Solera - Minneapolis
900 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solera - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solera-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 6123380062
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 6-days a week 5:00pm - 10:00pm CLOSED Mondays Bar: Sunday - Thursday until 12:00am; Friday and Saturday until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jorge Guzman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Solera - Minneapolis
Featuring an evocative menu, authentically embracing the cuisine of Spain, Solera offers an unparalleled experiance for social dining in a vibrant, Spanish-influenced atmosphere. In addition to spectacular dinner, dessert and late night menus, guests enjoy an extensive Spanish wine list, organized by region, expertly crafted cocktails and signature sangrias. Solera offers several inside dining spaces including a lounge area, main and private dining rooms, and a tapas bar, along with outdoor patio dining on street level, a private veranda dining space on the second floor and a lively rooftop bar. Fresh menu selections, seafood, house-prepared charcuterie and Spanish cheeses are all served with exceptional, personalized service, right in the heart of the Hennepin Theater district. PLEASE NOTE: The bar, lounge, tapas bar, patio and roof are all seated on a first come, first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solera - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (37)romantic (32)good for groups (25)great for outdoor dining (23)notable wine list (22)hot spot (16)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (10)scenic view (10)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent pre-show diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Solera is a great place for a romantic dinner before a show at one of the Hennepin Ave theatres (it's right next to the Orpheum). The small plate Spanish "tapas" menu is innovative and ever-changing (except for the patatas bravas, which have stood the test of time - delicious!). You can easily adjust the amount of food that you order to suit your apetite by ordering more or fewer tapas (like you can when eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant, for example). We've had an exceptional dining exerience every time we've eaten there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Server Makes a DifferenceAparsDined on 8/27/2014This was our second time dining at Solera, and sadly not as good as the first time. The food server was excellent the first time- with knowledge and enthusiasm of the wine list and menu. This last time, our server did not speak to us much and we did not have time to eat the dessert we ordered and for which we paid. We thought an hour and a half would be enough time to have dinner before catching a show next door. Of course, our server could have asked if we had plans to go to the show that night. Our server the first time did ask.Special Features:
- DownhillStacyDined on 8/27/2014I used to be a big fan of Solera, however, the rooftop is no longer very nice compared to others downtown, the food was mediocre, and the service was fair at best. Probably won't go back and no longer would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- my favoriteNicFitDined on 8/23/2014Solera is one of my favorite places in Minneapolis, especially for special occasions. The Spanish wine list is phenomenal, I would recommend the AN/2 highly, and the food is so fun and unique is hard to not have a wonderful meal here. Finish with a glass of the cream sherry and you will sleep like as very well fed babySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Pre-Show Dinner!mikie376VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, service and ambience were outstanding for our dinner at Solera before Book of Mormon on Saturday! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the tapasAudyGodwechDined on 8/21/2014Got the beef heart, croquettas, rabbit and more! It was delicious! Churros were very authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and funLadiesDined on 8/20/2014This is perfect spot for pre theater dinning. Our server was very professional and knowledgeble of the menu and wine list. She didn't bat an eye when 10 women asked for seperate checks. The water and bread baskets were kept full. The people watching was so much fun from our sidwalk table on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Satisfying tapas with flair!FoodieSuzyDined on 8/17/2014The reviews that panned the service were so far off of our experience as to be laughable! We had an amiable and attentive server who really knew the menu and ingredients, and did a wonderful job of suggesting plates that were compliments to one another. I have lived in Spain, and found a couple of old favorites at Solera. Great escargot and I loved the croquettes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable FoodDinerDined on 8/15/2014We returned to Solera specifically for their delicious bacon wrapped dates. They were as good as we remembered them!Special Features:
- Great Experiencetime2dineDined on 8/10/2014Though a bit noisy and dark, Solera provided a first rate evening. The menu options were varied and excellent and we sampled many dishes. The service was professional and unhurried; there when needed and not when not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasSlpdinerDined on 8/2/2014Delicious Spanish inspired food, small plates to share. The cheese plate features a blue cheese that melts in your mouth! Variety of sangrias. Better to be seated in the rear of the restaurant, quieter and more intimate. The service is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCartney Concert NightFrenziedDined on 8/2/2014I think it was a bad night for Solera. Understaffed? We should have known something was amiss when the hostess mumbled something, grabbed 2 menus and took off walking. She turned around at some point and said "I'm not ready for you yet - just taking these menus back to the bar." Then, we saw and heard the manager at 2 tables near us making apologies. One because they had been there 20 minutes with no server contact at all. Another because their main tapas (entree) order had been lost in the kitchen and they were not going to have time to eat it before leaving. We ended up skipping the main dish because the order got lost. Our server disappeared for 20 minutes. They did take the cost of one tapas off the bill. Food we had was good!Special Features:
- Don't go here!SuzfoodzDined on 8/2/2014We had terrible service, the menu you was limited and we didn't understand most of the items. It took 10 minutes for someone to finally come over take our drink choice. Then it took another 20 minutes to get them. It took 45 minutes to finally get our food. We ended up canceling our last items we ordered because we had to make it to a concert. Wouldn't you think 2 hours is enough time to plan for dinner?
- Solera with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Solera is a great place to enjoy a wonderful tapas meal with friends. Great food and service!Special Features:
- not the same menu on rooftopOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014It was a perfect Minneapolis summer night, so we decided to sit on the rooftop instead of the dining room, but we were unaware the menus are not the same, the rooftop has a seperate kitchen, food choices were poor and what a dissapointment, I could not wait long enough to get the check and leave. I also wish rooftop patios would ban smoking, hard to enjoy anything when people are lighting up all aroundyou. Gross!!
- Still fantastic Tapas!BobtheFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Had not been back to Solera for a while, but even though it has changed Chefs, the quality was still superb and very inventive. We had about 6 courses and they were all incredibly good. In addition to the great items they have on the Menu now, we are also hoping that they bring back at least one of the perennial favorites from the past, their Mushroom tapa. Anybody familiar with Solera will know exactly which one I mean. We will be back again...and again. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014My wife and I went on a Thursday night before a concert at First Ave. Sat inside to take advantage of the full menu. Although the rooftop seating was appealing, the menu was limited. Everything was on point. The bacon wrapped dates are not to be missed. The service was perfect with our waiter guiding and pacing us through 5 different tapas with perfection. The only criticism I have is the weird lighting and dark interior. Overall, the dark walls and seating colors make you feel like you're in a cave. But, you also might have a ceiling spotlight right in your face giving the feeling of "the third degree" I would definitely go back because the service and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday outingOutOfTheKitchenDined on 7/17/2014I'd never been to Solera before, and was hoping to sit on the rooftop. When we realized that the rooftop menu had fewer food choices, we opted for sitting in the open floor-to-ceiling window area. It was a lovely, mild night, so that was the perfect choice. The rush-hour traffic was entertaining, and eventually slowed to a trickle. Our server was excellent - knowledgeable about all the drink ingredients and about the wines; we followed his drinks and food suggestions several times and were not disappointed once. Loved the complimentary birthday dessert, too! We'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance!ResaDined on 7/5/2014Finally! A restaurant where my dinner party does not have to yell across the table at each other to be heard! I loved the ambiance of Solera! The seating was very comfortable especially with the cushions on the backs of the booths. The lighting was romantic and the colors were soothing. The presentation of the food was appealing, and every dish I tried was delightful.Special Features:
- FoodiesDined on 7/1/2014One of the best Paella ever. We had mussels and patata bravas which were delicious. Our server w as extremely friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solera in the summerUptownfeverDined on 6/27/2014We went to Solera for a friends bachelorette party. We were able to get great seating on the roof- fun outdoor space, but the tapas were a bit pricy and for such small quantities of food. We walked away hungry. The drinks are great! Go for drinks- don't stay for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for GroupsFriendlyFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Nothing negative about this place, went with a group of 6. Had an excellent time the staff was kind and gave great suggestions. Returned a few weeks for movie night with another couple, yet again outstanding service and food good. My only complaint was the oysters were not shucked and they were a bit dirty. Had more than trace amounts of sand. Only thing to note some menu favorites might not be available on the rooftop, but the dates are! I wouldn't order the oysters again but everything else was superb!Special Features:
- Different menu for rooftop diningdowntowndiner54Dined on 6/21/2014The hostess offered us rooftop dining, it was a beautiful evening, so we said 'why not?'. What we later learned, was that the menu was completely different than what was in the restaurant... and left us feeling very disappointed. The entrees on the rooftop just weren't very good. We wound up having a couple, but left to dine across the street.Special Features:
- Excellent Pre-Show Dinner Spot!mikie376VIPDined on 6/21/2014We had 10 or 12 different Tapas dishes for 4 people. We all enjoyed every one! Wonderful flavors, smells & tastes! And just the right amount of food, so that we weren't going to the Theatre stuffed. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- quick, attentive service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014Service was excellent, we were seeing a play and only had about 45 minutes to dine, the server made it happen for us. The food was unique and delicious! The bar was louder than I've experienced before, great for groups, but not for a date probably.Special Features:
- Soleragzlg123Dined on 6/15/2014This was my second time going to Solera - my friend suggested we go for their rooftop movie night. We ate downstairs outside on their patio as the indoor seating is a little bit too dark. We shared a pitcher of sangria and a few tapas. They were delicious albeit maybe not the best value. Since it was a Sunday night, it wasn't too crowded, so we could relax, eat slowly, talk, and listen to the music coming from across the street. It was a fun Sunday night! Also, our server, Meghan was attentive and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceActout99Dined on 6/13/2014Michelle was our server, and it was our first time at Solera and she was so patient and had wonderful suggestions! She explained everything to us in layman terms and challenged us to try different things and was very conscious of my seafood allergies in her recommendations. What a treasure she is and a great asset to your restaurant. The food was fantastic, but we would come back just to have her wait on us again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre serviceJessDined on 6/12/2014We enjoyed the mussels, cheese plate (although small), dates, and several other dishes. Service was lacking though; several times we wondered if our waitress had simply disappeared...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwkwardFinedinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014The wait staff was having some sort if argument by our table making us privy to the awkwardness. Once the waiter literally dropped a plate on our table and walked away without describing it. If the food was good I might have overlooked the staff. Can't say that. Good sangrias though! Would maybe visit just the bar or rooftop.Special Features:
- A bit fancy: A bit loudMoragDined on 6/12/2014So I went here because of the outside dining and took seats on the sidewalk. The sidewalk seating doesn't get late afternoon sun, but it is nice enough if the day is warm. There roof top seating too, but the menu is very limited there. Service was friendly without being obsequious, and prompt without being harassing. So high marks for service. I didn't find much on the menu that suited my tastes, but the food I ordered was well prepared and of high quality. If you like the kinds of food on the menu, I'm guessing you'd be pretty happy. If you sit inside, be prepared for noisy. It's a buzzing place, good for a noisy celebratory mood, less so for an intimate conversation.
- Good food but...DynaiamDined on 6/11/2014Our service was terrible we were seated and took forever to get waited on and when our guests arrived they waited a long time before getting served. This place was not packed by any means early in the evening 6:00pm so it was hard to understand why such poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent choiceTotioDined on 6/7/2014We had wonderful tapas prior to symphony--esp nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!EmfdvmDined on 6/6/2014This is the 3rd or 4th time we've gone to Solera and it's always good. The new summer menu has some fine additions (we loved the smoked beef heart slider and the potato salad with fried quinoa in particular). The requested outdoor seating, thinking we'd be on the roof, but that has a different menu, so we were just street side. That is not awesome. Lots of traffic and the bar across the street- just not very special. But everything else is great. We love the wine and sangria selections.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014i ordered the prawns for $13 and it came out as 3 little shrimp on a skewer. rip off. the quantity should be labeled on the menu. also should have more options for the rooftop menu.Special Features:
- Great for a special night outGenericNicknameDined on 5/31/2014I took my girlfriend here for a special night out to celebrate. I can't praise the service enough, our server was very knowledgeable of the food and drinks. Neither of us had dined at a spanish restaurant before so he was very helpful in suggesting things based on our tastes. The food was excellent and presented beautifully. My only real criticism is that there was no indication of what was gluten free on the menu. Our server was able to tell us, but you can't always rely on servers to know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014We had such a great experience. The family style meal was perfect for our group of 9, and the plates arriving at different times allowed for breaks for conversation.Special Features:
- FINEDININGFANATICVIPDined on 5/24/2014The Executive Chef Jorge is just amazing. Such a nice guy and such a master of culinary art. The food at this restaurant is unique and you wont find Spanish food like this anywhere else. It is the best place for Tapas, the setting is very romantic and its also great for groups. Service is top notch, Its right in the heart of downtown so you can grab dinner and go someplace else after. They also have a nice sized patio. Best dishes to try The Prawns Rabbit Croquettes Mussels (yum) The Paeas are great too. They have the BEST sangrias, try the Solera Signature Sangria. Valet available as well. I have been there probably 30 times so far and every time they surprise me with a great new menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014Innovative and tasty cuisine. Service was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outBabsDined on 5/20/2014I would definitely recommend Solera upstairs on the roof with the spectacular view, at the start or end, then go for dinner downstairs either on the street or by the fireplace. The tapas were amazing and the wine list was quite varietal. You really felt the flair of Spain going on. We were in Minneapolis from Southport N.C. for a friends meetings, it top our last night off...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, poor serviceClarabrundoDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I recently went to Solera to celebrate my birthday. We had specifically requested their best table/ or most romantic table and we were seated in the back. The ambiance was not as romantic in the back room as the front and felt more like a diner. The service was the most disappointing part of our experience. They seemed under staffed- our waitress was not only tending all the tables in the back, but tables in the front. We felt forgotten most of the night and even ordered some tapas that we never got. The food on the other hand-the Vegetable Paella, was amazing!! If you are wanting to do tapas style however the plates are super small, yet expensive so make sure to come ready to spend money or eat before hand!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.