Solar Do Minho
15 Cleveland St.
Belleville, NJ 07109Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
Solar Do Minho
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solardominhobelleville.com/
- Phone: (973) 844-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - Midnight
Sunday: Noon - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Portuguese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Solar Do Minho
Inspired by the ingredients, cooking methods and dishes of our own family table, Solar do Minho’s cuisine embodies the essence of dining in Portugal. A warm and inviting atmosphere, impeccable service and attention to detail are the hallmarks of the Solar do Minho experience. Our talented chefs add a modern, seasonal approach to traditional favorites creating a menu perfectly balanced between rusticity and refinement. Sharing is encouraged so that everyone can savor each dish throughout the culinary journey. Choices include sparkling fresh shellfish and seafood, various preparations of salt-cod, or bacalhau, paelha, Portuguese sausage, hams and wonderful meat dishes. We feature a superb selection of wines from Portugal, Italy and California, carefully selected to complement and enhance the menu. Our full bar serves an array of specialty cocktails and, of course, our famous homemade sangria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Solar Do Minho - Best Restaurants in Belleville ›
Solar Do Minho reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hidden GemBella27Dined on 11/14/2014Very good food with outstanding service. Would recommend this restaurant to my family and friends. Rodizio was very good....top sirloin was my favorite. Service was outstanding even on Saturday night. Victory made our night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Serviceo6oHAVOCo9oDined on 11/1/2014The outside of the place didn't seem like much. But we were inside it was perfect. Food A. Sangria A. Service A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HUGE portionsdn3456Dined on 10/17/2014Food was excellent, as was the sangria! Portions were HUGE. One plate was enough to serve 2 people, with enough for left overs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetDined on 10/3/2014Great food & the portions are unbelievably huge! Love the atmosphere. You feel as though you are at your parents' for Sunday dinner. The servers were courteous & professional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep going back!AxeBroDined on 9/26/2014Their Rodizio is by far the best I've had. Ample choices/variety, perfectly flavored meat... just the right amount of seasoning, not over powering. you taste the flavoring, but also get to taste the natural flavor of each kind of meat. Skip the sides (our children eat those) - and you still get a decent low carb/high protien meal. Oh and watch out for the Sangria! It is damned addicting. The Passion fruit sangria, by the picther is our favorite. SDM is our defacto celebration spot - birthday, anniversary, whatever - we don't much need a reason to go here. We just find ourselves there.Special Features:
- Great night with friendsVanessaDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I were there Saturday for dinner with friends. We started with sangria at the bar and the moved on to rodizio and paella. Everything was delicious and the portions and rodizio were ample and generous. Recommend highly to anyone.Special Features:
- Nice spot for a good mealJT76Dined on 8/10/2014The place was busy and only one waiter was covering the room. But the good was great and we enjoyed our time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceNikkigeeDined on 8/8/2014Delicious food. I especially appreciated their wide selection of fish and seafood (though I have to admit, the rodizio looked amazing! But I came for the seafood, and the dishes we ordered were great.) Would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaluDined on 8/2/2014Is the best in NJ. I highly recmmend this Restaurant to a peple who likes good food & drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Solar Do Minho reviews archive.
- Great place!SteveSDined on 7/25/2014I have been to Solar Do Minho many times in the past and the food is always good although a bit pricey. Thistime though the service was very slow. I think that is because they only had 1 server for the entire downstairs. Victor did a great job, but was inundated with my party of 10, another party of at least 12, and a few smaller groups. Victor did a great job though! Other than that I like this restaurant and will most likely continue going.Special Features:
- Awesome!AxeBroDined on 7/22/2014This was our second time - and by far our favorite place for Rodizio. Why even bother looking at the rest of the menu? The rounds come out faster than you can finish. IF something hasn't come out that you were hoping to get - just ask, if it's on the rack, they'll bring it out next round. I went to celebrate my birthday - and could not be happier. Somehow I even got to park right up front - someone that was probably the owner, told me to just leave the car there and take the key! Very attentive staff, excellent food, awesome selections. I think of all the things that came out there was one item that we didn't like. Even though we went on a tuesday - the place was busy - which is always good when it comes to Rodizio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All GOOD!!!RodizioLUVDined on 7/22/2014Great Food GOOD SERVICE!!! From start to finish A+++!!! Totally will be going back again and again...SANGRIA EXCELLENT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Not the first time here. Still Excellent food and plenty of it! Service was great....my wine glass was never empty! Outdoor dining nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solar do MinhoSalace40328Dined on 7/1/2014The food was exellent!! The noise was a bit more than I liked, there were some birthday celebration in a table next to ours and they could'n not keep down, ;( sad to say, some people have no respect for others. It took a lillte longer than expected for the food to arrive, specially because it was Wednesday, do not want to try in the weekend. Prices are ok. If some friend asked I will recomend.Special Features:
- Used to be goodQueenbee2Dined on 5/24/2014Has gone down hill. Rapidly. The food quality, presentation, food preparation was all different and we have eaten here 8 times. It was terrible. Server was sorry but unable to make it right. 2 hours later we left after paying for a bad meal.
- Can't wait to go back.msokad235Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I went her last week for dinner. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Our waiter was very nice and had our drinks withn 5 minutes of us getting seated. We both ordered rodizio and were not disappointed. I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/13/2014We have been here in the past. Great food always a good pick.Special Features:
- ExcellentseanDined on 4/5/2014This restaurant was exceptional all around. Food was fantastic (all went for rodizio and sangria), service was very good, valet parking was a nice bonus. Suitable for any group that likes to eat, just don't wear tight fitting clothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely awesome! GreatmeatloverDined on 3/30/2014Absolutely awesome! Great hidden spot in town:) everyone is super friendly and we always look forward to going there. Also the sangria is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rodesio anyone?johnnyDined on 3/27/2014One of the best Rodesio restaurant I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time Neighborhood PortugeseCKSSVIPDined on 3/22/2014Reliable, decent Portuguese food. Calamari is outstanding. Great they offer valet parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was great but I wassummer954Dined on 3/14/2014the food was great but I was not impressed with the service at all. We were the biggest party in the room I thought we were ignored by the wait staff. We ask for regular water we were given bottled water and charged. the service was extremely slow and we needed to flag down the server if we need anything that is an issue for me.Special Features:
- Fun birthday party placenicntesDined on 2/22/2014My family and I celebrated our dad's 80th birthday at Solar do Minho on Feb. 22 and we were seated downstairs where all the other parties were held. It was a fun atmosphere where everyone was having a great time. The staff was terrific and looks like they were used to all the rowdiness. It was great and I enjoyed celebrating everyone's party. The guitar player was wonderful and we sang to our dad. We loved it. The food was fantastic as usual. I've recommended this place to my friends and we even had a nice ladies night here. I would definitely be back. Oh and having valet parking is a definite plus. That's part of the reason why I come to Solar do Minho often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother-in-law bdaycaptainawesome23Dined on 2/21/2014Took my mother-in-law for her birthday and she liked the food and this is a person who is very picky when it comes to foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChaoticBMEKCDined on 2/16/2014Food was very good with a nice variety, service was ok, noise level was way too loud with tables too close to each other and parking was horrible even with Valet parking, no room to maneuver around.
- Need mannersweeziegirl30VIPDined on 2/14/2014Food good. Overstayed our "time" Started"flicking lights" Disrespectful. If they needed table tell us politely. Would try again. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was looking for a placejosedlunaVIPDined on 2/12/2014I was looking for a place to meet up with friends and found this place on Yelp! Love their application when in doubt YELP IT!!! the sangria was amazing; i didn't try their appetizers but my friends enjoyed them. I did have a skirt steak which they made to perfection. the staff was very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2014We drive over an hour each direction just to enjoy this place. Rodizio is the best there is in any restaurant in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMagrmDined on 2/1/2014They have a great Portuguese food and the service was great. The only bad thing I have to say is even though you have a resevation you still need to wait a lot for a table, everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decided not to have dinner at SolarNapmanDined on 1/18/2014We had made a reservation for seven to celebrate my older son's and my birthdays. When we called to inquire about bringing wine to enjoy with the meal we were informed they had a policy of not allowing diners to provide their own wine even with a corkage fee. Because they do not allow outside wine we made a reservation at L'Apicio in NYC and had a wonderful meal accompanied by some special wines from our celler. As much as I would have preferred having portuguese food the inability to bring our own wine was the deal breaker.
- SECOND VISITCASINO51Dined on 1/4/2014First visit was exceptional, second visit we were put into the loud crowded party room in basement.. Hated it... even when I requested a table for 4 a week in advance in the back room ..not the basement. I took my daughter there and the unruly people were swearing and drunk.. NOT WHAT I WANTED TO SPEND $250.00 FOR. I requested a quiet area. Sorry but not anymoreSpecial Features:
- This was our 3rd visit inCherylDined on 12/7/2013This was our 3rd visit in less than 2 months - every time the service and food were excellent Looking forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non-Ironbound PortugueseNJdinerVIPDined on 10/27/2013All the local Portugueae favorites in an extensive menu. Absolutely superb kids menu with real food - not chicken nuggets/grilled chees/ hamburger fare - but chicken breast and steak options. Fun casual spot to enjoy a meal. Sangria was nice complement and good qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies NightnicntesDined on 10/18/2013It was ladies night for us and we had a terrific time. One of the best thing about Solar do Minho is the valet parking. We got out of the car and walked in the restaurant. Online reservation was convenient. I will return for a romantic night out with my husband. And my friends and I will be back. I like being seated downstairs or passed the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Sangria were veryLinaDined on 10/13/2013Food and Sangria were very good.. Service was good too.. Would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerNoahVIPDined on 10/12/2013My wife and I took our younger son here for his 25th birthday. The wonderful meat fest that is Solar do Minho's rodizio is one of the few dining experiences outside our kitchen he enjoys. As with our previous visits (we always make reservations), we were seated quickly and a server came by quickly. We started with the octopus and flaming sausage appetizers, which were excellent. The octopus in particular is the most tender any of us have ever eaten. When we were done, our server brought us new plates and utensils and the meat delivery began. All of it good, but the garlic steak was almost preternaturally tender and flavorful. For a carnivore, it would be hard to find a better place in the NYC metro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrassed With FriendsAnex43VIPDined on 10/5/2013We have been here before and really enjoyed it. this time we went with another couple for a birthday celebration. Ordered wine. They ordered soup and we ordered the octopus salad to share. Soup arrived promptly and was good but not great. Octopus did not arrive, asked where it was three times and were told "on it's way." Finally we canceled the order. Three of our four entres arrived. After a fairly long wait and asking the manger why my food had not arrived, I cancelled the order and told him to change it to the redizio (that I had avoided because the meat is far to salty) just to get something to eat. The consensus was the food was pretty good but way over salted. Service was just a nightmare.
- Awesome place for any occassion.nicntesDined on 9/29/2013Awesome place for any occassion. Recently celebrated my daughter's 19th birthday and we had a great time. One of the best night of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excessively expensive forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2013Excessively expensive for the quality of chosen plates > seafood. If ordering a bottle of wine, make sure you drink it all with your meal otherwise, you will have an unpleasant experience at the end. Will never return to this restaurant.
- Food was good but could havekennedyDined on 9/14/2013Food was good but could have had free soup or salad w entree for price. Service was great sangria was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.