Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
388 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solearestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7818941805
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Brunson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Solea can accommodate groups of 20-250. Call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Coleen Noonan; Hope Alvarez 7818941805
A word from Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Solea offers a warm Mediterranean atmosphere with its richly colored walls, mosaics and sparkling lamps. It is the perfect destination for a quick bar snack, an after work gathering or a celebratory dinner. Private spaces are available for formal sit-down dinners, casual buffets, or cocktail receptions for groups of 25-250 people. The menu includes over 40 tapas (Spanish appetizers and entrees. The bar offerings range from : traditional sangria, Latino cocktails, and wines from Spain, Portugal, Chile, and Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (71)good for groups (61)special occasion (57)romantic (42)great for lunch (20)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food....great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The four of us enjoyed Solea immensely....our waitress was excellent, making sure that the various tapas came out in an orderly procession!!! Would return for sure.Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Have dined at solea at least 10 times, always a great meal with great service A little pricey....Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDiningoutDined on 8/29/2014With the open windows and lovely plantings, Solea creates a European environment for dining. The food was delicious and the service excellent. Prices were also very reasonable. Terrific white sangria!Special Features:
- soggy and soddenotiseatingDined on 8/28/2014One dish arrived cold and had to be sent back for heating. A medium rare order produced a blood-red hunk of beef. That steak, overfatty, was presented in a pan with a one-inch high combination of cooked cream, brandy, figs, prunes, and apricots--seemingly of the canned variety. No apricot could be tasted. An altogether heavy, sodden, and fatty disappointment. Veggies were very strangely and unpleasantly spiced. Sometimes way too much garlic. And how can you ruin a little flowerless chocolate tart with strawberry sauce and whipped cream? By not using real cocoa-based chocolate and instead some chemical, weak, nasty simulacrum. Waitress was nice, however.
- A splendid place!MerrySeniorDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed restaurant week at Solea. It has been a long while since we were there, and we found that during that time it was even better. The food and atmosphere were so European, authentic, and excellent. Such a treasure!Special Features:
- Good dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, 3 tapas and oceano fideaus, and service was good, but it was too noisy for our taste to enjoy dinner. we were 3 of us and was sat in the middle of the back dinning room surrounded by large loud groups, with people constantly passing by our table.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceJennVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have been here twice now. Both times blown away by the quality of their service. Food wax good with a large and creative tapas menu. Things did seem a little under seasoned this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insanely fabulous as alwaysRangreenDined on 8/23/2014Been here for years and have never been disappointed! What might be too 'spicy' for one person is perfect for another. That's the only reason to share. I'm a foodie, have tried every restaurant in the area but can always count on solea to deliver! Restaurant week or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated tapasFoodCriticDined on 8/23/2014Solea is a local Waltham gem that serves delightfully sophisticated Spanish tapas in a European setting opening on a very American Main Street. The convertible window/walls that connect to the street-scene provide more than fresh air, but rather add to the ambience that accompanies the edible cultural choices. Whether you choose the fixed price tapas menu or order your tapas a la carte, you will not be disappointed. Sizzling shrimp, chicken livers, empanadas, tenderloin with chimichurri sauce, and baby lamb chops are all winners. But the roasted duck in berry sauce is irresistible. Neither fatty nor dried out, the duck shines in its fruit sauce like a light in your mouth!Special Features:
- Street Noise AwfulNoisyDined on 8/22/2014The food was good but overpriced and consisted of extremely small portions. Margaritas were delicious but served in a wine glass which was way too small. Waiter was accommodating making several trips. My friend had to keep asking for bread since he never felt full after each tapas. They should keep front windows closed. Very loud street noise. Buses, motorcycles, scooters, police fire and ambulance all interfered with conversation. This type of restaurant belongs in a quieter off main street location.
- tapas lunchfrenchyDined on 8/22/2014Always get the soup of the day. Gazpacho excellent. Stuffed Polano pepper was different and tasty. The almond cherry flan...mmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to SpainHdhejVIPDined on 8/22/2014Okay, so it isn't Spain, but might as well be the closest I get to Spain. This place serves outstanding dishes with simple spices, but very favorable. The cost of the plates reflect the quality of the food. The amounts are good for Tapas and price is reasonable for the quantity and taste. I like to do 3-4 Tapas. Yes, that is about $40. I have not had something that I disliked here. I don't think you can go wrong. I will say that the service can get busy and cooking food to order takes time, so plan on a leisurely lunch or dinner. There was some big rice dish with all kinds of meats and seafood, but that takes 30 minutes to cook! That is okay, just plan on spending more time. The food is worth the wait.Special Features:
- pickypickyVIPDined on 8/19/2014we went for restaurant week. the $38 was a good value BUT it was so much food. financially we would have been better just ordering off the menu. artichoke & mushroom & bluecheese appetizer was great. Pork & bluecheese & mushroom was great. Duck was very good but I thought too sweet sauce: others liked it. Steak was delicious. dessert of Flan had some sweet sauce. choc cake was good. 3 leche was dry. However overall I enjoyed the meal very much & will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of flavor!MarKevVIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent paella! My husband & I shared the smaller portion of Valenciana paella, along with 4 different hot tapas. It was a little too much for us, but we were happy to doggy bag the paella. My favorite of the tapas was liver w/ bacon! Yum!! This visit we opted for a bottle of the special wine that was recommended by our waiter. It went perfectly w/ Spanish dish. While the food was awesome, service, however, could've been better. He was great in the beginning, but kinda disappeared once the food started to arrive. That made me recall our last visit here a year ago, it was basically the same: great food, but not so great on the service. It's really too bad...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a favorite but...Proggirl2Dined on 8/15/2014This is usually my place of choice for get togethers with friends and co-workers. There is a huge variety of food and sharing is encouraged... And Sangria is to die for.. But this time I think our server was not the greatest. Food came to the table late and cold and they brought the wrong Sangria and it was watered down. Don't know if the problem was that this time we went at lunch when usually we go after work.Special Features:
- tablepour2VIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent liver and empanada! We were celebrating and waitress quickly adjusted to our slower pace for ordering and allowed us to enjoy a pitcher of sangria until all arrived then we toasted with champagne. One person ordered for the table and we had a medley of great small plates and end with paella. It was a wonderful night. We'd been several times in past and it has always been good but this time the food was just outstanding. Doors were open and although the street noise was loud it was vibrant and fun. Place was hopping. Definitely a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Local, Good, Exotic, and Normal!AK87VIPDined on 8/11/2014Great spot for a team dinner to try new things, but also have some normalcy! Great local find. Cheaper and easier to get to than comparable restaurants in Boston.Special Features:
- deliciousmrslambsDined on 8/10/2014Tried some new dishes. Brazilian bread-outstanding. Pork loin-outstanding. Chicken livers-just OK. Strange seasoning.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewAnonymousDined on 8/5/2014We were seated promptly by a friendly hostess, and the food we ordered arrived speedily. The food was good, not great. Our waitress never refilled our water glasses over a 2-hour period. A table of young women next to us were screaming with laughter, making it difficult for us to hear the people talking at our own table. Overall, a good-enough but not great experience.Special Features:
- Tasty Tapas in Walthamwant2pickDined on 8/2/2014Solea is my favorite restaurant in on Moody Street in Waltham. There are so many yummy tapas to choose from: delicious combinations and all very fresh. It's great to order a few tapas at a time until you're satisfied and why not get a pitcher of sangria? The decor is somewhat elegant/exotic but dress is very casual. The place is very spacious and there is a separate bar area.Special Features:
- Could be excellent, but some flawswaterdogDined on 8/2/2014I would have rated Solea at 5 stars and called the food excellent, were it not for one problem. The meats were very overcooked. For example, the lamb chops were so charred that the charred taste overwhelmed what would have been a delicious little treat. I admit I should have sent them back, but it was late and I didn't really want to wait for another order to come out. The pork was the same way, though perhaps not quite as extreme. The seafood, however, was excellent, perfectly done, and the sauces on all the dishes were excellent. Restaurants need to learn that just putting the burned side down when the meat is served does not make it OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the guysDonnyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Had a guys night out on Friday Aug 1st. Our server Ally was great. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed our mealHappyVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was our first time here and we will definitely return soon. The tapas choices are good except some healthy vegetable choices are needed. The scallops were the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty Spanish foodSuburbanDinerDined on 7/19/2014Excellent place for tapas, good quality wine, great margaritas and sangria. We enjoyed a corner table with four of us and shared small plates, which were all good, solid and mostly tasty. Gluten-free menu had great range, but still had some hiccups as two plates came with gluten-rich bread, which brought the rest of the plates into question for our guests with celiac. (Bread basket to a table where two of four are gluten-intolerant is something that should be handled by the host and service staff!) Shrimp in garlic was rich, sparkling and tasty; collards were perfectly prepared; chroizo was spicy and just the right amount of spice. However, we wanted more edge, more boldness. Wonder if the placement in the suburbs discourages that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Business LunchHdhejVIPDined on 7/18/2014We went out for a business lunch and had the best time here. They set us up in a quiet room with our group of 7 people. We each ordered 2-3 tapas and a large rice dish for the table. They informed us that this dish takes 30 minutes to cook, but with the timing of the tapas, this would come at the end of the meal. Everything was delicious and well timed. The server was right on target with drinks and the food couldn't have been better. What a great time!Special Features:
- Solea always impresses!FoodiefoodDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I have dined at Solea numerous times and it's always good. This past time was the same! Good food, good drinks... Maybe time to shake up the menu a bit as I haven't seen anything new on it for about a year and a half, but hey, if it works...! The only slightly negative I have was that our server seemed overworked... He had a full section and then was asked to pick up a 12 top. So there was some delay in being able to order our tapas and then again when we were looking to order more drinks... But that's no fault of his! Go to Solea... It's really good tapas and drinks, wrapped up in a charming environment!Special Features:
- Enjoyable food and serviceLvanGoDined on 7/12/2014We've actually been to spain so tapas here in the US are hard to compare to the real deal. In saying that the food and drinks were well worth the price. Furthermore our waiter has been working there for at least 10 years and the service was fantastic with a table of 5 who kept him busy. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Since the front of the restaurant opens to the street, we got all of the street noise and heat.Special Features:
- A Delightful FindFoodieLoverDined on 7/11/2014Dined for dinner with my wife, and were both delighted by this seemingly popular tapas restaurant. Excellent and knowledgeable service, decent wine selection, and a large and diverse menu which should provide ample choices regardless of what foods you prefer.Special Features:
- You haven't seen the last of us!LAjackDined on 7/8/2014Beautifully prepared food , we will return!The service was perfect and very knowledgeable about food items. Next time for quieter dining I'd ask for the blue room.Special Features:
- Every dish unique and deliciousToddBDined on 7/4/2014From the incredibly tasty crusty bread to the satisfying dessert and every tapas dish in between (esp. the sausage and fig dish), it was a great meal. The Sangria, slightly fruitier than Sol Azteca's, was very refreshingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Great restaurant - I love their Tapas and sangria. Portion sizes are very generous for a Tapas restaurant. Very relaxing dining experience.Special Features:
- Tapas deliciosasChicaDined on 6/21/2014We had a great lunch with some wonderfully creative tapas. The favorites at our table were the pato braseado, the chuletillas, and the albondigas de cordero. The sauces on each were fantastic. The paella valenciana was okay, but it seemed like it should have cooked longer, as the rice was still a bit loose and watery. Then again, I've been spoiled by having the real thing in Valencia, and nothing really compares to that, so I may be a bit too critical of a judge on that one. The atmosphere was great, as was the service, and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantBiggsDined on 6/20/2014I enjoyed my 1st experience at Solea and will definitely be back there again and again. I would say that if it could open later or even into a after hour spot, You could generate alot more revenue. You definitely have the space for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/17/2014food was great, good selection, variety of tapas, had a number of vegetarian selections as well, pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!BAHBAHDined on 6/15/2014Solea is one of our "go to" spots. This time it was Father's Day ... but we always can count on having a great meal and a great experience at Solea!Special Features:
- Creative tapas great sangriaRamundDined on 6/15/2014Terrific food experience with variety and creativity. Short ribs were great, and don't overlook the veggies. Sangria just like in the ol country. Only negative was being stuck in room that soon become empty, though we did make a reservation and other tables seemed available. Next time we'll say something.Special Features:
- Best Dinner EVER!!!!bestfoodaroundDined on 6/15/2014The waitstaff was the nicest, most competent, friendliest I have ever seen while still seeming sincere. The Food was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!! Every bite was better than the next. I will return here at my earliest convenience!!!!Special Features:
- Delicious and fabulous servicefoodelightDined on 6/14/2014We had a couple dishes that were exceptional seasonal treats: red pepper gazpacho and watermelon jicama salad. Our waiter was very attentive and very knowledgable. All in all avery pleasant sining experience.Special Features:
- Good restaurant for diverse tastes.PapaLewDined on 6/7/2014We had diverse tastes and found a mix of tapas to please all of us. We ordered eight for the four of use and that was plenty. I was surprised that I liked the chicken liver (using English rather than Spanish names) as it is not one of my favorites. The Sangria Royale was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.