550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.solonyc.com/
- Phone: 2128337800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: pending, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Kosher
- Executive Chef: Hok Chin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: 3 private dining rooms with plasma televisions, seating 20 people per room.
- Private Party Contact: Patricia Byrne 2128338128
A word from Solo
Mediterranean cuisine with an Asian rub.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great RestaurantLaurDined on 8/5/2013Enjoyed solo immensely. The service was great, the food delicious and the ambience lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2013I am an admitted foodie and don't keep kosher. My frequent experience with kosher restaurants is that they are expensive (unless, of course we are going for pizza or Chinese) and average on food, at best. I was surprised how good, creative and fresh the food was here. I would go back even without entertaining someone who keeps kosher and definitely would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Kosher RestaurantGregVIPDined on 7/10/2013I had a delicious meal here. Quite possibly the finest Kosher restaurant I have ever been to before.Special Features:
- not a worthwhile choiceMikePVIPDined on 7/9/2013food was mediocre and overpriced. menu said buffalo mozzarella ravioli ... really? asked mashgiach about it, he said they just call it that. service was awful - diner quality. noisy place with staff running around like mad. not what you expect at these prices. one person in our party waited 15 minutes after the others were served. runners hand you plates across the table and expect you to clear your plates. they bring you food and don't know who to serve it to. 3 out of the 4 fish ordered were overcooked. desserts were good.
- DisappointedLarryVIPDined on 6/21/2013We were regulars at the "old" Solo and came back for its new menu, but were disappointed. Limited menu, indifferent service and lukewarm food.
- Service was rushed. Food notKosherFoodieDined on 6/19/2013Service was rushed. Food not worth the price. Bechamel sauce was like paste.
- Great kosherRuposVIPDined on 6/5/2013If the e Eng requires a kosher restaurant, Solo gets the job done with great food. The wait staff could use some work, but it is clear they recognize they are catering to a crowd that has few other options. That said, the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spectacular food & servicesteveVIPDined on 5/8/2013I've eaten at Solo a number of times and I have never ever been disappointed. Great food, fantastic service. You can not go wrong here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2013Terrible experience. First, the service was pretty bad. We were given no bread, no water. Our waiter took our order and disappeared for the rest of the meal. The food was very average and the portions tiny. I ordered a $36 steak salad entree which was ridiculously small and had almost no steak.
- a tad expensive for lunch,BusinessDinerDined on 3/19/2013a tad expensive for lunch, but food quality was excellentSpecial Features:
- A good choiceDebraVIPDined on 3/5/2013Actually go to this restaurant because my friend works at Sony and Solo is located in their lobby. having said this, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in need of a kosher establishment, but also anyone who likes good food. The portions are HUGE and that is to be kept in mind when ordering as you can share alot of their dishes. The "duck pad thai" comes to mind regarding sharing - while it's not like any pad thai I have ever eaten, it is well worth ordering. And even when the place is packed and noisy and crazy with very few service people, you never have to wait long for good service. Pricey as well. But tends to be worth it.Special Features:
- Generaly its just ok but mainlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Generaly its just ok but mainly Too expensive for the level of food. Good Kosher not necessarily must be overly expensive. Restraunt is good but not good enough to charge what they do. $45 dsteak should be way better than what they served. $20 for tuna tartar appetizer is overpriced by all means , even for 5 star restraunts. (and this is not one...) Small wine selection. Not a place I will go back to.
- Good choice for a kosher nightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/23/2013Good choice for a kosher night out. The starters were all great, next time I might make a meal of appetizers!Special Features:
- Some of my friends raved thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2013Some of my friends raved that their dishes were unbelievable (prime rib was a big hit), but I thought the food was just okay. They overcharged us on our appetizers and we had to redo our check, but otherwise it was a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- The hipper sibling of TheRodHDined on 12/24/2012The hipper sibling of The Prime Grill, and still a standout, but the quality of the food, the professionalism of the servers, and the ambiance of the place have all diminished in the last couple of years.Special Features:
- Overpriced!AHRESQVIPDined on 12/20/2012Very expensive for what you get and it is not up to par with its non-kosher rivals.
- Food was amazing and serviceMoishDined on 12/6/2012Food was amazing and service was good. Manager was dour and not welcoming. Waitress could not combine two types of "sliders" into one dish, looks like this was not the first such request judging by the firm "no". Maybe, that needs a re-thinking!Special Features:
- excellent hamburger, expensiveNemoVIPDined on 12/5/2012excellent hamburger, expensive but probably worth it if kosher is a requirement.
- I would reccomend only becauseHungryGirlVIPDined on 8/14/2012I would reccomend only because overpriced sub-standard food seems the only type you can really get. It was just reasonable - salmon (in a less than stellar sauce). Decor is nice. Nothing notable.
- Food was great. I went withBroncoBuddhaDined on 5/8/2012Food was great. I went with a business associate who did not know the restaurant was Kosher and it made no difference to him. We were able to have a business discussion and the wait staff did not interrupt us. When we left, he said he would definitely come there again with others. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, but especially those who keep Kosher and who want to take out a non-Kosher crowd without making a big deal about the Kosher thing.
- Kosher. Open for Passover.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2012Kosher. Open for Passover. Very,very expensive. Food ok but definitely not great.
- OverpricedKManVIPDined on 4/9/2012Came here during Passover. Ridiculously expensive. There are much better and cheaper Kosher for Passover options.
- The service was quite outstandingakronnativeDined on 3/26/2012The service was quite outstanding I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a quiet but intriguing lunch destination.Special Features:
- Stuffy but nice diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/11/2012As this is a Kosher restaurant, this restaurant is quite fitting for that demographic. My customer insisted on dining at a Kosher restaurant. The food was pricey but above average. The overall tone was incredibly stuffy and there was an "air" within the room.The only waitress was incredibly arrogant for no reason.With that said, it was a nice dining restaurant for a "Kosher" restaurant.
- Great place when a KosherstetsonincVIPDined on 1/19/2012Great place when a Kosher menu is required/ otherwise I would pass
- Pretty basic food, a somewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/19/2012Pretty basic food, a somewhat confused staff...an unmemorable experience.
- Wonderful for business lunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2012Wonderful for business lunches when members of the group keep kosher. Those who do not will not notice the difference.Special Features:
- Love the food and service;Zorro47VIPDined on 12/29/2011Love the food and service; they just don't know how to serve wine in spite of the attractive wine listSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent and theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2011Food was excellent and the service was too. Attentive bartender with big sized drinks, served perfectly. Definitely will return and highly recommend.
- The Ultimate Kosher RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2011Quite pricey (dinner for two can run up to $150+), but food is absolutely superb. Service is well coordinated. Decor and environment was pleasant. Certainly a place to have a remarkable evening to celebrate an important event. One of the best kosher restaurant in North America.Special Features:
- As always the "tasting" menuMoishDined on 12/8/2011As always the "tasting" menu with wine pairing was superb!Special Features:
- The food is great, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/28/2011The food is great, the service is slow. But I think it's one of the best kosher restaurants in town.Special Features:
- Good food --- Overly priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2011Good food --- Overly priced. A steak at lunch for $68? I I understand that kosher meat may be more expensive -but- c'mon... I will not return...
- I love this restaurant andnomorecookingVIPDined on 9/21/2011I love this restaurant and have always had a good meal. The beef filet is tender and cooked exactly the way I like it. The potted chicken and rice is a favorite. The vegetables are yummy too. Service is unobtrusive but perfect.Special Features:
- Heaven on a plate.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2011It just gets better each time I visit. The food is exquisite, the lychee martini is a must have as well as the onion soup. Leave room for dessert!Special Features:
- Expensive, but the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2011Expensive, but the food and service are both very good, and the space is nice.
- terrific unbelievably tastyJeffVIPDined on 6/16/2011terrific unbelievably tasty food. Salads and soups off the charts. Large, attractive servingsSpecial Features:
- If you eat kosher, this isaaaaDined on 6/5/2011If you eat kosher, this is a great place. Prices are highSpecial Features:
- The food was all good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/6/2011The food was all good, but none if it was very interesting, and it was very expensive. Oh well. It did not live up to its reputation that afternoon.
- My dish, a chilean sea bassConcertgoersVIPDined on 5/3/2011My dish, a chilean sea bass cut into circles of "faux scallops" for this kosher restaurant, was barely passable. The fish was mealy in texture and bland. Other diners in our group said their dinners were "OK". I accept that kosher restaurants generally are more expensive than non-kosher ones, but this restaurant is grossly over-priced, as kosher restaurants go. It's very expensive, and the food is just mediocre.