Sol De Mexico
3018 N. Cicero
Chicago, IL 60641Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Sol De Mexico
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.soldemexicochicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 282-4119
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Monday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Clemantina Flores
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available and take out available.
- Private Party Facilities: SOL DE MEXICO AND TIERRA AZTECA Special Events and Private Parties SOL DE MEXICO is pleased to offer private or semi-private parties of up to 90 people. Your private party guarantees a minimum of 20 people. A warm, rustic place filled with the work of Mexico's finest contemporary artists, it is available Wednesday through Monday, for lunch or dinner parties. Basics Our base price is dinner $30.00 lunch $25.00 per person for a "parade" of appetizers, served family-style, individually plated or family-style entree(s), coffee or (hot) tea; this price excludes additional beverages, tax and service charge. Your party will begin with a reception that includes items as listed in our webpage www.soldemexicochicago.com
- Private Party Contact: Juan Tello 7732824119
- Entertainment: We have salsa dance on Saturtay after 11:00PM to 2:00AM
A word from Sol De Mexico
Welcome to Sol De Mexico Tierra Azteca, to enjoy a world class cuisine and feel welcome to Mexico alive for you. Sol De Mexico swings casual, in an elegant setting to make you feel at home. But it also racks with classic Mexican rhythms. Its wall radiate sun-baked colors. The paintings, sculptures and decoration leap to your eyes and make you laugh. Together they invite you to a journey of tradition throughout Mexico. Sol De Mexico restaurant uses beautiful ingredients, often organic-grown, to bring to you the bold flavors and immediate freshness that jump off the tongue just as it does in Mexico. Buen Provecho!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sol De Mexico reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)good for groups (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Outstanding place - very niceMsylDined on 10/29/2014charming little place. fantastic menu selection and the menu changes every 3 months. the service was incredible. The place was almost empty on a Thursday night. I believe this place suffers from being in the wrong location! The wine list is great - you can buy bottle or by the glass. The appetizers were colorful and delicious. I loved this place and would recommend that everyone try it. I am really excited that the menu changes every 3 months. This is NOT a taco joint or a typical casual Mexican restaurant. This is a higher end mexican restaurant with extremely reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Funky Location, Limited MenuLisaeatsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Weird location, in the middle of a bad neighborhood. The menu was super limited and very pricey for the area. Loved the home made tortillas, though. And the service was great. Lots of better options.
- Under appreciated gemJtagDined on 9/6/2014Off the beaten path and worth it! Lovely decor and small but terrific menu- can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 35 reviews are from the Sol De Mexico reviews archive.
- We recommend Sol de MexicoAnneVIPDined on 2/22/2014We recommend Sol de Mexico very highly. wonderful food. beautiful presentation. delicious drinks. very nice staff. easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's night outChgoDDined on 2/14/2014The special V-day menu was inspired from the romantic movie Like Water for Chocolate. The cuisine was unbelievably delicious, creatively prepared and each course was more eagerly anticipated than the last. The service was prompt and personable for 2/3 of the night. The entire 3-hour experience would have been completely amazing except the services dropped off near the end and they were much less attentive in the last hour. Maybe they were tired or busy, but they were less visible, delayed drink orders and forgot the last course. Overall, I continue to be thrilled with the quality and quantity of 5-star cuisine for 3-star prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopes because molebethuVIPDined on 1/25/2014Had high hopes because mole chef was from former Chilpancingo. Dishes were good but not fantastic. Perhaps my expectations were too high. However service was good and very, friendly. I also expected more from the margarita. I expected something smoother but instead got a sweet concoction I would get from a non-Mexican restaurant. I think the food is a bit too gringo not quite serious Mexican food we get from likes of (now shuttered) Cucina Mundial, Chilpancingo or Real de Catorce.Special Features:
- Went there on a Sunday evening,TitaVIPDined on 1/19/2014Went there on a Sunday evening, there were only 3 tables taken at restaurant, so it was fairly quiet. Service was very attentive and helpful and knowledgeable. Their recommendation for main entree was excellent. Margaritas were very good, with freshly squeezed lime juice. Prices were not high. I would highly recommend this place, and I will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2013we had the carne asada dishes and the shrimp entrée, they were all excellent, expecially the carne asadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When hungry for good Mexican food..SaraVIPDined on 11/1/2013Sol de Mexico is unique. For being in a rather unlikely location, it is pleasant and welcoming. Tastefully chosen Mexican music adds to the ambiance. The secret, really, is in the food. It is superb. The tamales de elote in a a poblano sauce are heavenly. We, as a group of 4, had black mole, red mole (sort of a pipien), and brown. All were delicious and beautifully served. We can never understand why there are not more people dining. It is treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/14/2013If you put these same dishes in front of patrons downtown you could charge twice what they do. The food is truly fine dining Mexican. The atmosphere and service at casual but friendly They make really good mixed drinks with fresh ingredients although the wine offering is an afterthought.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!MarinewifechiDined on 8/18/2013The best spot in Cragin for a nice meal! Excellent service, consistently delicious and fresh food and easy parking/CTA access!Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/25/2013This is a great place I probably have driven by many times without noticing. Food was exceptional - Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sol de Mexico is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/6/2013Sol de Mexico is a great restaurant! The food is of high quality, and so delicious. The best mole's in all Chicagoland. If it were in a different location there'd be a line out the door...Special Features:
- The service was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/16/2013The service was very attentive and provided good suggestions for the entrees. The moles are excellent and we always look forward to coming here and sampling each other's moles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013This was our first visit to Sol de Mexico, Saturday afternoon for a late lunch. The restaurant was very quiet, service was good and the staff friendly. By the time we were finishing our meal, the restaurant was beginning to fill with people. The food was good although it could have been spicier, two in our party had cat fish tacos - a first for them, which they rated as excellent. It appears crowds begin coming after 6 P.M. Bar service, very interesting Mexican cultural art and a vibe that one could feel as the staff began gearing up for late evening / night diners.
- great place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2012the best mexican restaurant i have even been to. we love going there and it will be on our forever list.Special Features:
- It is listed on Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/17/2012It is listed on Open Table as Bucktown/wicker park, but it's nowhere near those neighborhoods. The menu was extremely authentic based on my personal culinary experiences in Mexico (i.e. not your typical Americanized Mexican food experience). I think that overall, food was pretty good. My only complaint is that it could have been more flavorful. Many dishes were more bland than expected. I might go back someday, but since it's so far from Bucktown/Wicker park, it will probably be a while before I go back.Special Features:
- Great food, Habanero Salsa,ShriVIPDined on 9/28/2012Great food, Habanero Salsa, Coconut Pie and Mushroom Tacos excellent! Service can improve to make it better, it seem sluggish at timesSpecial Features:
- It was our second time thereLatrosaddieVIPDined on 9/1/2012It was our second time there on the recommendation of Chicago best and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious.OpfolkDined on 8/31/2012Everything was delicious. Order anything on the menu, you can't go wrong. All the mole sauces are exceptional. Unusual, very tasty tequila-based drinks. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- Rushed, but tastyMargolisDined on 8/11/2012Felt rushed. Don't take a reservation, then tell your patrons that the kitchen is closing when they arrive. Food was superb, as always. Service was good, except for rushing us. It was sweltering in the restaurant. We all almost fainted, which is why I am rating the ambiance as poor. Throw some A/C on and back up your last available reservation a half hour, so your last patrons aren't rushed, and you'll have a perfect restaurant.Special Features:
- RecommendMargolisDined on 7/15/2012Friendly staff, elevated cuisine, unexpectedly good.Special Features:
- Although the restaurant sitsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2012Although the restaurant sits alone in a rather quiet neighborhood, it is a lovely, beautifully decorated and vibrant place. Our service was exceptional and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Made a trip out from Edgewater,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2012Made a trip out from Edgewater, the food was very good. The mole is within the top five I have ever had. Unfortunately not in our neighborhood, but will try to make the trip out again.Special Features:
- Great appies, spotty entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/16/2012The appetizers (ceviche, guacamole) and service were fantastic, but my main courses (my original order and the replacement) were big disappointments. After specifying upon ordering that I did NOT want my pork overdone, it showed up tough and 100% white and dry on the inside. I suspect our waitress forgot to relay my instructions to the kitchen. She was very good about offering a replacement - the halibut - which came out perfectly done but completely over-salted. I wanted to love Sol de Mexico so much, but the entrees killed the experience for me.Special Features:
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012Awesome food! We order appetizers and love the range and flavor!Special Features:
- West Side StarDiggerdownVIPDined on 5/5/2012Two of us had the tasting menu and we each recieved something different for each course, sampling a wide range of the menu. In general the green sauces had more a nuanced flavor. The house margarita was very good, fresh lime juice and a smoky tequila.Special Features:
- Amazing michelin reccommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/3/2012Amazing michelin reccommendation worthy authentic food, however service was poor. We purchased a voucher off bloomspot and printed it out and followed directions to the T. However not only did they look at us and the voucher as if they were alien lifeforms our waitress literally said to us AFTER we explained the voucher (3 course for 2) to her, she said "so you're not going to pay for your food?" Then she took the voucher walked away and went behind the bar, still in full view mind you, and called the owner. About 5 minutes later she came back and said it would be fine. Then she finally put in our food order after giving us a very "put off" attitude. Talk about disappointing considering the amazing quality of food.Special Features:
- The food at Sol de MexicoSaraVIPDined on 4/4/2012The food at Sol de Mexico is consistently wonderful!! The standbys(i.e uchepos) are amazing. They always have a few new things that are a surprise but delightful and beautifully presented. Bravo!!!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2012Absolutely delicious!!!! Not your traditional Mexican food. I had the Carne Asada and it was so good. The wait staff was very attentive. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- I had taken a stab at pickingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/30/2012I had taken a stab at picking one of the few Mexican restaurants on listed Open Table and was delightfully surprised by the result.Special Features:
- Mole-licious!!!! What a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2012Mole-licious!!!! What a wonderful experience. Great food, great service, great price!Special Features:
- Outstanding and authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/28/2012Outstanding and authentic Mexican fare! Exceeds even Topolobampo and other gourmet Mexican.Special Features:
- food was good and flavorful;thebugdocedVIPDined on 12/11/2011food was good and flavorful;the margaritas needed to be better in both size and flavorSpecial Features:
- We had a wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011We had a wonderful evening at Sol de Mexico. the food was outstanding. Everyone had something different in our party of nine and raved about each and every entree. We had a toddler with us and she was enthralled with the decor. Service was very attentive. A definite hit!Special Features:
- Sol De Mexico Reflects SoulLTSTECFVIPDined on 11/26/2011Sol De Mexico is simply outstanding. From the sopes, to the moles to the very best sopa Azteca, you must, must go here. The margaritas are fantastic and the service is great. Please eat local and visit this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Upscale Mexican probably wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/31/2011Upscale Mexican probably would do better downtown or in trendier area. Innovative food and overzealous service may be worth the price, though one might expect to pay less based on location.Special Features:
- very good Mexican fare; manyChar47Dined on 7/28/2011very good Mexican fare; many dishes I have not seen elsewhere. Unusual Mole sauces seem to be the hallmark of this place. Neighborhood does not seem to have a lot else to offer in terms of restaurants, so this level of quality is nice to see in a relatively barren (for food) area. We live in Berwyn, not too far from New Rebozo on Madison, which is a somewhat similar place. We will probably go to New Rebozo instead of here due to proximity and maybe a touch more distinctive preparation - but Sol de Mexico is a good choice.Special Features: