110 McFadden Place
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solgrill.com/
- Phone: 9497234105x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Sol Grill
Sol Grill is your destination for the quintessential Southern California dining experience. Family owned and operated. Small, quaint, cozy. Delicious award winning food, great wine and superb service. Candle lit tables, art adorned red walls and antique lighting create a warm environment. It's the perfect backdrop for any occasion. See what the locals have known and enjoyed for the last 10 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sol Grill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Sol Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)romantic (9)fit for foodies (8)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food and drinkPKBearFanDined on 10/17/2014Smaller spot but good food and atmosphere. Friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sol Grill exceedsrickoutDined on 10/9/2014When you first walk up to the Sol Grill you think it might be a little hole in the wall, and you would be right, but what a great hole in the wall! The food was great and the wine was good as well, will be back.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningout4agreattimeDined on 10/1/2014I made reservations for my boyfriend's birthday on a weeknight at 7pm. It wasn't crowded yet and there was a guitarist setting up to play. The place is small, but cute. I think the best time to visit would be in the off season like I did since tourists can make it too packed and busy. When we arrived we had a window table reserved like I had asked, and the table had birthday confetti decorating it. We shared the clam and mussel steamer, I had the lobster ravioli, and he had the Newport linguine. Everything was yummy and a great portion for the price. Then we had a surprise complementary slice of tiramisu that wasn't traditional, but tastey.Special Features:
- LtandandieDined on 9/19/2014Very quaint cozy restaurant on the beach. Local art decor. Food was tasty, and we watched the sunset from our table. GrSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBalboa12Dined on 9/18/2014This place was adorable, the menu was great and the food was delicious! I highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- drinks okay, food terribletrewdDined on 9/13/2014Food was just too spiced and some items were clearly microwaved. The food tasted like it was pure chili powder and tons of salt. Asked the waitress what the taste was, and she said that she didn't know because the cooks didn't speak English. Would not recommend this place to anyone.
- Weird RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014My review is for the service, bathrooms and food presentation. The food was actually quite delicious but was served poorly - sloppy presentation. The wait staff was grumpy, condescending and rude. The bathrooms are actually located through the busy kitchen. If you have to use them, be prepared to be stared at by a bunch of sweaty cooks. The atmosphere was bizarre - it was way too small. I don't know, all in all it was okay, but I don't think I'll be returning.Special Features:
- Food was great!steveDined on 8/15/2014As always, the food was fantastic. Meatballs yummy and the chicken picata super! First time that the service was slow particularly when the bill was due. Gotta fix that Misty!Special Features:
- Great Time :)lyricDined on 8/7/2014Absolutely love this place!!! Tried their happy hour for the first time and was not disappointed, they have a good selection from their normal menu on the happy hour one and everything was delicious. Plus I love the sangria here and it was $4 a glass (good-sized glass too)Special Features:
- Absolutely fantasticTippyMKTGDined on 8/5/2014This place is amazing, the owner is present and one of the nicest people you will meet. Caters to your every need and the food was great. Small and quaint will eclectic lighting. Our son had the steak, kinda blah but the seafood and pasta were incredible. I had the salmon and it was so good I went back the next night and had it again. French press coffee after dinner a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate Local FindWearyTravellerDined on 7/24/2014Sol offers great Happy Hour specials on both drinks and entrees. The restaurant is just a short walk from the Newport Beach Pier and bathing beach. Be sure to try the sangia, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMarkB92614VIPDined on 7/19/2014Awesome service, great food and a fun ambiance just steps from the beach/pier in Newport. All the perks of a nice restaurant with a great laid back vibe.Special Features:
- Good eats at Newport pierjimk2542Dined on 7/13/2014Took advice of previous reviewers and had dinner here with my wife. Had an enjoyable dinner. Food was good, portion sizes more than enough. Service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2gobackDined on 7/12/2014Excellent location, attentive server, casual elegance, great food, fair priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Sol Grill reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014really pleasing surprise; NOT related to the MEXICAN restaurant; check out the menu to see the variety of choices; food was awesome -not at all what we had expected - the beach location and casual nature belies the food; very flavorful; portions large; the vegetable soup was obviously home made and notably delicious; the seafood was clearly fresh and prepared with care and attention to detail; however, it is not a fussy restaurant - more like the old-time corner restaurant that serves great food; hear the sangria is great, but the wine and beer choices are less than - but, who cares the food is greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!steveDined on 6/13/2014This place never disappoints. I should just cut and paste my paste reviews because how many ways can you say GREAT! Thanks again Misty!Special Features:
- Great experiencemnewsguyDined on 5/24/2014Table was ready upon arrival, service was outstanding, food was great! Sangria is a must! Brought out a huge brownie and ice cream treat for my daughter's b-day, very nice touch! Highly recommend SOL GRILL!Special Features:
- Our Fav!steveDined on 5/23/2014Once again this place is just tough to beat! A great menu offering, service with a smile and the food is always excellent. The sirloin meatballs are killer and a must order. A great happy hour menu that is perfect if you want smaller portions or just want to order a bunch of different things. The main menu is great and the prices are very reasonable. In short, Sol Grill is simply amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greata EveningAppreciativeDined on 5/17/2014Both steak and Ahi were great. Our server as very friendly. Told us not to worry about the parking meters after 6 PM. Will recommend to others Was our first time at Sol Grill.Special Features:
- Great place for a casual night outmoe91Dined on 5/13/2014Food was incredible. Service was friendly and the restaurant was not crowded. Lobster ravioli was delicious and sangria was awesome. Only complaint is that we felt rushed after our meal rather than being able to relax and get another glass of sangria.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once is not enough2ndTenorDined on 5/7/2014Gracious and beautiful host, terrific food and acoustic guitar playing in the background. Hard to leave. thanks, misty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryKathnashianDined on 5/2/2014Great little place near the Newport Pier. Never a hassle with reservations. Quiet with an elcletic atmosphere and tasty food. My two favs are the sangria and meatballs. Yum! But most everything is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sol's almost at the beachmoragajohnDined on 4/29/2014Sol's is an unpretentious neighborhood gem, set just back from the beach. The food was good and the service too. The guitarist was a pleasant background. For us out-of-towners, Navigation was not helpful , and parking was a challenge. On leaving we saw that parking opens up by 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In my opinionelcaminobanditDined on 4/29/2014Turn the air-conditioner on (The ocean breeze and ceiling fans just don't cut-it) especially during the HOT season. The waiter is extremely polite, but lacks presence for customer's needs. The food is exceptional ...Special Features:
- Good Friends and Good TimesLoriJessicaEthanCharlieDined on 4/26/2014The food was great, and the company was even better! My wife and I have been there a few times, and we brought good friends with us for their first experience. It was an awesome night, and we will surely all go there again!Special Features:
- Loved it again!DateNightDined on 4/25/2014We were seated immediately and the server took our drink orders right away. No waiting at all. The bread and dipping oil are phenomenal. The sol salad was excellent. Very large for a dinner salad. Our entrees were perfect. Portions were claim-jumper-sized! An amazing thing since I ordered filet mignon! The service was fast and the server was attentive. Overall, just a wonderful dinner out. We love the Sol Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014The food was good. But the service was very slow. For this reason I don't think that we will be returning.Special Features:
- SERVICE WAS AMAZING!BuckDined on 4/16/2014Food was amazing! I've never had better service. The vibe was just right I actually felt more at home there than my favorite restaurant back home. Great view with the perfect placement for beachfront dining. First time customer and lifelong fan. Can't wait to get back to the Sol grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!reviewworthyDined on 4/4/2014This place is now our favorite place to eat in Newport Beach! Great food, good ambiance and love the people who work there. Misty, Marissa and Greg are great. Friendly and good service. Make sure you make reservations! Hope you enjoy this place as much as we do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014It was my first time dining at Sol Grill. It turned out to be a very pleasant experience. The food portion is very generous. The lamb chops are mouth watering and very tender. The service is excellent. All the employees are very attentive. If you're looking for a vibrant dining scene this is the place. Will sure come back again.Special Features:
- averageMattDined on 3/22/2014I didn't think the food here was anything special. Would definitely stick with the Cannery in Newport, as the prices aren't that much higher, if at all.
- Birthday CelebrationbeachlvrDined on 3/20/2014Comfortable, good food, great service, and a bonus guitar player.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, lacking service.IeatallthefoodDined on 3/12/2014Overall we liked the place a lot. The food was outstanding, good beer selection, romantic atmosphere, and their Sangria was great. The largest issue was from the point where our food had been cleared and leftovers put in a to-go box, it took 45 minutes for us to get our check. Despite asking for it, the server was too busy taking other people's orders, serving drinks, and making small chat. We had two groups of people who were seated after we received our appetizers finish their appetizers and dinner, pay, and leave before we even got the check. For that reason alone we might try again but I doubt we'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Thank you again, Sol Grill. We celebrated our wedding reception here last year and came back exactly one year later for our 1 year anniversary. The food is as delicious as I remembered and service is prompt, professional and never forced. See you again next year!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseLpstkbizdinerVIPDined on 2/28/2014Booked this thinking it was a different place. It is small and cozy with a delicious menu and friendly service. Salmon and Mussels both yummy dishes.Special Features:
- Food was good, it was hardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2014Food was good, it was hard to find. Mapquest directions lacked one street.Special Features:
- A Great Restaurant To Enjoy!porkyDined on 2/19/2014A great find! The ambience was fantastic. A small, quaint restaurant with an acoustic guitarist playing in the background. Recommend reservations because the restaurant is small. Food was amazing and almost everything was perfect with one exception. The night we were there (with a 7:00 p.m. reservation), the restaurant was understaffed and our service was quite slow. They certainly needed to add to their wait staff. Other than that, I would definitely make another reservation at Sol Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fooddudeDined on 2/15/2014Fantastic food. Parts of the swordfish were a little but too salty, but overall the food was incredible. Service was prompt and friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overall experienceTTKT1Dined on 2/11/2014really enjoyed the diverse, and interesting menu. The Filet meatballs with portabella gravy were outstanding...perhaps a little heavy handed on the salt, but this is a matter of varying preference. We had three seafood selections which were all excellent. The portions are more than generous, and the fish cooked perfectly (this is an unfortunately difficult thing to find, as most restaurants tend to overcook, thus ruin, otherwise great quality seafood). The lamb and chicken were equally delicious. The guitar player on Tuesday was excellent. The servers were warm and gracious. This is a great place for a date night, and one that we will return to often. We would come back again and again for the quality of the fish alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early diners findGolfDined on 2/9/2014We arrived in time for the early deal and it was very good. Tasty food,good service and reasonably priced. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.