Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
947 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesonomagrille.com/
- Phone: (412) 697-1336
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Yves Carreau
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private diningroom, the Russian River Room, hold up to 36 people. We offer many different menus.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica McCullough 4124018306
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Party: Please go directly to www.thesonomagrille.com to view our special NYE Menu selections. All reservations for this evening will be contacted to provide credit card information to hold their table. We look forward to ringing in the New Year with you!
A word from Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine- 'Brillat Savarin'. Sonoma is a restaurant that is eclectic yet approachable, where food and wine are uniquely prepared side by side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (139)fit for foodies (112)special occasion (97)good for groups (66)romantic (65)vibrant bar scene (40)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (33)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (18)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- 60th Birthday Celebration Dinner was GreatTAndersonDined on 11/22/2014My girlfriend's son arranged a dinner for his mother's 60th birthdary. The food was prepared perfectly and the customer service was top notch. This was our first time to Sonoma Grille and it did not disappoint. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main Course selections great....iffy sidesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The wait staff is well versed in the menu and provided excellent descriptions and enthusiasm regarding their "favs". We ordered two side veggies which were not brought with our entrees. The grilled asparagus was worth the wait, but the brussels sprouts needed far more time to roast. I realize they were rushed because they were forgotten. I would have been more impressed if the soul who delivered the entrees had said, "I am sorry we missed those. Let me see if I can get them soon enough to suit your meal". I will still come back, but now know that the entrée sizes are such that there is no need for a side. The main course was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014I have eaten many times at Sonoma Grille and felt confident that went I booked the reservation for a group of 6 that it would be as pleasant as before. The issue is with the reservation and sitting us. We went to a matinee and booked a reservation for 5:15. We arrived about 4:50. They informed us that the dinning room did not open till 5pm and asked us to take a seat at the one of the bar tables, which we did. No one came by and asked us for our drink order. Then they started seating people and it was if they forgot us. I went to the reservation desk 3 times and we were the last to be seated and many others were seated ahead of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food and Great ServiceSonomaGrilleDined on 11/21/2014Not only was the food delicious but the service was superb as well. It is very rare to find this combination, especially at the levels we encountered at Sonoma Grille. I ordered the Coq Au Vin, which was chicken, with mushrooms over mashed potatoes with a red wine gravy/sauce. The skin was crisp, the meat was moist, the potatoes were creamy and the sauce had a nice tangy-ness. My wife had the Kurubota pork chop with a stuffing cake and curried kale. She enjoyed it as well. She said the pork was moist and had a nice seasoning. The stuffing cake was delicious and reminded her of Thanksgiving. Sonoma Grille had a large wine list. Due to lack of knowledge of these wines, we relied on the recommendations of our waiter, Sid. He pointed us in the directions of some delicious reasonably priced wines. We ordered by the glass so we tried two different wines. All of them were quality but the Dark Horse Cabernet stood out the most. Unlike at most restaurants Sid, our waiter, went over the menu with us. He spoke to all the appetizer options, and made recommendations. Then, he went over the entree selections, which helped us to make our decisions. I thought maybe we lucked out with our waiter, however we overheard other waiters at the nearby tables doing a similar thing. Also, it was nice that each one gave different recommendations, so it wasn't a canned response or sales pitch. I would strongly recommend Sonoma Grille to anyone looking for a nice night out in downtown Pittsburgh. I especially would recommend it to those Winos out there as the list was expansive. We look forward to our return to the Sonoma Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu change is a big mistake.ExperiencedDinerVIPDined on 11/21/2014Seems like this restaurant was not happy with success. Providing more for less is not always the best policy. I have been going to this restaurant for the past 10 years and have never been disappointed until this visit. The menu and the food changes was a disappointment. There are now many more good choices of restaurants in the city, I doubt I will be back to Sonoma Trille anytime soon.Special Features:
- Excellent place in downtownLiverpoolDined on 11/21/2014This is one of the best restaurants in downtown. The wine list is large and the staff is very helpful in recommending what to drink with your food choices. The food is good and there are multiple options. Finally the price is reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHITE CHRISTMAS EXPERIENCEPappyDined on 11/20/2014Got there at 5:30 left at 7:10, the food was great and the service was friendly and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014We went to Sonoma before seeing white Christmas at the benedum. Last time we were there was new yrs eve and it was delicious so we thought we would go again! My crab/avocado appetizer which I was looking forward to was without the crouton, total disappointment. I also ordered the duck which I had the last time and it was mediocre this time. Very dry, over cooked. We love the atmosphere but food wasn't up to par. Bread pudding for dessert was delicious though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, slow service, responsive managertochaDined on 11/19/2014We went for dinner with friends on a Wednesday evening, allowing ourselves 1 1/2 hrs prior to a show. Our order was taken quickly and the waiter even asked if we were going to a show and we told him the showtime. He said there would be no problem getting to the show on time. After waiting a while, we reminded the waiter of our showtime and he said he'd bring out the food as soon as it was ready. Our appetizer finally came out 25 min. before showtime and the entrees came out 5 min. later. The waiter apologized for the delay in the kitchen. Without prompting, the manager came to our table and also apologized profusely and offered to make our entrees complimentary, saying that they didn't give us enough time to enjoy and savor the food. That was a very nice gesture that we accepted. The avocado and crab appetizer was fantastic! All four entrees were likewise delicious. We had the duck, bronzino, shrimp & crab cake mixed grill, and bronzino & crab cake mixed grill. The ambiance was very comfortable and the tables were spaced far enough apart to be able to converse with tablemates. We have had five-star meals here before. This visit seemed to be an aberration that hopefully won't happen again. The management's response was commendable, even though we didn't complain. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mwallace3544VIPDined on 11/18/2014Had the ahi tuna and it was very good. My friend had the fish tacos and she said they were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatlivetoeatoreattoliveDined on 11/14/2014Lively happening scene in cultural district. Beet salad with arugula was one of the best I've had. The duck and the black cod were both delicious. Terrific server. Attractive open decor. Would work for pre-theater or for dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still consistently goodTom5Dined on 11/14/2014We had not been here for awhile so we weren't sure what we would find as the chef regularly changes the menu to rely on foods locally and seasonally available. No matter as the restaurant continues to perform at a very high level. Very extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second experience and was great.DanandSueDined on 11/12/2014This was my second experience at Sonoma Grill Pittsburgh. As in both cases, the wine, food and service was wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did Not Live Up to ExpectationsAaronDined on 11/8/2014It had been a few years since my wife and I visited Sonoma Grille, and we were reminded why it had been so long. Let me start by saying the restaurant is very nice, has a great vibe, and great bartenders. The food however is overpriced and quite frankly not that great. Had the Tapas sampler appetizer... deep fried skate wing was more like a deep fried salt lick.. the pork belly was overcooked and dry (if that's possible).. only the scallops were actually good. My wife had the Rye Salmon.. was bland and so were its accompaniments.. just not much flavor. Same with my venison... small portion... not cooked to the right temp.. and the barley risotto was bland. Overall, not up to expectations. For that amount of money, go somewhere else.Special Features:
- good spot for city diningjennavDined on 11/8/2014The Sonoma Grill has a nice menu that's suitable for a light dinner or a full course, which is great if you want something light for a show or a nice dinner out for a special occasion. Great service, great food, something a little different.Special Features:
- Sonoma Grille- Party of TwomarybDined on 11/8/2014Nicely appointed with a varied interesting menu and extensive wine list. We were seated promptly. The service is done in teams and our team did not have their act together which made it a confusing experience. We never were sure who was taking care of us at any time, and both servers seemed overwhelmed and unable to check back with us. We never got bread or a glass of wine and half of my mixed grille plate came out cold. It took 10 minutes to alert the server(s) to have it corrected. A manager came to apologize and comped my dish and added free desserts, which was a nice gesture. Overall the food was very good and I would return, but maybe not on a busy night. We did make it on time to our event at 8:00pm with a 6:00pm reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightmoodster87Dined on 11/8/2014Went here with my wife and 2 of our friends before a show. Wine list is very large with plenty to choose from,little high priced but that's what you get. Ordered a bottle of wine and a couple other drinks and service was great to start,ordered the platter for appetizer and it was very tasty. A friend and I ordered the pork and it was great with the stuffing and my wife got the venison,it was awesome! Also orderd the rye crusted salmon and it was great also. Would of had better rating for service but we had ordered another bottle of the wine and drinks right before our food came out,maybe ten minutes before and we had to ask about the order twice,finally another waitress was stopped and she took care of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014We had a fabulous dinner here Fridsy night. Everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ServiceTheNettiePVIPDined on 11/7/2014I do wish they did more wine flights, with so many bottle open I wish I could try more with my appetizers and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerJBisthe1stDined on 11/2/2014Probably the best meal I have ever eaten in Pittsburgh, from the appetizer, to the main entree, to the dessert! Whether you are looking for a restaurant for a date night, celebrate a special occasion, or going to the theatre - or even simply just want a great meal - I highly recommend Sonoma Grille!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific stop in a great areaShymmerDined on 11/1/2014Food was excellent, wine and wine selection great and the bar and bartenders were awesome. The only blemish was an over attentive waitress (she needs to learn timing). A definite repeat stop for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and lovely ambianceskmqueVIPDined on 11/1/2014Our waiter was excellent, the food adventurous and delicious and the atmosphere is lovely - a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experiencelike2dineDined on 11/1/2014Sonoma has an option for almost everyone and a wine to match! Reservations are easy, they call to confirm, and the table is always ready. Hard stop for a show? No problem. The service is wonderful and the staff is VERY accommodating and personable. Enough service but not to many interruptions during the meal. Recommend this place for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating needs revamped for privacyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The food and service was very good, but I do not understand why they seat you on top of each other where tables are very close with no privacy when half the dining room is empty. The seating is my only complaint...the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKittieDined on 10/29/2014We arrived at 6 pm on Wednesday we were seated immediately. Our server did not arrive for ten minutes. We ordered drinks and an app. And at that time told him we had a play at 8pm. He assured us it would not be a problem. The drinks we order arrived at our table at 630 the app at 645 we gave our order for dinner and at 735 pm it arrived. We had to take it to go. 140 for 3 people and we could not eat there.Special Features:
- Great foodJackBDined on 10/29/2014Great food, attentive and knowledeable service. Natural, sustainable, and/or local ingredients. Our favorite pretheater dining spot with easy walk to culteral district theaters. Pick up your valet-parked car after the show, no extra charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful As Always!bondnjDined on 10/28/2014Over the years the food, service and atmosphere is consistently fantastic and the mixed grill options perfect should you select a lighter fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodAFirstChoiceDined on 10/27/2014I chose this restaurant for a dinner on Monday, October 27, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. with business customers. As I arrived early I had time to kill and found the hostess, although new to the restaurant, to be charming, warm and welcoming. The meal was superb as was the attentive and extremely knowledgeable servers whose recommendations were most helpful. The wine (Merlot) was excellent. All were impressed with the meal and surroundings. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant as the first choice for a first class dining experience.Special Features:
- SLOWWWWWWWWSlowinPittDined on 10/25/2014Took forever to get served, then our soup was another 30 minutes and then another 30 for the entree. Made reservations two months in advance and still our party was put at a high-top table in the bar with the bartender as our waiter. Not inpressedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food was wonderful!The atmosphere great but the desserts were to die for!! The seasonal pumpkin ice cream was wonderful!Special Features:
- Great Night with familyfbdad75Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, Great service, Great atmosphere, Had a great night out dining with family.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!FoodQueenDined on 10/23/2014I am never disappointed when I dine here! It is a great experience from beginning to end. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and professional. Food was top notch; salmon was superb as were the choices for the mixed grill. Dessert was incredible!! One of my favorite restaurants in the city. Consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sonoma Strikes AgainSwenseVIPDined on 10/22/2014Indonesian Duck and Kurobuta Tenderloin - excellent preparation and excellent flavors. Most flavorful tenderloin I have had in a long time.Special Features:
- Great BrunchWouldgobackDined on 10/19/2014Food was very nice. Service was spectacular. Jazz gave it all that extra special touch. Really enjoyed outselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicefood4fredoDined on 10/18/2014The food tastes tremendously fresh. One can definitely tell there is a lot of care and attention that goes into each dish. The wife and I have never dined there before until this past Saturday. It was a full house, but they accommodated our reservation and seated us immediately. Our waitress was excellent along with the rest of the staff. It is not a quiet place to dine if that is what you are looking for, but you will not be disappointed with the food or staff.Special Features:
- Nice downtown restaurantHillDined on 10/17/2014Sonoma is conveniently located off of Penn ave in Downtown Pittsuburgh. Very nice energy and tasteful ambiance for a dinner restaurant. Wide selection of wines. Food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Concert night = slow serviceBuonciboDined on 10/14/2014Food was delicious as always. Service slow and with mistakes due to a very busy dining room full of people who needed to leave all at the same time. Next time would eat more than 2 hours before the concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestMarkDined on 10/12/2014We were seated 1.5 hours before our show and still didn't get out on time. Asked server for our bill as soon as our meals came out and still waited 20 minutes AFTER we were done eating before it came. While we waited, we saw 3 other tables complaining to the waitress and manager about the same problem. Waitress also bragged about how expensive the wine list was. To her credit, that was the only thing impressive about the wine list. Food was average at best. Pittsburghers used to put up with restaurants like this but now we have too many options.
- Bar TendersHappyhour1Dined on 10/11/2014They have great people who work for them like Alex, Patricia and Jessica.Special Features:
- enjoyable meal at SonomaTonyrDined on 10/10/2014We took an out-of-town guest out to eat and, at her suggestion, went to the Sonoma Grille. We had forgotten that they try to use a sustainable approach to the menu, which we appreciated. I had bronzino, which turned out to be a mildly oily fish and very attractive (and well cooked). The other main courses were equally well cooked and presented. We shared chocolate crème brûlée for dessert, which was excellent. Altogether a very enjoyable meal.Special Features: