Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
388 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.solearestaurant.com/
- Phone: (781) 894-1805
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Brunson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Solea can accommodate groups of 20-250. Call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Coleen Noonan; Hope Alvarez 7818941805
A word from Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Solea offers a warm Mediterranean atmosphere with its richly colored walls, mosaics and sparkling lamps. It is the perfect destination for a quick bar snack, an after work gathering or a celebratory dinner. Private spaces are available for formal sit-down dinners, casual buffets, or cocktail receptions for groups of 25-250 people. The menu includes over 40 tapas (Spanish appetizers and entrees. The bar offerings range from : traditional sangria, Latino cocktails, and wines from Spain, Portugal, Chile, and Argentina.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solea Restaurant and Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (81)special occasion (60)romantic (49)hot spot (25)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (14)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- so-so on some things, good on othersOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/20/2014The short ribs were dry and the service was ok, becoming much slower once more people arrived. The cocktails were delicious and the interior inviting. The food was fine but nothing i havent had somewhere else. Next time I would sit at the bar and not be on a timetable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I freely bring friends family and clients to SoleamacgroupDined on 11/15/2014Each visit is a friendly and pleasant experience. The wait staff are knowledgeable, friendly and bilingual. Besides Spain, Tapas can be enjoyed here, which is wonderful thanks to Solea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014We were looking for a restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday. I suggested the restaurant even though I had dined there the previous weekend with my husband. I made several calls to the restaurant to make changes to the reservation and the hostess was very accommodating. Two of the diners were vegetarian so I was provided with the opportunity to try more of the vegetarian options than I normally would. The patatas bravas are a favourite of mine and they were wonderful as always. The poblano relleno was amazing and was a major hit with the group. The service was friendly and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an awesome meal!ES17Dined on 11/7/2014We have been to Solea a number of times and enjoyed an amazing date night here Friday night. My favorite tapas of the night were a tie between the duck and the sautéed artichokes. We split a bottle of wine which brought up the bill a bit, but our meal was very affordable considering all we ordered. Everything was delicious. The service was excellent as always. All around a perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful SuprisehutchDined on 11/7/2014Our family was visiting Waltham for the first time to look at Bentley University, and went to Solea based on TripAdvisor's recommendation. The food was wonderful....we are big tapas fans, but any one would be happy eating there. The restaurant is made up of several large connected rooms and all were full but the noise level was fine. Service was prompt, cocktails just right,and all the food, including desert, was excellent. Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable. Definitely go, and make reservations. Parking can be a bit tricky so leave time to find a spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodHappyVIPDined on 11/6/2014This was our second time here and it was even better. We had the clams, duck, pork, and collard greens. The crepe and coffee were delicious. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!HdhejVIPDined on 11/6/2014Just love this place. There are so many options. The Paella is the best I have ever had and worth the 30 minute wait. You have to get one for your group. The large ones are pretty big. We got a small one for 4 of us and then ordered two tapas each. This was a perfect combination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBridge3Dined on 11/1/2014This was our second time here and we loved it. Food is tasty; love tapas as you get to taste everything! Service was good and they did a good job taking care of a gluten free person and a dairy allergy. Thank you! If we didn't live in RI, we'd be back more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our waitress was not very attentive or friendly and we sat for long periods of time waiting for drinks or to orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unplanned DinnerfoodiwillleaduguruDined on 10/25/2014My sister and I were trying to find a place to eat last minute that has relatively healthy and delicious options. She suggested Solea and although I grew up eating Mexican food, I found Solea's Spanish cuisine a nice change in pace. I was even able to get a quick and easy reservation through Open Table for that night. Absolutely no regrets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent, friendly service and delicious food!....we definitely plan to return to your fine establishment!Special Features:
- More bland than I was expectinghungryicaDined on 10/17/2014I went out here on a Friday night. Service was friendly and prompt. My friend and I each wanted a glass of the berry sangria, so our waiter suggested a pitcher. The sangria tasted like it hardly had any wine in it (I'm a lightweight and hardly felt anything after a glass and a half). The shrimp tapas that I got were delicious—grilled perfectly with a great spicy sauce. The other tapas and soup were bland and seemed expensive for what you got. By 8:00 p.m., is got pretty loud and I found myself having to shout a little so my friend could hear me.Special Features:
- Fun night out!babolatcourtDined on 10/11/2014This is a great date night out, but it would also be a fun night out with a group of friends. The service was fabulous and the food was delicious. There were so many fun choices on the menu, the food had great flavor, and the restaurant had an upbeat atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We love Solea. We've been going for years. But this time the food was really under seasoned. We will certainly go back again but we hope the chef and his/her staff will season the food properly. it was really bland. This is a fun restaurant with a great atmosphere and we have always rave about the food. We recommend it to our friends. But if the food continues to be what we experienced this weekend I'm not sure we'll continue to recommend it.Special Features:
- Our favorite place!RriverariveraDined on 10/10/2014We were at Solea for our 10th anniversary celebration and they were as charming and lovely as ever. We love the food and they are always friendly...it is like going home. The whole ambience is very inviting, from the decor to the music. Our favorites tapas are butifarras con brevas, palta reina, gambas al ajillo and tostadas de alcachofas. That is why we keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solea an Unexpected TreatRLWfromILVIPDined on 10/7/2014We were in the Waltham area on business and were pleasantly surprised by the great recommendation from our business colleague to try Solea. When we come to the Boston area from the Midwest, we expect not to "waste" a meal on anything that does not involve fresh seafood. However, tapas is one of our favorite foods owing to the ability to try so many flavors in small format servings, so we "violated our rule". Solea did not disappoint us or make us regret skipping seafood for ONE meal! :) We thoroughly enjoyed the variety of flavors and offerings, though we did find some of the 'sangrias' to be a bit artificial...but sangria is so much about personal preference! We will definitely go again the next time we are in the area!Special Features:
- My first timeRichDined on 10/5/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. I found the staff very helpful and friendly and the food was outstanding. I would go there again eagerly.Special Features:
- LOVE LOVEAngieDined on 9/30/2014Great vibe, wonderful food, amazing atmosphere!! I always come here, great salsa music, staff is very friendly and drinks are strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid tapasMichaelVIPDined on 9/27/2014The tapas is exceptionally good here. The restaurant itself gets a bit loud when it starts to fill up, so quiet conversation is not on the menu. 2 to 3 tapas per person is perfect. Most of the dishes split well between two people. There are many options to satisfy all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodReally12Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed the eclectic mix of options from the tapas menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, but priceyyummytimeDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, elegant decor, warm and friendly ambiance, good service and fun tapas concept, ...but watch out because the small plates add up fast ($$$) and $26 for a carafe of fruit juice...er...sangria is really pushing it. I would return for all the positives, but will order less and skip the sangria.Special Features:
- ComfortableSorceressCaptainDined on 9/23/2014The menu has many options as does the wine list.... That being said, a couple of our dishes came out room temp at best, It is a bigger place than you would expect and even though it has several "rooms", It was still a bit noisy. It is not fine dining..... But even still the wait staff could use a little brush up training. Overall not a terrible experience, the food was flavorful and presented well but I would have preferred items to arrive hot off the stove. I felt as though they may have been prepared in advance or left to sit too long before arriving at our table. It is the combination of factors that prevents me from giving a higher rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, rushed by the serversOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Food is consistently good. Service is consistently questionable. On arriving we asked to be seated with a server who wasn't going to rush us out (this had happened before) and were assured the kitchen stayed open until 11. It being 7:30 one would assume it'd be fine....come 10 the server was hovering. Also, it was odd as our server continually reached over the table - saying 'pardon my reach' but there was easy access around all sides. For a restaurant with European styling there is a distinctly 'in and done' American flavor to the wait staff, At least this time the server didn't hover clicking a pen as the time before!
- JillJillDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated a birthday with some young professionals. Food and service were excellent. Sangria was fabulous but the pitchers are loaded with ice so didn't serve as many as we hoped. It was busy, a little noisy but had a nice ambiance and the round tables allowed for comfortable conversation and sharing small plates. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodDined on 9/17/2014The food here was really good, and they were very accommodating of our group for my friends birthday. I am a picky eater, but their specials blew me away.Special Features:
- SOLEA BEST TAPASOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014We have been to many tapa restaurants, including Barcelona Spain. Solea comes in at the top of the list with flavor, variety and authenticity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BentleyMomDined on 9/6/2014As a family of 4 we tried 10 tapas items (including some of the daily specials), the vegetable paella (amazing) and 4 desserts. Every bite was delicious!! Service was outstanding - our waitress was friendly and attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food....great timeynotgoDined on 8/31/2014The four of us enjoyed Solea immensely....our waitress was excellent, making sure that the various tapas came out in an orderly procession!!! Would return for sure.Special Features:
- Love the Paella!LA94022VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great atmosphere, living & fun! Solea was recommended to us by our friends' friends. We were dropping our daughter off at college and wanted to meet our friends for a festive dining experience. The waitress was super friendly and warm but missed on a few service no-brainers such as forgetting one person's wine and repeatedly changed the order that our food was coming out. Ultimately the tapas were good but the paella was great!Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Have dined at solea at least 10 times, always a great meal with great service A little pricey....Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningDiningoutDined on 8/29/2014With the open windows and lovely plantings, Solea creates a European environment for dining. The food was delicious and the service excellent. Prices were also very reasonable. Terrific white sangria!Special Features:
- soggy and soddenotiseatingDined on 8/28/2014One dish arrived cold and had to be sent back for heating. A medium rare order produced a blood-red hunk of beef. That steak, overfatty, was presented in a pan with a one-inch high combination of cooked cream, brandy, figs, prunes, and apricots--seemingly of the canned variety. No apricot could be tasted. An altogether heavy, sodden, and fatty disappointment. Veggies were very strangely and unpleasantly spiced. Sometimes way too much garlic. And how can you ruin a little flowerless chocolate tart with strawberry sauce and whipped cream? By not using real cocoa-based chocolate and instead some chemical, weak, nasty simulacrum. Waitress was nice, however.
- DiDiTuTuVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Good food and I really like the tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A splendid place!MerrySeniorDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed restaurant week at Solea. It has been a long while since we were there, and we found that during that time it was even better. The food and atmosphere were so European, authentic, and excellent. Such a treasure!Special Features:
- Good dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food, 3 tapas and oceano fideaus, and service was good, but it was too noisy for our taste to enjoy dinner. we were 3 of us and was sat in the middle of the back dinning room surrounded by large loud groups, with people constantly passing by our table.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceJennVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have been here twice now. Both times blown away by the quality of their service. Food wax good with a large and creative tapas menu. Things did seem a little under seasoned this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insanely fabulous as alwaysRangreenDined on 8/23/2014Been here for years and have never been disappointed! What might be too 'spicy' for one person is perfect for another. That's the only reason to share. I'm a foodie, have tried every restaurant in the area but can always count on solea to deliver! Restaurant week or not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated tapasFoodCriticDined on 8/23/2014Solea is a local Waltham gem that serves delightfully sophisticated Spanish tapas in a European setting opening on a very American Main Street. The convertible window/walls that connect to the street-scene provide more than fresh air, but rather add to the ambience that accompanies the edible cultural choices. Whether you choose the fixed price tapas menu or order your tapas a la carte, you will not be disappointed. Sizzling shrimp, chicken livers, empanadas, tenderloin with chimichurri sauce, and baby lamb chops are all winners. But the roasted duck in berry sauce is irresistible. Neither fatty nor dried out, the duck shines in its fruit sauce like a light in your mouth!Special Features:
- Street Noise AwfulNoisyDined on 8/22/2014The food was good but overpriced and consisted of extremely small portions. Margaritas were delicious but served in a wine glass which was way too small. Waiter was accommodating making several trips. My friend had to keep asking for bread since he never felt full after each tapas. They should keep front windows closed. Very loud street noise. Buses, motorcycles, scooters, police fire and ambulance all interfered with conversation. This type of restaurant belongs in a quieter off main street location.
- tapas lunchfrenchyDined on 8/22/2014Always get the soup of the day. Gazpacho excellent. Stuffed Polano pepper was different and tasty. The almond cherry flan...mmmmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.