Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
947 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesonomagrille.com/
- Phone: 4126971336
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Yves Carreau
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private diningroom, the Russian River Room, hold up to 36 people. We offer many different menus.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica McCullough 4124018306
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Party: Please go directly to www.thesonomagrille.com to view our special NYE Menu selections. All reservations for this evening will be contacted to provide credit card information to hold their table. We look forward to ringing in the New Year with you!
A word from Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine- 'Brillat Savarin'. Sonoma is a restaurant that is eclectic yet approachable, where food and wine are uniquely prepared side by side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (138)fit for foodies (105)special occasion (102)romantic (75)good for groups (51)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (31)great for lunch (28)great for outdoor dining (26)great for brunch (22)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food and location!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014We went to dinner there prior to a show in the cultural district and the service and food were excellent. Wine list was extensive. Excellent choice of beers on tap! Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SighCarolsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Just so-so. Table was too big for our party of 4. Entrees were inconsistent in quality and temperature. Waiter was overly theatrical and intrusive. Food was just average and not worth the prices. Had been there several times in past years and had better experiences. Perhaps they are past their prime.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Everything from walking into the restaurant to leaving after was wonderful. The food was fantastic and the wine selection was vast and just what the night calls for. One of my favorite restaurants especially for their filet!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Sonoma GrillePITTfoodDined on 8/31/2014Very enjoyable evening. Interesting and filling tapas. Generous entrees. Generous room between tables to provide a bit of privacy and room to move. Would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable menu, fantastic winesredpenmamaDined on 8/31/2014Sonoma Grille is a must-visit for wine lovers, especially if one is a fan of California wines. The flights are a great way to try different things before deciding on a glass. The food menu is impressive, and everything is delicious. The servers are very knowledgeable, affable, and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We were visiting Pittsburgh and looked for a dinner spot through Open Table. Sonoma was a great find. The food and service was excellent. We had some very unusual and memorable selections for dinner and would say our experience was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014It was a nice night to sit outside and we did enjoy the sights on Penn Avenue as well as the food at the Sonoma Grille. Our server took wonderful care of us and it was a most enjoyable Friday night.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceRonSDined on 8/23/2014For an evening out in downtown Pittsburgh this is a great choice. Lots of activity in the area. Valet parking system could be improved upon. Food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantkroberts4Dined on 8/22/2014This was my second time here. The first time I just came for drinks. This time we came for dinner. Everything was very good and the service was great. They have a very extensive wine list by the bottle and also by the glass which is very nice. Would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!JLC55VIPDined on 8/22/2014Sonoma is one of our favorite spots. Great sitting out on Penn Ave having a glass of wine with your meal. The restaurant was pack full with patrons but the staff was on their game with excellent service.Special Features:
- WonderfulJackersDined on 8/21/2014Every time I go to Sonoma it is a wonderful and pleasant experience!! Great find in busy down town pittsburgh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodDineinPhilly123Dined on 8/21/2014We had a great dinner at Sonoma Grille. Trusted our server and had the mixed grill selections (filet kabob, salmon and shrimp tempura). One of us had the veggies and two had the fettucine sides and both were great. It was memorably good. Service was great. Would defitely go again when we are back in Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Great for pre-concert dinnerElinVIPDined on 8/11/2014Had a wonderful meal before a concert at the Benedum Center. The salmon and stir-fried veggies were wonderful, and the waitstaff was attentive to our timeline for getting out the door. Wine list is always wonderful. Ate at a high-top table in the bar area. Very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, Quick, Quiet & Quality ...JamesDeanDined on 8/11/2014Folks, this is a very good place to go just a block or two from the heart of the Pittsburgh Cultural District. Good menu with excellent wine list. All of the food was delicious and well prepared and unquestionably very fresh! This was my second visit, and my wife's first. Combination entrees gave you opportunites to choose 2 or 3 things, instead of settling for one. We both chose Filet Mignon & Salmon, which were absolutely delicious. Service was exceptional, with two individuals (waitress and also a second for wine choice and follow-up). The general manager also was very personal and stopped by at least twice to ask us our feedback regarding the mean & service. We look forward to a return trip in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- menonoDined on 8/11/2014Our server's name was Joe. He was very engaging, knowledgeable and helpful. He made our dining experience even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I've been for dinner and the food was fantastic. Brunch was not fantastic. And for the price, I'd expect fantastic. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth it.
- Amazing!NaurelRestaurantBuffVIPDined on 8/8/2014I absolutely love it at Sonoma Grille! The food, service and wines are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApetizingSwenseVIPDined on 8/5/2014I chose to have soup and the apetizer plate (meant for 2) as my main course, as suggested by my server. It was a good choice. the seafood soup was excellent. The apetizers were very good - a little too salty on the scallops for me. All in all - good dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable all aroundJeffDined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent and service as well. Pleasant upscale environment. A 10 out of 10.Special Features:
- Dinner before TheaterFussyeaterDined on 8/2/2014We dined here before a show in the Theater District. Our Server was very thorough when he explained the menu and the special items and very conscious of our time frame for the theater. I am a fussy eater and not very good at trying new things so I had a bit of an issue finding something to eat but I did find "Mixed Grille" and it was excellent. My husband also enjoyed his dinner and it was prepared exactly as he requested. Our food was served promptly. The presentation was attractive and the taste was excellent. The server did make an error on our check but he discovered it and brought it to our attention and corrected it himself. We had a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Always enjoy Sonoma GrillephylbobDined on 8/2/2014Personnel were friendly, service was good and my lunch of grilled salmon, with vegetables, and petit salad was excellent.....Thank you....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Husband's favourite Pgh diningMoonmaidenDined on 8/1/2014We had dinnner here with friends before a CLO show. Everyone enjoyed their meal selections and our waiter, Michael, was very good. My husband wanted their signature duck but wanted different sides which turned out to be no problem. The wines by the glass selection is excellent and it is nice to be able to try wines that you are not familiar with.Special Features:
- First time outdoors.boogDined on 7/31/2014Great meal and we got to participate in the United Mine Workers protest that came right by us. Interesting time. Food was much better than the protest.Special Features:
- Do the DuckSwenseVIPDined on 7/30/2014If you are going to the Sonoma Grille, have the duck, their signature dish. It is delicious. But the surroundings under the duck are not special and sort of tasteless. On my last visit there was a farewell gathering between the entrance and the dining area whcih lasted my entire meal. Do they have no group rooms? And my wait staff changed twice. Duck the Grille.Special Features:
- Good FoodMooseVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was good. The wine list was large. Very "California" type food. Nice location, very close to convention center. The hostess was a little rude. She asked if we had a reservation and then said she would go check on our table. A few minutes later she asked if we had a reservation and said she would go check on our table (apparently not remembering having already gone through that routine).Special Features:
- Good meal overallKkdinerDined on 7/26/2014Our appetizers and entrees were delicious. Our server explained the menus and specials well but was inattentive during the meal. He never asked if we wanted another glass of wine or anything else to drink. I ordered the strawberry lemon tart which turned out to be mostly a saucy concoction that was mostly crust. The manager took it off the tab and gave me a gift certificate to return....a nice gesture although I told him we were from out of town and not likely to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Poor service, had to ask for bread to 3 different people Ordered medium well meat and delivered rare. Will not return here everSpecial Features:
- A must try!AlaskanDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic atmosphere and food. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So NoSwenseVIPDined on 7/21/2014Great service, mediocre food. Good party room. Long wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Our experience at the Sonoma Grille was a fantastic experience. All the staff was so attentive and very friendly. We would recommend everyone to take advantage of this Pittsburgh "find."Special Features:
- Ron reviewRonnieVIPDined on 7/19/2014I am always pleased to visit Sonoma Grille. Their food is high quality and well-prepared, and served creatively. I especially like the mixed grill offerings and the wine flights. The mint chocolate chip ice cream block with decadent chocolate sauce is a terrific dessert. The entire meal was great.Special Features:
- perfectpumpkin3Dined on 7/19/2014The service was excellent , from the bar to the table. Food was wonderful We had the tapas appetizer to share which was delicious. The waitress was kind enough to let us know we could split our dinner. We chose the Duck which was absolutely perfect. Can't wait come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014During this business lunch the service was unacceptably slow. After waiting 60 minutes our salads came without dressing and severely overcooked proteins.
- thumbs UpandorasDined on 7/13/2014Still one of my favorite restaurants in town. Enjoyed their daily specials and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experience at Sanoma!bpeterDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant was great, the food was outstanding from the appetizers to the entree's. The service was top notch and very attentive. We would recommend this restaurant for any occasion, it's really a hidden gem!Special Features:
- Continued ExcellenceSenaffDined on 7/12/2014Service and food from the moment we walked in was up to the high standard to which we have become accustomed at this restaurant. We introduced a couple new to Pittsburgh to this excellence and there is no doubt they will be adding Sonoma at the top of their downtown list of restaurants.Special Features:
- lunch i summergeorgefoodieDined on 7/12/2014food was as expected for a primarily supper restaurant, quiet, not crowded on a Saturday, with an extensive wine list and bar. The place is more lively in the pm. Beware, parking is expensive by Pittsburgh standards .Special Features:
- GREATbuckDined on 7/11/2014The staff is wonderful and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I took my boyfriend for his birthday. We ordered the tapas platter, which apparently the order got lost in the kitchen so it took about a half hour to get it; however, the server apologized and corrected the issue and brought us bread in the meantime. She handled it very well. The servers were excellently trained on the menu and made great recommendations, but two servers would sort of tag-team a table which i thought was strange. The food was excellent and reasonably priced for the quality of the food. When we ordered dessert, they wrote happy birthday on the plate with chocolate and gave the dessert on the house as a birthday gift to my boyfriend. I will definitely go back to Sonoma Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice but pricey.debelizabethDined on 7/10/2014We had excellent service and the food was very good. Dessert was delicious but it was a little pricey. Would return for a special occasion.Special Features: