Solare Ristorante Lounge
2820 Roosevelt Road
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Solare Ristorante Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solarelounge.com/
- Phone: (619) 270-9670
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday/ 11:30am -4pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday/ 4:00pm - 10pm
Dinner only: Sunday/ 4:30pm - 10pm.
COOKING CLASS schedule on
CLOSED: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Accursio Lota
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: PRIVATE ROOMS are available for up to 100 guests. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-270-9670 or vist our website for more information.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Thursday Night at 8:30pm
- Special Events: Please contact us to learn more about our Cooking Classes and Team Building events. GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE!!!!
A word from Solare Ristorante Lounge
Voted Best Italian Restaurant and Best Chef (Accursio Lotà) for 2014 by San Diego Magazine! The setting, service, decor and ambiance in this historic Liberty Station location is like no other. Family-owned and operated, Randy Smerik and his team work hard to offer an amazing dining experience for you. We believe in the use of local fresh organic produce, natural meat and wild seafood and we are a "Sustainable Green Restaurant". Each dish is prepared from scratch with love and passion to satisfy our customer's heart and soul.Continued
Housed in the filming location for Top Gun, Solare helps to sustain the historical landmarks of San Diego's NTC Promenade.
Housed in the filming location for Top Gun, Solare helps to sustain the historical landmarks of San Diego's NTC Promenade.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Solare Ristorante Lounge - Best Restaurants in Point Loma ›
Solare Ristorante Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (46)romantic (44)notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (26)hot spot (12)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great authentic Italian cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014The pasta at Solare is hand-made every day and you can definitely tell! I tried a bite of each pasta dish ordered by my friends and they were all amazing. It would be difficult to pick a favorite, but if I had to - I would choose the cheese ravioli. The desserts were a great way to end the meal as well. The tiramisu was the best I've had in a long time. Service was exceptional. I felt like my party was well taken care of - the drinks never went unfilled and the bread kept coming. This is a great place to go for authentic Italian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOLARE IS WONDERFULEdwardVIPDined on 11/15/2014First time, but not the last. Everything was terrific: the casually elegant ambiance, the wait staff, the menu selections and wine. And, the food- it was very special. The salad, bread, soup, fish and chicken were each a treat. Solare has it together- all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eating experienceHarryoDined on 11/8/2014The food is great as usual and the ambiance is very nice. The waiters are pleasant and the service good. I would highly recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- Solare ...lovely place... ButLovelyAmbianceDined on 10/31/2014Great ambiance and service(Francois is magnifique).... Food Not as consistently good as it was...:(....used to LOVE/crave the risotto, pear salad and calamari appetizer...based on lasted visit I have no reason to order it which was an incentive to come back.... Now......ehSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodDuchessDined on 10/19/2014we would rate it as good. the noise from the airplanes taking off is a bit much to handle all through dinner.
- Padded BillslimdiegoDined on 10/18/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. The food was very good and the service, we initially thought, was attentive and prompt. After we finished our meals the waiter brought over a dessert with a candle in honor of my wife's birthday. We had not ordered this but such service has been customary in my experience so we accepted it. When the bill came, not only did they charge nearly twice as much for the glass of champagne we ordered before dinner ($16 v. $9 advertised) but they charged us for the dessert! Really? Is that how they make their profit? We were so annoyed that we just paid the bill and left. I now regret that but what's done is done. Besides, how can you argue that something should be free? It's awkward to say the least. I've never encountered anything like this and will not be back. They lost significant future business by scamming us for a few bucks.
- Amazing as AlwaysEC45Dined on 10/18/2014Some friends came to town from Sacramento and they love good food and wine. So where else to bring them but Solare! It sure didn't disappoint, We had the specials which were all amazing and one of us had the lobster spaghetti... A true signature dish. Thank you Solare for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Good and averageJkorbVIPDined on 10/16/2014Solare is average solid. Occasionally you'll get a spectacular dish. Other times you don't get what's advertised but a variation if it. Nothing is ever bad but it doesn't stand up to a couple of better Italian places in little Italy or gas lamp. Don't order the pizza. The crust doesn't stand up and the ingredients are mediocre.
- A beautiful dining roomMrGreggDined on 10/11/2014You can sit outside (although be prepared to share room with dogs that are welcomed here), or for the full dining experience of ambience, sit inside and enjoy the beautiful art and lighting. Food was OK, and could use some more impressive flavors, the service was top-notch, with the food server and water servers being very attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent servicePenBDined on 10/10/2014Our first time to Solare was excellent. Food was good and so was service.Special Features:
- Great food but...EmmaDined on 10/3/2014We ordered a bottle of wine but they brought us another that was $8.00 more and told us they were out of the one we ordered. What they should have done, was brought us another, the same price as the one we ordered OR offered us this more expensive bottle at the same price. Windows were filthy, so as you're eating, you're looking at dirt and feeling like the rest of the place isn't clean, either. The food was delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NLandLLDined on 9/26/2014We were there for Restaurant Week, and enjoyed all the courses. We had a nice visit with the owner and the chef too.Special Features:
- Fun Italian JointDavisDuoDined on 9/24/2014Superb of scale Italian restaurant located in NTC. Bring your appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liberty Station GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014My wife and I decided to try Solare during San Diego Restaurant Week after driving by many times dropping our daughter at San Diego School of Rock. We were expecting good things and we were not disappointed. The service, the ambiance, and yes, the food were all superb. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and will return soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian in San DiegoJack909Dined on 9/21/2014Beautiful restaurant in a restored Spanish Revival style building erected by the United States Navy in 1922. The service is first rate with a welcoming smile upon arrival to a friendly good-by as your leave. Table service is prompt with frequent water refills and even a refill on the wonderful house freshly baked bread. The food is delicious, everything an epicure would desire. This restaurant is also dog-friendly.Special Features:
- Good farm to table cuisineluv4allfoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great looking restaurant with an interesting and well priced menu. Because of the abundance of hard wood floors and stucco walls it does get very noisy. The food is well executed with seasonal and fresh ingredients. The food choices range from seafood to fresh veggies to meat dishes all with an Italian focus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.HappyDined on 9/20/2014All the food that we ordered were great!! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Beautiful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My girlfriend and I went here for a romantic dinner and it was a great choice. The waitress was very knowledgeable, the wine list extensive, the food outstanding, and the overall energy of the restaurant was very pleasant. I'd recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a ~$100 dinner for two, it was great!Special Features:
- DisappointedDHernandezDined on 9/12/2014The place was nice, the waiter was sloppy and the food was less than exceptional. i probably won't go backSpecial Features:
- Always excellentTheDinnerClubDined on 9/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurant to entertain out of town guests and celebrate special occasion. The food and service are both excellent, and consistent.Special Features:
- Handmade pasta!KristenVIPDined on 9/6/2014Lovely new addition to Liberty Station. The menu provides several tempting options, all with handmade pasta, which is not found enough in Italian restaurants. We both had the lobster linguine, which was fantastic! I look forward to returning to try some of the other dishes. The ambiance & service were both good, but not crazy stellar. A great choice for an Italian for certain.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Before my visit I had heard very positive feedback about the food and experience at Solare and my first visit did not disappoint. The ambiance and energy of the space is excellent for both a more formal dining experience as well as a great place to relax after a long days work. The live music added a nice touch. Knowing they make the pasta fresh each day gives diners the impression that they truly care about the quality of their food. Oh, and the spinach pasta tasted amazing! The service was a little slow in the beginning but picked up as the evening went on. I will definitely be back to Solare and would recommend it to guests or others who are in the Point Loma area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food-wonderful area of townmarkVIPDined on 9/5/2014Liberty Station has finally become a "go to" spot for dining with a good variety variety of restuarants. Solare is upscale, with a good wine list and great dishes. Parking is easy with a large parking lots easily walkable to the resturant. We were there on a "First Friday" when the stores were open late and the San Diego Water Color Society was doing their monthly show. A busy and fun filled area. The restuarant was wonderful other than a bit noisy (but then what restaurant isn't?) The waiter was charming and helpful in very knowledable about the menu and specials. The four of us had a wonderful evening at Solare and we will be returning.Special Features:
- Great Find!easylivinDined on 9/3/2014Was invited with larger group a few weeks ago and it was amazing! Came back just my wife and I for our anniversary dinner and it was great! Food was delicious, special orders welcome!The tequila they serve is good as well, the owner apparently is a partner in the company down in Mexico, I am now a fan!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerTerryVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great dinner! Brought two local Point Loma friends who were there for the first time. Lasagna for two diners was really good. The owner, Randy found a great Italian wine selection for the dinner. The Arcanum was a wonderful compliment to our dinner ! Looking forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Delicioso!!!Love2EatDined on 8/29/2014One of the best restaurants I have been to in a long time. So many delicious options, you might want to share. And desert was amazing. A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for lunchJeffTVIPDined on 8/29/2014Ended up trying their pizza, which was good. Wine is very good and they have 1/2 off bottle Tuesdays. I really like the look of inside. I haven't been there during happy hour. They seem to have some good other selections, but no real meat sauces or dishes with meat. They are a bit pricey for their main courses for lunch as well. Still good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wantingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The service though friendly had a skill level far below what you would expect for the menu, ambiance, and prices. The waiter had had to go to the kitchen to get a question answered about the menu, proceeded to deliver coffee and bills to other tables and when returning did not have an answer due to the chef being out. After another long trip to the kitchen the question was answered. Preferring beer, my unused wineglass was not cleared until desert was delivered. Similarly, the appetizer and bread plates created a sort of juggling act for the staff once the entree arrived. The food was good and the atmosphere nice. The staff is friendly, just inexperienced and unmanaged.Special Features:
- stdineDined on 8/22/2014It's been a longtime since I visited Solare. I'm wondering why I didn't make it a regular watering hole. the food is fabulous. My husband who is a picky eater loved his meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Sicilian food I have ever had.HarryHoutmanDined on 8/22/2014This spot is my go to for great Italian food. I have returned time and time again, still have not been dissapointed. My favorite on the menu is their osso buco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I have been craving risotto for the longest time. We were told that Solare's made a really good risotto, we decided to give them a try. We have been here for lunch, but risotto is only offered for dinner. I ordered the risotto and my wife ordered the ossobuco. Both of the meals were outstanding. Service was outstanding as well. It was well worth the drive down from Vista, CA, which is about 45 minutes away. Will make the trip more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solare is fabulous!KarenVIPDined on 8/14/2014Each dish is better than the last and the last is always delicious. Service is among the best in San Diego. Do not hesitate to go here as you will be a happy diner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!Bon47Dined on 8/9/2014We picked Solare for our anniversary dinner, and we're so glad we did. Had a great time....good food, wonderful service. We've been to Solare before, and it never disappoints. Our server was very good, so friendly and helpful. I had the wonderful Spaghetti a la Aragosta (with Lobster) and my husband had the Pappardelle. The dessert was the Crostini, a dark chocolate tart......so-o-o-o good!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014This was my first dining experience with Solare and it has now become my favorite Italian restaurant. There are so many things on the menu I want to go back and try. The food is fresh and very tasty. Service is professional, friendly and helpful. The ambience is warm and comfortable. I recommend this to anyone interested in great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great foodbirthdayDined on 8/2/2014I had the venison lasagna it was great and I am not really a lasagna person but it rainy out and it just sounded good. I also had the ceasar salad and it was really good too nice roman lettuces, and alot of parm cheese on the salad. overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive menusdmimiDined on 8/1/2014The menu is really fun! The food was beautifully prepared and presented. Employees are very proud of their family base and their food to table menu. If you want to talk, go early or late or sit outside as the noise level is quite energetic!Special Features:
- Food Very Good; service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014After much research decided to make Solare one of our three San Diego dining spots during a trip from Boston. Inauspicious beginning as it was several minutes before we were greeted after being shown to the table (by a very courteous hostess) and nearly 30 minutes before we had cocktails in hand. The server could be described as indfferent at best--rushed through the specials, had to be flagged down for drink refills, never checked back after the courses were served, etc... While the food was very good (although, in general, could use a touch more seasoning), it is often the overall experience that brings people back or prompts them to refer a friend.
- Great Evening with FriendselwoodDined on 7/25/2014We knew that we were meeting friends for dinner yet we met even more at Solare. Both the Manager and the Owner dropped by to make sure the meal was perfect (it was) and to chat about Italy. I had requested a special spot on Open Table and sure enough we were offered that spot. It was a memorable evening, great wine, food and friends.Special Features:
- The following 374 reviews are from the Solare Ristorante Lounge reviews archive.
- Great ExperienceTswagDined on 7/24/2014We hosted a Meetup here to watch the free Jazz performance on Thursday nights. It was phenomenal! The staff was engaging and the service was excellent. Even the band engaged the crowd and took request. They have a happy hour of half off pizzas and the pizza was great too. Overall, this is a great location for groups and a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014This was our second time at Solare. Food was great and the wine selection was awesome. The first time we were there, we told the waiter we wanted to take our time and enjoy the different courses. This time, we told the waiter the same time and he was a little pushy and said that if we don't get our orders in he couldn't guarentee we'd be served in a timely manner. That would be fine if we weren't looking to enjoy a long romantic meal, and I don't think he was receptive to our desires.Special Features: