Solare Ristorante Lounge
2820 Roosevelt Road
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Solare Ristorante Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solarelounge.com/
- Phone: 6192709670x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday/ 11:30am -4pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday/ 4:00pm - 10pm
Dinner only: Sunday/ 4:30pm - 10pm.
COOKING CLASS schedule on
CLOSED: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Accursio Lota
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: PRIVATE ROOMS are available for up to 100 guests. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-270-9670 or vist our website for more information.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Thursday Night at 8:30pm
- Special Events: Please contact us to learn more about our Cooking Classes and Team Building events. GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE!!!!
A word from Solare Ristorante Lounge
Voted Best Italian Restaurant and Best Chef (Accursio Lotà) for 2014 by San Diego Magazine! The setting, service, decor and ambiance in this historic Liberty Station location is like no other. Family-owned and operated, Randy Smerik and his team work hard to offer an amazing dining experience for you. We believe in the use of local fresh organic produce, natural meat and wild seafood and we are a "Sustainable Green Restaurant". Each dish is prepared from scratch with love and passion to satisfy our customer's heart and soul.Continued
Housed in the filming location for Top Gun, Solare helps to sustain the historical landmarks of San Diego's NTC Promenade.
Housed in the filming location for Top Gun, Solare helps to sustain the historical landmarks of San Diego's NTC Promenade.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Solare Ristorante Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (39)romantic (32)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (19)great for lunch (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- great for lunchJeffTVIPDined on 8/29/2014Ended up trying their pizza, which was good. Wine is very good and they have 1/2 off bottle Tuesdays. I really like the look of inside. I haven't been there during happy hour. They seem to have some good other selections, but no real meat sauces or dishes with meat. They are a bit pricey for their main courses for lunch as well. Still good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wantingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The service though friendly had a skill level far below what you would expect for the menu, ambiance, and prices. The waiter had had to go to the kitchen to get a question answered about the menu, proceeded to deliver coffee and bills to other tables and when returning did not have an answer due to the chef being out. After another long trip to the kitchen the question was answered. Preferring beer, my unused wineglass was not cleared until desert was delivered. Similarly, the appetizer and bread plates created a sort of juggling act for the staff once the entree arrived. The food was good and the atmosphere nice. The staff is friendly, just inexperienced and unmanaged.Special Features:
- stdineDined on 8/22/2014It's been a longtime since I visited Solare. I'm wondering why I didn't make it a regular watering hole. the food is fabulous. My husband who is a picky eater loved his meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Sicilian food I have ever had.HarryHoutmanDined on 8/22/2014This spot is my go to for great Italian food. I have returned time and time again, still have not been dissapointed. My favorite on the menu is their osso buco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I have been craving risotto for the longest time. We were told that Solare's made a really good risotto, we decided to give them a try. We have been here for lunch, but risotto is only offered for dinner. I ordered the risotto and my wife ordered the ossobuco. Both of the meals were outstanding. Service was outstanding as well. It was well worth the drive down from Vista, CA, which is about 45 minutes away. Will make the trip more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solare is fabulous!KarenDined on 8/14/2014Each dish is better than the last and the last is always delicious. Service is among the best in San Diego. Do not hesitate to go here as you will be a happy diner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!Bon47Dined on 8/9/2014We picked Solare for our anniversary dinner, and we're so glad we did. Had a great time....good food, wonderful service. We've been to Solare before, and it never disappoints. Our server was very good, so friendly and helpful. I had the wonderful Spaghetti a la Aragosta (with Lobster) and my husband had the Pappardelle. The dessert was the Crostini, a dark chocolate tart......so-o-o-o good!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014This was my first dining experience with Solare and it has now become my favorite Italian restaurant. There are so many things on the menu I want to go back and try. The food is fresh and very tasty. Service is professional, friendly and helpful. The ambience is warm and comfortable. I recommend this to anyone interested in great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great foodbirthdayDined on 8/2/2014I had the venison lasagna it was great and I am not really a lasagna person but it rainy out and it just sounded good. I also had the ceasar salad and it was really good too nice roman lettuces, and alot of parm cheese on the salad. overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive menusdmimiDined on 8/1/2014The menu is really fun! The food was beautifully prepared and presented. Employees are very proud of their family base and their food to table menu. If you want to talk, go early or late or sit outside as the noise level is quite energetic!Special Features:
- Food Very Good; service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014After much research decided to make Solare one of our three San Diego dining spots during a trip from Boston. Inauspicious beginning as it was several minutes before we were greeted after being shown to the table (by a very courteous hostess) and nearly 30 minutes before we had cocktails in hand. The server could be described as indfferent at best--rushed through the specials, had to be flagged down for drink refills, never checked back after the courses were served, etc... While the food was very good (although, in general, could use a touch more seasoning), it is often the overall experience that brings people back or prompts them to refer a friend.
- Great Evening with FriendselwoodDined on 7/25/2014We knew that we were meeting friends for dinner yet we met even more at Solare. Both the Manager and the Owner dropped by to make sure the meal was perfect (it was) and to chat about Italy. I had requested a special spot on Open Table and sure enough we were offered that spot. It was a memorable evening, great wine, food and friends.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceTswagDined on 7/24/2014We hosted a Meetup here to watch the free Jazz performance on Thursday nights. It was phenomenal! The staff was engaging and the service was excellent. Even the band engaged the crowd and took request. They have a happy hour of half off pizzas and the pizza was great too. Overall, this is a great location for groups and a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014This was our second time at Solare. Food was great and the wine selection was awesome. The first time we were there, we told the waiter we wanted to take our time and enjoy the different courses. This time, we told the waiter the same time and he was a little pushy and said that if we don't get our orders in he couldn't guarentee we'd be served in a timely manner. That would be fine if we weren't looking to enjoy a long romantic meal, and I don't think he was receptive to our desires.Special Features:
- Italian experienceNory58Dined on 7/17/2014Great place if you like real Italian cuisine. Petra is very nice and professional in explaining the menu and suggesting dishes. The food was outstanding. very tasteful and very well presented. Ok live band but it make difficult di make conversation at the table.Special Features:
- We love coming hereTimandKimDined on 7/17/2014This was our third visit since finding Solare quite by chance a few months ago. We came to celebrate my fiance's birthday, and once again, Solare did not disappoint. We enjoyed three tasty appetizers, a tangy and flavorful pizza, and a marvelous eggplant dish. We also had a couple of different Pinots - each very different from the other, but both worked well either by themselves or with our food. Our server Francois (imagine - a French waiter in an Italian place) made friends with us, was engaged yet appropriately discreet, made great recommendations, and kept our experience lively. We came early for dinner, so the place was pretty quiet - but know that once things get hopping, the noise is sometimes considerable. Thanks again, Solare!Special Features:
- Italian Delight1breakfastloverDined on 7/13/2014We dined at Solare before a concert and couldn't have been more pleased. Three of us ordered the pasta with fennel sausage and it was tasty, balanced and perfectly prepared. Our fourth ordered the osso bucco and loved it. Yummy bread with oil for dipping to start plus a perfect Caesar salad. Not surprised that Solare boasts a San Diego top chef. Attentive service. Don't sit outside as the restaurant is right under a flight path!Special Features:
- Italian gemJanpDined on 7/12/2014This is my second time dining at Solare. My husband and I took our daughter and son-in-law to celebrate their anniversary on this visit. We ate in the lounge area as we wanted to order appetizers from the happy hour menu which is not available in the main dining room. The room is quite noisy, which is to be expected, but the food is superb. The fresh pasta is fantastic and the pork ossobucco, which my son-in-law had, was the best he said he has ever eaten. Save room for dessert--we had three different ones, all quite yummy. We will definitely be returning and would like to try sitting out on the patio next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014We came for lunch & the restaurant was very pretty inside but somewhat dark for eating lunch. It would be a nice atmosphere in the evening. Our group was too large to sit outside which would have been sunnier. The food was excellent & the wait staff warm, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolaretrixiefigDined on 7/11/2014Have been dining here since its inception. Always our go to place. Solare recently changed ownership and the food is just as mouth watering if not better. Really didn't think that was possible!Special Features:
- 5 Star Food 3 Star PricesCG2KGDined on 7/10/2014Organic produce, local ranchers and local fish. Wow. Food was amazing. I read an earlier reivew that the prices were high, clearly the person who wrote it goes to sports bars and places that give you food like a lumberjack. Solare doesn't spare quality for quantity. The portions are perfect, ambience amazing and the wait staff wonderful. When a server or busser was at our table, they were spot on, friendly and very informative. When dinner was finished and we lingered at our table, no rush, the wait staff asked if there was anything we needed and refilled our water glasses. On a down side, they were busy and forgot an additional glass of wine I ordered (it wasn't on the bill) and the live music never happened on Thursday?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot and nice night outPhyllisDined on 7/5/2014I've been to this restaurant several times and always enjoy it. My parpadella was overcooked this time, but generally the food is very good. We stayed for the music on Saturday night which was quite nice.Special Features:
- Fantasic Restaurant ChoiceSuperNiteDined on 7/1/2014Excellent in all categories - Food, Choices, Atmosphere, Service, Management. A dining evening that will be repeated.Special Features:
- Good not greatLCoxDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed our dinner and their freshly made pasta was great. The dishes overall however we're good but not great. My husband commented that had the atmosphere and portions of an Olive Garden (the quality of pasta was better, but maybe not of the sauces). Still, it's reasonably priced for fresh pasta and was pleasant overall, just wouldn't highly recommend for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful experiencecindiesueVIPDined on 6/19/2014Our first time to visit. We were surprised to find such a true Italian fare right in the Point Loma area. It was like visiting our favorite spot in Florence.
- Noise insidelarkoutDined on 6/15/2014Food and service great but we found inside table too noisey. They relocated us outside and all was fine.Special Features:
- Uptight waiterFrndinefanDined on 6/14/2014We were seated quickly. The hostess was very friendly; the water came quickly as did the bread basket and olive oil for dipping. The waiter seemed very tense and almost terse. Seemed a little pretentious and even defensive when I asked about the herbs that were in the ravioli dish that my husband ordered. My husband loved the dish and we were trying to figure out what this one prevalent herb was. The waiter took it that we were complaining. His statement was, "Why, is there something wrong with it?", to which we responded, "No, we were just trying to identify the one herb we could taste and I thought it was sage and my hubby was not sure." The waiter said it was sage and was barely attentive after that. Surprising reaction for waiter.Special Features:
- Perfect for out of town visitorsnativesandieganDined on 6/14/2014Took my visiting family to Solares for good food and to show them around Liberty Station. I had been there in the evening for Happy Hour and was very pleased to find a good place for lunch as well.Special Features:
- Solare RistoranteRoyceDined on 6/7/2014For a great private feel, get the wine room! Perfect for four.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backLuv2eatDined on 6/7/2014Great food. Friendly service. Convenient/historic location. We will be back next time we are in San Diego.Special Features:
- Great spot!eatingoutgalDined on 6/6/2014Home made spaghetti pasta with lobster was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Italian food & nice ambianceAmyBDined on 6/6/2014A group of 14 of us celebrated by going to Solare and we had a great time. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was fun. The service was a little slow but high quality. Understandable for a large group. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantBabs4316VIPDined on 6/5/2014Solare has a new owner and seems to be going strong. Our waiter was knowledgeable and helpful... making a very good wine recommendation. The owner stopped by and we talked for a bit, which is always nice. Food was tasty and the presentation was great. For me, the cushions on the seats were a distracting and uncomfortable issue.... The outside patio looks perfect for summer.Special Features:
- Solare disappointed...jbrowVIPDined on 5/25/2014Restaurant was not crowded, yet service was VERY slow. Pappardelle in the sausage dish described on the menu turned into fettucine on my plate. And, to boot, the sausage in the dish was not very flavorful(The restaurant did give us a free desert when the pasta issue was brought to their attention.) The multiple (at lease 3) different wine lists were confusing, and the few wines by the glass we tried were either over the hill (one wine we were given a taste of), or just not very good. On the plus side, my wife's scallops with truffle risotto was - to quote her - the best she's ever had. Coming from LA where there are lots of really great Italian restaurants, I was hoping Solare would become my new go-to restaurant. That won't happen yet.
- GreatbirthdaydinDined on 5/24/2014Loved everything at solare. It was quaint and felt really comfortable. The good was really good and I'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaineRickVIPDined on 5/11/2014Felt ignored almost the entire time we were there. Had to ask what the daily specials were. The waitress was patronizing. Viewing the other staff, it appears it is isolated to the waitress we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely family owneddbnshVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day brunch. This is the second time we went there. Service was horrible. The wait staff changed hands mid meal. This was understandable. Our server said she had to start her Mother's Day. However she proceeded to go over to the bar right next to our table and order drinks and eat a pizza. The next server just ignored is and talked to the table next to us. Not the level of service I would expect for a $165 ticket brunch for 3 people.Special Features:
- Great place.... For dinner only.rechon65Dined on 5/11/2014I went here with a friend prior, for a good event celebrating an region in Italy and the food, service, owners were amazing! HOWEVER for Mother's Day brunch, I was completely dissapointed. Their breakfast/brunch menu at 11am was mediocre and so so. Coffee served was cold, no special brunch for such a big occasion, nothing got the mothers. Not even a free or discounted mimosa. There were 4 of us and we ordered mimosas Snd spent $36 at $9/glass! Nothing special too. I went to their site and online and thought they were going to have something better... I probably will not return until they get their brunch menu way up to speed, especially on such a big day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice classy italian foodlocalVIPDined on 5/10/2014food was delicious as always. came for the jazz concert, staff seemed a little unorganized but all in all not a bad gig. I would much rather enjoy a quiet lunch here than the nightlife here for an event.Special Features:
- Mother's Day earlyKimmieDined on 5/10/2014We chose Solare because of our previous experience there to host our early Mother's Day dinner with my fiancé's 90 year old mother, visiting from Monterey. It was as perfect as we expected. Service was attentive but not smothering, food was amazing. Rave reviews from my "mother" and my adult children and in-laws. Thank you!Special Features:
- The following 346 reviews are from the Solare Ristorante Lounge reviews archive.