Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
947 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesonomagrille.com/
- Phone: (412) 697-1336
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Yves Carreau
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private diningroom, the Russian River Room, hold up to 36 people. We offer many different menus.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica McCullough 4124018306
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Party: Please go directly to www.thesonomagrille.com to view our special NYE Menu selections. All reservations for this evening will be contacted to provide credit card information to hold their table. We look forward to ringing in the New Year with you!
A word from Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh
A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine- 'Brillat Savarin'. Sonoma is a restaurant that is eclectic yet approachable, where food and wine are uniquely prepared side by side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Sonoma Grille Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (130)fit for foodies (104)special occasion (83)romantic (60)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (36)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (30)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (15)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- mwallace3544VIPDined on 11/18/2014Had the ahi tuna and it was very good. My friend had the fish tacos and she said they were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatlivetoeatoreattoliveDined on 11/14/2014Lively happening scene in cultural district. Beet salad with arugula was one of the best I've had. The duck and the black cod were both delicious. Terrific server. Attractive open decor. Would work for pre-theater or for dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still consistently goodTom5Dined on 11/14/2014We had not been here for awhile so we weren't sure what we would find as the chef regularly changes the menu to rely on foods locally and seasonally available. No matter as the restaurant continues to perform at a very high level. Very extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second experience and was great.DanandSueDined on 11/12/2014This was my second experience at Sonoma Grill Pittsburgh. As in both cases, the wine, food and service was wonderful. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did Not Live Up to ExpectationsAaronDined on 11/8/2014It had been a few years since my wife and I visited Sonoma Grille, and we were reminded why it had been so long. Let me start by saying the restaurant is very nice, has a great vibe, and great bartenders. The food however is overpriced and quite frankly not that great. Had the Tapas sampler appetizer... deep fried skate wing was more like a deep fried salt lick.. the pork belly was overcooked and dry (if that's possible).. only the scallops were actually good. My wife had the Rye Salmon.. was bland and so were its accompaniments.. just not much flavor. Same with my venison... small portion... not cooked to the right temp.. and the barley risotto was bland. Overall, not up to expectations. For that amount of money, go somewhere else.Special Features:
- good spot for city diningjennavDined on 11/8/2014The Sonoma Grill has a nice menu that's suitable for a light dinner or a full course, which is great if you want something light for a show or a nice dinner out for a special occasion. Great service, great food, something a little different.Special Features:
- Sonoma Grille- Party of TwomarybDined on 11/8/2014Nicely appointed with a varied interesting menu and extensive wine list. We were seated promptly. The service is done in teams and our team did not have their act together which made it a confusing experience. We never were sure who was taking care of us at any time, and both servers seemed overwhelmed and unable to check back with us. We never got bread or a glass of wine and half of my mixed grille plate came out cold. It took 10 minutes to alert the server(s) to have it corrected. A manager came to apologize and comped my dish and added free desserts, which was a nice gesture. Overall the food was very good and I would return, but maybe not on a busy night. We did make it on time to our event at 8:00pm with a 6:00pm reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightmoodster87Dined on 11/8/2014Went here with my wife and 2 of our friends before a show. Wine list is very large with plenty to choose from,little high priced but that's what you get. Ordered a bottle of wine and a couple other drinks and service was great to start,ordered the platter for appetizer and it was very tasty. A friend and I ordered the pork and it was great with the stuffing and my wife got the venison,it was awesome! Also orderd the rye crusted salmon and it was great also. Would of had better rating for service but we had ordered another bottle of the wine and drinks right before our food came out,maybe ten minutes before and we had to ask about the order twice,finally another waitress was stopped and she took care of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014We had a fabulous dinner here Fridsy night. Everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ServiceTheNettiePVIPDined on 11/7/2014I do wish they did more wine flights, with so many bottle open I wish I could try more with my appetizers and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerJBisthe1stDined on 11/2/2014Probably the best meal I have ever eaten in Pittsburgh, from the appetizer, to the main entree, to the dessert! Whether you are looking for a restaurant for a date night, celebrate a special occasion, or going to the theatre - or even simply just want a great meal - I highly recommend Sonoma Grille!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific stop in a great areaShymmerDined on 11/1/2014Food was excellent, wine and wine selection great and the bar and bartenders were awesome. The only blemish was an over attentive waitress (she needs to learn timing). A definite repeat stop for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and lovely ambianceskmqueVIPDined on 11/1/2014Our waiter was excellent, the food adventurous and delicious and the atmosphere is lovely - a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experiencelike2dineDined on 11/1/2014Sonoma has an option for almost everyone and a wine to match! Reservations are easy, they call to confirm, and the table is always ready. Hard stop for a show? No problem. The service is wonderful and the staff is VERY accommodating and personable. Enough service but not to many interruptions during the meal. Recommend this place for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating needs revamped for privacyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The food and service was very good, but I do not understand why they seat you on top of each other where tables are very close with no privacy when half the dining room is empty. The seating is my only complaint...the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKittieDined on 10/29/2014We arrived at 6 pm on Wednesday we were seated immediately. Our server did not arrive for ten minutes. We ordered drinks and an app. And at that time told him we had a play at 8pm. He assured us it would not be a problem. The drinks we order arrived at our table at 630 the app at 645 we gave our order for dinner and at 735 pm it arrived. We had to take it to go. 140 for 3 people and we could not eat there.Special Features:
- Great foodJackBDined on 10/29/2014Great food, attentive and knowledeable service. Natural, sustainable, and/or local ingredients. Our favorite pretheater dining spot with easy walk to culteral district theaters. Pick up your valet-parked car after the show, no extra charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful As Always!bondnjDined on 10/28/2014Over the years the food, service and atmosphere is consistently fantastic and the mixed grill options perfect should you select a lighter fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodAFirstChoiceDined on 10/27/2014I chose this restaurant for a dinner on Monday, October 27, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. with business customers. As I arrived early I had time to kill and found the hostess, although new to the restaurant, to be charming, warm and welcoming. The meal was superb as was the attentive and extremely knowledgeable servers whose recommendations were most helpful. The wine (Merlot) was excellent. All were impressed with the meal and surroundings. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant as the first choice for a first class dining experience.Special Features:
- SLOWWWWWWWWSlowinPittDined on 10/25/2014Took forever to get served, then our soup was another 30 minutes and then another 30 for the entree. Made reservations two months in advance and still our party was put at a high-top table in the bar with the bartender as our waiter. Not inpressedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The food was wonderful!The atmosphere great but the desserts were to die for!! The seasonal pumpkin ice cream was wonderful!Special Features:
- Great Night with familyfbdad75Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, Great service, Great atmosphere, Had a great night out dining with family.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!FoodQueenDined on 10/23/2014I am never disappointed when I dine here! It is a great experience from beginning to end. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and professional. Food was top notch; salmon was superb as were the choices for the mixed grill. Dessert was incredible!! One of my favorite restaurants in the city. Consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sonoma Strikes AgainSwenseVIPDined on 10/22/2014Indonesian Duck and Kurobuta Tenderloin - excellent preparation and excellent flavors. Most flavorful tenderloin I have had in a long time.Special Features:
- Great BrunchWouldgobackDined on 10/19/2014Food was very nice. Service was spectacular. Jazz gave it all that extra special touch. Really enjoyed outselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicefood4fredoDined on 10/18/2014The food tastes tremendously fresh. One can definitely tell there is a lot of care and attention that goes into each dish. The wife and I have never dined there before until this past Saturday. It was a full house, but they accommodated our reservation and seated us immediately. Our waitress was excellent along with the rest of the staff. It is not a quiet place to dine if that is what you are looking for, but you will not be disappointed with the food or staff.Special Features:
- Nice downtown restaurantHillDined on 10/17/2014Sonoma is conveniently located off of Penn ave in Downtown Pittsuburgh. Very nice energy and tasteful ambiance for a dinner restaurant. Wide selection of wines. Food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Concert night = slow serviceBuonciboDined on 10/14/2014Food was delicious as always. Service slow and with mistakes due to a very busy dining room full of people who needed to leave all at the same time. Next time would eat more than 2 hours before the concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestMarkDined on 10/12/2014We were seated 1.5 hours before our show and still didn't get out on time. Asked server for our bill as soon as our meals came out and still waited 20 minutes AFTER we were done eating before it came. While we waited, we saw 3 other tables complaining to the waitress and manager about the same problem. Waitress also bragged about how expensive the wine list was. To her credit, that was the only thing impressive about the wine list. Food was average at best. Pittsburghers used to put up with restaurants like this but now we have too many options.
- Bar TendersHappyhour1Dined on 10/11/2014They have great people who work for them like Alex, Patricia and Jessica.Special Features:
- enjoyable meal at SonomaTonyrDined on 10/10/2014We took an out-of-town guest out to eat and, at her suggestion, went to the Sonoma Grille. We had forgotten that they try to use a sustainable approach to the menu, which we appreciated. I had bronzino, which turned out to be a mildly oily fish and very attractive (and well cooked). The other main courses were equally well cooked and presented. We shared chocolate crème brûlée for dessert, which was excellent. Altogether a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD AND SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Once again we had a great time at the Sonoma grill. The food and service are always excellent and its obvious that they train there staff very well. My favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh!!Special Features:
- Farm to TableAv8rDined on 10/7/2014Thank you for the experience and the efforts to bring local farms and flavors to those that may not otherwise experience it with their short travels in and out of town.Special Features:
- NotAFoodiePghDined on 10/5/2014Had a 4pm reservation...got there a little early and had to wait at bar as the dining room wasn't quite ready (opens for seating at 4)...only complaint is that while we were waiting for our table for three, a party of 20 showed up and was escorted immediately to its table. Still, wasn't a problem as it gave us a chance to try a very nice CA Reisling (Snap Dragon). Started with the Tapas Platter...which was an excellent assortment of five different appetizers. Had the award-winning Indonesian duck and two mixed grilles (chicken breast with fettucine and Tempura Shrimp and Green Mango and curry crabcake with Asian vegetables). All the dishes were very well prepared and tasteful. Overall, very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an awesome place.BurghBroadwayFanDined on 10/4/2014We stopped for dinner prior to going to the theatre. The staff could not be more attentive to our needs, while not making us feel rushed with each course. The wine list was out of this world and the Tapas starter for two was possibly the highlight of the meal. Entrees were great and dessert was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pattycakeDined on 10/4/2014Being greeted by the very friendly hostess, was a start to a great night. I love the ambiance; the spacious layout of the restaurant allows privacy while conversing. The wine list was phenomenal, with so many selections, that a couple of samples helped me with my choice. My mouth was watering as I read the very descriptive menu items. Everything from the fresh bread; wild mushroom naan; mixed grille with three selections of filet mushroom kabob; herbed bronzino; green mango and curry crab cakes; and the dipping sauces was awesome. Eric, our service, was very accommodating and attentive to our needs. I would highly recommend Sonoma!Special Features:
- Great food/ great serviceBuddhaDined on 10/3/2014Terrific mixed grille choices served by knowledgeable energetic wait staff.Special Features:
- Interesting and differentTommyDined on 10/1/2014As expected the place was very good and quite different from the usual far. First it was the wine list that caught our eyes. It was extensive and having the possibility of ordering a threesome sample really was interesting. The food was quite different and very very good. The choices available made choosing more fun. The location was perfect for our planned visit to Heinz Hall for a show. The restaurant was very crowded and noisy which we like, especially after work and before any artistic adventure.Special Features:
- Excelent foodbondnjDined on 9/30/2014Would love to see who the chef is..food is excellent, fresh and so well seasoned and prepared!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great Service (Except)RyanDined on 9/28/2014The food was excellent - we did order the Tapas plate but never got to try it since it was never brought to us - we did not get charged for it however. The service started off extremely well, but it was pretty clear that our waitress was not interested in us being there. It's too bad, because the food was well worth it and other members of the service staff were very good!Special Features: