83 Exchange Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sonnysportland.com/
- Phone: 2077727774x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am; Dinner: Sunday:5:00 - 9:30, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch Sat & Sun 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, South American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jay Villani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Every Thursday night @ 10pm Live in the Lounge presents a different local band or DJ each week with music ranging from old timey folk rock to funk psychedelic . No Cover. 21+
A word from Sonny's
Sonny’s is the brain child of local 188's Chef Jay Villani. Sourcing local produce, seafood, meats, and cheeses whenever possible, Sonny's creates unique and delicious comfort food. Sonny's also offers full bar service with an original cocktail list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sonny's reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very good, fun food. Very loud.Yum1959Dined on 10/10/2014We've eaten at Sonny's twice now. The food is very good and innovative and I'll go back based on that. But I find the space to be strange (too open and not well defined) and extremely loud, so we won't be back as soon or often as we might otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/6/2014We were looking forward to eating here, but dinner was so disappointing. First, we didn't finish the salad special with spinach leaves as big as my head and delicata squash barely roasted and served cold on top. Second, my entree was beautiful in color, bright saffron. But the foods chosen to make that saffrony plate were like a mad-lib of options: japanese eggplant barely warm, mushrooms with tough stems and Israeli couscous topped with cold mozzarella slices. Weird combo, mixed temperatures, like something I'd throw together at home based on what I found in the fridge. Except for the color. I couldn't do that. My daughter's pulled pork tostadas were a disappointment too. She nibbled then stopped. We should've stuck with fries and beer.Special Features:
- At Sonny'spotionrxDined on 9/28/2014We had a birthday dinner recently at Sonny's in Portland. Firstly, the inside space is much larger than we expected. There is ample room between the tables. The bar is very nicely set up. Our server was nice, but not particularly attentive. WE enjoyed the food and it was artfully presented. A few members of the party felt that there was not enough choices of "normal food," a point that could be argued either way. Overall, it was a pleasant experienceSpecial Features:
- Another good visitluvPortlandeateriesDined on 9/27/2014Once again Sonny's did not disappoint. We enjoy the fresh and creative cuisine and the frequently changing menu. It is a lively place, and sometimes it is hard to hear our table-mates. That said, we come back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not outstandingJimPDined on 9/13/2014Portland is a tough place to operate a restaurant. Sonny's seems to be tyring to compete with its higher priced comeptitors, but the food just doesn't stand up to the likes of Fore Street, or Hugo's, or 555, or Piccolo, or others like that. Yet the prices are a bit high to be competing against middle of the road restaurants. The food was all well prepared and tasty, but Sonny's isn't elevating the food to another level. If you want a good solid meal, this is a good place to go, as the atmosphere is friendly, and the bar is lively. But this isn't the place to go for a really specially occasion or a "splurge."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food was outstanding!! The service was not the best. They new it was our 28th anniversary and nothing was done or said about it. We had three different servers. We also sat for a good 5-10 minutes with our drinks empty. That is like a cardinal sin. Would we go back again, probably because the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-show DinnerTadCosDined on 8/17/2014A friend and I are not from Portsmouth and came into town for a concert. I found Sonny'e on Open Table and the menu looked fun. We had an early dinner that did not disappoint. The food was delicious and, warning, the portions are substantial. we had the beef brisket enchiladas and the beet salad. Both dishes were delicious and well prepared. Our server was excellent - friendly, helpful and her timing was perfect. Located in an old bank, the atmosphere was open and fun.Special Features:
- Fresh and interesting, not average!ClarkmomDined on 8/16/2014My lobster tostada was crisp, with many layers of flavor that made it all work. My husband had tender, delicious beef brisket. We sat by a window overlooking the park, so it was a perfect people-watching spot. Our server was great, making suggestions about the menu, as it was our first time there. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- great flavors; terrible servicewoodcockre6Dined on 8/15/2014The food was GREAT! Complex flavors with a simple presentation makes for a delicious yet casual dining experience. However, the service was horrible. She took forever to bring me the wrong drink fron the bar, and never checked on us once between the food being served, and clearing our plates away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick biteOcDinerDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I made a last minute reservation and were very satisfied with the food and ambience. Good list of local brews and the muscles were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had "Meh" expectations BUT...BirthdayGirlsDined on 8/2/2014Having been to Sonny's once before (a few years ago?) my expectations were "better than cooking myself". However, my friends and I were SO PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! Oysters were fresh and succulent. Mussels were sweet yet the subtle flavor of the korean pepper geve them a little kick The brisket burritos were the most flavorful of all the dishes but even the Caesar salad was crisp while its accompanying grilled chicken moist. Overall, the flavors and textures were vibrant. The chef outdid himself when it came to dessert! MMMM.. KUDOS!Special Features:
- Decent...Ash2Dined on 7/26/2014Found this on opentable, which was one of the main reasons for eating here. The food was very good (fried plantains a MUST). They have a very exotic drink list which is good as well. I gave this three stars simply because of the service, which was greatly lacking in my opinion. Our waiter was out of place. He also came to our table to deliver the food and then to deliver the check. Our drinks were never refilled.Special Features:
- Great when you're in a hurryOccasionalGuestDined on 7/23/2014Our group was going to a performance after dinner. While it did take a few extra minutes during the dinner rush hour to have our order taken, we were very impressed with the speed of the service. One member of the group even showed up within twenty minutes of our departure time and was able to get a salad and fries. Wait staff were very friendly and calm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell short.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014We felt that he dishes tasted good but each of them fell a little short. The need for some type of crema on the avacado, strange texture of the soup, or the need for acid, each dish was missing a component. Not entirely composed. We have had very positive experiences at Salvage and 188, we were very disappointed in the food at Sonny's.Special Features:
- The following 212 reviews are from the Sonny's reviews archive.
- Tasty Choices/Latino FlavorsNonesuchDined on 6/13/2014Sonny's was a great choice for an early, pre-movie dinner. While the choice of full entrees was limited, the appetizer and sandwich choices were plentiful. The Fried Chicken sandwich was crispy and delicious. The Cuban sandwich was loaded with meat. Try the "Hot Mama" cocktail if you like spicy-sweet drinks. With a strawberry jalapeno infused vodka as the base, it was refreshing and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changing MenuFemmeFoodieDined on 5/29/2014Love the changing menu. The pasta with fiddleheads and asparagus was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Have the burger!PtldfoodieDined on 5/3/2014The burger is the best in Portland! Many other great things on the menu, mussels, pasta, fish tacos. But the burger is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time.EricaDined on 4/29/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food at Sonny'sKateDined on 4/19/2014Food is always good and offering up something a little different. Amazing infused liquors and good cocktail list!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Delicious food. Great service. Really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- FairVickiDined on 4/11/2014Busy, noisy place in the old section, with good service. Empanada appetizer and drinks were really good. Menu was somewhat limited, with only 4-5 entree choices, and all a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- Very cool space and almost 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014Definitely recommend. However, our server was not at the level one would expect at a restaurant of this caliber, especially on a Saturday night. He seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else. Definitely could have sold our group another round of drinks had he bothered to come around to check on us in a timely matter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent salad and ArctictophookDined on 3/22/2014Excellent salad and Arctic Char for dinner. Doesn't get any better than that! Gingerbread cake for dessert! So good!Special Features:
- Crowd PleaserDineOhMightDined on 3/21/2014Though the menu was a bit limited, the food is outstanding. Service was on par with the food and everyone was quite friendly. Atmosphere is more casual than we expected but it works. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise711dineDined on 3/15/2014What a good suprise with their beef brisket enchiladas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all around good findTimelissDined on 3/7/2014We found the cocktail list, with its infusion creativity just as notable as the food and service. And since we decided to be a little more adventurous by straying from our typical type of selections and opting for the Restaurant Week menu (which was delicious), we will definitely go back to try other menu offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limited menu, but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014We were surprised to only have 3 or 4 entree choices (along with several sandwich offerings), but had no difficulty finding enticing items to order. Cocktails and wine, both delicious, as well as our meal.Special Features:
- Great Spot!ZoeTDined on 2/14/2014Have never been disappointed here! Great food, delicious drinks and friendly waitstaff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ValentinesMainedinerDined on 2/14/2014Loved the Valentines drink specials and food. The menu is a little limited but the food was great. The staff was pleasant and attentive. Overall a very fun restaurant for dinner or bar scene for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidDivotDined on 12/31/2013We were seated promptly, very good service, water glasses always full, food was hot and tasty. The menu is somewhat limited, but this probably allows them to concentrate on making sure what they put out is of quality. For some reason I am never blown away by Sonny's, but on the other hand I have never had a bad experience.Special Features:
- great placefoodies4Dined on 12/23/2013I've known this restaurant in its many guises and am very pleased with this one! The food is fresh, flavorful and inventive without being self-conscious. The staff were cheerful and responsive during a busy dinner scene during Christmas week. I've recommended Sonny's before and will again.Special Features:
- small family get-togetherBetsyDined on 12/21/2013The Saturday evening before Christmas. We were able to get a reservation at 7:30. Waiter made good wine bottle suggestion which paired well with everyone's food choices. All food was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience could have gone badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2013Chose to bring a friend from out of town here. Had never been to Sonny's but 188 is a favorite for special occasions. We decided to change things up a bit for this 1st Friday event. The food was fine, the kitchen and service timing was kooky and scattered but not off putting. Our servers were great, but there seemed to be a disconnect between the front of the house, the bar and the back of the house that should not be noticeable in an establishment that is operating at an optimal level of service.Special Features:
- Very limited menu and burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013Very limited menu and burger was only OK. Mounded up so didn't stay in bun
- Love it!BhausDined on 11/25/2013I live in the Portland area and have returned to Sonny's multiple times. Always great food, creative drinks, great service, and a nice fun place to be. Good for date nights or meeting up with friends. Portland has so many great restaurants and this is definitely one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails!AdamantVIPDined on 11/21/2013Inventive and delicious cocktails but limited menu.Special Features:
- First time and not lastPortlandRozDined on 11/15/2013First time here. We liked the drink list and had a great new-to-us ginger beer that we'll have again. We liked the open floor plan and did not feel crowded. The entree menu was small and vegans beware. You will have a difficult time finding something completely dairy free. The dishes were creative, but maybe too creative, and portions were very, big. Entrees are on the pricey side. For example, my husband ordered the halibut special, which was an odd variety of foods served on a plate that could barely hold it all, and at a surprising $36. We did not have dessert - too full. Overall the food was good but serve smaller portions, drop the price of entrees, and add some other sandwich options to the dinner menu and you could have a real hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, very loud. Menu wasSuziDined on 11/1/2013Very, very loud. Menu was limited and quite overpriced. Would NOT recommend.
- Great ambience, oily foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2013Our dining experience at Sonny's was great until the entrées arrived. The drinks were good and the restaurant has a warm and eclectic ambience. However, our entrées, despite their nice presentation, were both very oily. My husband had a pasta dish which glistened with oil, and I had baked fish over root veggies. The taste of everything was good, but we couldn't eat much because it all just felt to heavy and greasy. Our waitress did not seem overly concerned when we conveyed this information to her. I'd go to Sonny's again for drinks and their delicious sweet potato fries, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money again on low quality food.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceNotmystyleVIPDined on 10/18/2013Great location. After arriving we sat for at least 10 minutes before I got up and had to flag a server and remind them that we had been seated. The empanada del dia was delicious, pork and cheese. It had a a great kick to it. Our meals, fish, hanger steak and soup were very tasty. Again, the food was great, but the servers appeared to be in "the weeds" and not only our table but several well left for a long time unattended.Special Features: