Solera - Minneapolis
900 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solera - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solera-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 6123380062
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 6-days a week 5:00pm - 10:00pm CLOSED Mondays Bar: Sunday - Thursday until 12:00am; Friday and Saturday until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jorge Guzman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Solera - Minneapolis
Featuring an evocative menu, authentically embracing the cuisine of Spain, Solera offers an unparalleled experiance for social dining in a vibrant, Spanish-influenced atmosphere. In addition to spectacular dinner, dessert and late night menus, guests enjoy an extensive Spanish wine list, organized by region, expertly crafted cocktails and signature sangrias. Solera offers several inside dining spaces including a lounge area, main and private dining rooms, and a tapas bar, along with outdoor patio dining on street level, a private veranda dining space on the second floor and a lively rooftop bar. Fresh menu selections, seafood, house-prepared charcuterie and Spanish cheeses are all served with exceptional, personalized service, right in the heart of the Hennepin Theater district. PLEASE NOTE: The bar, lounge, tapas bar, patio and roof are all seated on a first come, first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solera - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (38)good for groups (33)romantic (32)hot spot (29)notable wine list (27)great for outdoor dining (20)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (10)neighborhood gem (9)scenic view (7)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014We had croquetas, scallops and shrimp tapas. It was delicious!! A glass of sangria was perfect for me. I am looking forward to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and fun foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014The service was great. We went before a show at the Orpheum, which is right next door. The wait staff was great to suggest food options for the time we had, and let us know when we should head over to the play. The food is alway great. A lot of unique items to choose from that all have great flavors!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solera Continues to Wow!mikie376VIPDined on 10/11/2014A new Chef took over two weeks ago and has put his own spin on a number of Solera's classic tapas, and added 10-12 new ones. Every dish we had was spectacular! Literally, SPECTACULAR! I highly recommend Solera!Special Features:
- Very fine cuisine, great serviceTedoreviewsDined on 10/10/2014I was most impressed with our server at Solera. He was attentive but not irritating, and knew the menu well so that he could offer wise suggestions. The food is very well prepared; their cook is outstanding. I had the bloody pork (blood sausage) and it was the best I've had. The ambiance is fairly lively around the bar but there is a more private section for parties that wish to have a less noisy dinner. It's also a great location, right downtown in the middle of the nightlife. I'd recommend for a date or small party. Price is $12-20 a plate.Special Features:
- Too loud to converse pleasurablyExperienceDined on 10/1/2014Food was good as well as service but noise level was impossible and restaurant was not even half full. I was there some years ago and found it too loud but returned to see if anything changed. It has not. Another couple there for the first time also said that it was much too loud--beyond lively or energetic. None of us will return or recommend it.
- Good Food - Poor ExecutionJohnSDined on 9/30/2014We've eaten at Solera before & enjoyed the experience... this time left much to be desired. Our reserv. for 4 people left an hour and a half before the show we were going to. We were seated (at a table too large for 4), our waitress arrived & asked if we had a show we were trying to make. We ordered our wine, placing our dinner order shortly after. We rcvd the bacon wrapped Dates after an appropriate time but then at least 30 min's passed before any of our other four plates showed up. By the time we left (about 10 min's to show time and we still had to walk 5 blocks) we hadn't received the final plate. Server certainly (or Mgr) should have said something. Too bad. Delicious food, but poor execution for the $. Won't be back.
- Very slow servicestrewzDined on 9/30/2014Drink orders were coming out very slow. More than 30 minutes to get our drinks. Some food was coming out quickly while other food seemed to take a long time as well. One of our dishes was missed completely. It seemed like they were short on wait staff. However, the food that we did get was really good.Special Features:
- Slow service and inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2014Took 30 minutes to get our food order in. Waiter was not able to multitask as he went back to the kitchen or bar after each table visit. Food came out in stages (when ready). Tapas came out and wet good. Waited 35 minutes after food order was taken to receive first main plate. Person ate it before second one came out and cancelled 2 others in plates, because show was about to start.
- ErnieDined on 9/30/2014Food was great. Loved the beet salad and the goat cheese peppers. We had not been here before. The wait staff was so busy or overworked, that our server had no time to spend to tell us about much of anything. The first round of food came quickly, but when we ordered our larger plate it took approx. 1/2 hour. Also, server was so overworked that he had no time to even ask us if we wanted a second wine. We were late for our concert which started at 7:30 and we were there at 6pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable fine dining jointThatzDined on 9/19/2014I have been a solera fan for almost a decade now, never fails to meet my expectation. One of the best tapas place I have ever been, on par with what I have had in Barcelona or Madrid. Only difference is Solera is more on the modern fusion end of the tapas spectrum. I have been to Solera for romantic dinners, special occasions with family or friends and even the late night happy hours, and will keep going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bites for many tastesIOSBORNEDined on 9/19/2014If you're adventurous and fun, then you'll like this restaurant. The menu changes often so you will be able to try new things. If you're the standard boring MN Meat and Potatoes Norwegian, stick with thinking Olive Garden is splurging outside your comfort zone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downhillDiningexplorerDined on 9/19/2014Solera has sadly gone downhill. When we first visited it it was a true wonder. It featured cuisine inspired from Spanish and Mediterranean. The flavor and choices were exotic. Now on two of our dishes we ordered they presented us with slider with Spanish influenced flavors, which failed. Now not all their menu items are like this and some are indeed hold overs but time for a reality check, how do sliders belong in a Tapas bar?
- Highly recommended but just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014For an empty restaurant service was lackluster at best. Appetizers were very good. Paella was burned on the bottom and overcooked in general.
- Won't be back for another 12JeanVIPDined on 9/13/2014To be fair the last time I was at Solera was 12 years ago and I don't imagine I'll be back for another 12. The ambiance is still good The service is still good but the food is no longer innovative and it is absurdly expensive for the quality. I am disappointed because there are so many good places to eat in Minneapolis and we wasted an opportunity. What I would suggest is that you stop by before of after the theater or event, order a drink and have a tapas of your choice. That is where your investment of time and money should end.
- Tapas is topsTapasgoodDined on 9/12/2014I'll start by saying I love Tapas! Yes, it's expensive, but I love the idea that it's like having a bunch of appetizers rather than a "full" meal. The setting, the staff, the food, and the drinks were all great! We went at 7pm on a Saturday. Our server immediately asked us if we were going to the show. Book of Mormon was playing a few doors away. We assured her we were here for dinner and drinks and not in a hurry. My only complaint--and Solera can do nothing about this--is that the bathrooms are a bit of a journey. They're downstairs and a bit of a walk. Solera shares the building with other businesses so they can't be blamed for that situation. Consider this a "heads up" . This was my third time there, and I'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great for Theatre goersannbrVIPDined on 9/10/2014I really like this restaurant and forgot how much fun it is to go here before a show. Small plates are just the best for sharing and don't fill you up too much before you sit for a few hours. we had scallops, and the charcuterie with the chicken liver pate is outstanding! Also, bacon wrapped figs, and the goat cheese peppers. The waiters are always good here--great spot==glad we went!Special Features:
- Great experience!leslieDined on 9/10/2014I didn't know what to expect at a tapas restaurant & didn't realize that most choices were small plates. There were a few pasta and paella choices as main entrees but they were quite pricey so we stuck w/the tapas, which were excellent. We chose piquillo peppers stuffed w/goat cheese, scallops w/lentils, blue marlin crudo, & bistec w/piquillo glaze. All the dishes were excellent. My least favorite was the blue marlin crudo - a little too spicy for my taste. We followed dinner with dessert; I had the raspberry sorbet & it was delicious while my husband had the truffles. However, don't rely on the online menu if you're trying to decide on a dessert prior to going to the restaurant as it isn't up to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Happy HoursKatNDined on 9/10/2014Group of us met for HH and we enjoyed wine, $3.00 sangrias and great food. We had dates, patatas bravas, assorted cheeses, stuffed piquillo peppers (our fave) and other tidbits. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great dining pre theater612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great place for dinner pre theater, or any other day of the week (except monday). Small dishes are meant for sharing and a bite from a handful give you an excellent taste of many dishes. Charred beets and Octopus were 2 of the standouts. Great, unique wines and sherry highlight the alcohol list, as well as some interesting cocktails. Great service that will take care of you if you find yourself in a pickle. Warm, friendly environment. I feel like with all the new hot spots, solera has fallen behind in recent years, but it is still an awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish Fare & Atmosphere!FoxluvsfoodDined on 9/6/2014We decided to throw a small surprise party for my husband here because he loves Tapas. We reserved the private room which seats up to 11 people. The room was gorgeous with its' brick walls and beautifully modern, hand blown glass lighting. The Paella was authentic, the tapas were very tasty and, the staff was superb. They poured the champagne in perfect timing (per request) and presented a delicious chocolate cake, prepared by their pastry chef for the occasion. They were very accommodating and we had a wonderful experience. Thank You for a memorable evening, Solera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOutstandingDined on 9/5/2014We made a reservation online and it worked out perfectly to arrange a space where we could meet with our 5 adult children to share a meal and experience something new. Our waiter Matthew was outstanding, the food was amazing, we were all delighted with the food and service, and came away with a tremendous memory of our time shared together. It was a bit loud when we arrived... partly due to people trying to eat and leave quickly so they could get to a nearby show. Once that crowd diminished, we had a real opportunity to talk and hear one another. It was great!Special Features:
- NickyDined on 9/5/2014I seldom drink and I had two cocktails and felt very little effect from the a alcohol. Sea food was over cooked. Also we were given more food than we ordered and when we told them they didn't seem to care and charged us for those items. And you could not find any ham in the ham and cheese courgettes. I, m serious.
- Excellent pre-show diningElkinseconDined on 8/30/2014Solera is a great place for a romantic dinner before a show at one of the Hennepin Ave theatres (it's right next to the Orpheum). The small plate Spanish "tapas" menu is innovative and ever-changing (except for the patatas bravas, which have stood the test of time - delicious!). You can easily adjust the amount of food that you order to suit your apetite by ordering more or fewer tapas (like you can when eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant, for example). We've had an exceptional dining exerience every time we've eaten there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork and potatoes!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014loved the view. ate on the roof, fries and sangria are to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Server Makes a DifferenceAparsDined on 8/27/2014This was our second time dining at Solera, and sadly not as good as the first time. The food server was excellent the first time- with knowledge and enthusiasm of the wine list and menu. This last time, our server did not speak to us much and we did not have time to eat the dessert we ordered and for which we paid. We thought an hour and a half would be enough time to have dinner before catching a show next door. Of course, our server could have asked if we had plans to go to the show that night. Our server the first time did ask.Special Features:
- DownhillStacyDined on 8/27/2014I used to be a big fan of Solera, however, the rooftop is no longer very nice compared to others downtown, the food was mediocre, and the service was fair at best. Probably won't go back and no longer would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014We hadn't dined at Solera since it opened many years ago. I thought the food was better during those early days of dining there a few times, but not the night a week ago. We sat at a requested quiet booth in the back. Waiter was very good, but the food was disapppointing in portion size than expected for the price: rabbit pasta & chicken; 3 bites from each of the Game Hen's 2 legs & of the 2 sm. pieces of breast meat. Had to wait for a very long time for the walnut cake dessert to arrive. I wouldn't recommend dining at Solera to others.Special Features:
- Fun place. Good food.moebiusDined on 8/24/2014Solera is a good place for large groups. The food is good. We weren't too impressed with the service, but overall they weren't so bad.Special Features:
- my favoriteNicFitDined on 8/23/2014Solera is one of my favorite places in Minneapolis, especially for special occasions. The Spanish wine list is phenomenal, I would recommend the AN/2 highly, and the food is so fun and unique is hard to not have a wonderful meal here. Finish with a glass of the cream sherry and you will sleep like as very well fed babySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Pre-Show Dinner!mikie376VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, service and ambience were outstanding for our dinner at Solera before Book of Mormon on Saturday! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the tapasAudyGodwechDined on 8/21/2014Got the beef heart, croquettas, rabbit and more! It was delicious! Churros were very authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and funLadiesDined on 8/20/2014This is perfect spot for pre theater dinning. Our server was very professional and knowledgeble of the menu and wine list. She didn't bat an eye when 10 women asked for seperate checks. The water and bread baskets were kept full. The people watching was so much fun from our sidwalk table on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Satisfying tapas with flair!FoodieSuzyVIPDined on 8/17/2014The reviews that panned the service were so far off of our experience as to be laughable! We had an amiable and attentive server who really knew the menu and ingredients, and did a wonderful job of suggesting plates that were compliments to one another. I have lived in Spain, and found a couple of old favorites at Solera. Great escargot and I loved the croquettes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable FoodDinerDined on 8/15/2014We returned to Solera specifically for their delicious bacon wrapped dates. They were as good as we remembered them!Special Features:
- Great Experiencetime2dineDined on 8/10/2014Though a bit noisy and dark, Solera provided a first rate evening. The menu options were varied and excellent and we sampled many dishes. The service was professional and unhurried; there when needed and not when not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasSlpdinerDined on 8/2/2014Delicious Spanish inspired food, small plates to share. The cheese plate features a blue cheese that melts in your mouth! Variety of sangrias. Better to be seated in the rear of the restaurant, quieter and more intimate. The service is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCartney Concert NightFrenziedDined on 8/2/2014I think it was a bad night for Solera. Understaffed? We should have known something was amiss when the hostess mumbled something, grabbed 2 menus and took off walking. She turned around at some point and said "I'm not ready for you yet - just taking these menus back to the bar." Then, we saw and heard the manager at 2 tables near us making apologies. One because they had been there 20 minutes with no server contact at all. Another because their main tapas (entree) order had been lost in the kitchen and they were not going to have time to eat it before leaving. We ended up skipping the main dish because the order got lost. Our server disappeared for 20 minutes. They did take the cost of one tapas off the bill. Food we had was good!Special Features:
- Don't go here!SuzfoodzDined on 8/2/2014We had terrible service, the menu you was limited and we didn't understand most of the items. It took 10 minutes for someone to finally come over take our drink choice. Then it took another 20 minutes to get them. It took 45 minutes to finally get our food. We ended up canceling our last items we ordered because we had to make it to a concert. Wouldn't you think 2 hours is enough time to plan for dinner?
- Solera with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Solera is a great place to enjoy a wonderful tapas meal with friends. Great food and service!Special Features:
- not the same menu on rooftopOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014It was a perfect Minneapolis summer night, so we decided to sit on the rooftop instead of the dining room, but we were unaware the menus are not the same, the rooftop has a seperate kitchen, food choices were poor and what a dissapointment, I could not wait long enough to get the check and leave. I also wish rooftop patios would ban smoking, hard to enjoy anything when people are lighting up all aroundyou. Gross!!