Solterra Winery and Kitchen
934 North Coast Hwy 101
Leucadia, CA 92024Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solterra Winery and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solterrawinery.com/index.php
- Phone: (760) 230-2970
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week
Happy Hour is everyday starting at 3:00-6:00pm
Extended to 7:00pm for Lady's night on Wednesday
Dinner served from 5:00-10:00pm DAILY
Friday & Saturday late night Reversed Happy Hour 9:30pm-Midnight
Live Entertainment Thursday-Saturday @ 7:00
TASTING ROOM OPEN THURSDAY-SUNDAY:12-5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Suzie Williams, Winner of "Chef Wanted" on the Food Network
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Thursday-Saturday 7:00pm
- Special Events: 4-course dinner with wine pairing from our new releases on November 2nd at 6:00pm. Entertainment with Kasondra. $69.00 per person before tax & gratuity. For reservations email Debbie Shepard at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Solterra Winery and Kitchen
Solterra Owner and Winemaker Chris Van Alyea (on premise daily after 4 pm for impromptu tastings) grew up in Sonoma County and has been making wine for the last 14 years from grapes sourced from Sonoma county, Lake County, Paso Robles, San Diego County, and Baja Mexico. The wines have garnered Golds and Best of Class at top competitions in California. Chris, his wife Audrey and the Solterra staff look forward to your visit. Cheers!Continued
We can accommodate large private events in our Barrel Room. Inquires email email@example.com
We can accommodate large private events in our Barrel Room. Inquires email firstname.lastname@example.org
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Solterra Winery and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Solterra Winery and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (32)good for groups (28)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (13)special occasion (12)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Another nice dinner - but loudDavethedinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014We've been to soltera many times and always enjoy it - great local wine - dry creek red in particular is good - as is the flatbread and salads. One warning - dont sit outside if you want to have a relaxed conversation - the band was too loud for friendly conversation - we ended up yelling across the table just to talkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time on the patioCbadDinerDined on 11/12/2014The inside restaurant was very noisy so we asked to be seated at the front outside patio which fa cf es the coast highway. It was a lot less noisy trafficwise than we thought so it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad overpriced foodDamian77Dined on 11/8/2014We ordered paella, octopus and calamari tapas, paella was awful, no taste, dry and nothing else but shrimp in it the rise overcooked, octopus burn and tasted burn, calamari super greasy, wine was ok, spend 100 $ for bad food. We even told the waiter that we didn't like the food and he shrugged and continued on. Will not recommend this place if you are into food.Special Features:
- Outstanding neighborhood findLaurenDined on 11/7/2014Wow, a top flight chef and excellent wines right in Leucadia! We went to Solterra to hear music (which was excellent). But the food and wine were outstanding. We'll go back frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutCharliesbeachmaDined on 11/5/2014We had a Girls Night Out planned and split each Flat bread on menu and all ordered salads as well. We enjoyed the food and the service was friendly. I wish parking was not so terrible that it starts your night of on the wrong foot. The noise level is really loud, but festive, however it is hard to have a conversation. Due to these factors, I couldn't give more stars. I would say it would be fun when you plan on small talking though. It has great wine and a very inventive menu.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Loved every minute. We ate in the Barrell Room and the atmosphere was fantastic. Our server Corbin was great and very helpful. We will definetly be back!Special Features:
- Good spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014The place is great! Tables around wine barrels, what a great idea! The service was very good and friendly. Food is also good. We ordered all kinds of tapas, our favorites were the octopus and the lamb ribs. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- kekaVIPDined on 10/29/2014it happened to be "ladies night" and we tried the specials. Shrimp cake was crispy and delicate. Lamb burger with all kinds of condiments and a glass of tempernillo were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working the kinks outLoveBrightonDined on 10/7/2014I made a reservation and we arrived a bit early. They had a table reserved for us outside, as I had requested, which was very nice. Once seated, we waited about 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged us. Then a waiter asked if we had been helped? We advised no, so he became our waiter after saying our waiter appeared busy. From there all went well. The food was good, although more of a place for tapas, as opposed to a full dinner menu. The wine was good, and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing service - Ian!CarlsbadFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Ian was phenomenal - He gave great recommendations on wine and food and even tasting notes on the beer and wine. His recommendations based on our preferences helped us decide on an amazing tapas dinner. We ordered just about everything - highlights included lamb chops, patatas bravas, burrata, beet salad, charcuterie and cheese plate, ceviche, paella. They were making wine on site and we were able to chat with one of the wine makers about the process. Very cool! Live music by ZB Savoy was amazing. Enhanced the phenomenal dining experience we were having. Our guests also loved Ian and Solterra so much that they will be coming back next week with friends from out of town as well - and asking specifically for Ian!Special Features:
- A Good Choice Once AgainCbadDinerDined on 9/21/2014Took out of town friends here for an early week dinner. The combination of their own on-site produced wines along with a tapas-style menu was a good choice for relaxed conversation. The staff is very friendly and professional so we didn't feel rushed. One plus is that they have a small selection of local craft beers for those that don't want wine and pair well with the menu. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseNowEatThisDined on 9/10/2014I wanted to find a new place to have dinner and wine with my husband for his birthday. I got on Open Table not knowing what I was looking for. Solterra was great! Our server, Brian, was fantastic. We shared the cauliflower, crispy ribs and seafood paella and they were fantastic! Brian recommended a glass of wine based on my preferences and it was awesome! We will definitely go back! Although two trains went by, which were quite loud, the ambiance was still awesome overall. My only complaint would be that through Open Table, I remarked that it was my husbands birthday. We didn't expect much but there was no acknowledgement whatsoever. This is then second time I have tried informing the restaurant through Open Table and nothing was said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieVIPDined on 9/6/2014The service and food was excellent. Great addition to North County.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceJadoreVinoDined on 9/5/2014I celebrated my 30th birthday at Solterra Winery and Kitchen and everything was perfect! The wine is exquisite! The Chardonnay and Grenache were my favorites! My girlfriends tried the Albarino and Zin and loved it! Cheers to the winemaker! Our server, Nick, was very attentive and friendly and very knowledgeable of the wine. To top it all, the food was amazing! Hats off to the Chef! The seafood paella is to die for! I really enjoyed to tortilla espanola as well! There was a great musician playing that night who was singing Motown hits all night long. I loved it! Nick brought out my cake and the musician sang happy birthday to me and another gal celebrating her birthday as well. The night was so lovely, I'd definitely dine there again!!!Special Features:
- Loved sol terra!LauraJDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! They are a winery so they don't have other hard liquor but that didn't matter. We enjoyed the wine very much sitting amongst the barrels!! The menu is mostly tapas and we shared them all. They were excellent!! There was live music inside and great outdoor seating. All in all great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the barrel tables.Out2eatDined on 8/24/2014Great food, just make sure to avoid the barrel tables. We sat at a table made out of a barrel with a top and it was very uncomfortable. The food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers!winendineDined on 8/20/2014Amazing Service!, Interesting choices in food all of which were scrumptious, & great sharing. If in doubt, the charcuterie is beautiful & generous. Wines... Need you ask? The best!Special Features:
- The service and food were amazing!Shawn44Dined on 8/15/2014Really impressed by how friendly and knowledgable the servers were. The food and wine were top notch! I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyAskandarDined on 8/9/2014Great place for good food and good wine. Attractive wine bar, with indoor and outdoor seating and a nice outdoor fire table. Service is great but was just a bit slow due to being very busy that night. Staff are very pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stands out from the restGonealohaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Working winery as the dining room, and open to 101 and the location is outstanding. Don't pass it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday dinner w JAndy123VIPDined on 8/8/2014Interesting concept. Interesting and creative menu. Good food n service good. Only complaint is that we shared our own bottle of wine with staff n kitchen and they still charged corkage. Live n learn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood FindDebbieVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food and service was outstanding. A great place for dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious and DifferentMmmFoodDined on 8/6/2014This is such a neighborhood gem in the Leucadia area of Encinitas. My husband and I went here for a date night on a Wednesday which was also Ladies Night so it was a little busy. After we were seated outside in the patio area, our server Ben immediately came to our table and discussed the concept of the winery/restaurant and wines. My husband's favorite was their Solterra white wine and mine was the Cameron syrah which was delicious. I especially like that you can order half glasses of wine so I was able to try more. The food was delicious and we ordered the cheese plate (yum), crispy ribs, artichoke flat bread, steak skewers, and chocolate cake. All was well prepared and plated and enough for two people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Went here to celebrate a birthday dinner. The actually food was great, but the service was soooooooo slow! Would not go back for a sit down dinner. More of a happy hour place.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!JulieDined on 7/31/2014I read the reviews complaining about the lack of wine choices, but the ambience, outdoor fire scene, fun food choices and great service more than made up for it. It is a great place to hang with friends, talk, sample food and wine and have fun. The ribs were fabulous and the paella was very good as well. Highly recommend for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- The following 33 reviews are from the Solterra Winery and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014The location, service and food was excellent ! Will come back again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Always great food, wine and service at Solterra! We are frequent visitors and always enjoy ourselves. This visit we were a party of 6 with 4 newbies.....and everyone loved the food and wine. Good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Spot!LuckyJVIPDined on 7/15/2014I'm so thrilled to have Solterra in the neighborhood! Not only is the food amazing- but the vibe is just so fun,and casual. The service is First Class! Brett- our Server for the meal- was extraordinary! I wished he could have eaten with us!! Thanks for showing up, and making Leucadia Funkier- and way more Fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Casual LunchHalseyVIPDined on 7/11/2014I always stop at Solterra when I visit Encinitas. A must. This time involved a family gathering--8 of us altogether. WOW! Service was fantastic this time (service is sometimes spotty here), and the food as usual was top notch. We ordered a variety: papas brava, shrimp skewers, tri-tip skewers, bocadillas, green bean salad. Don't miss the olives--spicy and flavorful. They were out of the strawberry dessert, so we had the chocolate cake, along with French Press coffee. What a great, memorable afternoon. We will back again in August!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Yes I would recommend this restaurant! Great selection of wines, great tapas for sharing and everything was delicious and perfectly seasoned and cooked! This is coming from a group of 4 foodies and cooksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety with QualityraneyVIPDined on 6/28/2014We've been several times, and as much as I have loved each visit, I'm glad to see the menu changing regularly. Even though our favorite Brussels Sprouts dish was gone, it was replaced by a fantastic crispy cauliflower. The asparagus with poached egg and truffles was also wonderful.Special Features:
- Amazing food and wineSkimDined on 6/23/2014Unbelievable food, small dishes so can sample many. And truly amazing wines made right on scene. Most excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High expectations, mixed resultsDollfaceLVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great indoor/outdoor space, waiter was not trained on the menu and couldn't answer questions confidently about foo or wine. The wine is definitely subpar--the owner only serves his label. Many different types of grapes are served--they would be better off perfecting a select few instead serving a mediocre 25. We ordered the beef skewers (bland and grisly), corn nuts (not revolutionary), potatoes (lacking seasoning), calamari (soggy), corn soup (delicious, not hot enough), Serrano ham flatbread (nothing revolutionary), scallops (perfectly cooked), ribs (excellent), strawberry shortcake (bland and boring), and flour less chocolate cake (great). A train passes every so often (noisy). I won't return because there are too many other good spots.Special Features:
- Quiet Friday LunchSuzeChewsDined on 6/13/2014I met three friends here for lunch on a Friday at 1:00 and it was quiet. We started with a charcuterie board - delicious cheeses, meats, olives, marcona almonds, dried figs, currants served on a slab of slate with whole grain bread. I shared a bocadillo (sandwich) with a friend (don't share, it's tiny) and we each had three glasses of wine! The service was slow (one friend had to go on safari for her wine) and our waiter forgot about us. We had a great table by the window in the bar area for people viewing and fresh air. Water in colorful growler bottles was in plentiful supply and left on the table, which was nice. Dinner menu is better than lunch menu. Go at night for a more enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- Amazing.MegslyeatsDined on 6/8/2014The food was superb and the service stellar. Amazing atmosphere. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but hostess???PIsGuidetoGreatFoodDined on 5/17/2014We were greeted by a friendly hostess. This was our first time at this location so we did not know where to sit to wait. Re made reservations and they were a bit behind. After checking in, we stood on sidewalk and waited. We saw several people come n off the street and they walked to bar where they ordered wine and waited for their table. At this time we learned that instead of waiting on sidewalk, we could have enjoyed wine in the bar area. The hostess basically checked us in and told us to wait outside. Other than this, the food was great and our waiter was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique take on dinner and wine!mamatVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a sweet time on the patio out front. The food was delicious and the wine divine! A nice addition to dining on the 101Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great wine & tapas!waltzingmatildaDined on 5/11/2014we went for mothers day and our experience was excellent on all levels!!Special Features:
- Great looking insideJeffTVIPDined on 5/4/2014The service was friendly and attentive. Food was rather bland (except the marinated olives). Wine selections were pretty good, but not across the spectrum I would expect. The salad that comes with the Empandada was very lame with only a few greens. Not worth the extra $5. The Empanada crust was nice but chicken was boring. Octopus potato mixture was very good and flavorful. The menu on opentable is old so make sure you check their website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2014Wine was warm, food okay. Very loud and service super slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.