SOMA Restaurant & Bar
85 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
SOMA Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.letseat.at/SomaRestaurant
- Phone: 4157798500
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30 am - 10:30 am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining in a separate dining room with a maximum occupancy of 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kazo 4152357196
A word from SOMA Restaurant & Bar
SOMA Restaurant & bar is a little gem in the heart of downtown San Francisco across from the old US Mint Building. We offer authentic Mediterranean and Italian cuisine prepared only with fresh and seasonal ingredients. SOMA restaurant is a step away from Union Square. Our bar will remain open until midnight offering an extended variety of cocktails, high-end imported and local spirits as well as a late-night menu of small bitesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOMA Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Wonderful Neighborhood FindStampwifeDined on 7/28/2014An unimposing exterior and location, but a lovely little restaurant with excellent food and service. We stayed in SF for 5 days, and this place was the one my husband liked the best. Salads were excellent, calamari was extremely well done, and his seafood pasta was delicious. We also had a great bottle of wine at a very reasonable price. The menu is a little limited, but this is the kind of place you find locals who appreciate good food at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant MealCocoVIPDined on 7/19/2014There are so many food choices in San Francisco. But we took a chance to check out this lovely neighborhood spot. In short, the food was good. I enjoyed my chicken marsala. Plump juicy chicken cooked perfectly with a yummy mushroom marsala wine sauce tasty garlic mashed crispy vegetable medley of zucchini broccoli and carrots. Appetizers were dolmas, which were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant for a groupBigEaterDined on 6/25/2014We had a group of 12...that quickly became a group of 20. But SOMA was very accommodating and took care of us. Great food and great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in the Union Square areaNYCdineDined on 6/15/2014Good food done well! Excellent and kind waitstaff. Would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a big groupOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2014We went for a large work dinner of 18 people and found the place very hospitable and quick. Food was ok but the dining area was a bit dark and felt a bit more like an extension to the bar than a restaurant itself. All diners were happy with their food and they were accommodating with our flexible group size so would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- The following 21 reviews are from the SOMA Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- It was OK, nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2014I was expecting more based on the reviews. The place is a strange combination of a sports bar and a "semi-nice" restaurant. Plain wooden table with no tablecloths, but nice napkins, for example. The food was decent - I had salmon which was good. I picked this place because it is close to Moscone Center where I was supposed to meet a friend. Parking structure is right across the street which is very convenient. Overall, average place that doesn't stand out in any way.
- + & -SiempreotravezDined on 2/28/2014This was a very busy place on Friday evening. It is not too large, but it was VERY noisy. We started with cocktails, my wife enjoyed her Cosmo. I tried their specialty "Cucumber Collins". This was terrible. It was mixed poorly and themed thrown in cucumber debris that moly clogged the straw. We shared a Campeche appetizer that was quie good, made with a basaltic vinegar reduction. My wife had chicken piccata. She enjoyed it. It came with vegetables and a mountain of mashed potatoes. I had a kebab which was a combination of lamb and beef with rice and vegetables. It was good. A little too salty for my taste, but still good. We finished with coffee & tea. The coffee was good, but refills were not offered or easily obtained.
- Food was good, well made,BobbVIPDined on 2/27/2014Food was good, well made, but not distinctive. But a good spot to eat in this neighborhood.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!renodeanVIPDined on 2/15/2014Found this place on Open Table. Don't think I would have ever stopped there if I hadn't seen it on Open Table. Ended up eating there two nights! Good food. Good service. It's a bar/restaurant combo that's very close to Moscone Center. From the outside it didn't look like anything special but I was impressed with the food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last minute eatEllieDined on 1/1/2014The food was very good. We had the mezzo platter and chicken kebabs. Both were wonderful. Very comfy and quiet which was great for us with a kid (who more than enjoyed the hummus and pita!).Special Features:
- Wonderful waitstaff at SOMAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013We're locals and went for SOMA because we needed a quick downtown spot on a Sunday that was neither high road ($28 entrees) or low road (fast food). The staff is friendly, helpful, and kind and there is linen on the tables. For a "hub," downtown venue, it's a fair middle of the road bar/restaurant combo. Kid/adult friendly with good appetizers: calamari, grape leaves, lentil soup remarkable and came piping hot. Small pizzas a good pick for young children/adults. We didn't try the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A swing and a missmiriVIPDined on 11/15/2013The drinks were not made correctly. The food was edible but is something I could have pulled out of the freezer section and microwaved in the break room.
- Pleasantly SurprisedCindys30thDined on 10/26/2013We went here for my 30th birthday. They were nice enough to accommodate my large party of 13 people, although we were in a secluded area that had poor ventilation. It became very hot! But the food was surprisingly delicious. I had the gnocchi, which was delicious. Others had the burger, which they said was good as were the appetizers. The waitstaff was pleasant and pretty attentive for being such a large party. I thought the prices were reasonable as well. Would recommend to friends and would def return again for more gnocchi!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findtrvlnaddictDined on 9/28/2013We were a party of 13 celebrating a 50th birthday. We enjoyed our meal at SOMA. The waitress was absolutely fantastic and I am still remembering the delicious gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client meeting placetravelnodDined on 9/24/2013Great place for a meeting near Moscone Center. Service was excellent and the food hit the mark. I have dined here many times and always have a great experience even during the busiest times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Business LunchjdaneseDined on 9/23/2013Worked very well for a casual business lunch with a colleague and customer. Service was a bit scattered, but well-intentioned and food was interesting a well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2013Nice little restaurant on the corner. Close to the parking garage. Service was good. Ordered from the happy hour drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very few placesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2013One of the very few places in the area if you need to have a breakfast as early as 7:30 am. Great food and fast service - all you really need that early in the morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise at 5th & Mission!theatremomDined on 6/29/2013Parked at the 5th & Mission garage looking for a place to eat and walked across the street into SOMA. What a wonderful, unexpected find! Our evening started out with a deliciously chunky dipping sauce for the soft fresh bread that arrived as we looked over the menu. We shared the hummus appetizer that came with delicate pita bread and my friend declared to our waiter that it was one of the tastiest hummus she'd ever had. My pasta with roasted eggplant was excellent, and my friend's spicy ground lamb and beef kebab was juicy and mouth-watering. I've been back with my husband and he hasn't been so lucky. He wasn't thrilled with his caprese appetizer or chicken marsala so the menu might be inconsistent, but I'll definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find and rendevouz place.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2013Great find and rendevouz place. Service was excellent, mediterranean platter outstanding. You can't beat their happy hour!Special Features:
- Great Greek/MediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2012Great Mediterranean cuisine near the Metreon. Restaurant is attached to a hotel, even though it has it's own entrance. Ambiance is OK.
- Good for a quick meal in downtownGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2012Good for a quick meal in downtown San Francisco and the price is reasonable.
- i really liked the restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012i really liked the restaurants look and feel however the food on the other hand was a different issue! i absolutely loved the calamari but everything else such as the sea food fett. was not anywhere near my liking the only the that i was pleased with was the ambiance and service, food not at all...
- The location is great if youBarbaraFVIPDined on 2/18/2012The location is great if you are in the SOMA area;you can park at the Mission/5th street garage. The food was pretty good actually: the Mezze platter, the Adana Kebab and the beef Shish Kebab were are tasty. However, the Kebab portions were somewhat small given the prices. The salads however were very generous. We were able to share the Greek salad starter as it was so large. Service was friendly and attentive.
- at the old location of a barOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/13/2012at the old location of a bar ("Joe's _' Fifth @ Mission) .. not an aspiring cuisine 'gem', but they do deliver reasonable variety & fare in a key neighborhood - lunch and very convenient & adequate for the pre-evening event quick dinner. And it's still a good bar.Special Features:
- No nonsense meal in a comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2011No nonsense meal in a comfortable environment, away from herds of tourists. Prices reasonable and service friendly.Special Features: