4645 Park Blvd
San Diego, CA 92116Neighborhood:
PersianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soltanbanoo.com/
- Phone: 6192982801
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Persian, Fusion / Eclectic, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Mahin Mofazeli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Our catering options are listed on the website. If the packets don't meet your needs, email us with your budget, time and number of guest and we'll design a specific one for you.
So it went that in 2003, the trio moved operations across the street and named the restaurant after Mahin's grandmother, Soltan Banoo (King Lady). Today the three ladies work hard to create a warm place for all to gather, see a little of Iran (or Persia as it was at the time of Soltan Banoo) in University Heights and try Mahin's healthy, creative and eclectic homecooking.
- Excellent first experience!bakster21Dined on 4/29/2012It was our first time visiting Soltan Banoo, and we were very impressed with the service and food. All dishes were well-prepared and our needs were constantly being met. Portion sizes were appropriate for the dishes served, and we easily added appetizers and dessert without being too stuffed. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:
- a special placememorableDined on 4/23/2012This is a charming restaurant. They go overboard to give you the feeling that you are so welcome...the food is interesting. A must try is the Pomegranate Soup.Special Features:
- There were some very unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012There were some very unusual and tasty items on the menu. The food was really good. The place is pretty small and it's a little out of the way for visitors from out of town, but generally worth the effort. We found getting a cab back to the downtown district where our hotel was more challenging than would be ideal.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/4/2012This was our first introduction to Iranian cuisine. This was a unique dining experience that we really enjoyed. The bread pudding was fantastic and the service was really great. Our only complaint, that they ran out of their desserts on the menu. This is a local gem, that if in the area it is worth checking out!Special Features:
- Interesting Find!BZV143Dined on 2/4/2012We love Middle Eastern food so decided to try out Soltan Banoo after checking out the reviews. I particularly liked the fact that it was owned and operated by 3 Iranian women (girl power!). The atmosphere was homemade and homey/eclectic, the service was wonderful and very friendly. Our waitperson (I'm guessing one of the owners) helped us choose our dishes, two of them were the weekend specials: the Ghalieh Mahi, squares of wild salmon filet in a cilantro tamarind sauce; and the Koufteh-Berenji, 2 large "meatballs" with walnuts in the center and floating in a liquid sauce. I had the Albaloo Polo, a rice dish with pistachios, sour cherries, and saffron on top of a delicious lamb shank (the meat literally fell off the bone). We went wild andSpecial Features:
- Soltan Banoo is awesome. LotssgsgDined on 1/20/2012Soltan Banoo is awesome. Lots of choices for vegetarians, amazing cuisine and friendly, accommodating service! One of my very favorite spots!Special Features:
- Soltan Banoo is a family-runOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/16/2012Soltan Banoo is a family-run restaurant that is truly one-of-a-kind. The food is excellent for both vegetarians and carnivores - truly a culinary adventure!Special Features:
- Great service, very flavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2011Great service, very flavorful food. Lots of vegetarian options (if you swing that way).Special Features:
- BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011Despite the good reviews I'd read, I found the entrees to be bland and the accompaniments did not compliment them. They need to work up some sauces or dips to bring cohesiveness to the food. The setting is unique, being an enclosed porch, but then again, it was pretty cold. I would not go back or recommend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2011The ambiance was nice. Service was very slow - it took at least 15 minutes to get water. There were 5 of us and we ordered appetizers, soup and different dinners and none of us were were impressed. This was very unusual since we love different ethnic foods. It was a disappointing experience.
- It's always an intimate setting.MirandaDined on 10/28/2011It's always an intimate setting. The lamb dishes are wonderful. Lunch prices are excellent.Special Features:
- My husband and I shared aPattDined on 10/26/2011My husband and I shared a meal with two very good friends. One had been to your restaurant before so he was helpful with our choices. Everything was perfect! The waitress was a delight and certainly efficient. We brought a "huge" bottle of special wine we'd been saving and she cheerfully took care of the corkage and pouring. We will definitely be seeing you again!Special Features:
- Good food and always niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2011Good food and always nice to find good for that easily made vegetarian. This is a very nice neighborhood restaurant that is relaxed and easy to enjoy. I've eaten there several times and always enjoy the food.Special Features:
- Unfortunate experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2011We were 4 people for dinner and were the first in the restaurant for Saturday evening. Unfortunately the waiter was not ready and looked like he didn't want to help us, like we bother him!! We inquired about the menu items and the waiter didn't couldn't explain what is in some of the dishes!! we ordered appetizers which was way over priced ,small quantity and tasteless!! the main food for everyone was very bland and had no flavor. Unfortunately it was not a restaurant I would recommend to anyone!!
- Chicken was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2011Chicken was excellent but I didn't find Persian cuisine to be too different from Green with a twist of Indian. Staff was very nice. Prices were good. Had a good time but not dying to go back.
- It is the perfect spot toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2011It is the perfect spot to hangout with friends and have yummy food!
- Nice place, great food, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011Nice place, great food, friendly atmosphere, will be back.Special Features:
- Exceptional Food/Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2011I just love this place. It is family owned, and the staff are very personable. The food is excellent with true Persian flavors.Special Features:
- This is a wonderful familyDineOBitesDined on 6/23/2011This is a wonderful family run restaurant. We've dined here numerous times and always have a good experience. All the dishes have been good, but nothing that has knocked our socks off. The coffee is the bomb!Special Features:
- If you're in a rush, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2011If you're in a rush, this may not be the best place for you...but the wait is TOTALLY worth it. It's a family owned restaurant, and the staff are just SO friendly & hard-working!! The food was AMAZING!!!!! I can't wait to go there again!Special Features: