Son Cubano - New Jersey
40-4 Riverwalk Place
West New York, NJ 07093Neighborhood:
West New York
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Son Cubano - New Jersey
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soncubanonj.com/
- Phone: (201) 399-2020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday
Friday & Saturday
(Happy Hour Mon.-Fri. 5pm to 7pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Eleazar Fuerte
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Cigar Room, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer Catering services on and off premises. Please contact our Events Department at Events@SonCubanoNJ.com
- Entertainment: Live Band Every Night Starting 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Live DJ Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights
- Special Events: We host fundraisers and charitable events as well as business networking events.
A word from Son Cubano - New Jersey
Our restaurant, Son Cubano is dedicated to a continued exploration of Cuban heritage, art, music, flavors and traditions. The open-air setting, vintage décor, live music and full view of the Manhattan skyline along with a menu of modern Cuban influenced dishes and traditional favorites leave a lasting impression.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Son Cubano - New Jersey - Best Restaurants in West New York ›
Son Cubano - New Jersey reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (62)romantic (43)special occasion (42)great for outdoor dining (41)good for groups (33)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (20)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (12)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Son Cubano is amazingMIGUAD98VIPDined on 11/7/2014Great spot, great food, great service. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Best night ever!!TonygarciaDined on 10/30/2014Really nice place,service was great food was delisiosa!!really love that placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmFoodlover21Dined on 10/14/2014Overall great place and great food. Will come back againSpecial Features:
- Son 'no' cubano...WmdgVIPDined on 10/13/2014The place and view of NYC are amazing and truly worth a visit for drinks and wine on the edge of the Hudson River! As for the food it was truly a disappointment. Appetizers: guacamole with plantain chips was bland and the chips had been sitting in the kitchen way too long for them to become dry & tasteless! Main course: The ropa bieja was insipid and lack the traditional well seasoned edges of a Cuban kitchen. The strip steak with chimichurri was served cold; It was sent back only to be brought back on a hot plate. The best part of the lunch experience was the bottle of wine and the view of NYC. Too bad for the place is selling to a crowd crying for attention in a beautiful space. 4 tables at lunch should had been excellent!Special Features:
- Restaurant NYC view amazingojs3Dined on 10/10/2014Food is excellent, a bit pricey for Spanish food but it makes up for it with the NYC skyline view. Service was impeccable and the ambience and vibe is great. The DJ plays good music and is open and accommodating to all song requests which makes for a wonderful time out. Mixed crowd and awesome vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great prices!ChiChiDined on 10/9/2014This restaurant is a must for those who live in Jersey. The view of Manhattan skyline is marvelous! Will def come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View2dieforDined on 10/5/2014Over all the dining experience was excellent. This was my third time and it doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute slow paced goodnessfinkeygrVIPDined on 10/3/2014Would have preferred a faster-paced lunch, but food and service were both good (just slow). Place is rather large, has magnificent view of Manhattan on great patio. Friday afternoon was only 10% full. Had to try Cuban sandwich--maybe a bit heavy on butter, because toasted bread was quite oily (tasted great though). Will return.
- Cool spotBeadiDined on 10/2/2014Love where this is located; beautiful view of NYC. Food and service are very good. The bar is a very cool place to hang out. I've never been disappointed whenever going to this place so highly recommend it, especially with a group of people. And the weekends include live Cuban music. Love it! The only thing turns me off is the valet charge of $7 and then of course, you have to tip the guy once you get your car back. Really? Charge me to park so I can eat at your restaurant? Not cool. I'm also not a fan of having people in the restroom giving me a paper towel to dry my hands while a tip bowl is right in front of me. More money. I really don't need someone giving me a paper towel; I can do it all by myself.Special Features:
- Wonderful night outKaren0710Dined on 9/27/2014It was my Mother-in-Laws birthday and we wanted to take her somewhere special. We arrived in style with the valet parking. No stress to find a parking spot. The view of New York was amazing. Everything we ordered was delicious. We will be back.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Good ambiance for a date night also the views of Manhattan were lovely.Special Features:
- Worth a visitTryCubanoDined on 9/20/2014The ambience is worth a visit as is the view. The food was very good but the service was no other way to say it atrocious. Didn't get our bread, water wasn't refilled even after asking, some food came out cold, took forever to get the check and when I did took another forever for them to get it. Finally left cash and left. Will come back to try a second time but if the service is THAT bad again won't be coming back.Special Features:
- Great food and viewMamarockDined on 9/12/2014We had a Friday date night with my husband at Son Cubanos. We decided to be seated outside. The view of the Manhattan skyline was gorgeous, the food was great and service pretty good. It is way more casual if you prefer eat there earlier (like 6-8pm) , and outside, so their business casual dress code is way too dressy for that. However, if you prefer to dine inside later or hang out at the bar or in the lounge, it's more dressy. They had a nice Cuban band playing, if you like that sort of thing. However, it's way too noisy inside for a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okay food...great DJladylionDined on 9/6/2014The food was mediocre at best. However, the drinks were awesome and the DJ as great. If I came back it definitely wouldn't be for the food. I had the skirt steak. It came to the table warm and dried out like it had been sitting under a heating lamp. The rice & beans were okay...but looked old. Overall, my next visit I'd skip the food and go straight to the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReenergizingJazzyCVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love this spot!! Truly breathtaking !!! Rogelio is a gem. Thank you for your suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOP OF MY LIST!SkippyDined on 8/28/2014I selected this restaurant based on what I read on open table, well-it went BEYOND my expectations. The view was KILLER and my clients were extremely impressed. The bar scene was good, dancing, lots of energy. I will definitely come back and make this one of my top recommendations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Very good restaurant, good food, great location overseeing New York. Should not charge mandatory 20% tip - this was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatenzoDined on 8/23/2014I had read reviews on the restaurant that was mixed so when we arrived we were seated quickly our server came very promptly our appetizers were great portions dinner was awesome we went to celebrate our anniversary spent a great night music was nice staff was excellent will be going back again highly recommend to anyone wanting to try great food in great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!RachierachDined on 8/20/2014When ever I get the choice of where to eat I always choose Son Cubano. The Ropa Vieja is to die for! Great place to come with the family or on a date. I've been to parties as we'll and they are always greatSpecial Features:
- Don't buy the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Great location, great view, effort at service, but the food sucks, and service is slow. After waiting almost 45 minutes my wife's dish came out with undercooked potatoes; when we complained, the offered to substitute with something else, but instead of just switching the potatoes to rice, they cooked a brand new dish, which took another 20 minutes and 3 requests from the waiter to come out, and the veggies disappeared and all that was served was fish and rice. Nice try, but no cigar. This place is all show, nothing more.Special Features:
- Not worth the high price.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014While the food was good, the service was ok. Not what you would expect for the money you spend. Way overpriced. Much better places to spend that kind of money on.Special Features:
- DoThingsDined on 8/8/2014Excellent find that I typically don't even look for but in warmer climates. Excellent vibeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Had a great time with my wife for our anniversary. Good was good and the service was great. NYC scene at night was GREAT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but too noisey insidesanantoniocoupleDined on 8/7/2014Food was superb; View is amazing; Service was overall good, but a water glass was spilled by server on our party and no accommodation was made. We ate outside arriving at 8:45pm. There was a DJ inside and had we wanted to dine in their beautiful dining room we would not have been able to hear one another. The start time for the DJ needs review.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/5/2014location, ambiance worth the price.... Food & service is not..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceSlowDined on 8/5/2014If you're in a hurry to eat, this is not the place for you. And when the appetizers were delivered, we had yet been given utensils and water.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014You go here for the view. The food was so-so and the service was slow.
- Beautiful RestaurantelesterDined on 8/4/2014The food at Son Cubano is quite delicious and the ambience is distinctive and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old world charmOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014Scenic views, excellent for people watching with an "old world" ambiance, which includes unrushed attentiveness between courses so as to savor the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anieroseDined on 7/30/2014We went on Hudson Restaurant Week! The food on the menu was exquisite! The only thing negative I have to say 'oh my goodness' they took forever not only attending us but serving our food..let's say it took us 3hrs for app, entree & no we didn't want to wait any longer for desert, we took it to go! LOLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014Disappointing on many levels, will never go back to Son Cubano. We went there to celebrate my dauther's birthday and it was a dissaster from the service to the food. This was one of our favorite places to eat. You have to train your waiters better with the customers. The one we got was horrible and not professional at all. Took for ever to bring anything the basic water/bread because he was taking care of tables outside and inside which I thought was not very professional. Very dissatisfied will never go back and will NEVER recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- A must go!MickieDined on 7/30/2014Consistently excellent in every way, food is delicious and the service is the highest quality. I am never disappointed when I go there.Special Features:
- Great Food; Average Serviceathena1Dined on 7/29/2014I never tire of seeing the NYC skyline. That view coupled with delicious food made this a great dining experience. My one complaint is that it took half an hour for us to get our drinks from the bar. About twenty minutes in I asked our waitress (who never told us her name) about our drinks. She was very dismissive of me. When our drinks finally arrived there was no apology or explanation for the delay. I would however return to this restaurant in spite of this missive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticSL114Dined on 7/27/2014The food was good, the view was beautiful. A very romanticSpecial Features:
- Firing on all eight cylindersEddieDined on 7/26/2014Son Cubano is more than just another beautiful space with expensive cocktails. Much more. The service at the bar was strong and the drinks were perfect. We ate at the bar and had a great meal with exceptional service. Excellent ropa vieja and the apps were awesome. Our bartender made perfect, repeat perfect Mojitos. So good i had to stop at two. A little after dinner dancing and my date was in heaven. Great venue.Special Features:
- The following 358 reviews are from the Son Cubano - New Jersey reviews archive.
- Beware theft!suziDined on 7/26/2014The ambiance is a funky, elegant fusion which I really like. The menu offers interesting flavors and the bartenders happily mix great drinks. The down side is that their are some unscrupulous people working there that took a credit card we left behind with the check and tried to use it to buy $1062.00 worth of merchandise at a Kearny Walmart. Management was disinterested to say the least. If I were running a classy restaurant, I would want to be certain I weeded out the culprit of this scheme so as not to deter guests such as myself from ever returning. GUARD YOUR WALLETS!!Special Features:
- Great customer serviceKyiaDined on 7/23/2014From the begin to end great customer service. Our Waitress Brittany was outstanding. She was knowledgeable of all their dishes and how it was made. Will return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodKrisDined on 7/19/2014Expensive and poor quality food. Don't order steaks. came with Yuca fries was so rubbery and hard. couldn't even chew. I won't go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing PlaceWineandDine45Dined on 7/19/2014Had to take a business partner out for dinner and this place was perfect. Delicious food, stylish, and spectacular view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MariDined on 7/18/2014I felt like I was on vacation as soon as I stepped onto the terrace and saw the fabulous view of NYC. The food was great starting with the guayaba butter, yum! They had my favorite dish from Miami, Arroz Imperial which was very good. The avocado did was also very good. The Tres leche was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.