Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
388 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solearestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7818941805
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Brunson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Solea can accommodate groups of 20-250. Call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Coleen Noonan; Hope Alvarez 7818941805
A word from Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Solea offers a warm Mediterranean atmosphere with its richly colored walls, mosaics and sparkling lamps. It is the perfect destination for a quick bar snack, an after work gathering or a celebratory dinner. Private spaces are available for formal sit-down dinners, casual buffets, or cocktail receptions for groups of 25-250 people. The menu includes over 40 tapas (Spanish appetizers and entrees. The bar offerings range from : traditional sangria, Latino cocktails, and wines from Spain, Portugal, Chile, and Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (75)good for groups (62)special occasion (50)romantic (37)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (7)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fun night out!babolatcourtDined on 10/11/2014This is a great date night out, but it would also be a fun night out with a group of friends. The service was fabulous and the food was delicious. There were so many fun choices on the menu, the food had great flavor, and the restaurant had an upbeat atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We love Solea. We've been going for years. But this time the food was really under seasoned. We will certainly go back again but we hope the chef and his/her staff will season the food properly. it was really bland. This is a fun restaurant with a great atmosphere and we have always rave about the food. We recommend it to our friends. But if the food continues to be what we experienced this weekend I'm not sure we'll continue to recommend it.Special Features:
- Our favorite place!RriverariveraDined on 10/10/2014We were at Solea for our 10th anniversary celebration and they were as charming and lovely as ever. We love the food and they are always friendly...it is like going home. The whole ambience is very inviting, from the decor to the music. Our favorites tapas are butifarras con brevas, palta reina, gambas al ajillo and tostadas de alcachofas. That is why we keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timeRichDined on 10/5/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. I found the staff very helpful and friendly and the food was outstanding. I would go there again eagerly.Special Features:
- Solid tapasMichaelVIPDined on 9/27/2014The tapas is exceptionally good here. The restaurant itself gets a bit loud when it starts to fill up, so quiet conversation is not on the menu. 2 to 3 tapas per person is perfect. Most of the dishes split well between two people. There are many options to satisfy all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodReally12Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed the eclectic mix of options from the tapas menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, but priceyyummytimeDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, elegant decor, warm and friendly ambiance, good service and fun tapas concept, ...but watch out because the small plates add up fast ($$$) and $26 for a carafe of fruit juice...er...sangria is really pushing it. I would return for all the positives, but will order less and skip the sangria.Special Features:
- ComfortableSorceressCaptainDined on 9/23/2014The menu has many options as does the wine list.... That being said, a couple of our dishes came out room temp at best, It is a bigger place than you would expect and even though it has several "rooms", It was still a bit noisy. It is not fine dining..... But even still the wait staff could use a little brush up training. Overall not a terrible experience, the food was flavorful and presented well but I would have preferred items to arrive hot off the stove. I felt as though they may have been prepared in advance or left to sit too long before arriving at our table. It is the combination of factors that prevents me from giving a higher rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, rushed by the serversOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Food is consistently good. Service is consistently questionable. On arriving we asked to be seated with a server who wasn't going to rush us out (this had happened before) and were assured the kitchen stayed open until 11. It being 7:30 one would assume it'd be fine....come 10 the server was hovering. Also, it was odd as our server continually reached over the table - saying 'pardon my reach' but there was easy access around all sides. For a restaurant with European styling there is a distinctly 'in and done' American flavor to the wait staff, At least this time the server didn't hover clicking a pen as the time before!
- JillJillDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated a birthday with some young professionals. Food and service were excellent. Sangria was fabulous but the pitchers are loaded with ice so didn't serve as many as we hoped. It was busy, a little noisy but had a nice ambiance and the round tables allowed for comfortable conversation and sharing small plates. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodDined on 9/17/2014The food here was really good, and they were very accommodating of our group for my friends birthday. I am a picky eater, but their specials blew me away.Special Features:
- SOLEA BEST TAPASOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014We have been to many tapa restaurants, including Barcelona Spain. Solea comes in at the top of the list with flavor, variety and authenticity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BentleyMomDined on 9/6/2014As a family of 4 we tried 10 tapas items (including some of the daily specials), the vegetable paella (amazing) and 4 desserts. Every bite was delicious!! Service was outstanding - our waitress was friendly and attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food....great timeynotgoDined on 8/31/2014The four of us enjoyed Solea immensely....our waitress was excellent, making sure that the various tapas came out in an orderly procession!!! Would return for sure.Special Features:
- Love the Paella!LA94022VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great atmosphere, living & fun! Solea was recommended to us by our friends' friends. We were dropping our daughter off at college and wanted to meet our friends for a festive dining experience. The waitress was super friendly and warm but missed on a few service no-brainers such as forgetting one person's wine and repeatedly changed the order that our food was coming out. Ultimately the tapas were good but the paella was great!Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Have dined at solea at least 10 times, always a great meal with great service A little pricey....Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDiningoutDined on 8/29/2014With the open windows and lovely plantings, Solea creates a European environment for dining. The food was delicious and the service excellent. Prices were also very reasonable. Terrific white sangria!Special Features:
- soggy and soddenotiseatingDined on 8/28/2014One dish arrived cold and had to be sent back for heating. A medium rare order produced a blood-red hunk of beef. That steak, overfatty, was presented in a pan with a one-inch high combination of cooked cream, brandy, figs, prunes, and apricots--seemingly of the canned variety. No apricot could be tasted. An altogether heavy, sodden, and fatty disappointment. Veggies were very strangely and unpleasantly spiced. Sometimes way too much garlic. And how can you ruin a little flowerless chocolate tart with strawberry sauce and whipped cream? By not using real cocoa-based chocolate and instead some chemical, weak, nasty simulacrum. Waitress was nice, however.
- DiDiTuTuVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Good food and I really like the tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A splendid place!MerrySeniorDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed restaurant week at Solea. It has been a long while since we were there, and we found that during that time it was even better. The food and atmosphere were so European, authentic, and excellent. Such a treasure!Special Features:
- Good dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, 3 tapas and oceano fideaus, and service was good, but it was too noisy for our taste to enjoy dinner. we were 3 of us and was sat in the middle of the back dinning room surrounded by large loud groups, with people constantly passing by our table.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceJennVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have been here twice now. Both times blown away by the quality of their service. Food wax good with a large and creative tapas menu. Things did seem a little under seasoned this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insanely fabulous as alwaysRangreenDined on 8/23/2014Been here for years and have never been disappointed! What might be too 'spicy' for one person is perfect for another. That's the only reason to share. I'm a foodie, have tried every restaurant in the area but can always count on solea to deliver! Restaurant week or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated tapasFoodCriticDined on 8/23/2014Solea is a local Waltham gem that serves delightfully sophisticated Spanish tapas in a European setting opening on a very American Main Street. The convertible window/walls that connect to the street-scene provide more than fresh air, but rather add to the ambience that accompanies the edible cultural choices. Whether you choose the fixed price tapas menu or order your tapas a la carte, you will not be disappointed. Sizzling shrimp, chicken livers, empanadas, tenderloin with chimichurri sauce, and baby lamb chops are all winners. But the roasted duck in berry sauce is irresistible. Neither fatty nor dried out, the duck shines in its fruit sauce like a light in your mouth!Special Features:
- Street Noise AwfulNoisyDined on 8/22/2014The food was good but overpriced and consisted of extremely small portions. Margaritas were delicious but served in a wine glass which was way too small. Waiter was accommodating making several trips. My friend had to keep asking for bread since he never felt full after each tapas. They should keep front windows closed. Very loud street noise. Buses, motorcycles, scooters, police fire and ambulance all interfered with conversation. This type of restaurant belongs in a quieter off main street location.
- tapas lunchfrenchyDined on 8/22/2014Always get the soup of the day. Gazpacho excellent. Stuffed Polano pepper was different and tasty. The almond cherry flan...mmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome to SpainHdhejVIPDined on 8/22/2014Okay, so it isn't Spain, but might as well be the closest I get to Spain. This place serves outstanding dishes with simple spices, but very favorable. The cost of the plates reflect the quality of the food. The amounts are good for Tapas and price is reasonable for the quantity and taste. I like to do 3-4 Tapas. Yes, that is about $40. I have not had something that I disliked here. I don't think you can go wrong. I will say that the service can get busy and cooking food to order takes time, so plan on a leisurely lunch or dinner. There was some big rice dish with all kinds of meats and seafood, but that takes 30 minutes to cook! That is okay, just plan on spending more time. The food is worth the wait.Special Features:
- pickypickyVIPDined on 8/19/2014we went for restaurant week. the $38 was a good value BUT it was so much food. financially we would have been better just ordering off the menu. artichoke & mushroom & bluecheese appetizer was great. Pork & bluecheese & mushroom was great. Duck was very good but I thought too sweet sauce: others liked it. Steak was delicious. dessert of Flan had some sweet sauce. choc cake was good. 3 leche was dry. However overall I enjoyed the meal very much & will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of flavor!MarKevVIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent paella! My husband & I shared the smaller portion of Valenciana paella, along with 4 different hot tapas. It was a little too much for us, but we were happy to doggy bag the paella. My favorite of the tapas was liver w/ bacon! Yum!! This visit we opted for a bottle of the special wine that was recommended by our waiter. It went perfectly w/ Spanish dish. While the food was awesome, service, however, could've been better. He was great in the beginning, but kinda disappeared once the food started to arrive. That made me recall our last visit here a year ago, it was basically the same: great food, but not so great on the service. It's really too bad...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually a favorite but...Proggirl2Dined on 8/15/2014This is usually my place of choice for get togethers with friends and co-workers. There is a huge variety of food and sharing is encouraged... And Sangria is to die for.. But this time I think our server was not the greatest. Food came to the table late and cold and they brought the wrong Sangria and it was watered down. Don't know if the problem was that this time we went at lunch when usually we go after work.Special Features:
- tablepour2VIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent liver and empanada! We were celebrating and waitress quickly adjusted to our slower pace for ordering and allowed us to enjoy a pitcher of sangria until all arrived then we toasted with champagne. One person ordered for the table and we had a medley of great small plates and end with paella. It was a wonderful night. We'd been several times in past and it has always been good but this time the food was just outstanding. Doors were open and although the street noise was loud it was vibrant and fun. Place was hopping. Definitely a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Local, Good, Exotic, and Normal!AK87VIPDined on 8/11/2014Great spot for a team dinner to try new things, but also have some normalcy! Great local find. Cheaper and easier to get to than comparable restaurants in Boston.Special Features:
- deliciousmrslambsDined on 8/10/2014Tried some new dishes. Brazilian bread-outstanding. Pork loin-outstanding. Chicken livers-just OK. Strange seasoning.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewAnonymousDined on 8/5/2014We were seated promptly by a friendly hostess, and the food we ordered arrived speedily. The food was good, not great. Our waitress never refilled our water glasses over a 2-hour period. A table of young women next to us were screaming with laughter, making it difficult for us to hear the people talking at our own table. Overall, a good-enough but not great experience.Special Features:
- Tasty Tapas in Walthamwant2pickDined on 8/2/2014Solea is my favorite restaurant in on Moody Street in Waltham. There are so many yummy tapas to choose from: delicious combinations and all very fresh. It's great to order a few tapas at a time until you're satisfied and why not get a pitcher of sangria? The decor is somewhat elegant/exotic but dress is very casual. The place is very spacious and there is a separate bar area.Special Features:
- Could be excellent, but some flawswaterdogDined on 8/2/2014I would have rated Solea at 5 stars and called the food excellent, were it not for one problem. The meats were very overcooked. For example, the lamb chops were so charred that the charred taste overwhelmed what would have been a delicious little treat. I admit I should have sent them back, but it was late and I didn't really want to wait for another order to come out. The pork was the same way, though perhaps not quite as extreme. The seafood, however, was excellent, perfectly done, and the sauces on all the dishes were excellent. Restaurants need to learn that just putting the burned side down when the meat is served does not make it OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the guysDonnyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Had a guys night out on Friday Aug 1st. Our server Ally was great. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed our mealHappyVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was our first time here and we will definitely return soon. The tapas choices are good except some healthy vegetable choices are needed. The scallops were the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty Spanish foodSuburbanDinerDined on 7/19/2014Excellent place for tapas, good quality wine, great margaritas and sangria. We enjoyed a corner table with four of us and shared small plates, which were all good, solid and mostly tasty. Gluten-free menu had great range, but still had some hiccups as two plates came with gluten-rich bread, which brought the rest of the plates into question for our guests with celiac. (Bread basket to a table where two of four are gluten-intolerant is something that should be handled by the host and service staff!) Shrimp in garlic was rich, sparkling and tasty; collards were perfectly prepared; chroizo was spicy and just the right amount of spice. However, we wanted more edge, more boldness. Wonder if the placement in the suburbs discourages that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Business LunchHdhejVIPDined on 7/18/2014We went out for a business lunch and had the best time here. They set us up in a quiet room with our group of 7 people. We each ordered 2-3 tapas and a large rice dish for the table. They informed us that this dish takes 30 minutes to cook, but with the timing of the tapas, this would come at the end of the meal. Everything was delicious and well timed. The server was right on target with drinks and the food couldn't have been better. What a great time!Special Features: