4820 Washington Ave
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.somasushi.com/
- Phone: 7138612726
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Wednesday: 11:30-11:00pm (bar closes at 12:00) Thursday-Friday: 11:30-12:00am(bar closes at 1am) Saturday: 12:00- 12:00am (bar closes at 1am) Sunday 12:00-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Jason Hauck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available for all restaurants in The Azuma Group. Please contact the Director of Special Events Quinn Hoang @ firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: 15-20 capacity
- Private Party Contact: Ryan Snyder 7138612726
- Special Events: Soma Sushi would be delighted to accommodate all of your private dining and special event requests. Please contact the Director of Special Events at email@example.com for more information.
A word from Soma Sushi
The talented team of Executive Chef Jason Hauck, Head Sushi Chef David Kim and Sommelier James Watkins has perfected the winning combination of playful, exotic sushi and stunning Franco-Japanese cuisine. With the pairing of cutting edge, hand-crafted cocktails and the most extensive collection of fine sake in the city, all served in a sexy, modern atmosphere, Soma Sushi is the premiere sushi destination for Houstonians. The restaurant features two floors available for dining, including a full-sized semi-private upstairs dining area and an even more intimate smaller private room for the most special of occasions. Soma Sushi also has an expansive lounge area, bar area and outdoor patio complete with a bubbling koi pond for all your group functions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Soma Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
- First Time AdventureOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014This was excellent for a first time sushi dinner with a friend. Wait staff are very helpful and knowlegdgeable. A great evening!Special Features:
- It took 20 minutes after weOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014It took 20 minutes after we were seated for a waiter to acknowledge us (and that's only because I went back up to the host stand and asked if there was a waiter assigned to our table). After that the service was decent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good and atmosphereSeanDined on 2/22/2014The food came out quickly and tasted great. Service was very good. Great dinner environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!asiansoupfiendDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I don't get out of the house alone as much as we would like, but when we do in the future I will definitely return to Soma. Not only do they have the best Ramen in Houston, but they also have the best Uni I have ever had in my life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish Decor & Seasonal MenusAlainHarveyDined on 2/21/2014Soma's seasonally changing menu of sushi rolls and French-influenced Japanese entrees uses fresh and locally sourced ingredients and are always excellent. The winner of Best Sushi from the Houston Press in 2009, Soma features a lively and modern environment, with high ceilings and red accents bringing style to the space. Stake out a spot with fellow culinary cops at the wraparound sushi bar, or take to the restaurant's large enclosed patio for people-watching and fish-ogling. Reservations are recommended.Special Features:
- love the ceviche shooterstxchicVIPDined on 2/19/2014The ceviche shooters were beautifully presented and tasted fresh and light, unlike many ceviches in which the lime/lemon juice overpower the seafood. My Texas ramen was interesting, not a classic ramen, but very flavorful. While the barbecued pork belly seemed a bit out of place at first bite, the second and third bites confirmed that different is not always a bad thing. I enjoyed the ramen immensely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Mama's SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014We love Soma Sushi. They have some inventive offerings - not your mama's California or Spider roll. I am usually a one-dish per restaurant person -- I get stuck on the one favorite entree. Soma always has something different to offer and I have tried many of their entrees, rolls, appetizers, etc. Also surprising are their seasonal desserts which are creative and tasty. The service is really good and if they make a mistake -- they fix it to your satisfaction. Soma also has a frequent eater rewards card, which is really nice. I love getting coupons in the mail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SomaRon1324Dined on 2/14/2014Great place to take a date and the food was great as well. The prices are won't shock you and the wait staff was very friendly. I recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Good experience.SushiFiendDined on 2/14/2014Went for valentine's day. Sushi was fantastic. Service was good for us. We did not order appetizers but the table next to us arrived shortly after and didn't get their edamame appetizer for at least 45 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We had a great time. The entire experience was nice. A little pricey, but seemed worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitiluvfoodDined on 2/14/2014enjoyed the whole experience. Very helpful staff that made our experience shine for our first Valentines Day spent together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, slow serviceIluvSushiDined on 2/11/2014It was a tuesday night and quiet for Valentines week but the sushi was awesome as usual. The service was slow but very pleasant. Always recomend Soma for great sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night !DatenightDined on 2/7/2014This was our first trip to Soma before going dancing. Beautiful place ! The place was full, with folks waiting, but we had a reservation and were seated immediately. Friendly, informed service...beautiful presentation of our food....and everything we ate was delicious ! We will be back !Special Features:
- Fantastic local findFeaselDined on 2/1/2014Went to Soma because my friends fancied sushi and it was 4 mins walk from our house, and we had a great time. Food was outstanding, and our waiter was great - gave lots of good recommendations and was very helpful. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soma always has good food,KoovieDined on 1/29/2014Soma always has good food, but the service is hit or miss. This last time I went, the service was really top-notch, and we had a great host and waiter. Great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soma so good sushi so bad servicehoustonproud03Dined on 1/25/2014Made a reservation for five on Friday. Had great tasting, interesting sushi with moderately high prices. Unfortunately they seated us upstairs. After ascending the steep and poorly lit staircase, we were seated in an area that had 1 server for three parties. The other two were very large. Needless to say the service was neglectful and poorly managed. Go for the good sushi but not upstairs! Also, the dessert was mediocre. So I would recommend going elsewhere for the afters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patience is keyLove2GourmetVIPDined on 1/11/2014I gave the service two stars because I was not given prompt attention after arrival and seeing other tables getting service. After having to approach the hostess and with the offer from another person was going to leave the hostess area and serve us . . . ANDY (a waiter stepped who just happened to observe my annoyance) took over someone else's area and once he began to take care of our table, even bringing a complimentary bowl of edamame, the situation was diffused. The food was wonderful as I sampled the wings, the petite crabcakes, and the pork bun. The drinks were even better as I had a couple of the red dragon ritas. I will definitely return, however, if Andy is not there I will go to another establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ramen Did Not DisappointaandsmendozaDined on 1/10/2014My husband and I chose this restaurant for their famous ramen and it was DELICIOUS! They have a great happy hour menu and we tried several of their signature cocktails and they were yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT sushiCLasy1Dined on 1/8/2014Soma has great sushi that is consistent visit-to-visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKayeDined on 1/8/2014The red devil and seafood Mac and Cheese are excellent. The Reisling they carry is also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!TanyaDined on 12/31/2013We had NYE reservations and Soma was perfect! They called to confirm our reservations and everything was ready when we arrived. We had a party of 10 and they split the checks no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, knowledgeable waiter,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/29/2013A very enjoyable experience! Waiter suggested a number of rolls that we enjoyed very much. Great location, fun ambience, overall highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi at a good priceMissyk00VIPDined on 12/29/2013I like their happy hour especially for our kids but their rolls on the menu are worth the price, original and fresh. The sushi chefs are alwasys great to entertain our kids.
- Amazing Food & ServicetccrunsDined on 12/28/2013It has been 3 years since I last dinner at Soma and the food and service has improved since then. Go Now!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was great, weLuv2eatDined on 12/28/2013The service was great, we were there a while. We didn't feel rushed and the wait staff kept coming by to make we didn't need anything else. It helped that it was a lazy sat. Afternoon and the restaurant wasn't busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No parkingSickofValetsVIPDined on 12/26/2013Usually enjoy eating at Soma. This last trip however we went on a Thursday night, and the parking situation was worthless. The only thing available was valet. There were several spots in the parking lot, but were reserved for other businesses in the building. Street parking was metered, even after 6 p.m. (an effect of Washington Ave. popularity.) We didn't eat at Soma because of the parking situation. Instead, we went to Woodrows' in the Heights (one block away) which has ample, free parking....and is good eating too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushidisappointedVIPDined on 12/20/2013I'm from japan and think soma is the best sushi in Houston.Special Features:
- BirthdaysahoDined on 12/16/2013I took someone our for their birthday and they absolutely loved it. The Irishman and hot sake were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but sloppy serviceMichaelBVIPDined on 12/15/2013The food was great, but one of my orders (the heirloom spider roll) took forever. There was no explanation other than constant false promises. Further, nothing was done to compensate me for wasting an unwarranted 30 minutes at the restuarant (had plans afterwards). I may come back, but not too sure. Food is good though.Special Features:
- Was looking for ramenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013My wife and I ordered the Gyoza and Texas ramen, both were excellent the broth on ramen was rich and flavorful the pork was smoky and tasted awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceBdaygirlDined on 11/23/2013This was my first time dining at Soma Sushi. It was very nice and elegant. Perfect atmosphere for my birthday. Great service, food, and drinks. All around wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Ramen and Great CocktailsJoeyDined on 11/16/2013I've been to several restaurants in Houston that serve Ramen, and I can safely say that Soma is the very best around. You can't miss with any Ramen choice, but my favorite is actually the Black Bean Ramen (great, deep umami flavor). Try the house cocktails as well, they are very tasty and imaginative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Friendly!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/13/2013As usual, had an amazing Gluten Free meal thanks to our server and chefs. They were able to alter pretty much any of the rolls and boy did I eat! They also have GF soy sauce! Food and ambiance was amazing. Cheers!
- Pretty good!ShayhemDined on 11/10/2013I liked my experience here but wish they'd had a bit more selection. Hey we're out of a few things we wanted and we asked about things the staff didn't understand like super white...it was ok but I know way better places. :/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiRichardVIPDined on 11/7/2013We had an excellent meal in spite of indifferent service. Sushi was fresh, the seafood ramen was nice, really enjoyed all the food. Would have enjoyed evening more if waitstaff was more attentive. At this price point, they really should have been.Special Features:
- Not fit to eatSushiSnobDined on 11/5/2013I cannot say enough to dissuade you from visiting Soma. The effort and money invested evidently all went into the kitschy decor. The waiter was clueless about some pretty basic variations. The suggested cold sake had a licorice taste resembling Jägermeister. We ordered their sake clams as an appetizer and a couple were bad. Tasted like a garbage truck. It kind of killed the energy of our first date. The rest of the meal consisted of passable nigiri and rolls, but the meal left my mouth feeling like it had been painted with Crisco. I've had a lot of sushi over the years but this was an unparalleled disappointment. All-in-all, it is $130 I wish I could have back and I'd have made a stink if I weren't on a first date. Stay away.
- Great, Great, GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013Soma Sushi is best in Houston! Decor is awesome and sets the scene for an exciting eating experience. Food was creative and delicious. My waiter Josh did a great job and made our experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushichasvbDined on 10/21/2013Creative and asty sushi and sashimi dishes in a beautiful setting. The happy hour menu is a great value, better than the rest of the Azuma group. Surprisingly affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always love a meal at Soma.foodiefoolVIPDined on 10/19/2013I always love a meal at Soma. This time we took our son, visiting from Boston, for his first taste of Ramen. We started with nigiri, which was wonderfully fresh as usual. Love the Madai with crispy leeks and recommend you go for that when it is available. We all shared a Crazy Irishman roll, at happy hour bargain price. Hubby stayed with sushi, choosing School of Salmon, Yellowtail with fois gras, ocean trout, all with sharkskin grated wasabi. Son had black bean ramen and I had Soma ramen. Both were perfect, hot rich broths, perfect noodles, lovely condiments, lovely. Our server, Craig, was knowledgeable and attentive. Chef Gabe stopped by our table to chat. The Red Dragon Ritas are also amazing. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Best Sushi in HoustonSeekingGoodFoodVIPDined on 10/16/2013Even though Soma Sushi is far from the house, I try to go there when I can if I feel like having sushi or any kind of japanese food. Lunch is a great time and I enjoy their daily chef's bento box.I would recommend this to a friend.