Solera - Minneapolis
900 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Solera - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solera-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 6123380062
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 6-days a week 5:00pm - 10:00pm CLOSED Mondays Bar: Sunday - Thursday until 12:00am; Friday and Saturday until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jorge Guzman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Solera - Minneapolis
Featuring an evocative menu, authentically embracing the cuisine of Spain, Solera offers an unparalleled experiance for social dining in a vibrant, Spanish-influenced atmosphere. In addition to spectacular dinner, dessert and late night menus, guests enjoy an extensive Spanish wine list, organized by region, expertly crafted cocktails and signature sangrias. Solera offers several inside dining spaces including a lounge area, main and private dining rooms, and a tapas bar, along with outdoor patio dining on street level, a private veranda dining space on the second floor and a lively rooftop bar. Fresh menu selections, seafood, house-prepared charcuterie and Spanish cheeses are all served with exceptional, personalized service, right in the heart of the Hennepin Theater district. PLEASE NOTE: The bar, lounge, tapas bar, patio and roof are all seated on a first come, first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solera - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)special occasion (37)good for groups (33)romantic (30)notable wine list (28)hot spot (25)great for outdoor dining (23)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (9)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always reliable fine dining jointThatzDined on 9/19/2014I have been a solera fan for almost a decade now, never fails to meet my expectation. One of the best tapas place I have ever been, on par with what I have had in Barcelona or Madrid. Only difference is Solera is more on the modern fusion end of the tapas spectrum. I have been to Solera for romantic dinners, special occasions with family or friends and even the late night happy hours, and will keep going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bites for many tastesIOSBORNEDined on 9/19/2014If you're adventurous and fun, then you'll like this restaurant. The menu changes often so you will be able to try new things. If you're the standard boring MN Meat and Potatoes Norwegian, stick with thinking Olive Garden is splurging outside your comfort zone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downhillDiningexplorerDined on 9/19/2014Solera has sadly gone downhill. When we first visited it it was a true wonder. It featured cuisine inspired from Spanish and Mediterranean. The flavor and choices were exotic. Now on two of our dishes we ordered they presented us with slider with Spanish influenced flavors, which failed. Now not all their menu items are like this and some are indeed hold overs but time for a reality check, how do sliders belong in a Tapas bar?
- Highly recommended but just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014For an empty restaurant service was lackluster at best. Appetizers were very good. Paella was burned on the bottom and overcooked in general.
- Won't be back for another 12JeanVIPDined on 9/13/2014To be fair the last time I was at Solera was 12 years ago and I don't imagine I'll be back for another 12. The ambiance is still good The service is still good but the food is no longer innovative and it is absurdly expensive for the quality. I am disappointed because there are so many good places to eat in Minneapolis and we wasted an opportunity. What I would suggest is that you stop by before of after the theater or event, order a drink and have a tapas of your choice. That is where your investment of time and money should end.
- Great for Theatre goersannbrVIPDined on 9/10/2014I really like this restaurant and forgot how much fun it is to go here before a show. Small plates are just the best for sharing and don't fill you up too much before you sit for a few hours. we had scallops, and the charcuterie with the chicken liver pate is outstanding! Also, bacon wrapped figs, and the goat cheese peppers. The waiters are always good here--great spot==glad we went!Special Features:
- Great experience!leslieDined on 9/10/2014I didn't know what to expect at a tapas restaurant & didn't realize that most choices were small plates. There were a few pasta and paella choices as main entrees but they were quite pricey so we stuck w/the tapas, which were excellent. We chose piquillo peppers stuffed w/goat cheese, scallops w/lentils, blue marlin crudo, & bistec w/piquillo glaze. All the dishes were excellent. My least favorite was the blue marlin crudo - a little too spicy for my taste. We followed dinner with dessert; I had the raspberry sorbet & it was delicious while my husband had the truffles. However, don't rely on the online menu if you're trying to decide on a dessert prior to going to the restaurant as it isn't up to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Happy HoursKatNDined on 9/10/2014Group of us met for HH and we enjoyed wine, $3.00 sangrias and great food. We had dates, patatas bravas, assorted cheeses, stuffed piquillo peppers (our fave) and other tidbits. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great dining pre theater612WhereAreYouVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great place for dinner pre theater, or any other day of the week (except monday). Small dishes are meant for sharing and a bite from a handful give you an excellent taste of many dishes. Charred beets and Octopus were 2 of the standouts. Great, unique wines and sherry highlight the alcohol list, as well as some interesting cocktails. Great service that will take care of you if you find yourself in a pickle. Warm, friendly environment. I feel like with all the new hot spots, solera has fallen behind in recent years, but it is still an awesome restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish Fare & Atmosphere!FoxluvsfoodDined on 9/6/2014We decided to throw a small surprise party for my husband here because he loves Tapas. We reserved the private room which seats up to 11 people. The room was gorgeous with its' brick walls and beautifully modern, hand blown glass lighting. The Paella was authentic, the tapas were very tasty and, the staff was superb. They poured the champagne in perfect timing (per request) and presented a delicious chocolate cake, prepared by their pastry chef for the occasion. They were very accommodating and we had a wonderful experience. Thank You for a memorable evening, Solera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOutstandingDined on 9/5/2014We made a reservation online and it worked out perfectly to arrange a space where we could meet with our 5 adult children to share a meal and experience something new. Our waiter Matthew was outstanding, the food was amazing, we were all delighted with the food and service, and came away with a tremendous memory of our time shared together. It was a bit loud when we arrived... partly due to people trying to eat and leave quickly so they could get to a nearby show. Once that crowd diminished, we had a real opportunity to talk and hear one another. It was great!Special Features:
- NickyDined on 9/5/2014I seldom drink and I had two cocktails and felt very little effect from the a alcohol. Sea food was over cooked. Also we were given more food than we ordered and when we told them they didn't seem to care and charged us for those items. And you could not find any ham in the ham and cheese courgettes. I, m serious.
- Excellent pre-show diningElkinseconDined on 8/30/2014Solera is a great place for a romantic dinner before a show at one of the Hennepin Ave theatres (it's right next to the Orpheum). The small plate Spanish "tapas" menu is innovative and ever-changing (except for the patatas bravas, which have stood the test of time - delicious!). You can easily adjust the amount of food that you order to suit your apetite by ordering more or fewer tapas (like you can when eating sushi at a Japanese restaurant, for example). We've had an exceptional dining exerience every time we've eaten there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork and potatoes!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014loved the view. ate on the roof, fries and sangria are to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Server Makes a DifferenceAparsDined on 8/27/2014This was our second time dining at Solera, and sadly not as good as the first time. The food server was excellent the first time- with knowledge and enthusiasm of the wine list and menu. This last time, our server did not speak to us much and we did not have time to eat the dessert we ordered and for which we paid. We thought an hour and a half would be enough time to have dinner before catching a show next door. Of course, our server could have asked if we had plans to go to the show that night. Our server the first time did ask.Special Features:
- DownhillStacyDined on 8/27/2014I used to be a big fan of Solera, however, the rooftop is no longer very nice compared to others downtown, the food was mediocre, and the service was fair at best. Probably won't go back and no longer would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014We hadn't dined at Solera since it opened many years ago. I thought the food was better during those early days of dining there a few times, but not the night a week ago. We sat at a requested quiet booth in the back. Waiter was very good, but the food was disapppointing in portion size than expected for the price: rabbit pasta & chicken; 3 bites from each of the Game Hen's 2 legs & of the 2 sm. pieces of breast meat. Had to wait for a very long time for the walnut cake dessert to arrive. I wouldn't recommend dining at Solera to others.Special Features:
- Fun place. Good food.moebiusDined on 8/24/2014Solera is a good place for large groups. The food is good. We weren't too impressed with the service, but overall they weren't so bad.Special Features:
- my favoriteNicFitDined on 8/23/2014Solera is one of my favorite places in Minneapolis, especially for special occasions. The Spanish wine list is phenomenal, I would recommend the AN/2 highly, and the food is so fun and unique is hard to not have a wonderful meal here. Finish with a glass of the cream sherry and you will sleep like as very well fed babySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Pre-Show Dinner!mikie376VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, service and ambience were outstanding for our dinner at Solera before Book of Mormon on Saturday! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the tapasAudyGodwechDined on 8/21/2014Got the beef heart, croquettas, rabbit and more! It was delicious! Churros were very authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and funLadiesDined on 8/20/2014This is perfect spot for pre theater dinning. Our server was very professional and knowledgeble of the menu and wine list. She didn't bat an eye when 10 women asked for seperate checks. The water and bread baskets were kept full. The people watching was so much fun from our sidwalk table on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Satisfying tapas with flair!FoodieSuzyVIPDined on 8/17/2014The reviews that panned the service were so far off of our experience as to be laughable! We had an amiable and attentive server who really knew the menu and ingredients, and did a wonderful job of suggesting plates that were compliments to one another. I have lived in Spain, and found a couple of old favorites at Solera. Great escargot and I loved the croquettes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable FoodDinerDined on 8/15/2014We returned to Solera specifically for their delicious bacon wrapped dates. They were as good as we remembered them!Special Features:
- Great Experiencetime2dineDined on 8/10/2014Though a bit noisy and dark, Solera provided a first rate evening. The menu options were varied and excellent and we sampled many dishes. The service was professional and unhurried; there when needed and not when not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapasSlpdinerDined on 8/2/2014Delicious Spanish inspired food, small plates to share. The cheese plate features a blue cheese that melts in your mouth! Variety of sangrias. Better to be seated in the rear of the restaurant, quieter and more intimate. The service is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McCartney Concert NightFrenziedDined on 8/2/2014I think it was a bad night for Solera. Understaffed? We should have known something was amiss when the hostess mumbled something, grabbed 2 menus and took off walking. She turned around at some point and said "I'm not ready for you yet - just taking these menus back to the bar." Then, we saw and heard the manager at 2 tables near us making apologies. One because they had been there 20 minutes with no server contact at all. Another because their main tapas (entree) order had been lost in the kitchen and they were not going to have time to eat it before leaving. We ended up skipping the main dish because the order got lost. Our server disappeared for 20 minutes. They did take the cost of one tapas off the bill. Food we had was good!Special Features:
- Don't go here!SuzfoodzDined on 8/2/2014We had terrible service, the menu you was limited and we didn't understand most of the items. It took 10 minutes for someone to finally come over take our drink choice. Then it took another 20 minutes to get them. It took 45 minutes to finally get our food. We ended up canceling our last items we ordered because we had to make it to a concert. Wouldn't you think 2 hours is enough time to plan for dinner?
- Solera with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Solera is a great place to enjoy a wonderful tapas meal with friends. Great food and service!Special Features:
- not the same menu on rooftopOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014It was a perfect Minneapolis summer night, so we decided to sit on the rooftop instead of the dining room, but we were unaware the menus are not the same, the rooftop has a seperate kitchen, food choices were poor and what a dissapointment, I could not wait long enough to get the check and leave. I also wish rooftop patios would ban smoking, hard to enjoy anything when people are lighting up all aroundyou. Gross!!
- Still fantastic Tapas!BobtheFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Had not been back to Solera for a while, but even though it has changed Chefs, the quality was still superb and very inventive. We had about 6 courses and they were all incredibly good. In addition to the great items they have on the Menu now, we are also hoping that they bring back at least one of the perennial favorites from the past, their Mushroom tapa. Anybody familiar with Solera will know exactly which one I mean. We will be back again...and again. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014My wife and I went on a Thursday night before a concert at First Ave. Sat inside to take advantage of the full menu. Although the rooftop seating was appealing, the menu was limited. Everything was on point. The bacon wrapped dates are not to be missed. The service was perfect with our waiter guiding and pacing us through 5 different tapas with perfection. The only criticism I have is the weird lighting and dark interior. Overall, the dark walls and seating colors make you feel like you're in a cave. But, you also might have a ceiling spotlight right in your face giving the feeling of "the third degree" I would definitely go back because the service and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday outingOutOfTheKitchenDined on 7/17/2014I'd never been to Solera before, and was hoping to sit on the rooftop. When we realized that the rooftop menu had fewer food choices, we opted for sitting in the open floor-to-ceiling window area. It was a lovely, mild night, so that was the perfect choice. The rush-hour traffic was entertaining, and eventually slowed to a trickle. Our server was excellent - knowledgeable about all the drink ingredients and about the wines; we followed his drinks and food suggestions several times and were not disappointed once. Loved the complimentary birthday dessert, too! We'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance!ResaVIPDined on 7/5/2014Finally! A restaurant where my dinner party does not have to yell across the table at each other to be heard! I loved the ambiance of Solera! The seating was very comfortable especially with the cushions on the backs of the booths. The lighting was romantic and the colors were soothing. The presentation of the food was appealing, and every dish I tried was delightful.Special Features:
- FoodiesDined on 7/1/2014One of the best Paella ever. We had mussels and patata bravas which were delicious. Our server w as extremely friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solera in the summerUptownfeverDined on 6/27/2014We went to Solera for a friends bachelorette party. We were able to get great seating on the roof- fun outdoor space, but the tapas were a bit pricy and for such small quantities of food. We walked away hungry. The drinks are great! Go for drinks- don't stay for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for GroupsFriendlyFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Nothing negative about this place, went with a group of 6. Had an excellent time the staff was kind and gave great suggestions. Returned a few weeks for movie night with another couple, yet again outstanding service and food good. My only complaint was the oysters were not shucked and they were a bit dirty. Had more than trace amounts of sand. Only thing to note some menu favorites might not be available on the rooftop, but the dates are! I wouldn't order the oysters again but everything else was superb!Special Features:
- Different menu for rooftop diningdowntowndiner54Dined on 6/21/2014The hostess offered us rooftop dining, it was a beautiful evening, so we said 'why not?'. What we later learned, was that the menu was completely different than what was in the restaurant... and left us feeling very disappointed. The entrees on the rooftop just weren't very good. We wound up having a couple, but left to dine across the street.Special Features:
- Excellent Pre-Show Dinner Spot!mikie376VIPDined on 6/21/2014We had 10 or 12 different Tapas dishes for 4 people. We all enjoyed every one! Wonderful flavors, smells & tastes! And just the right amount of food, so that we weren't going to the Theatre stuffed. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- quick, attentive service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014Service was excellent, we were seeing a play and only had about 45 minutes to dine, the server made it happen for us. The food was unique and delicious! The bar was louder than I've experienced before, great for groups, but not for a date probably.Special Features: