Solterra Winery and Kitchen
934 North Coast Hwy 101
Leucadia, CA 92024Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solterra Winery and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solterrawinery.com/index.php
- Phone: 7602302970x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday-Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Served Daily from 5:00pm-10pm
Friday & Saturday late night drinks from 10:00pm-midnight
Live Entertainment Thursday-Saturday @ 7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Suzie Williams, Winner of "Chef Wanted" on the Food Network
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Thursday-Saturday 7:00pm
- Special Events: "Night at the Opera"/Make a Wish-November 2nd, 2014.
5 Course wine dinner paired with Solterra wines & rare Barrel tasting with the Owner/Winemaker Chris Van Alyea.
Kassandra, young, well-known Opera Singer in San Diego will be performing.
Only 60 seats available. Tickets start on sale October 1st.
$250.00 with 33% proceeds going to the Make a Wish Foundation.
A word from Solterra Winery and Kitchen
Solterra Owner and Winemaker Chris Van Alyea (on premise daily after 4 pm for impromptu tastings) grew up in Sonoma County and has been making wine for the last 14 years from grapes sourced from Sonoma county, Lake County, Paso Robles, San Diego County, and Baja Mexico. The wines have garnered Golds and Best of Class at top competitions in California. Chris, his wife Audrey and the Solterra staff look forward to your visit. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Solterra Winery and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Solterra Winery and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (31)fit for foodies (31)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (27)hot spot (18)special occasion (16)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (11)late-night find (9)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice SurpriseNowEatThisDined on 9/10/2014I wanted to find a new place to have dinner and wine with my husband for his birthday. I got on Open Table not knowing what I was looking for. Solterra was great! Our server, Brian, was fantastic. We shared the cauliflower, crispy ribs and seafood paella and they were fantastic! Brian recommended a glass of wine based on my preferences and it was awesome! We will definitely go back! Although two trains went by, which were quite loud, the ambiance was still awesome overall. My only complaint would be that through Open Table, I remarked that it was my husbands birthday. We didn't expect much but there was no acknowledgement whatsoever. This is then second time I have tried informing the restaurant through Open Table and nothing was said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 9/6/2014The service and food was excellent. Great addition to North County.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceJadoreVinoDined on 9/5/2014I celebrated my 30th birthday at Solterra Winery and Kitchen and everything was perfect! The wine is exquisite! The Chardonnay and Grenache were my favorites! My girlfriends tried the Albarino and Zin and loved it! Cheers to the winemaker! Our server, Nick, was very attentive and friendly and very knowledgeable of the wine. To top it all, the food was amazing! Hats off to the Chef! The seafood paella is to die for! I really enjoyed to tortilla espanola as well! There was a great musician playing that night who was singing Motown hits all night long. I loved it! Nick brought out my cake and the musician sang happy birthday to me and another gal celebrating her birthday as well. The night was so lovely, I'd definitely dine there again!!!Special Features:
- Loved sol terra!LauraJDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! They are a winery so they don't have other hard liquor but that didn't matter. We enjoyed the wine very much sitting amongst the barrels!! The menu is mostly tapas and we shared them all. They were excellent!! There was live music inside and great outdoor seating. All in all great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the barrel tables.Out2eatDined on 8/24/2014Great food, just make sure to avoid the barrel tables. We sat at a table made out of a barrel with a top and it was very uncomfortable. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers!winendineDined on 8/20/2014Amazing Service!, Interesting choices in food all of which were scrumptious, & great sharing. If in doubt, the charcuterie is beautiful & generous. Wines... Need you ask? The best!Special Features:
- The service and food were amazing!Shawn44Dined on 8/15/2014Really impressed by how friendly and knowledgable the servers were. The food and wine were top notch! I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyAskandarDined on 8/9/2014Great place for good food and good wine. Attractive wine bar, with indoor and outdoor seating and a nice outdoor fire table. Service is great but was just a bit slow due to being very busy that night. Staff are very pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stands out from the restGonealohaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Working winery as the dining room, and open to 101 and the location is outstanding. Don't pass it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday dinner w JAndy123VIPDined on 8/8/2014Interesting concept. Interesting and creative menu. Good food n service good. Only complaint is that we shared our own bottle of wine with staff n kitchen and they still charged corkage. Live n learn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindDebbieVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food and service was outstanding. A great place for dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious and DifferentMmmFoodDined on 8/6/2014This is such a neighborhood gem in the Leucadia area of Encinitas. My husband and I went here for a date night on a Wednesday which was also Ladies Night so it was a little busy. After we were seated outside in the patio area, our server Ben immediately came to our table and discussed the concept of the winery/restaurant and wines. My husband's favorite was their Solterra white wine and mine was the Cameron syrah which was delicious. I especially like that you can order half glasses of wine so I was able to try more. The food was delicious and we ordered the cheese plate (yum), crispy ribs, artichoke flat bread, steak skewers, and chocolate cake. All was well prepared and plated and enough for two people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Went here to celebrate a birthday dinner. The actually food was great, but the service was soooooooo slow! Would not go back for a sit down dinner. More of a happy hour place.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!JulieDined on 7/31/2014I read the reviews complaining about the lack of wine choices, but the ambience, outdoor fire scene, fun food choices and great service more than made up for it. It is a great place to hang with friends, talk, sample food and wine and have fun. The ribs were fabulous and the paella was very good as well. Highly recommend for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014The location, service and food was excellent ! Will come back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Always great food, wine and service at Solterra! We are frequent visitors and always enjoy ourselves. This visit we were a party of 6 with 4 newbies.....and everyone loved the food and wine. Good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Spot!LuckyJVIPDined on 7/15/2014I'm so thrilled to have Solterra in the neighborhood! Not only is the food amazing- but the vibe is just so fun,and casual. The service is First Class! Brett- our Server for the meal- was extraordinary! I wished he could have eaten with us!! Thanks for showing up, and making Leucadia Funkier- and way more Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Casual LunchHalseyVIPDined on 7/11/2014I always stop at Solterra when I visit Encinitas. A must. This time involved a family gathering--8 of us altogether. WOW! Service was fantastic this time (service is sometimes spotty here), and the food as usual was top notch. We ordered a variety: papas brava, shrimp skewers, tri-tip skewers, bocadillas, green bean salad. Don't miss the olives--spicy and flavorful. They were out of the strawberry dessert, so we had the chocolate cake, along with French Press coffee. What a great, memorable afternoon. We will back again in August!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Yes I would recommend this restaurant! Great selection of wines, great tapas for sharing and everything was delicious and perfectly seasoned and cooked! This is coming from a group of 4 foodies and cooksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety with QualityraneyVIPDined on 6/28/2014We've been several times, and as much as I have loved each visit, I'm glad to see the menu changing regularly. Even though our favorite Brussels Sprouts dish was gone, it was replaced by a fantastic crispy cauliflower. The asparagus with poached egg and truffles was also wonderful.Special Features:
- Amazing food and wineSkimDined on 6/23/2014Unbelievable food, small dishes so can sample many. And truly amazing wines made right on scene. Most excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations, mixed resultsDollfaceLVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great indoor/outdoor space, waiter was not trained on the menu and couldn't answer questions confidently about foo or wine. The wine is definitely subpar--the owner only serves his label. Many different types of grapes are served--they would be better off perfecting a select few instead serving a mediocre 25. We ordered the beef skewers (bland and grisly), corn nuts (not revolutionary), potatoes (lacking seasoning), calamari (soggy), corn soup (delicious, not hot enough), Serrano ham flatbread (nothing revolutionary), scallops (perfectly cooked), ribs (excellent), strawberry shortcake (bland and boring), and flour less chocolate cake (great). A train passes every so often (noisy). I won't return because there are too many other good spots.Special Features:
- Quiet Friday LunchSuzeChewsDined on 6/13/2014I met three friends here for lunch on a Friday at 1:00 and it was quiet. We started with a charcuterie board - delicious cheeses, meats, olives, marcona almonds, dried figs, currants served on a slab of slate with whole grain bread. I shared a bocadillo (sandwich) with a friend (don't share, it's tiny) and we each had three glasses of wine! The service was slow (one friend had to go on safari for her wine) and our waiter forgot about us. We had a great table by the window in the bar area for people viewing and fresh air. Water in colorful growler bottles was in plentiful supply and left on the table, which was nice. Dinner menu is better than lunch menu. Go at night for a more enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- Amazing.MegslyeatsDined on 6/8/2014The food was superb and the service stellar. Amazing atmosphere. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Solterra Winery and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Food was good but hostess???PIsGuidetoGreatFoodDined on 5/17/2014We were greeted by a friendly hostess. This was our first time at this location so we did not know where to sit to wait. Re made reservations and they were a bit behind. After checking in, we stood on sidewalk and waited. We saw several people come n off the street and they walked to bar where they ordered wine and waited for their table. At this time we learned that instead of waiting on sidewalk, we could have enjoyed wine in the bar area. The hostess basically checked us in and told us to wait outside. Other than this, the food was great and our waiter was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique take on dinner and wine!mamatVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a sweet time on the patio out front. The food was delicious and the wine divine! A nice addition to dining on the 101Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great wine & tapas!waltzingmatildaDined on 5/11/2014we went for mothers day and our experience was excellent on all levels!!Special Features:
- Great looking insideJeffTVIPDined on 5/4/2014The service was friendly and attentive. Food was rather bland (except the marinated olives). Wine selections were pretty good, but not across the spectrum I would expect. The salad that comes with the Empandada was very lame with only a few greens. Not worth the extra $5. The Empanada crust was nice but chicken was boring. Octopus potato mixture was very good and flavorful. The menu on opentable is old so make sure you check their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2014Wine was warm, food okay. Very loud and service super slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in EncinitasHalseyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Whenever I go to Encinitas, I MUST have Saturday lunch at Solterra. The brussels sprouts are amazing. The Butternut squash cake (I think it was butternut squash) was SO wonderful. Shrimp skewers, flatbreads, spicy olives. The list goes on..lucky for all the diners! I am a diehard fan. Will be back in May. :)Special Features:
- Came for music, stayed for foodtunesloverDined on 4/3/2014We came to see a friend play some music. The restaurant was great. The wine was great. The food (I'm vegan) was good, not great. Brussel sprouts were good but lathered in butter. The vegetarian paella was great. The first time I've enjoyed turnips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Saturday NightDebraDined on 3/29/2014They should be prepared for large crowds on a Saturday night. They were off from the minute I arrived, they could not find my reservation through Open Table, even though I had he confirmation in my iphone; and the rest of the evening was down from there. We waited an extraordinary amount of time for our wine and when the appetizers came, looked as though the portions were half the presentation that they were meant to be. The kitchen was so far behind and when our food finally arrived, it was raw and otherwise uneatable. Sad to spend that much money and have to go through a drive-in for dinner at McDonalds.
- foodie favoritefffchefDined on 3/29/2014Solterra Winery and Kitchen is the perfect place to take good friends that love good food and wine. The atmosphere is casual and neighborhood friendly and the menu is always changing. We have been there about four times and there have always been new offerings ... all of them delicious. Luckily we are close enough to walk, but we have learned to make reservations because it is always packed and there have been times we could not get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potential!JessiebVIPDined on 3/28/2014The server told us they'd only been open for 10 months and this is apparent with the limited menu and running out of wine glasses. But all the tables were filled and the energy level was high. It's got a warm, urban feel to the interior with a nice front patio with fire pit. We had the artichoke flat bread pizza - it was good, not great, and was smaller than I expected. We nibbled on spicy olives and rosemary and salted almonds - both were yum. They only serve their own wines which are decent and reasonably priced, but don't expect outstanding vintages. I'd go back and try this place again, hopefully with a better experience the next time around.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsCankp81VIPDined on 3/28/2014Did a Living Social wine tasting for 4 that included a charcuterie platter and made dinner reservations for afterwards. They did the tasting & dinner at our table in the barrel room & it was all wonderful! Wish I remembered our servers name (handle bar mustache guy), but loved him! The food (crispy Brussels, patatas bravas, paella, scallops, desserts) all very good. Love the open, airy vibe. Very urban, modern, touches like the stone fire pit on the outdoor dining counter, or the vertical succulent garden, the rolled up garage doors that open up the bar to outside and the barrel room. Had a fabulous time & can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't Meet Our ExpectationsDININGDIVA2VIPDined on 3/18/2014From the moment we walked in the door and the hostess insisted in seating us at the smallest table (a 2 top against the wall by the bar area), it was downhill from there. We did finally (after asking) got seated at a larger table in the patio area. This was on a weekday night and it was not busy. The service was slow for an uncrowded night. We felt that the selections of wine by the glass we limited. We ordered the flank steak and the sauce was a bit on the oily side. We were looking for a "neighborhood gem" but didn't find it here.
- Wine with great tapasSoCalEnthuVIPDined on 3/15/2014We love coming here with a group of friends to enjoy the wine and food. We always enjoy great service and the environment is very relaxing. Usually they have a very good guitar player that adds to the feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second chance.CookingPartnersVIPDined on 3/6/2014Interesting menu. Food quality was great. Service was lacking. Waitress tried hard, but was overwhelmed. Said two employees did not show up. That happens, but I would have expected greater depth of staff. We will try it again and see who came to work that day. This could become a regular spot in that neighborhood if they can get the staffing worked out. We did get free coffee and dessert because it took so long to arrive. They tried to fix it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish food done right (for once)!SheriDined on 1/30/2014My husband and I love authentic Spanish food and sharing dishes. We are usually disappointed by 'Spanish' restaurants, but Solterra is the real deal. We've been twice and everything has been cooked perfectly and beautifully presented. Patatas bravas, boquerones, tortilla and other starters were authentic and tasty. The paella is made with bomba rice, which is harder to find and most restaurants don't bother. Too bad, because it really soaks up the flavor. The scallops are amazing! We also like being able to order 2oz glasses of wine so we can try new varieties as new dishes come. The noise level is pretty high but in a festive way, not ear-splitting. We're fans - it's a great place to spend a few hours sharing a meal with friends.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFarolDined on 1/22/2014Our family has lived in Leucadia for 40 years, and have always enjoyed trying new restaurants. The food, service, and ambience were all excellent, right down to the wonderful hostess who was so engaging. The root salad had unique and great flavor pairings, as did the paella. Wine selection was limited but we did find two we liked very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.