251 East Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solcocina.com/
- Phone: (949) 675-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.), Dinner (Sun-Wed 4:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.; Thurs-Sat 4:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.), Happy Hour (4 p.m. – 7 p.m. daily in the bar and patio), and Weekend Brunch (10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Deborah Schneider
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering services as well as Dockside Catering options! http://www.solcocina.com/
- Entertainment: We offer live music every Tuesday night from 6:30 to 10:30 pm, Saturday night from 8:00 to 11:00 pm, and Sunday Brunch from Noon to 3:00 pm.
A word from Sol Cocina
The Best of Baja in the heart of Newport, SOL Cocina offers an upscale, yet inviting dining experience on the water in Newport Harbor. Executive Chef Deborah Schneider, a 2009 James Beard Foundation Book Award Nominee, has created a menu of contemporary and gourmet interpretations of Baja street cuisine,Continued
inlcuding antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main dishes made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made fresh daily.
inlcuding antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main dishes made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made fresh daily.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sol Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (62)fit for foodies (41)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (35)good for groups (33)special occasion (30)great for lunch (23)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (21)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Family FunCarrierfDined on 11/10/20148 of us from different states had a family dinner at Sol Cocina. The menu was varied so everyone from foodies to gluten free vegans could find something they really liked. We really enjoyed the margarita menu that had things like pineapple/jalapeño and mango/chile ingredients. Prices were pleasantly moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dishes!Foodie4shoDined on 11/7/2014Sol is a restaurant that puts a unique twist on Mexican food. They have great drinks. Their margaritas are different, high quality and well balanced in flavor. Their bartenders are very consistent, as well, so if you like a drink, you can always get the same delicious flavor, time after time. Overall, this is a great place to have an awesome night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We had a lovely family meal, with super service and great food. Kids menus v intuititive - even down to no salsa option. As a Brit only criticism I'd that portions are too large! As always in USA wine super expensive, and not huge knowledge from server. but very nice bottle chosen - Honig from Napa Valley was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014We really enjoyed our dinner for my birthday celebration at Sol Cocina. The ambiance is beautiful, fabulous decor and a wonderful setting overlooking the marina. The food was excellent. I love their serano/pineapple margarita! YUM! Service was excellent. We look forward to our next dinner there.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We were in town for only one night, and they were very accommodating to fit us in. Great food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The food was great and the servers were very attentive. A bit different than your ordinary Mexican restaurant. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Delicious Brunch - Stellar Views!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014What a view overlooking the Newport Bay! Service exceptional, great brunch menu, and fresh Mexican specialties. Really good cocktails. Beef burrito with a delicious red sauce was a favorite! Food is fresh and clean. Reasonably priced. Definitely a great brunch stop. Beautiful décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tacos and tequilaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Great place for action on a Tuesday night. Live music, lots of actionSpecial Features:
- Consistent high quality mexicanjes999VIPDined on 10/13/2014Sol offers very good Mexican food. High quality ingredients and unique flavors. Don't come here looking for a basic plate of enchiladas!Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisededoinhbDined on 10/11/2014Met a couple we have not seen for 30 years. Restaurant reviews were mixed. Some said pricey for very little food. We really enjoyed the food, service, and the prices were reasonable given the location and ambience. I had the chicken enchiladas and my wife had the tacos. Both were excellent. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014Food is not bad. Unfortunately after having a reservation, we were given a table by the kitchen and we asked to change. The restaurant seems to value large parties more than smaller parties. So after arranging for a 15 people party, a tiny table was left over and that was given to us. A little disappointing. Tony our server is great. He made up for the other mishap.
- Waiters push high priced itemsLocaldinerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Love the place, but I wish the waiters would stop pushing hard the high priced drinks and food. Way too lengthy explanations re how much better the $18 margaritas are and the specials listed without a price. It's definitely high pressure, lengthy, and makes things awkward. Other than that, I still love the place. Very good food, fair prices for the quality, and good service once the ordering is done. Not a high-end restaurant, but a much needed very good mid-price restaurant. And generally healthy food is a nice bonus.
- Yum!!!Sel0411Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent guacamole and delicious fish tacos!! Will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fun place to go!lovegreatfoodVIPDined on 9/23/2014SOL is a very fun place to go! Went on Taco Tuesday and it was very busy. The service was great. Tried several tacos that were all very tasty such as the filet & shrimp El Jefe and the Taco Viper. The naked guac and salsas were delicious. There is an awesome selection of Margaritas. Very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!babybearDined on 9/20/2014My girlfriend and I were very pleased with our visit to Sol Cocina. The service was great, our waitress was very polite and checked on us every few minutes. She made sure we were doing well and we didn't need to wait long for our drinks to be refilled. Overall this retaurant is amazing for any occasion. The food and drinks are great and not pricey. You really get your money's worth. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Noisy and rushedEmBeeDined on 9/19/2014Upsell is the nicest thing I can say. Food is average. Servers push for the most expensive items on the menu, including the $18 margarita. Not a single dessert on menu without chocolate. Totally disappointing.
- Service SucksPickyeater39Dined on 9/13/2014Server sucked. We had to get the manager to bring drinks even though we tried several times to get our waiter. Took almost an hour to order food despite us asking the waiter several times. I ordered a 2 taco plate w/sides he told me "there are better options" where he directed me to the front page & said "this is better for you". I did not realize until I got my plate that it was only 1 taco & nothing else. It was my birthday and if I felt like eating alot & drinking that is my busn. We got accosted by a guy who after hanging out w/the manager tried to recruit my friends and I as strippers for his bar. We told the manager who first denied knowing him & then gave us a free round of drinks after we told him we saw them hanging out.Special Features:
- Mac2Dined on 9/9/2014My friends and I enjoyed the tacos and great sauces. Have to try the warm goat cheese. It is an open dinning next to the bar. Great that you can see everyone but very noisey. It was hard to hear the live music. Fun place with groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodUnhappydinerDined on 9/6/2014The food and service were good. Our waitress was really good. We will not go there again because of the noise level It is horribly loud.Special Features:
- I love solSnewkDined on 9/1/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. Everything is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food in the OCdailydinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sol Cocina is a neighborhood favorite. Located perfectly on the Newport Bay with with plenty of windows to enjoy the view. The food is amazing. So many choices of healthy mexican dishes. The fish tacos and chipotle shrimp burrito are my favorites. My husband loves the carnitas burrito and shrimp tacos. I highly recommend thid restaraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!LuvfoodDined on 8/30/2014Started off with the Chorizo and mushroom con quezo appetizer. That was a meal in itself, and it was very good. The chorizo was very crispy and they use Mexican type cheese. I tried several different tacos, but the Vampiro was the best! The meat was seasoned and cooked perfectly, only thing I would order it without the chipotle sauce. I thought it was going to be an authentic Mexican chipotle salsa but it was a mayonnaise based chipotle sauce. ( and I hate mayo) BUT, it was still a delicious taco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I wasn't crazy about the chips and dip. the portion of guacamole was extremely small. Service was good.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceJmw0233Dined on 8/23/2014We went here for girls night out. The food was really good and so were the margaritas (love the cucumber jalepeno margarita!). But the service wasn't very good. It was so slow. Our water wasn't refilled quickly and we had to keep asking for refills. If we asked for anything, it took so long we thought they forgot. Our server was not very attentive. I would still recommend for the food and ambiance though. Just be prepared for a very slow, leslisurely mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful foodSasaDined on 8/23/2014So I chose this place because I'd driven by many times and liked the location. We went on Sunday around 11:00 am for brunch. And 5 guests were there. (First clue). The place was surprisingly dark and rundown with deteriorating seat cushions. The chips were bad, the salsa was weak, the food was greasy and unappealing. Even my diet coke was flat. The service, however, was excellent since they were all standing around with no one else to serve. I told one employee to find another job.
- Consistently Excellent!1happybellyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I can never visit Orange County without dining at SOL.....the food, service and ambiance are extraordinary and I love eating at the counter by the kitchen to watch the chefs and cooks work their magic. Their take on Baja cuisine is delicious and I love the freshness of everything I've picked from the menu: guacamole SOL (sexy dressed-up guac), ceviche SOL (super fresh ingredients and delicious sashimi-grad fish), white corn & poblano soup (can't go wrong just look at the ingredients), taco vampiro (just the name should tell you how good it is), shrimp chile relleno (totally unique preparation and presentation) and the carnitas street tacos. Make sure you don't miss the cucumber jalapeno margaritas either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Go!MaurionDined on 8/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, you really should call in advance for dinner outings. The service is great, their waiter staff is well rounded in food selection and if you like margaritas, try their Bulldog.Special Features:
- So loud!DaisyGirlDined on 8/12/2014Not a great date night spot, It's far too loud. The food was good, tasty strawberry basil martini.Special Features:
- average foodGnocchiOCVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food is just very average at best, and when coupled with the higher prices for average food you realize that this place is best for drinks and appetizers, not dinner. Not worth going to dinner/lunch here at all. It's a bit of a scene so if you are looking for a nice crowd with an extensive selection of margaritas this is it. I brought a business parter of mine who was from out of town and he had the same thoughts except he was perhaps more underwhelmed than I was with the food.Special Features:
- Sol CocinaJazz4everDined on 8/6/2014This is the restaurant where we will go every time we are in Newport Beach. The menu is very creative with a Mexican regional base.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun dinner w/ friendsyummers866Dined on 8/2/2014Met here for dinner and we were not disappointed. Fun atmosphere. . We sat outside so noise level was better and great view. Wonderful tacos and margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 637 reviews are from the Sol Cocina reviews archive.
- Fantastic MexicanAnonymousDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for great Mexican on our vacation and Sol definitely delivered. I had the Wild Fish on Esquitas - absolutely delicious. My kids had Carne Asada tacos and ate all! Guacamole was amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican cuisine...mgx1138Dined on 7/27/2014We did an early Sunday dinner at Sol Cocina... place was very busy at 5:30pm; lots of families coming from the beach. Service was only okay, but considering that the restaurant was packed, the waitstaff did okay. Food quality was very good; all the ingredients tasted significantly better than your average local. Carne asada was made with an nice cut of flank steak (I think) and was lean and nicely seasoned. Tacos were also very good quality, but we both thought the seasoning with hot peppers was a bit overdone. We did get a nice burn, but not too subtle on the flavors here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!fridaysforeverDined on 7/26/2014Took my mother here when we were staying in Newport and the restaurant did not disappoint! Excellent food and service. The waiter talked me into a different margarita than what I had originally ordered based on the fact I said I did not like them too sweet, and what came out was the perfect margarita I was looking for. I highly recommend the roasted poblano chile rellenos - delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic atmospheretbl42Dined on 7/19/2014The food was amazing. At the beginning of our meal we didn't get any water or our drinks for about ten minutes, but other than that our server was great the drinks were great. Nice kick to the cucumber jalapeno margarita. Afterwards we went up to the bar listened to the live music over one more round of drinks. It's water front with boats outside. The bar is very nice included with a fireplace. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A PLEASING EXPERIENCEmalaialuv27Dined on 7/18/2014Had reservations for friday night. Had to wait 15 mins but it's ok cause the service from the waiter was fantastic. He was funny, very sweet and helped us make great selections in drinks. We came out very satisfied and will forever remember that night. Food was amazing as always, and ambiance was perfect. This was the second time we take our friends and they love it Sol as much as we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sol CocinaSharkiDined on 7/16/2014scenic harbor view, upscale Mexican menu, freshly made with a foodie flair, great vibe. The service was excellent. Sunday Brunch a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedannnnnnnnnnnnnnDined on 7/14/2014I ordered the "market price" fish... and it was so overcooked I couldn't eat it. I choked on a fish bone and although the service was great - the food was close to terrible, despite a menu that really had me thinking this was going to be amazing. The calamari appetizer came out in 6 inch thick bricks... and although when we arrived at 6:45 the place was full, with people waiting... when we left at 7:55... it was nearly empty, which tells mw I am not alone in my opinion.
- Fabulous brunch/ beautiful spotHonest1VIPDined on 7/13/2014Sol is a lively spot located right on the water. I love their menu because it has a wide range of price options/ portion sizes and selections to choose from. Their margaritas are really good; their drink list is creative such as a berry and serrano margarita- yum! Sol is great for large groups. It is one of the only restaurants I've found in OC that is accommodating. I've celebrated bridal showers and birthday parties here (both on the patio and in the private room downstairs) and I think Sol does a fantastic job.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our lunchTakeMyAdviceVIPDined on 7/13/2014The coconut calamari is excellent. The steak burrito not to my liking. The steak was cut into little bits. Would have been better cut in strips. Probably wouldn't order that again. Disappointed they don't service flower tortilla's with their tacos. Corn tacos are like cardboard. That made my menu selection items very limited.