15323 N. Scottsdale Rd Suite 195
Scottsdale, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://solcocina.com/scottsdale/
- Phone: (480) 245-6708
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
Bar: Sunday - Thursday 11 am - 12:00 am, Friday & Saturday 11 am - 12:00 am
Happy Hour: Daily 3:00 to 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Deborah Schneider
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Acoustic Music:
Tuesday: 5:30 – 9:30 pm
Sunday: noon – 3:00 pm
- Special Events: SOL Cocina has a private dining room, with a private bar. This room can be configured to accommodate large and small parties, up to 100 guests. For your event planning needs, please contact email@example.com.
A word from SOL Cocina
The Best of Baja in the heart of North Scottsdale at the Scottsdale Quarter, SOL Cocina offers an upscale, yet inviting dining experience. Executive Chef Deborah Schneider, a James Beard nominated cookbook author and authority on authentic Mexican cuisine, has created a menu of contemporary and gourmet interpretations of coastal Baja dishes, including antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main entrees made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made in-house daily. A variety of dishes are available vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. The vibrant bar offers inventive hand-made cocktails and more than 60 artisan tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOL Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (42)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (21)special occasion (16)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)romantic (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Service and food both worth the stop!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014We were looking for a nice place to eat that was something different than the normal fare we had been eating on our trip to Scottsdale. We decided to try SOL Cocina after reading the reviews and it definitely lived up to the accolades that it was getting online. We had a great server (with help from a couple of assistants) who not only knew the food but the tequila selections as well. We saw families, business gatherings and couples and the ambiance was appropriate for each of them. There was even TV's to check on the game status without any feeling of being in a sports bar situation. We loved it and will go back when we are in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole worth the visitSRG53VIPDined on 11/6/2014We have become regulars here when we are visiting. Great menu, reasonably priced and great service. Loved the fish special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and drinksPerkyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Loved the goat cheese appetizer and tortilla soup! The soup was huge and some of the best tortilla soup I've ever had. I had the shrimp taco and the fish taco - both excellent! My husband had the chile rellenos and really liked them as well. Service was great! Would definitely recommend - not your usual Mexican place!Special Features:
- Good, but not greatHamptonKnitterDined on 11/4/2014Sol had been recommended to me by others attending our conference. We went with high expectations and found the food good, but not great. The ingredients were obviously fresh, but everything was a little bland. They had provided salt and other seasonings at the table, but I'd rather not experiment with seasonings on my own. The highlight of the meal were the tortilla chips -- whole corn tortillas, baked with seasonings. They were different and awesome. I'd go back with a group if we were looking for someplace fun, but not because I enjoyed my meal so much I want to have it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different MexicanNigeWirralDined on 11/1/2014Didn't have as wide a menu as we had hoped but the tacos we ordered were nice. Order arrived wrong but the server realised and went and replaces the missing items immediately.Special Features:
- Not your average Mexican fareNEBSVIPDined on 10/31/2014Happy to find excellent Baja Mexican food. Highly recommend the guacamole with goat cheese, pomegranate seeds with candied walnuts. Everything was great from margaritas to excellent tacos. Service was wonderful with highly knowledgeable staff. Kudos to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDeeDeeDined on 10/25/2014Party of 8 for dinner Saturday night. Menu has changed & did not offer the variety it did last season. Chicken tortilla soap was great but other than that the food lacked. Salads were flat as were the taco's.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014The ambiance was nice enough being that the restaurant is located the trendy Scottsdale Quarter. However, the food was average and the prices high.Special Features:
- Visiting from MinnesotaRockyVIPDined on 10/16/2014We found this restaurant and met with a friend who lives in Phoenix who had never dined at SOL. We all loved it. You can order individual tacos so you can try many kinds. Every one of them was great! We started with the signature guacamole- yummy! The sides available were delicious as well, quinoa salad, beans, rice. A bit noisy, but still able to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration lunch6CelebrationFoodiesDined on 10/14/2014This venue was perfect for a special occasion. The service was excellent and the food great! We did not feel rushed and enjoyed being able to leisurely dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually Good; not up to parsherryshoes1VIPDined on 10/4/2014Guess everyone has a bad night every now and then. Hostess very unaccommodating with table request. Also didn't pass on the birthday info to our server so didn't get the Bday dessert we were promised. Entrees brought out before appetizers; twice! And on and on. Were it not for a very gracious manager who "made things right" in the end, I would never think of going back. But because of her accommodation, I'm willing to give this place one more shot and hope it was just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SSellsPhillyVIPDined on 9/28/2014The staff was phenomenal! We were a party of 12 and it was a great time, well expedited and served meal!Special Features:
- SIGDinnerVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had an excellent meal at Sol with every dish full of flavor and well prepared. The menu is always varied and has lots of options. Our server Micheal was wonderful and very knowledgeable. He was attentive and had a good grasp of the menu. Overall a wonderful meal and we will be back.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisyBrianDined on 9/27/2014The specialty tacos and grilled corn were appreciated by the group. Conversation was hindered by noise but we were near the kitchen so perhaps further back was a bit calmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKemagirl1Dined on 9/25/2014The food was delicious and our waitress was fantastic. She went through the menu with us and helped us to order what we would enjoy. We really enjoyed our experience and appreciated the complimentary desert as it was our first time.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseAzbritsDined on 9/21/2014First time here and it was a pleasant surprise. Service was good and very friendly. Started with coconut calamari which was the biggest I have ever seen. Fresh tacos to follow which tasted great and the beans and rice weren't smothered in cheese- hooray! Overall a great experience and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014waiter made several mistakes during the course of the dinner. One entree was left out completely,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lv2eatDined on 9/13/2014The food and the service were both excellent. Everything homemade and super freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are regularsJoeschmo123VIPDined on 9/6/2014We love sol it's definitely a place to eat some great Baja Mexican food a++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!!luv2eatVIPDined on 9/4/2014We return to scottsdale often to golf and go to SOL. We love the service ,the food and the cocktails. We always sit at the bar.Special Features:
- Stellar ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014The food here is amazing and stands apart in a city with plenty of Mexican places....but the service here is what takes it to the next level. Seldome do I find a hostess has read my OpenTable comments for our needs (e.g. celebrating a Bday or if our daughter is with us needs a highchair) but this restaurant has our table ready EVERY time - they never miss a beat and make us feel so welcome from the moment we set foot in the door - great job front of house :)Special Features:
- love itluv2eatVIPDined on 9/1/2014we come to scottsdale from vancouver our first stop is always Sol Cocina this trip we dined 2 times for dinner and 1 time for lunch in 4 days we love the food service and drinks the bartender was fab our favourite food items are the ceviche and the fillet and prawn tacoSpecial Features:
- BadTarantinoDined on 8/15/2014Had dinner with friends on a Friday night.the service was good...but...the food was terrible.i ordered the Burrito...it came on the cool side...the waiter told me to be careful because the plate was hot...the plate was hot but not the food the waiter took it back ..I had to wait 10 mins.while my guest ate their meal.I received my dinner which had no appeal...no presentation at all...and it tasted as bad as it looked....it was bland.. tasteless plus it.still wasn't very warm.I've had better at fast food restaurants..Then when my friend ordered some sour cream that came in a shot glass as much as a thumb full she was charged extra for it...that was ridiculous !!! My friends dinners weren't much better...we will not return !
- Great foodTheBloodmanDined on 8/11/2014We found this place by accident while searching for a place close by while on vacation. I ordered the chicken quesadilla. Two of these covered the entire plate with a side of rice and beans. These were packed full of chicken and cheese. I had a hard time finishiing them and had no room for desert. They were cooked to perfection and delicious. Very vibrant place with good service.Special Features:
- great service. food just ok.ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 8/9/2014made a last minute reservation here. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. the atmosphere was fun for a Saturday night, definitely both couples and groups of friends enjoying themselves. however, the food left something to be desired. our tortillas were too chewy/tough to be enjoyable and the fish in the fish tacos was too dense (not flaky). Maybe a good choice for meeting friends for apps and drinks but don't come for just the food.Special Features:
- Great find!travelinfamDined on 7/30/2014The food was delicious, service attentive, ambience romantic! We will be back in the area in October & this will be a must!Special Features:
- The following 333 reviews are from the SOL Cocina reviews archive.
- Great Food. Kinda Loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Great Food. Loud inside. They moved us outside so it was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed on SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Salad was bland,chicken without flavor. Not enough salsa and rude server. Our food was served incomplete and we mentioned missing item's. The server was quick to say she is not our waiter. Very loud music, hard to have a conversation for 6 of us. No one thanked us for our business as manager just stood around. We never received missing food items.Special Features:
- Worst serviceJulieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Carmen was our server. She had the worst attitude I have ever seen. The hostess wasn't much better. They first sat us in the back room. We asked to move. Our original waiter was very nice and helpful. The hostess told us all the other tables were booked. We were a group of 4. Nothing special. When we got our old waiter involved we were moved. Only problem. He didn't move with us. We got Carmen. I asked her about rum options in drinks. She said sorry we don't have any blended drinks, instead of giving me another option, I drank water. We ordered appetizers with plans for dinner. She tried to take our menus and said we ordered a lot of food. My friends has a spanish accent and she was so rude when she didn't understand them.
- disappointedBarberDined on 7/24/2014The disappointment began when we arrived 5 minutes prior to our 7pm reservation for two and we were eventually seated 20 minutes later. This would not have been quite so bad if we had not walked by 6 empty tables on the way to one we were eventually seated at. The staff from the hostess to the waiter were quick and short, no time to make us feel like guests...it felt like we were in the "assembly" line of an In/Out burger line. The food was good but overall SOL Cocina way underperformed when compared to the many other establishments in the Kierland/SQ area.
- FriendlyfoodiefriendlyfoodieDined on 7/24/2014Best tacos in town. Guacamole terrific. Wonderful margaritas. Staff friendly, efficient and attentive tho' harried cuz' place is always packed. Vibe is great. When weather is not so hot, eating outdoors here is a treat.Special Features:
- Great first experienceAZDUTCHDined on 7/18/2014Friendly and knowlegable service, great menu choices, food was exellent. Will defenitely visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJoeschmo123VIPDined on 7/11/2014I have been here over a dozen times it is awesome I love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingSophis1234VIPDined on 7/10/2014When it comes to Mexican food in the greater Phoenix area, if you like the Baja, you will like Sol.Special Features:
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014We had a group of 10 for a business dinner. Everyone raved about the food but the noise level was a little too loud for conversations. Great place with live music!Special Features:
- A little disappointedNoneDined on 6/29/2014The service was outstanding, the decor was wonderful but the food was disappointing. Rice not good. Too dry without flavor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Nice twist on traditional Mexican. Lots of good vegetarian optionsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent food and service. Highly recommend! Take pride in delivering wonderful food with distinct flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatMiguelDined on 6/15/2014Love Sol...always serving up consistently great Mexican/California dishes different from the usual Mexican valley restaurants...Special Features:
- Flash without substanceDiningDocVIPDined on 6/14/2014Alrhough the scene at SOL Cantina is certainly vibrant, the food and drinks leave you wanting. Their lobster tacos, although generous in portion, were bland. The ceviche was inexplicably tart, almost to the point of being inedible. The cucumber jalapeño margarita tasted like it was poured from concentrate...and they forgot to water it down. Very disappointing. With the vast array of fantastic dining choices in Scottsdale, there's no reason to choose SOL again.