105 Elm St
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://soleofnewcanaan.com/
- Phone: 2039728887
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Albert DeAngelis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sole
Whether you unwind with a glass of Pinot Grigio at the bar that encircles the exposed kitchen, or linger at a table for two beneath a striking arbor inspired by an Italian vineyard, you’ll be swept away by Solé. This sophisticated trattoria, located on Elm Street in the picturesque New England town of New Canaan, Connecticut, serves handmade pastas, wood-fired pizzas, and succulent entrees in a relaxed, yet utterly cosmopolitan setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sole reviews from OpenTable diners
- Always dependablerrg1Dined on 9/29/2013Consistently good food & great service. Great ambianceSpecial Features:
- We hadn't eaten at Sole forAnnie2Dined on 9/27/2013We hadn't eaten at Sole for 2 years even though we live so close to it. At that time, we decided not to go back because the service was just awful. The servers were rude, arrogant, and once your food was served, they couldn't seem to wait until you finished. This time, the service was quite good, but the food was at most, average. Nothing special about it - and the serving sizes had shrunk so that my family just laughed. Not going back.
- poor, slow servicetaraDined on 9/22/2013we had an early reservation (6:30) in order to get home to watch the Emmy's and we didn't leave until 8:30 because the food took way too long to come. Our waiter didn't ask for our order for approximately 20 mins after we arrived. He couldn't manage the number of tables he was serving. I wouldn't go back there.
- To Die ForepicuriousDined on 9/21/2013Last minute ressie and great call. Started with watermelon, tomato and burrata salad - flavors burst in your mouth - tanginess of the tomato with the smoothness of the cheese and the fresh sweet taste of the watermelon - ok we're off to a good start. Parmesan crusted halibut followed - small nutty pieces of filet, perfectly cooked, warm bed of spinach, just yummy. Had hubby finish my fish so I could try dessert. Warm chocolate brownie - sounds easy but far from Betty Crocker - ooey gooey chocolate - almost lava like - so good. Will definitely go back and try some of the other restaurants in this group. Thank you Open Table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2013Great evening. Started with the organic greens salad which was particularly fresh and perfectly dressed. Followed up with the scallop ravioli with roasted cauliflower, zucchini and almonds. It was fabulous! Will definitely be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For years Has been our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2013For years Has been our favorite restaurant in Fairfield County . The owners recently updated the interior which adds a better ambience and helps to control the noise level. Also added a new chef who adds a new dimension to favorite recipes. Consistently delicious and fun!Special Features:
- We'll be backMrsMunchDined on 8/23/2013This was our second time at this wonderful restaurant and the second fantastic meal we've had. Next time, we'll try the woodfired pizza! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barcelona RocksTravelerVIPDined on 8/13/2013Tried Barcelona for the first time (traveling to Stamford for a few months and staying in local hotels). Small Plates were fabulous, especially bacon wrapped mushrooms, mussels, Jamon Manchego, spiced beef empinadas, and unbelievably fresh heirloom tomato salad. Ask for Sophia, and don't forget to try their sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sole scoresOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013Went with a friend for dinner on a Saturday night. We both shared chowder and salad as appetizers and each had seafood for the main course. Glass of wine too. Everything was delicious and the service was gracious and just the right speed. Loved the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Placejim44Dined on 7/30/2013Nice place to take a first date, noise level is good, nice ambiance, good service, nice selection of wines, and good food in lovely downtown New Cannon setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish is fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2013I'm never disappointed in the food here and the fish is especially wonderful. I have never had a meal here that wasn't really good!Special Features:
- Sole ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2013My son is a foodie, enjoys good food, and it was his birthday. A friend who eats out often suggested this restaurant. When we first arrived, the menu was set up in a different format, took a few moments to decipher. Food was presented well, delicious, above our expectations.. Wait staff was very attentive. I forgot my umbrella and our waitress found us and returned it before we left. We would return and suggest to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our standby never lets us downRStoneVIPDined on 6/29/2013We can eat at Sole once or twice a week and are never, ever disappointed, bored or have a lesser experience than other times. That is truly amazing.....You can eat a healthy meal, dine leisurely or get out in a hurry to make a movie, order an expensive bottle of wine or not (and be treated no differently). This restaurant defines Neighborhood Gen.Special Features:
- Loud and had to wait 20 minsLiliuDined on 6/6/2013Sole is always too loud....but food is good and so is the staff."so it is a tradeoff......didnt expect such a long wait with reservations....Special Features:
- Our standby favoriteRStoneVIPDined on 5/30/2013Whether for special occasion or Thursday night after the gym (as this was), your meal at Sole is sure to be outstanding. The roasted chicken from the wood oven is a perpetual favorite but the pizzas, pastas and fish also are stand outs. The menu changes regularly and don't dismiss the specials which are always showcasing what's freshest and at its seasonal best. Sole is the best restaurant with consistently excellent food and service in New Canaan (and Pound Ridge).Special Features:
- Dependable good food and servicerrg1Dined on 5/19/2013Great menu. Consistent good service and good wine list.Special Features:
- AlwaysCherylDined on 5/18/2013I live in Greenwich, CT and it is always a pleasure to visit Sole in New Canaan. It is always excellent and fun. The food is Fabulous!
- Much improvedDanHVIPDined on 5/14/2013Sole had gotten a little long in the tooth and was known for it's indifferent service. New competition seems to have caused a reset at the restaurant. The decor is new and attractive, the menu is improved and service levels are very good. We'll start going again regularly after giving up for a few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Treat at SoleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013Sole was such a wonderful treat on Mother's Day. The food and service were excellent. The modern decor was refreshing and the banquette made comfortable seating for four people. My son enjoyed the flank steak salad entree which was quite unique. We have not seen that on a menu before. My lamb was cooked to perfection and all food was plated beautifully. My husband's mussel appetizer was fresh and tasty; they were the best mussels we have ever had in a restaurant. All the pasta dishes were well prepared and delicious. We will definitely return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Entrees great, but mediocre appetizNewEnglanderDined on 5/11/2013Charming restaurant with good atmosphere. Entrees were great (although relatively small portions). Appetizers were mediocre at best. Did not try any soup. We would return and skip the appetizers for a soup or salad alternative to start the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Good foodCTJerseyBoyDined on 5/4/2013Expectations were high when we entered the beautiful room, packed with diners and received excellent service quickly. (read got a drink fast) The food was beautifully presented and while good, did not have the wow factor we expected. I would probably give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful food, ok serviceBetsyknitVIPDined on 5/2/2013WHy do they always pay lots of attention until you ask for the check? And then they forget you?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Dinner as well as LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2013I have eaten at Sole twice - once for dinner with my wife and our friends, and once for a cordial lunch discussion with an associate. In both cases Sole performed beautifully on all fronts: the food is superb, the service is excellent, and the ambaince is perfect.Special Features:
- excellent food and knowledgableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013excellent food and knowledgable and friendly service. Still a little noisey even after they redecorated. It is a busy place.Special Features:
- Really like Sole - althoughvickiVIPDined on 3/29/2013Really like Sole - although I asked for a table on the wall up front and four of us ended out in a semi circle booth which was a bit awkward and would probably be better if you had chairs on the outside of the semi circle for a party of 6 or 7/Special Features:
- food and service are consistentlyLbepVIPDined on 3/24/2013food and service are consistently good which keeps us going back again and again!Special Features:
- We were there on a MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013We were there on a Monday evening and enjoyed a glass of wine, salad, mussels and pizza at the bar near the brick oven. Very good food. Some friends stopped in and had a glass of wine with us. Fun and relaxed atmosphere. Staff was great.Special Features:
- Sole is always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2013Once again, a wonderful lunch at Sole. Always love the $15 express lunch. Great size portions and good choices and the service is always attentive and friendly. I love the pounded chicken Milanese and the salads are always fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Perfect choice for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013Wanted to surprise my wife for Valentine's Day and take her out to dinner and Sole in New Canaan,CT was an excellent choice. We had never been there before and Open Table helped me make this choice. They had a full menu which was surprising. Most restaurants on Valentine's Day and Mother's Day pretty much give you limited choices and smaller portions and higher prices. It was refeshing to see a full menu loaded with choices and specials that sounded so good. The ambiance is warm and the service was excellent. The food was very good. This restaurant is perfect for a special occasion or to go and relax. They also have pizza on the menu which I want to try one day for take out. This is a keeper!!Special Features:
- My wife and I come here often.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013My wife and I come here often. Food always solid, great wine by the glass and service that is just right. Even our 3-year old enjoys it here. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Food was quite good. My daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/17/2013Food was quite good. My daughter loved the pizza which came out in about 10 mins. We all had pastas and enjoyed them. It is new canaan so its not cheap but we will go back. Server was attentive and friendly except when my mother learned that one of the apps was really a soup which wasn't clear on the menu. She then asked what they had for salads. The server did tell her but made a comment about reading the menu to know what was on it. Just not necessary.Special Features:
- Rushed out the Door.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/12/2013The decor is warm and elegant. The waiter staff was fast and attentive (with exception, our main waiter misinformed us on one of the dishes we ordered). Unfortunately, although the food was good, the portions were too small for the price. The place got very loud after 6:30pm and people were standing at the door staring at diners. It was somewhat unpleasant but, I have to say that the worse part was that the maitre d' and waiters kept on coming to our table (six times) asking if they could get us the bill, our coats, etc., while we were in the middle of having desert and coffee. We felt rushed and practically 'pushed' out the door.
- fresh food! helpful waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013fresh food! helpful wait staff! hard working employees! thank you!Special Features:
- I love sole - my only complaintdylan2314VIPDined on 12/21/2012I love sole - my only complaint was that my salmon was TINY. Like, 6 bites tiny. For $30 salmon, they can do better than that. My father had eaten here the week before and said his salmon was tiny, but didn't tell me until after I had dined. Wine and apps were great though, and I love sitting at the bar.
- With the addition of boothsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2012With the addition of booths and wood paneling on the ceiling, it has cut down a fair amount of the noise level. It gives Sole a much more cozy feeling to it.
- Don't know WHY I waited soleftmyheartVIPDined on 11/15/2012Don't know WHY I waited so long to try this - WOW! Best short ribs ever! Service is great too.Special Features:
- Consistently good ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012Consistently good Italian food, great service. One of my local favorites.Special Features:
- Wonderful Italian RestaurantncrnVIPDined on 10/31/2012Sole is a neighborhood gem - great food, lovely ambiance and friendly, unpretentious service. A glass of delicious malbec alongside the pasta bolognese was the perfect comfort meal to overcome the recent weather related stressful days. The red wine beef ravioli with parsnips was also a wonderful seasonal dish. You can't go wrong with this restaurant but make a reservation - it gets very busy!Special Features:
- We dined at Sole a few nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/5/2012We dined at Sole a few nights ago. The host couldn't find our Opentable reservation, but they had room for us anyways. The decor was nice. The server told us if something was "good" or "not my favorite", but couldn't actually describe any of the dishes. The host was also the purported wine expert, but the best descriptions he could give of various bottles were similar to those of the server on food. Our dishes were left to languish on the table for a long time. The food was okay. For the price, I would expect better food and service. No highchair, so also not very kid-friendly, although the staff were all very nice to our child.