128 Front St.
Bath, ME 04530Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solobistro.com/
- Phone: 2074433373x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday
Lunch: 11:30 - 2pm, Dinner: from 5:00pm
Live jazz every Friday from 6:30 to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Raymond Franklyn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: From party platters to full off site catering.
- Private Party Facilities: We can serve private parties either in the wine bar downstairs or, for larger parties, in the new dining room at 132 Front Street.
- Private Party Contact: Pia Neilson 207 443 2464x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 6:30pm to 9:30pm.
- Special Events: Private parties up to 35 people. No room charge for dinners.
A word from Solo Bistro
From the simple to the sophisticated, Solo Bistro serves up delicious dishes made from scratch, with an emphasis on fresh, local and organic ingredients. Winner of the Sante Magazine Innovative Culinary Hospitality Award and multiple Wine Spectator Awards of Excellence, Solo Bistro is a leader among the small but growing number of restaurants outside Portland that are attracting national attention to the culinary possiblities in the great state of Maine. We strive for quality in everything we do with food, wine, beer and spirits at Solo. Great food and drink served in a modern setting in historic Bath, Maine, home of the Maine Maritime Museum.Continued
World class cuisine in the City of Ships!
World class cuisine in the City of Ships!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Solo Bistro - Best Restaurants in Bath ›
Solo Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (60)notable wine list (32)romantic (29)great for lunch (26)great for brunch (23)good for groups (12)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Uneven, underseasonedPuffandSpotDined on 8/29/2014This is a pleasant restaurant. It is also unpredictable. Swordfish was good, also crab cakes. But an adventuresome "Caesar" had less character than a chain restaurant salad made with bottled dressing. In short, it was almost tasteless. Likewise the lobster dish, which was expensive, especially given the cheapness of lobster right now, and was never more than a collection of greens and chewy lobster, with sad little dabs of chipotle sauce. More chipotle please! Is it that this restaurant's mostly older clientele is afraid of spicy, even on the side? I doubt it, since the same demographic is packing Tao in Brunswick. Best to stick to the basics here and avoid the "fancy" dishes.
- DisappointingJoanDined on 8/26/2014Have always heard good things about Solo Bistro and was looking forward to it but was ultimately disappointed. The air conditioning was too cold so it wasn't that comfortable, and while the waitress we had was delightful, the woman pouring our water was crabby and unresponsive, which set the tone upon our arrival. The special drink was very good. The menu is severely limited for vegetarians, unfortunately, and the one vegetarian entree (mushroom and bean cassoulet) was exceedingly bland and had very few mushrooms in it. If you aren't vegetarian you will likely have a totally different experience since the menu looked good for meat eaters. A savory rosemary cookie that accompanied the creme brule was interesting and delicious.
- Our GO TO resturant.lumpyDined on 8/23/2014Anniverseries, birthdays, graduations, any special occasion---it must be Solo Bistro. A spure of the moment treat truly becomes special when it is at Solo Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this Place!Kar3nDined on 8/22/2014We had eaten here on 3 occasions while on vacation. Each time the food has gotten better. I wish they would serve a dinner salad with the meal because $9 is far too expensive for a side salad. I enjoy seafood and my husband, steaks. We both find the presentation marvelous. The main dinning room is quite noisy and for a more quiet different experience, try downstairs where the bar is located. Be sure to make reservations as this place gets very busy. Lovely little bistro in Bath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014The hanger steak was extremely tough in texture with a fairly bland brown sauce. The rosemary sea-salt fried potatoes had very little flavor (couldn't detect rosemary at all). The meal, in general, was lacking in flavor and the use of spices in order to complement or bring out the flavor of each dish. My date enjoyed her meal and the twin filets of beef were very tender. Great service with an abundant and attentive staff! Wonderful live jazz! The music was better than the meal, in my opinion.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Find in MaineStaycationerDined on 8/21/2014Used to a variety of pretty good restaurants in the DC area, I really didn't expect this. Based on a recommendation from a local resident in Orr's Island, we found an amazingly terrific restaurant in Bath, Maine. I can't recommend it more highly. EVerything we had was superb!! The service was impeccable and we were seated in a quiet corner, as we requested! You can't go wrong. The prices were reasonable for both the food and the wine.Special Features:
- Great food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014Rivals any big city Bistro in food, wine, and ambiance. Be sure to reserve ahead...at least during summer season. Great with special diets like gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food nice peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014Solo cafe rivals any big city bistro. Great food...fair priced wine....attentive to details....all by friendly staff. Very attentive to food allergies...in our case gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usual!Alex13DogGDined on 8/16/2014Once again, Solo Bistro showed why it's truly the Gem of the Mid-Coast. Amazing lamb chops, a terrific salmon, and a creative cod piccata. Beet gelato? Crazy good! A hip, chic place for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic place!NOTTravisDined on 8/15/2014My wife wanted to go to Solo Bistro for her birthday. Knowing that they had live jazz that night, we asked to be seated in a different part of the restaurant (we're not jazz fans). They first were going to accommodate us by seating us downstairs by the bar, but when we arrived, we were notified that there was a party of 10 down there with several kids, and that we might be happier upstairs. It was very thoughtful. Of course, the food was fantastic, as was the service. I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:
- The best in Bath!BigGDined on 8/12/2014The best in the Brunswick/Bath area but there is little real competition since Clementines closed. VERY NOISY!..The chef tends to get overly creative. My swordfish brochettes were excellent but with too much garbage. The oxtail spring rolls were awful..Mussels were good. Wine prices have made a major jump since last year. Try the Sancerre..Special Features:
- Soho meets BathCBAKESDined on 8/12/2014Solo Bistro is a hip, little gem on the main drag in Bath, ME. I've been a few times for lunch, and they never disappoint. If you're a "foodie", you'll like the menu. Everything from great fish tacos to a wonderful flatbread creation. Everything made with fresh ingredients. The atmosphere is inviting...decor is modern yet warm...Modern Maine. I highly recommend Solo Bistro if you're passing through Bath.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary food in Bathruthr2Dined on 8/10/2014Solo Bistro is a great find. I have had lunch and dinner there, and both were excellent. For lunch I had a lovely salad with perfectly cooked tuna with a wonderful Provencal salsa on top. For dinner I had marvelous raw oysters from South Bristol and a very tasty and filling vegetarian cassoulet with wild mushrooms. Cocktails are very interesting, and the wine list is quite extensive. The service was polite and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as alwaysReetieDined on 8/8/2014Jazz night was the best way to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I was concerned that we would not get seated in the music room through Open Table, but by leaving a note with my reservation request, we were seated front and center for a great evening of music and food. Our waitress was great as was the whole staff, which appear to work as a team to take care of all customers. We never at all felt rushed from course to course. Local ingredients prepared creatively, Solo Bistro is a hidden gem .Special Features:
- Congratulations on new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014The new menu was very interesting. Soup was smooth and tasty. We selected two seafood dishes and both were excellent -- generous portions, very interesting preparations, delicious veggies. We can always count on Solo Bistro having unique entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise in BathDocJDDined on 8/8/2014I had no advanced information about Solo Bistro. I saw an add in a local paper. Tried to make a reservation only to discover the place was booked solid. This aroused my interest. Finally got a reservation and was astonished by the quality of the food prep, and the originality of the dishes. I had a cold cucumber vichyssoise that was extraordinary, and a broiled salmon dish with a most unique sauce and vegetable chutney. My wife had crab cakes with a unique aioli. Our waitress was superb. All in all a great dining experience. We will go back and sit in the dinning room where a singer entertains during the meal. And this place is open year round!Special Features:
- Fantastic!mesmDined on 8/8/2014Solo Bistro never fails! The menu had just changed the night we were there and it was amazing...as always. By far, it's the best restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedcaprellaDined on 8/5/2014We've been here many times and look forward to coming back. The atmosphere is a bit stark (we prefer cozy), but who cares when the food is fabulous? We were by the busy food prep area, but it did matter because the meal was outstanding, perfect blend of textures and flavors. We eat out a lot. This was one of the best meals we've had anywhere. On our way out we convinced another couple to go in. Hope they enjoyed it as much as we did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningRwhatweeatDined on 8/3/2014Made reservations based on trip advisor reviews. Did not disappoint. Interior airy and modern. Waitstaff exceptional. Food interesting and flavorful. Hubby and I on a short trip to Bath area-would highly recommend if you're in that neck of the woods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising a lot. Delivering lessRHRNYVIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant has high aspirations, but can't deliver what it promises. Some dishes are good, most are quite ordinary. It's made worse by the kitchen's inability to produce dishes in a coherent manner - with the waitstaff perched in front of the kitchen, and lots of customers wondering why their food hasn't come. The wine list is eclectic but not interesting. It's scattered and unfocused. They seem to be saying "I bet you've never heard of THIS one!" Two of the most interesting wines on the list were unavailable. What's more, the shorter wine list doesn't list vintages "because they change so often???" Solo Bistro could do a lot more by trying a little less.
- Wonderful as alwaysJamieDined on 8/1/2014Solo Bistro never fails to impress me! Wonderful service, flawless food great atmosphere. Keeps me coming back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and sophisticatedcmole2Dined on 7/30/2014The appealing cool, contemporary decor of Solo Bistro is a nice foil for the sophisticated versions of comfort food served here. Tomato soup is punched up with red pepper; grilled salmon flavored with miso and sake is served atop a bed of perfectly smashed potatoes; and the brownie is rum raisin, not chocolate, and perfect. The chef produces these dishes and more from a very small, but efficient kitchen. Kudos to all involved.Special Features:
- We always enjoy Solo Bistro!livewelleverydayDined on 7/28/2014Solo Bistro is our Go To restaurant whenever we have something to celebrate, or just need a little break to relax and feel pampered. The food is great, and just gets better. I like the emphasis on farm to table, and the interesting flavor combinations. The service is impeccable, very professional and warm. It's always a pleasure to watch the kitchen from our favorite table, and enjoy the modern, bustling vibe. Thank you so much for creating a lovely spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchArtisan2Dined on 7/27/2014Our first experience at Solo Bistro and won't be the last. The menu has a nice variety with lots of 'want to try' dishes. The waitress was informative and bubbly.Special Features:
- Great spot in Bathsunny82285Dined on 7/26/2014what a special treat in Bath- this place rocks. the duck was to die for, the chocolate mousse dessert was heavenly. the service, ambiance, menu and cocktail/wine lists were definitely fit-for-foodies. would go back in a second!Special Features:
- gus1Dined on 7/25/2014We were here a few weeks ago and had a good meal and fine service. This time both were lacking.
- A surprising, delightful eveningMikeSVIPDined on 7/25/2014This was our second visit to Solo. The food here is wonderful, inventive, flavorful. I had a bluefish special that was unlike any bluefish dish I have previously had -- delicate flavor, wonderful sauce, absolutely first-rate. The accompanying jazz (a vocalist and guitarist) was perfect with dinner, and made an enjoyable evening even more so. We will continue to patronize this wonderful restaurant on every visit to this area of the Maine coast.Special Features:
- A treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We spend time in Maine in the summer and one of the things we look farward to is a meal at Bistro. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Special occasion treatfoodfunDined on 7/18/2014My wife and I always look forward to dining at Solo Bistro and we are never disappointed. The food is excellent with very nice presentation. The service is friendly and attentive. the offerings are always unique and creative. We very much enjoy the use of local foodsSpecial Features:
- Best meal of the yearMmscottDined on 7/18/2014We return to Bath every year for one night and make a special point to eat here. It's consistently good. The food is incredible. A great great place. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful eveningKathleenDined on 7/17/2014We met some old friends who were visiting in Maine and went to Solo Bistro for dinner. The food was superb. The service was perfect. We talked and talked over dinner. We were the last to leave the restaurant and the staff very discreetly was closing for the evening without ever interrupting our after dinner conversation.Special Features:
- Great dining in BathFormerNativeDined on 7/17/2014Many of our friends have driven long distance to dine here, and we are so lucky to have it nearby! Lovely setting, locavore flavor, and good shops to walk around and browse in afterwards. Also near the Kennebec river park in Bath, for a further stroll. Highly recommend for people heading up the coast. Just off route 1.Special Features:
- Lunch for four1pickycookDined on 7/16/2014I used to enjoy your lunches more a few years ago. I like the ambience, your staff is very present and knowledgeable, you have a good wine list. But the lunch menu is lacking: first of all, any lunch menu needs very good bread--a French baguette or Italian crusty peasant. A dish of moules frites without good bread is unthinkable. Your sandwiches should be more down to earth, served on good sandwich bread: this time my skimpy sautéed salmon came on a kind of dinner roll, of which one half was coated with an undistinguished sauce. I get the impression, that in your kitchen sugar takes the place of good seasoning and fresh herbs. We were a table of four, and we all objected to skimpy servings with the above mentioned shortcomings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniquecpettengillVIPDined on 7/15/2014With a Swedish-style decor--colorful and simple--and fresh, delicious food, this was a surprising find for Bath, Maine. We stayed at the 1774 Inn in Phippsburg and the proprietors recommended it as a contrast to the ubiquitous fried seafood restaurants and lobster rolls. They were right! There is a great wine list and good variety, from fish to vegan entrees. There is a wine bar on the lower level. We were pleasantly surprised and would definitely return here in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMainedinerDined on 7/13/2014We rent a cottage on Popham Beach and by dat four we're looking for alternatives to lobster and seafood. Solo Bistro more than fit the bill. Went with my aunt who frequents the best restaurants in NYC (ie, Del Posto) and she said Solo Bistro was absolutely wonderful. We had lunch the day before at Eventide in Portland. Beautifully presented halibut special for mr, duck for her. Wonderful cheese plate with local cheeses including one made by our delightful serverSpecial Features:
- Always finedinersDined on 7/13/2014Solo Bistro has never disappointed, is comfortable, pleasant atmosphere, and very good food.Special Features:
- Delicious!JJJohnDined on 7/12/2014We had wonderful food and friendly service. The special request was granted. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Solo Should Stay Solo-DisappointingBJFoodieDined on 7/11/2014After having heard reports about the gourmet cuisine in of all places, Bath, Maine, we decided to book a dinner for a Tuesday night when it would not be expected to be overly crowded. It was obvious that neither the kitchen nor the wait staff could handle a full house. After being seated we ordered appetizers, entrees and a bottle of Malbec. The salads came out within a reasonable period of time. Then we waited, and waited and waited while our server was watching our table and others while we watched the servers running from kitchen to basement. After 50 minutes, we flagged down our waitress and asked about the delay. She confirmed our suspicions-they couldn't handle the volume. Needless to say, we will not go back.
- every bite a delightonehungrycaterpillarDined on 7/11/2014My husband & I have found that Solo Bistro never disappoints. My dish was specially created for me by the chef and was so delicious that I ate it very slowly, to make it last as long as absolutely possible. The artichoke lent a unique flavor to the other ingredients that raised the level of the entire experience another notch. Our wait staff was attentive and added a personal message to our dessert- a "Happy Anniversary" message written in elegant script right on the serving plate- a lovely touch! My husband said his meal was fabulous, and his chocolate mousse the best he'd ever had. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveahquaDined on 7/9/2014This was a last minute recommendation. The food was excellent and the waitstaff attentive. Just remember that Bath rolls up it's streets early on the weeknights so I don't recommend any arrival past 8pmSpecial Features: