignon & Salmon, which were absolutely delicious. Service was exceptional, with two individuals (waitress and also a second for wine choice and follow-up). The general manager also was very personal and stopped by at least twice to ask us our feedback regarding the mean & service. We look forward to a return trip in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.