Sono Japanese Restaurant
319 Fayetteville Street #101
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Sono Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonoraleigh.com/
- Phone: 9195215328
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Michael Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout
- Catering: Sono will cater to almost any need or events. Anything from special events to just a office gathering, we will sit down and have our executive chef talk to you and discuss many options that you can choose from.
A word from Sono Japanese Restaurant
The most exciting sushi restaurant in the triangle area. Serving extensive varieties of fresh fish from around the world and exotic fusion dishes, Sono is sure to please even the most discriminating palate. If that is not enough, we have daily chefs specials that are created using fresh seasonal ingredients to keep customers excited. Come and see what all the buzz is about and also enjoy the full service bar with wide array of premium sakes and wine. You will agree that this is the best Japanese restaurant in the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sono Japanese Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Sono Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)special occasion (28)romantic (27)good for groups (18)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (12)late-night find (11)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Friendly, patient employees. We came in late, near closing time, and was still treated nicely. Would definitely come again.Special Features:
- Good Service, Delicious FoodEmilyDined on 10/11/2014We had a great experience at Sono. The Ishiyaka BBQ is fun for the table and also delicious. We got the skirt steak and it was buttery and tender-not the least bit chewy. The sushi rolls are also quite good, rolled tightly and a good size. Service was attentive but not overbearing. Our server had good wine recommendations. My only regret is that I didn't order more. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sono does it again...KenFDined on 10/11/2014Hadn't been to Sono since last year and that was way too long to wait. Everything I remembered about Sono was still great [except for one "large" thing I'll mention soon]. Food, service, ambiance well all excellent. The only thing missing from our last visit was the huge mural on the side wall but as the owner told me, things must sometimes change. As I said both the food and service were outstanding. The menu is one of those that make you want to eat your way through it and maybe after a few more visits, those I am with and I will do excatly that. It's all delicious and beautifully presented. Going wrong is impossible. Sono feels like a place you'd find in a much larger city but it's right here!Special Features:
- fresh and fabulouslovefreshfoodDined on 10/4/2014We had the 50. Chefs choice sashimi and 3 rolls for the table. It was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyNancyPVIPDined on 10/1/2014Wonderful meal! Great service and fantastic food I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceMTORDined on 9/26/2014Food and service was amazing. Room was surprisingly smokey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSarahDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I went there for dinner, and it was great. Good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, service, and ambiencepgallVIPDined on 9/19/2014We like to eat at Sono before a downtown concert. The service is attentive and the interior is very cool and vibrant. For two, we order the Chef's choice - always a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the areasaskiaVIPDined on 9/13/2014The sushi is really yummie. The fish is fresh, as well as the other ingredients. My favorite roll is the sushi-o. The yellow fin is my favorite appetizer. Oh, and they have some rteally good sake. I wish they wouldn't make it so freezing cold in there though!Special Features:
- Sushi lunchstarzlghtDined on 9/5/2014Me and my son went for lunch to have sushi, their lunch specials are great check them out. If you like sushi you cannot go wrong with the Dragon rollSpecial Features:
- OutstandingPnoPlarDined on 9/2/2014Absolutely outstanding sushi! Some of the best I've ever had... (Screaming O and Secret Garden are not to be missed!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bento Box & SushimangoshakeDined on 9/2/2014Had the shrimp bento box for lunch and it was delicious and filling. As always, great food and service.Special Features:
- Very good, but not wonderfulWakeForestFoodieDined on 8/29/2014The food at Sono was unique, interesting and creative, but I didn't think that made it terrific. I enjoyed my rolls, but they were also a bit weird. The texture of the Crunchy Dragon (I think), with crab was mushy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I thought they could have added more texture inside the roll to offset the mushy texture. And I ordered a cucumber martini, but they didn't know how to make it. They tried, but when it wasn't good, they gave me cranberry to add to it instead of just getting me a different drink. I went along with it, so shame on me, but it still wasn't very good. I recommend Sono, especially for this area, but if you've ever eaten sushi on the west coast or New York, this doesn't really compare.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Our waiter was very informative and was there when we needed him but was not obtrusive. The food was absolutely spectacular for our romantic night out.Special Features:
- Nice rollsNickyFlipDined on 8/20/2014Classic sushi bar. It was crowded but not packed on a Wednesday evening, creating a perfect atmosphere for conversation with an upbeat background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Staff was friendly and offered suggestions. Sushi just melts in your mouth!! Top choice for Sushi!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Went for Raleigh Downtown Restaurant week and we weren't disappointed. Tried lots of things outside of our comfort zone that I wouldn't necessarily say we would go back to get those, but would definitely go back to try other things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown SushiMurphyNCDined on 8/15/2014I've always enjoyed Sono and this experience was no different. Asked for a spot by the window in the bar area which was graciously accommodated from my opentable reservation. Wonderful service and the sushi was outstanding ! Thanks !Special Features:
- GemDesertSurfDined on 8/8/2014First time and we had a great time. Food was delicious and service was outstanding. Wait person was friendly, knowledgeable and took care of us as though we were friends. We felt welcome and it made our night special. We will return for another night out of great dining!Special Features:
- Shaky servicedinedineydineDined on 8/8/2014As sushi lovers, we do recommend with serious reservations. The service was rather wacky. They failed to bring us the miso soup starter we ordered (we just ordered that and one other appetizer to start). Late in the meal, the server refilled my wife's $10.50 Asian pear martini without asking. We thought that was a pretty decent apology (though not exactly the one we would have picked, and a rather alcoholic one so late into the night), and we were starting to feel better about things UNTIL THEY CHARGED US FOR THE MARTINI. Woa. A waitress refills your $10.50 cocktail on her own initiative, so she can charge you for it??? Maybe they'll decide to order you the most expensive roll, or the most expensive sake. It's their choice, right?Special Features:
- Delicious but freezingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food and service were excellent. Ladies, plan to bring a heavy sweater because the two times we’ve been there is has been freezing in the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014Some of the best sushi I've had in the Triangle. We had the Pink Floyd, Magma and spicy Diablo rolls. All were very good. It was difficult to choose because all of the menu items looked great!Special Features:
- What a lovely time!eatingisfunDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I went here for a date night and had wonderful food and service! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Sushi was noticeably fresher than other restaurants I have been to. The staff was friendly. Really good overall experience. I definitely plan on returning.Special Features:
- Good, but overpricedWashingtonVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sono is beautifully decorated, and the service is fantastic. The food is good, but it's not really much better than the sushi place in the strip mall by our house. It's just sushi, after all. We ordered the chef's tasting menu, and we didn't think it was worth it -- about half of the courses were so-so. If we could do it over again, we probably would have split an appetizer and a specialty roll -- and saved a hundred bucks in the process. This place is fine for a one-time visit, but we won't be going back for a second look.Special Features:
- great foodsushimanDined on 7/11/2014Nice atmosphere. High tables up front offer quieter experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic time at Sonobignate33Dined on 7/11/2014The sushi was some of the best sushi I've ever had with many different options to choose from. The waiter was great and knew his stuff. Not too bad on price either. This is definitely the place to go in Raleigh for some sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experience at ahemnoFXDined on 7/9/2014Miso soup was terrible. the restaurant was spectacular though good service . overall I would give it 5 stars out of 6Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnersushiextravaganzaDined on 6/29/2014Great date location! The interior design pairs very well with how the chef pre pairs the food. Everything comes together very nicely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 491 reviews are from the Sono Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- fantastic!sushilovaDined on 6/20/2014This was our first time here. Needless to say, it makes eating sushi anywhere else difficult. The food was amazing! Wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wines123VIPDined on 6/18/2014Went for lunch and they have a great special, order 1 roll and get the 2nd for 3$. You can beat that. Food was okay. Overall good value.Special Features:
- waitress was the highlightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Miko, our waitress was very friendly and gave me and my girlfriend a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Raleigh SushiAaaaDined on 6/14/2014Excellent sushi - best I've had in the Triangle - with both classical approaches as well as fusion (e.g. peppered tuna roll - goat cheese and cracked pepper complement tuna quite well!) Bento boxes are also delicious and an opportunity to try several different things. We have been several times and had excellent food and excellent service every time. Over four separate trips, the kitchens (sushi vs. main) were out of sync once - but the delay was insignificant and the food definitely worth the (extremely mild) wait. I haven't had all of the fusion rolls - but the peppered tuna and VIP are both fantastic (VIP featuring cilantro in addition to conventional flavors.) The asian pear martini is delicious as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Anniversary DinnerJnDeeDined on 6/14/2014My hubby and I celebrated our 8yr. wedding anniversary and it was outstanding from our appetizer to our dessert!! Although, I had my doubts as soon as I walked in and saw the Sanitation grade because I am very big on Sanitation grades and in my opinion a 93.5 is extremely low (this is the only reason why I couldn't give them 5 stars). My only other critique would be we ordered the Bento so that we could experience having a variety and they do not allow any substitutions. My hubby and I don't eat pork so it would have been nice to replace that portion with something else considering the price, but that did not make or break the meal or the experience. Other than that, everything was delicious!! My hubby and I will definitely come back!!Special Features:
- deliciousnoladinerDined on 6/5/2014AGAIN! The salmon tartare was amazing. as was the uni. thanks for another great meal!Special Features:
- Cute Sushi in DowntownRaccoonloverDined on 6/4/2014Cute little place. They do Happy Hour sushi until 6:30pm with 2 rolls for $16. They also do discounts for same-day symphony tickets, and free edamame for FourSquare check-in. The combonation made for an exciting price come the end of the dinner. The service was spectacular and is easy to access with street parking and in the center of downtown. Modern interior that is sharp and edgy. Sushi was good - not the best but definitely not the worst. No issues or concerns.Special Features:
- Sushi lovers blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My boyfriend and I went for a date night because we both love sushi, and we thought we couldn't go wrong. Well this was far and above the best sushi we've ever had! My boyfriend doesn't even like tempura sushi usually, but he was raving for days about the Magma roll. I loved every roll we tried. We ate so much, we had a food coma all night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sashimi!Valentynes1Dined on 5/22/2014This was an excellent restaurant for fresh sushi and sashimi! Great location not far from the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. Very romantic atmosphere and excellent service! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodTonyDined on 5/19/2014Stopped in for a quick bite with my friend, love the happy hour promotion of 2 for 1 sushi rolls, bartender very friendly
- Shaky, but glad it's still there.MattDined on 5/16/2014Upon returning to Raleigh after 5 years, I was glad to see Sono still exists. I made a reservation for myself and three friends. We tried to start with a drink, but our server was not at all knowledgeable about what the bar stocked and made three trips to check for rye and scotch. Finally, I gave up and asked for what I could see from my seat. Otherwise, the food was excellent and the location was perfect.Special Features: