Solera - Minneapolis
900 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solera - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solera-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (612) 338-0062
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 6-days a week 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Sundays 10:00am - 2:00pm
Bar: Sunday - Thursday until 12:00am; Friday and Saturday until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Marc Dresel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Solera - Minneapolis
Featuring an evocative menu, authentically embracing the cuisine of Spain, Solera offers an unparalleled experiance for social dining in a vibrant, Spanish-influenced atmosphere. In addition to spectacular dinner, dessert and late night menus, guests enjoy an extensive Spanish wine list, organized by region, expertly crafted cocktails and signature sangrias. Solera offers several inside dining spaces including a lounge area, main and private dining rooms, along with outdoor patio dining on street level, a private veranda dining space on the second floor and a lively rooftop bar. Fresh menu selections, seafood, house-prepared charcuterie and Spanish cheeses are all served with exceptional, personalized service, right in the heart of the Hennepin Theater district. PLEASE NOTE: The bar, lounge, patio and rooftop are all seated on a first come, first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solera - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (41)good for groups (40)romantic (37)notable wine list (30)hot spot (29)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)Show More
- One of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014I love this place. It has become one of my favorites. I love the tapas. It gives me a chance to try all kinds of new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional cuisine, service and atmosphere.LisaFDined on 11/15/2014Server was patient and attentive, and offered helpful suggestions (and wine pairings) as we worked our way through the menu. Food was exceptional: Our group of four sampled 10 tapas offerings and the meat/seafood paella. Dishes were complex yet complementary in terms of ingredients, textures and flavors. Preparations were bright and simple. Perfect format and locale for a group night out or romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!JerriDined on 11/14/2014We came for dinner and came back for dessert after our show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience, would dine againEhrykDined on 11/13/2014Had a great time, the waiter was fun and knew all this history behind the items, how they were made and suggested things to try. The Iberico ham was to die for, and bacon wrapped dates were ultra delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunch!MNpilotDined on 11/9/2014Took some out of town guests to Solera for Brunch last Sunday. Food was fantastic and the service was outstanding. Would highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidAMDDCT44Dined on 11/8/2014Fun atmosphere and the food was really excellent, good variety of tapas and 3 dishes plus dessert left us feeling very satisfie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella was grosschrise101Dined on 11/7/2014Service was friendly and the atmosphere was nice. However, the paella we ordered was terrible. Some of the rice wasn't completely cooked and some of it was nothing but sticky mush. Very strange meal.
- amesgirlDined on 11/7/2014Decided on Solera before the Garth Brooks concert as the small plates concept seemed like we could control both how much and how much time we could take. Very pleased with everything we ordered and nothing was so heavy we would feel like "food coma" had set in bepfre the concert. Very enjoyable in the time we had....we would go back with friends or for a longer evening. It's a great option in the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT Mexican!SmallPlates&SlowServiceKelseyDined on 11/6/2014First - the only thing Mexican about this place is the fact that the items on the menu are typed in Latin. Next, we had 6:15 reservations, were promptly seated, but it wasn't until 6:40 that someone even asked what I'd like to drink. What's the point of a reservation if I'm not getting served? To make the matter worse, our waitress was really busy - so a waiter came over, acknowledged that we've been waiting for a long time & tried to help us - but then was rudely interrupted by the waitress, who said she could handle it herself! 15 minutes later she "handled it" with the drink order. Then she forgot to order the scallops. Don't get me wrong, the food & drinks were great, once we got them. The service & attitudes could use some help.Special Features:
- Tapas PerfectPugliadiner1Dined on 11/6/2014This was our first time at Solera, and the dining experience was superb. The food was excellent in preparation and presentation, and the prices were reasonable. This is the perfect place for sharing food. All plates are small, but 2 or 3 per person, with an appetizer, will fill most people up. We are very fussy about restaurants and we definitely will return to Solera. The main area is fairly noisy, but there is a quiet area in the back for those who prefer to converse in low tones. Don't miss Solera! It is fun.Special Features:
- goodfoodDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant's quality has gone down a lot. Everything was ok, but the food was of low quality and poorly prepared. It was not worth my trip to Minneapolis.
- Great foodJudySDined on 11/1/2014We always go to Solera before shows and concerts downtown. If there are just two of us, we love sitting at the bar, very attentive service. If we have four we get a table. First thing we order is the meat charcuterie, lovely collection of meats, olives, cucumbers etc. served with delicious flatbread crackers. We also love the dates wrapped in bacon, the brussel sprouts, the potatoes, we have never been disappointed by anything we have ordered. This past time we tried the meat and shellfish paella. It was wonderful and even with four of us, we had leftovers. Try lots of things and share them, they are all wonderful.Special Features:
- DisappointedOut2lunchDined on 10/24/2014This restaurant has (had?) a great reputation. Never been to it because it was so hard to get a reservation. My first clue should have been how easy it was to get a last minute reservation! We ordered the paella with wild and domestic game. Sounded exotic and we filled the time with decent drinks and appetizers. Essentially, what we were served was a large pile of rice-not very flavorful- with chunks of meat that even the waiter could not identify. Our service was rushed at first and then improved as meal progressed. There's an early crowd that clears out by 8 pm and then you have the place and your waiter nearly to yourself! With so many good restaurants in Uptown and downtown, I'd suggest skipping this one altogether.
- Great!MarcelaDined on 10/16/2014We had croquetas, scallops and shrimp tapas. It was delicious!! A glass of sangria was perfect for me. I am looking forward to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quirkymrk69Dined on 10/14/2014The experience was best described as quirky from the condescending waiter to the food combinations. Not what we were looking for or expected.
- Great and fun foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014The service was great. We went before a show at the Orpheum, which is right next door. The wait staff was great to suggest food options for the time we had, and let us know when we should head over to the play. The food is alway great. A lot of unique items to choose from that all have great flavors!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solera Continues to Wow!mikie376VIPDined on 10/11/2014A new Chef took over two weeks ago and has put his own spin on a number of Solera's classic tapas, and added 10-12 new ones. Every dish we had was spectacular! Literally, SPECTACULAR! I highly recommend Solera!Special Features:
- Very fine cuisine, great serviceTedoreviewsDined on 10/10/2014I was most impressed with our server at Solera. He was attentive but not irritating, and knew the menu well so that he could offer wise suggestions. The food is very well prepared; their cook is outstanding. I had the bloody pork (blood sausage) and it was the best I've had. The ambiance is fairly lively around the bar but there is a more private section for parties that wish to have a less noisy dinner. It's also a great location, right downtown in the middle of the nightlife. I'd recommend for a date or small party. Price is $12-20 a plate.Special Features:
- Too loud to converse pleasurablyExperienceDined on 10/1/2014Food was good as well as service but noise level was impossible and restaurant was not even half full. I was there some years ago and found it too loud but returned to see if anything changed. It has not. Another couple there for the first time also said that it was much too loud--beyond lively or energetic. None of us will return or recommend it.
- Good Food - Poor ExecutionJohnSDined on 9/30/2014We've eaten at Solera before & enjoyed the experience... this time left much to be desired. Our reserv. for 4 people left an hour and a half before the show we were going to. We were seated (at a table too large for 4), our waitress arrived & asked if we had a show we were trying to make. We ordered our wine, placing our dinner order shortly after. We rcvd the bacon wrapped Dates after an appropriate time but then at least 30 min's passed before any of our other four plates showed up. By the time we left (about 10 min's to show time and we still had to walk 5 blocks) we hadn't received the final plate. Server certainly (or Mgr) should have said something. Too bad. Delicious food, but poor execution for the $. Won't be back.
- Very slow servicestrewzDined on 9/30/2014Drink orders were coming out very slow. More than 30 minutes to get our drinks. Some food was coming out quickly while other food seemed to take a long time as well. One of our dishes was missed completely. It seemed like they were short on wait staff. However, the food that we did get was really good.Special Features:
- Slow service and inconsistentBMcCabeDined on 9/30/2014Took 30 minutes to get our food order in. Waiter was not able to multitask as he went back to the kitchen or bar after each table visit. Food came out in stages (when ready). Tapas came out and wet good. Waited 35 minutes after food order was taken to receive first main plate. Person ate it before second one came out and cancelled 2 others in plates, because show was about to start.
- ErnieDined on 9/30/2014Food was great. Loved the beet salad and the goat cheese peppers. We had not been here before. The wait staff was so busy or overworked, that our server had no time to spend to tell us about much of anything. The first round of food came quickly, but when we ordered our larger plate it took approx. 1/2 hour. Also, server was so overworked that he had no time to even ask us if we wanted a second wine. We were late for our concert which started at 7:30 and we were there at 6pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable fine dining jointThatzDined on 9/19/2014I have been a solera fan for almost a decade now, never fails to meet my expectation. One of the best tapas place I have ever been, on par with what I have had in Barcelona or Madrid. Only difference is Solera is more on the modern fusion end of the tapas spectrum. I have been to Solera for romantic dinners, special occasions with family or friends and even the late night happy hours, and will keep going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bites for many tastesIOSBORNEDined on 9/19/2014If you're adventurous and fun, then you'll like this restaurant. The menu changes often so you will be able to try new things. If you're the standard boring MN Meat and Potatoes Norwegian, stick with thinking Olive Garden is splurging outside your comfort zone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downhillDiningexplorerDined on 9/19/2014Solera has sadly gone downhill. When we first visited it it was a true wonder. It featured cuisine inspired from Spanish and Mediterranean. The flavor and choices were exotic. Now on two of our dishes we ordered they presented us with slider with Spanish influenced flavors, which failed. Now not all their menu items are like this and some are indeed hold overs but time for a reality check, how do sliders belong in a Tapas bar?
- Highly recommended but just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014For an empty restaurant service was lackluster at best. Appetizers were very good. Paella was burned on the bottom and overcooked in general.
- Won't be back for another 12JeanVIPDined on 9/13/2014To be fair the last time I was at Solera was 12 years ago and I don't imagine I'll be back for another 12. The ambiance is still good The service is still good but the food is no longer innovative and it is absurdly expensive for the quality. I am disappointed because there are so many good places to eat in Minneapolis and we wasted an opportunity. What I would suggest is that you stop by before of after the theater or event, order a drink and have a tapas of your choice. That is where your investment of time and money should end.
- Tapas is topsTapasgoodDined on 9/12/2014I'll start by saying I love Tapas! Yes, it's expensive, but I love the idea that it's like having a bunch of appetizers rather than a "full" meal. The setting, the staff, the food, and the drinks were all great! We went at 7pm on a Saturday. Our server immediately asked us if we were going to the show. Book of Mormon was playing a few doors away. We assured her we were here for dinner and drinks and not in a hurry. My only complaint--and Solera can do nothing about this--is that the bathrooms are a bit of a journey. They're downstairs and a bit of a walk. Solera shares the building with other businesses so they can't be blamed for that situation. Consider this a "heads up" . This was my third time there, and I'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great for Theatre goersannbrVIPDined on 9/10/2014I really like this restaurant and forgot how much fun it is to go here before a show. Small plates are just the best for sharing and don't fill you up too much before you sit for a few hours. we had scallops, and the charcuterie with the chicken liver pate is outstanding! Also, bacon wrapped figs, and the goat cheese peppers. The waiters are always good here--great spot==glad we went!Special Features:
- Great experience!leslieDined on 9/10/2014I didn't know what to expect at a tapas restaurant & didn't realize that most choices were small plates. There were a few pasta and paella choices as main entrees but they were quite pricey so we stuck w/the tapas, which were excellent. We chose piquillo peppers stuffed w/goat cheese, scallops w/lentils, blue marlin crudo, & bistec w/piquillo glaze. All the dishes were excellent. My least favorite was the blue marlin crudo - a little too spicy for my taste. We followed dinner with dessert; I had the raspberry sorbet & it was delicious while my husband had the truffles. However, don't rely on the online menu if you're trying to decide on a dessert prior to going to the restaurant as it isn't up to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Happy HoursKatNDined on 9/10/2014Group of us met for HH and we enjoyed wine, $3.00 sangrias and great food. We had dates, patatas bravas, assorted cheeses, stuffed piquillo peppers (our fave) and other tidbits. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great dining pre theater612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great place for dinner pre theater, or any other day of the week (except monday). Small dishes are meant for sharing and a bite from a handful give you an excellent taste of many dishes. Charred beets and Octopus were 2 of the standouts. Great, unique wines and sherry highlight the alcohol list, as well as some interesting cocktails. Great service that will take care of you if you find yourself in a pickle. Warm, friendly environment. I feel like with all the new hot spots, solera has fallen behind in recent years, but it is still an awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish Fare & Atmosphere!FoxluvsfoodDined on 9/6/2014We decided to throw a small surprise party for my husband here because he loves Tapas. We reserved the private room which seats up to 11 people. The room was gorgeous with its' brick walls and beautifully modern, hand blown glass lighting. The Paella was authentic, the tapas were very tasty and, the staff was superb. They poured the champagne in perfect timing (per request) and presented a delicious chocolate cake, prepared by their pastry chef for the occasion. They were very accommodating and we had a wonderful experience. Thank You for a memorable evening, Solera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOutstandingDined on 9/5/2014We made a reservation online and it worked out perfectly to arrange a space where we could meet with our 5 adult children to share a meal and experience something new. Our waiter Matthew was outstanding, the food was amazing, we were all delighted with the food and service, and came away with a tremendous memory of our time shared together. It was a bit loud when we arrived... partly due to people trying to eat and leave quickly so they could get to a nearby show. Once that crowd diminished, we had a real opportunity to talk and hear one another. It was great!Special Features:
- NickyDined on 9/5/2014I seldom drink and I had two cocktails and felt very little effect from the a alcohol. Sea food was over cooked. Also we were given more food than we ordered and when we told them they didn't seem to care and charged us for those items. And you could not find any ham in the ham and cheese courgettes. I, m serious.
- Excellent pre-show diningElkinseconDined on 8/30/2014Solera is a great place for a romantic dinner before a show at one of the Hennepin Ave theatres (it's right next to the Orpheum). The small plate Spanish "tapas" menu is innovative and ever-changing (except for the patatas bravas, which have stood the test of time - delicious!). You can easily adjust the amount of food that you order to suit your apetite by ordering more or fewer tapas (like you can when eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant, for example). We've had an exceptional dining exerience every time we've eaten there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork and potatoes!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014loved the view. ate on the roof, fries and sangria are to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Server Makes a DifferenceAparsVIPDined on 8/27/2014This was our second time dining at Solera, and sadly not as good as the first time. The food server was excellent the first time- with knowledge and enthusiasm of the wine list and menu. This last time, our server did not speak to us much and we did not have time to eat the dessert we ordered and for which we paid. We thought an hour and a half would be enough time to have dinner before catching a show next door. Of course, our server could have asked if we had plans to go to the show that night. Our server the first time did ask.Special Features:
- DownhillStacyDined on 8/27/2014I used to be a big fan of Solera, however, the rooftop is no longer very nice compared to others downtown, the food was mediocre, and the service was fair at best. Probably won't go back and no longer would recommend to friends.Special Features: