Son Cubano - New Jersey
40-4 Riverwalk Place
West New York, NJ 07093Neighborhood:
West New York
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Son Cubano - New Jersey
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soncubanonj.com/
- Phone: 2013992020x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday
Friday & Saturday
(Happy Hour Mon.-Fri. 5pm to 7pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Eleazar Fuerte
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer Catering services on and off premises. Please contact our Events Department at Events@SonCubanoNJ.com
- Entertainment: Live Band Every Night Starting 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Live DJ Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights
- Special Events: We host fundraisers and charitable events as well as business networking events.
A word from Son Cubano - New Jersey
Our restaurant, Son Cubano is dedicated to a continued exploration of Cuban heritage, art, music, flavors and traditions. The open-air setting, vintage décor, live music and full view of the Manhattan skyline along with a menu of modern Cuban influenced dishes and traditional favorites leave a lasting impression.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Son Cubano - New Jersey - Best Restaurants in West New York ›
Son Cubano - New Jersey reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (62)romantic (45)great for outdoor dining (44)special occasion (41)good for groups (34)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (21)great for brunch (17)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (16)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- ReenergizingJazzyCVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love this spot!! Truly breathtaking !!! Rogelio is a gem. Thank you for your suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOP OF MY LIST!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I selected this restaurant based on what I read on open table, well-it went BEYOND my expectations. The view was KILLER and my clients were extremely impressed. The bar scene was good, dancing, lots of energy. I will definitely come back and make this one of my top recommendations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Very good restaurant, good food, great location overseeing New York. Should not charge mandatory 20% tip - this was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatenzoDined on 8/23/2014I had read reviews on the restaurant that was mixed so when we arrived we were seated quickly our server came very promptly our appetizers were great portions dinner was awesome we went to celebrate our anniversary spent a great night music was nice staff was excellent will be going back again highly recommend to anyone wanting to try great food in great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!RachierachDined on 8/20/2014When ever I get the choice of where to eat I always choose Son Cubano. The Ropa Vieja is to die for! Great place to come with the family or on a date. I've been to parties as we'll and they are always greatSpecial Features:
- Don't buy the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Great location, great view, effort at service, but the food sucks, and service is slow. After waiting almost 45 minutes my wife's dish came out with undercooked potatoes; when we complained, the offered to substitute with something else, but instead of just switching the potatoes to rice, they cooked a brand new dish, which took another 20 minutes and 3 requests from the waiter to come out, and the veggies disappeared and all that was served was fish and rice. Nice try, but no cigar. This place is all show, nothing more.Special Features:
- Not worth the high price.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014While the food was good, the service was ok. Not what you would expect for the money you spend. Way overpriced. Much better places to spend that kind of money on.Special Features:
- DoThingsDined on 8/8/2014Excellent find that I typically don't even look for but in warmer climates. Excellent vibeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Had a great time with my wife for our anniversary. Good was good and the service was great. NYC scene at night was GREAT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but too noisey insidesanantoniocoupleDined on 8/7/2014Food was superb; View is amazing; Service was overall good, but a water glass was spilled by server on our party and no accommodation was made. We ate outside arriving at 8:45pm. There was a DJ inside and had we wanted to dine in their beautiful dining room we would not have been able to hear one another. The start time for the DJ needs review.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014location, ambiance worth the price.... Food & service is not..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceSlowDined on 8/5/2014If you're in a hurry to eat, this is not the place for you. And when the appetizers were delivered, we had yet been given utensils and water.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014You go here for the view. The food was so-so and the service was slow.
- Beautiful RestaurantelesterDined on 8/4/2014The food at Son Cubano is quite delicious and the ambience is distinctive and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old world charmOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014Scenic views, excellent for people watching with an "old world" ambiance, which includes unrushed attentiveness between courses so as to savor the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anieroseDined on 7/30/2014We went on Hudson Restaurant Week! The food on the menu was exquisite! The only thing negative I have to say 'oh my goodness' they took forever not only attending us but serving our food..let's say it took us 3hrs for app, entree & no we didn't want to wait any longer for desert, we took it to go! LOLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014Disappointing on many levels, will never go back to Son Cubano. We went there to celebrate my dauther's birthday and it was a dissaster from the service to the food. This was one of our favorite places to eat. You have to train your waiters better with the customers. The one we got was horrible and not professional at all. Took for ever to bring anything the basic water/bread because he was taking care of tables outside and inside which I thought was not very professional. Very dissatisfied will never go back and will NEVER recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A must go!MickieDined on 7/30/2014Consistently excellent in every way, food is delicious and the service is the highest quality. I am never disappointed when I go there.Special Features:
- Great Food; Average Serviceathena1Dined on 7/29/2014I never tire of seeing the NYC skyline. That view coupled with delicious food made this a great dining experience. My one complaint is that it took half an hour for us to get our drinks from the bar. About twenty minutes in I asked our waitress (who never told us her name) about our drinks. She was very dismissive of me. When our drinks finally arrived there was no apology or explanation for the delay. I would however return to this restaurant in spite of this missive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticSL114Dined on 7/27/2014The food was good, the view was beautiful. A very romanticSpecial Features:
- Firing on all eight cylindersEddieDined on 7/26/2014Son Cubano is more than just another beautiful space with expensive cocktails. Much more. The service at the bar was strong and the drinks were perfect. We ate at the bar and had a great meal with exceptional service. Excellent ropa vieja and the apps were awesome. Our bartender made perfect, repeat perfect Mojitos. So good i had to stop at two. A little after dinner dancing and my date was in heaven. Great venue.Special Features:
- Beware theft!suziDined on 7/26/2014The ambiance is a funky, elegant fusion which I really like. The menu offers interesting flavors and the bartenders happily mix great drinks. The down side is that their are some unscrupulous people working there that took a credit card we left behind with the check and tried to use it to buy $1062.00 worth of merchandise at a Kearny Walmart. Management was disinterested to say the least. If I were running a classy restaurant, I would want to be certain I weeded out the culprit of this scheme so as not to deter guests such as myself from ever returning. GUARD YOUR WALLETS!!Special Features:
- Great customer serviceKyiaDined on 7/23/2014From the begin to end great customer service. Our Waitress Brittany was outstanding. She was knowledgeable of all their dishes and how it was made. Will return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodKrisDined on 7/19/2014Expensive and poor quality food. Don't order steaks. came with Yuca fries was so rubbery and hard. couldn't even chew. I won't go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceWineandDine45Dined on 7/19/2014Had to take a business partner out for dinner and this place was perfect. Delicious food, stylish, and spectacular view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariDined on 7/18/2014I felt like I was on vacation as soon as I stepped onto the terrace and saw the fabulous view of NYC. The food was great starting with the guayaba butter, yum! They had my favorite dish from Miami, Arroz Imperial which was very good. The avocado did was also very good. The Tres leche was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMsrodri87Dined on 7/13/2014Went with my husband to celebrate our 6th yr anniversary, we were greeted and seated right away, amazing view. Fell in loveeee with the empanadas. A little expensive but loved everything ! Menu isn't more than 2 pgs which doesn't give to much options which made it easier for ME to pick something right away!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Viewsdaisy26Dined on 7/10/2014Son Cubano is beautiful. The restaurant itself deserves 5 stars for interior decorating. It looks rich, elegant, classy and modern. The service was excellent and the views are spectacular. The food on the other hand was not great. I ordered La Jardinera, the only vegetarian entree on the menu and what I got was a plate of yellow rice with some roasted vegetables thrown on top. Very unimpressive. I'm Latin so I know that lots of Latin dishes are fried and consist of meat but there are Latin vegetarians out there. For such an upscale restaurant, it's very disappointing for a customer to have 1 vegetarian option. There are lots of creative and delicious vegetarian dishes out there. I suggest the chef look into them.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedLizzie71Dined on 7/8/2014After reading several negative reviews about the food and service, I was very nervous about celebrating my girlfriend's birthday. But I had great experiences in the past and decided the view of the city would be worth the visit to Son Cubano. Our table decided to share a few apps and a few main dishes. We ordered the guacamole, shrimp, the skirt steak, paella, salmon and chirps for dessert. Service was great but could be because it was a Tuesday and they weren't that busy. Anyway I really enjoyed the food and I plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tongue and Eyes - YES; Ears say NoDrDdinesDined on 7/4/2014Son Cubano offered a delicious range of Cuban fare--especially meats and fishes (and props to the appetizers)--as well as breathtaking sights across the Hudson to Manhattan. However, the live band was a little too live on Friday night. We had to wait until the sets were over to resume our conversation thanks to the energetic bongo dude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romantic....Lucky13Dined on 7/4/2014I was there for 4th of July....All I can say is I loved the place, the food was great. The service was great too, except one guy kept on coming up to me asking if I was done with my food to take the plate away, but what can I do I'm a slow eater and take my time. I politely told him numerous times I will let him know when I'm done. I know he was doing his job but Half of my clams and oysters were on the plate, he should have had a better judgement....outside patio was closed due to a coming rain I would have loved sitting outside, but inside was pretty too. It gets really cold inside bc of air conditioning....ladies you have a jacket with you just in case :-) I will certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is averageMDanteVIPDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful place with great views of Manhattan and the service is good, but the food is just ok. Other places in the area with much better food, but this place wins for ambiance.
- Love this placePabloPVIPDined on 6/27/2014I have been here a couple of times for lunch and dinner. You can eat outside on a nice day with a great view of the Hudson River and NYC. The food is not fancy (it's Cuban food mostly), but their presentation makes it more appealing and interesting. The place is absolutely gorgeous inside and out. The service is good.Special Features:
- great restaurantDavidsonDined on 6/19/2014Great location and service... love the food and everything.. for sure ill come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!KarinaDined on 6/16/2014Made reservations for my mother's birthday and it was awesome! The food was so delicious and the view was spectacular. Great place, definitely will come again with my wife. It's very romantic and afterwards you can take a stroll on the pier.Special Features:
- Food was disappointingCubanfoodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten at Son Cubano before and was quite disappointed with my entree. I ordered the special which was a meat paella. The chicken in my dish didn't taste fresh and was so bland, the short rib was so fatty I could barely taste the meat, there were only 2 small pieces of lechon. The only positive things with food were the dessert and the cucumber drink I had. I also made a reservation and had to wait 20 min after arrival. I would only go back now only to drink as the food was underwhelming. The place was pretty loud so I would not recommend if you want to have a nice conversation over dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious and beautifulLoveatingDined on 6/14/2014Have been here before and have enjoyed all things on the menu. The service is always very good with attentive servers. Saturday is always best in the late afternoon as it clears out and allows you to snag a table with great views of the city. Outdoor seating is plentiful. The live music, when offered, adds to the festive but elegant ambiance and makes the food even more delicious. A definite neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful viewcobra21jrDined on 5/30/2014A great place to bring your significant other, the view of the city is priceless, good music, and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT LOCATION, average FoodLUV2EATTAOUTDined on 5/28/2014great location. Got called by host to be there before 930 pm my resvn time or we wouldn'y get a table. BTW open table had open revsn for 9.45pm too. The food was way below average for the prices charged. The Ahi Tuna was not top grade and very mushy. Wine served was not as listed on wine list. Wait staff was friendly but the management should realize that not everyone dining there is Cuban or Hispanic.Special Features:
- Great spot if not for the servicelilinka25Dined on 5/25/2014I took my relatives here for dinner. The restaurant is beautiful with great food and vibe. The service was non existent though. We didn't get bread or water for the table. I had to ask the waiter to bring it. The waiter forgot to bring a dish and my aunt was left waiting for her meal while everyone else ate. When it did arrive, the salmon was rare even though we asked for it to be well done. I did love the live band and the décor though so mixed feelings on this one.Special Features: