15323 N. Scottsdale Rd Suite 195
Scottsdale, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://solcocina.com/scottsdale/
- Phone: 480-245-6708
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
Bar: Sunday - Thursday 11 am - 12:00 am, Friday & Saturday 11 am - 12:00 am
Happy Hour: Daily 3:00 to 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Deborah Schneider
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Acoustic Music:
Tuesday: 5:30 – 9:30 pm
Sunday: noon – 3:00 pm
- Special Events: SOL Cocina has a private dining room, with a private bar. This room can be configured to accommodate large and small parties, up to 100 guests. For your event planning needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from SOL Cocina
The Best of Baja in the heart of North Scottsdale at the Scottsdale Quarter, SOL Cocina offers an upscale, yet inviting dining experience. Executive Chef Deborah Schneider, a James Beard nominated cookbook author and authority on authentic Mexican cuisine, has created a menu of contemporary and gourmet interpretations of coastal Baja dishes, including antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main entrees made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made in-house daily. A variety of dishes are available vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. The vibrant bar offers inventive hand-made cocktails and more than 60 artisan tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
SOL Cocina - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
SOL Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (42)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (21)great for lunch (20)late-night find (15)romantic (14)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Lv2eatDined on 9/13/2014The food and the service were both excellent. Everything homemade and super freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are regularsJoeschmo123VIPDined on 9/6/2014We love sol it's definitely a place to eat some great Baja Mexican food a++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014The food here is amazing and stands apart in a city with plenty of Mexican places....but the service here is what takes it to the next level. Seldome do I find a hostess has read my OpenTable comments for our needs (e.g. celebrating a Bday or if our daughter is with us needs a highchair) but this restaurant has our table ready EVERY time - they never miss a beat and make us feel so welcome from the moment we set foot in the door - great job front of house :)Special Features:
- love itluv2eatVIPDined on 9/1/2014we come to scottsdale from vancouver our first stop is always Sol Cocina this trip we dined 2 times for dinner and 1 time for lunch in 4 days we love the food service and drinks the bartender was fab our favourite food items are the ceviche and the fillet and prawn tacoSpecial Features:
- BadTarantinoDined on 8/15/2014Had dinner with friends on a Friday night.the service was good...but...the food was terrible.i ordered the Burrito...it came on the cool side...the waiter told me to be careful because the plate was hot...the plate was hot but not the food the waiter took it back ..I had to wait 10 mins.while my guest ate their meal.I received my dinner which had no appeal...no presentation at all...and it tasted as bad as it looked....it was bland.. tasteless plus it.still wasn't very warm.I've had better at fast food restaurants..Then when my friend ordered some sour cream that came in a shot glass as much as a thumb full she was charged extra for it...that was ridiculous !!! My friends dinners weren't much better...we will not return !
- Great foodTheBloodmanDined on 8/11/2014We found this place by accident while searching for a place close by while on vacation. I ordered the chicken quesadilla. Two of these covered the entire plate with a side of rice and beans. These were packed full of chicken and cheese. I had a hard time finishiing them and had no room for desert. They were cooked to perfection and delicious. Very vibrant place with good service.Special Features:
- great service. food just ok.ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 8/9/2014made a last minute reservation here. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful. the atmosphere was fun for a Saturday night, definitely both couples and groups of friends enjoying themselves. however, the food left something to be desired. our tortillas were too chewy/tough to be enjoyable and the fish in the fish tacos was too dense (not flaky). Maybe a good choice for meeting friends for apps and drinks but don't come for just the food.Special Features:
- Great find!travelinfamDined on 7/30/2014The food was delicious, service attentive, ambience romantic! We will be back in the area in October & this will be a must!Special Features:
- Great Food. Kinda Loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Great Food. Loud inside. They moved us outside so it was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed on SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Salad was bland,chicken without flavor. Not enough salsa and rude server. Our food was served incomplete and we mentioned missing item's. The server was quick to say she is not our waiter. Very loud music, hard to have a conversation for 6 of us. No one thanked us for our business as manager just stood around. We never received missing food items.Special Features:
- Worst serviceJulieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Carmen was our server. She had the worst attitude I have ever seen. The hostess wasn't much better. They first sat us in the back room. We asked to move. Our original waiter was very nice and helpful. The hostess told us all the other tables were booked. We were a group of 4. Nothing special. When we got our old waiter involved we were moved. Only problem. He didn't move with us. We got Carmen. I asked her about rum options in drinks. She said sorry we don't have any blended drinks, instead of giving me another option, I drank water. We ordered appetizers with plans for dinner. She tried to take our menus and said we ordered a lot of food. My friends has a spanish accent and she was so rude when she didn't understand them.
- disappointedBarberDined on 7/24/2014The disappointment began when we arrived 5 minutes prior to our 7pm reservation for two and we were eventually seated 20 minutes later. This would not have been quite so bad if we had not walked by 6 empty tables on the way to one we were eventually seated at. The staff from the hostess to the waiter were quick and short, no time to make us feel like guests...it felt like we were in the "assembly" line of an In/Out burger line. The food was good but overall SOL Cocina way underperformed when compared to the many other establishments in the Kierland/SQ area.
- FriendlyfoodiefriendlyfoodieDined on 7/24/2014Best tacos in town. Guacamole terrific. Wonderful margaritas. Staff friendly, efficient and attentive tho' harried cuz' place is always packed. Vibe is great. When weather is not so hot, eating outdoors here is a treat.Special Features:
- Great first experienceAZDUTCHDined on 7/18/2014Friendly and knowlegable service, great menu choices, food was exellent. Will defenitely visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJoeschmo123VIPDined on 7/11/2014I have been here over a dozen times it is awesome I love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingSophis1234VIPDined on 7/10/2014When it comes to Mexican food in the greater Phoenix area, if you like the Baja, you will like Sol.Special Features:
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014We had a group of 10 for a business dinner. Everyone raved about the food but the noise level was a little too loud for conversations. Great place with live music!Special Features:
- A little disappointedNoneDined on 6/29/2014The service was outstanding, the decor was wonderful but the food was disappointing. Rice not good. Too dry without flavor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Nice twist on traditional Mexican. Lots of good vegetarian optionsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent food and service. Highly recommend! Take pride in delivering wonderful food with distinct flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatMiguelDined on 6/15/2014Love Sol...always serving up consistently great Mexican/California dishes different from the usual Mexican valley restaurants...Special Features:
- Flash without substanceDiningDocVIPDined on 6/14/2014Alrhough the scene at SOL Cantina is certainly vibrant, the food and drinks leave you wanting. Their lobster tacos, although generous in portion, were bland. The ceviche was inexplicably tart, almost to the point of being inedible. The cucumber jalapeño margarita tasted like it was poured from concentrate...and they forgot to water it down. Very disappointing. With the vast array of fantastic dining choices in Scottsdale, there's no reason to choose SOL again.
- Carmen, our server...my2centsDined on 6/7/2014Coming in from California for a conference, we reserved a table at SOL as our first meal in Scottsdale. What else can I say other than "WOW!" We were seated in Carmen's station and could not have been happier. Carmen was very pleasant to talk to. She had great knowledge of the menu, the wine list, and most importantly... creating our enjoyable experience. She never pressured us to order but instead said to take our time (which we did!) and to signal when ready. We had apps. We had wine. We felt like guests... not customers. Such a trait is missing in so many servers these days. The food? Amazing! The wine? Carmen's nailed it for what my palate asked for. Hats off to SOL and Carmen for a great night. Carmen, good luck to you and your family.Special Features:
- Love this placeGuyinAZVIPDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I walked upon Sol approximately 3 months ago while strolling around the Scottsdale Quarter. We have been back 5 times and have brought friends or family 3 of those times and have enjoyed every visit. The food is really wonderful in a very competitive market for 'Mexican' food. I've grown up on this type of food and really could eat it every day. I believe the burritos at Sol are among the best I've ever had. They are light, yet filling; they are not a heavy, mushy mess of ingredients. We consider Sol one of our new favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food not so goodfoodieDined on 6/6/2014The location is excellent, the decoration and service very nice, but the food is not more than average. Probably won't come backSpecial Features:
- SOL for the SoulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Making a reservation is quick and easy and the staff politely confirms. My date and I were meet with smiles and brought to a nice cozy table Food was superb as was the service.Special Features:
- Favorite Mexican FoodluveatingoutVIPDined on 5/28/2014We now enjoy Sol Cocina as our favorite Mexican food restaurant in Scottsdale!Special Features:
- Good food and service.FoodraiderDined on 5/26/2014Outside dining just ok--right on the street...will try inside next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekjulesyummyDined on 5/24/2014First time I ever ate of menu for Restaurant Week ... boy have I been missing out! Food was amazing and selections very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fawget itputawksDined on 5/24/2014i looked at the online menu and i read many reviews before making my reservation at sol cocina. i should have been more aware that the reviewers were out of towners.. this scottsdale quarter location has been the site of many previous restaurants and this too will have a short life . our waiter was pushing the guacamole each time he came to the table... i ordered 2 tacos, TACO BUFALADA at $6.50 and the GARLIC RIBEYE STEAK TACO at $10.50. the two tacos were served on a 8 inch oval plate. i should have taken a picture to show the2 dried out slivers of meat . .. $ 17 what a rip. the food did not live up to its description i would have given no stars to the food if that was an option
- The following 309 reviews are from the SOL Cocina reviews archive.
- great foodvinceVIPDined on 5/22/2014great food , good service....parking a bit difficult unless you valetSpecial Features:
- dw04Dined on 5/20/2014Too noisy. Hard to visit with out of town guests. Waiter was too hurried. Food ok but nothing that great.
- Restaurant WeekWorldTravelerVIPDined on 5/19/2014On vacation in Scottsdale, tried Sol's restaurant week offering. Excellent Baja-style food. Guacamole with strawberry was a great taste. Shrimp chili relleno was one of best I've ever had. The creme brûlée with raspberry was unique and very good. Our server was exceptional, knee everything about the menu. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchMeowDined on 5/18/2014We went there for a Sunday brunch.. Very good (Crab and Shrimp Benedict - delish!) Mimosas' always good. They also has live entertainment around 12-12:30 as well - Overall, I'd go againSpecial Features:
- Great overallAngeinsbDined on 5/16/2014Had lunch with my sister here last week and had a great time. One of the best meals I have had in Scottsdale. The service was outstanding and the food was very tasty. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- rustyVIPDined on 5/13/2014We enjoyed a wonderful "Happy Hour" the other afternoon. Excellent guacamole, street tacos and chips. The pork carnitas were outstanding!! We will be back! The service was very good, despite the fact that they were very busylSpecial Features:
- Mom's Day lunchgtmagalDined on 5/11/2014My daughter and I celebrated a grown-up lunch at SOL Cantina on Mother's Day. She ordered the Vampiro Carne Asada and I ordered the Shrimp Torta. Both were delightfully prepared and presented. My daughter raved about the medium rare doneness of her Carne Asada and my shrimp was yummy crunchy. Although we declined dessert, our waiter surprised us with a small complimentary chocolate pastry (for Mother's Day, I assume). Our only slight complaint was that the tables were so close together that we frequently had to lean over as families walked by to other tables. I'd like to meet my gal pals there for a happy hour some night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always so pleased...AZluvVIPDined on 5/10/2014I always enjoy the food here so much I couldn't say anything bad. Service was good and it was an awesome night for sitting outside. Overall another good experience at Sol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table Reservations for 3UndecidedDined on 5/5/2014I'll preference this with the food was great and the waiter, Clark, was great. The reservation situation was really despicable. We were of the 1% in this restaurant who had the courtesy to make a reservation knowing it was a holiday. We were phoned & emailed reminding us of the reservation. The hostess was going to seat us in the back room where there was a small table in the corner of an extremely crowded & loud room. On the way,I noticed an empty table next to the window & door to the outdoor dining area & asked to be seated there but was told it was reserved? We did sit at the table by the window &outside dining area & had a wonderful evening. Fortunately, the waiter was great & the food good. I don't know whether we will return.Special Features:
- surprised this timestillneedasushifixVIPDined on 5/5/2014I have had fun late night drinks here many, many times. I love how the bar is set up. However, the 3/4 times my husband and I have come for dinner we are always disappointed. Rice and beans that have been sitting around all day and tacos that seem to have nothing in them. I got fried fish tacos once and when I went to remove some of the breading there was like a sliver of fish there. So, we were completely done with this place. Never going back...until my girlfriend wanted to go there for LUNCH. I decided to get the beet and watermelon salad and I was so surprised it came out of their kitchen. It was delish. I would get it again and now maybe even return for lunch to give them another chance. Sat outside and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.