251 East Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.solcocina.com/
- Phone: 9496759800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.), Dinner (Sun-Wed 4:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.; Thurs-Sat 4:30 p.m. – 11 p.m.), Happy Hour (4 p.m. – 7 p.m. daily in the bar and patio), and Weekend Brunch (10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Deborah Schneider
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full catering services as well as Dockside Catering options! http://www.solcocina.com/
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private downstairs dining room lit with a beautiful candle wall secluded from the noise of the public dining room. Music is on it's own volume control and we can host events from 20-55 guests (35 seated, 55 standing) depending on the style of menu selected. A private bar is also available upon request for this room. We also have a patio looking out onto the Balboa marina that can accommodate 20-50 guests (35 seated, 50 standing) depending on the style of menu selected. Parties looking to book for more than 50 guests can talk with the Events Coordinator about partial and full buyouts of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Paige Wylie (520) 834-3748x
- Entertainment: We offer live music every Tuesday night from 6:30 to 10:30 pm, Saturday night from 8:00 to 11:00 pm, and Sunday Brunch from Noon to 3:00 pm.
A word from Sol Cocina
The Best of Baja in the heart of Newport, SOL Cocina offers an upscale, yet inviting dining experience on the water in Newport Harbor. Executive Chef Deborah Schneider, a 2009 James Beard Foundation Book Award Nominee, has created a menu of contemporary and gourmet interpretations of Baja street cuisine,Continued
inlcuding antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main dishes made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made fresh daily.
inlcuding antojitos, street tacos, cocktels de mariscos and main dishes made with fresh seafood, wood grilled meats, local produce and salsas that are all made fresh daily.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sol Cocina - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Sol Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (81)vibrant bar scene (49)good for groups (48)fit for foodies (47)hot spot (45)special occasion (38)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (35)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (24)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (11)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Best Mexican food in the OCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Sol Cocina is a neighborhood favorite. Located perfectly on the Newport Bay with with plenty of windows to enjoy the view. The food is amazing. So many choices of healthy mexican dishes. The fish tacos and chipotle shrimp burrito are my favorites. My husband loves the carnitas burrito and shrimp tacos. I highly recommend thid restaraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!LuvfoodDined on 8/30/2014Started off with the Chorizo and mushroom con quezo appetizer. That was a meal in itself, and it was very good. The chorizo was very crispy and they use Mexican type cheese. I tried several different tacos, but the Vampiro was the best! The meat was seasoned and cooked perfectly, only thing I would order it without the chipotle sauce. I thought it was going to be an authentic Mexican chipotle salsa but it was a mayonnaise based chipotle sauce. ( and I hate mayo) BUT, it was still a delicious taco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I wasn't crazy about the chips and dip. the portion of guacamole was extremely small. Service was good.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceJmw0233Dined on 8/23/2014We went here for girls night out. The food was really good and so were the margaritas (love the cucumber jalepeno margarita!). But the service wasn't very good. It was so slow. Our water wasn't refilled quickly and we had to keep asking for refills. If we asked for anything, it took so long we thought they forgot. Our server was not very attentive. I would still recommend for the food and ambiance though. Just be prepared for a very slow, leslisurely mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful foodSasaDined on 8/23/2014So I chose this place because I'd driven by many times and liked the location. We went on Sunday around 11:00 am for brunch. And 5 guests were there. (First clue). The place was surprisingly dark and rundown with deteriorating seat cushions. The chips were bad, the salsa was weak, the food was greasy and unappealing. Even my diet coke was flat. The service, however, was excellent since they were all standing around with no one else to serve. I told one employee to find another job.
- Consistently Excellent!1happybellyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I can never visit Orange County without dining at SOL.....the food, service and ambiance are extraordinary and I love eating at the counter by the kitchen to watch the chefs and cooks work their magic. Their take on Baja cuisine is delicious and I love the freshness of everything I've picked from the menu: guacamole SOL (sexy dressed-up guac), ceviche SOL (super fresh ingredients and delicious sashimi-grad fish), white corn & poblano soup (can't go wrong just look at the ingredients), taco vampiro (just the name should tell you how good it is), shrimp chile relleno (totally unique preparation and presentation) and the carnitas street tacos. Make sure you don't miss the cucumber jalapeno margaritas either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Go!MaurionDined on 8/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants, you really should call in advance for dinner outings. The service is great, their waiter staff is well rounded in food selection and if you like margaritas, try their Bulldog.Special Features:
- So loud!DaisyGirlDined on 8/12/2014Not a great date night spot, It's far too loud. The food was good, tasty strawberry basil martini.Special Features:
- average foodGnocchiOCVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food is just very average at best, and when coupled with the higher prices for average food you realize that this place is best for drinks and appetizers, not dinner. Not worth going to dinner/lunch here at all. It's a bit of a scene so if you are looking for a nice crowd with an extensive selection of margaritas this is it. I brought a business parter of mine who was from out of town and he had the same thoughts except he was perhaps more underwhelmed than I was with the food.Special Features:
- Sol CocinaJazz4everDined on 8/6/2014This is the restaurant where we will go every time we are in Newport Beach. The menu is very creative with a Mexican regional base.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun dinner w/ friendsyummers866Dined on 8/2/2014Met here for dinner and we were not disappointed. Fun atmosphere. . We sat outside so noise level was better and great view. Wonderful tacos and margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MexicanAnonymousDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for great Mexican on our vacation and Sol definitely delivered. I had the Wild Fish on Esquitas - absolutely delicious. My kids had Carne Asada tacos and ate all! Guacamole was amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Mexican cuisine...mgx1138Dined on 7/27/2014We did an early Sunday dinner at Sol Cocina... place was very busy at 5:30pm; lots of families coming from the beach. Service was only okay, but considering that the restaurant was packed, the waitstaff did okay. Food quality was very good; all the ingredients tasted significantly better than your average local. Carne asada was made with an nice cut of flank steak (I think) and was lean and nicely seasoned. Tacos were also very good quality, but we both thought the seasoning with hot peppers was a bit overdone. We did get a nice burn, but not too subtle on the flavors here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!fridaysforeverDined on 7/26/2014Took my mother here when we were staying in Newport and the restaurant did not disappoint! Excellent food and service. The waiter talked me into a different margarita than what I had originally ordered based on the fact I said I did not like them too sweet, and what came out was the perfect margarita I was looking for. I highly recommend the roasted poblano chile rellenos - delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic atmospheretbl42Dined on 7/19/2014The food was amazing. At the beginning of our meal we didn't get any water or our drinks for about ten minutes, but other than that our server was great the drinks were great. Nice kick to the cucumber jalapeno margarita. Afterwards we went up to the bar listened to the live music over one more round of drinks. It's water front with boats outside. The bar is very nice included with a fireplace. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A PLEASING EXPERIENCEmalaialuv27Dined on 7/18/2014Had reservations for friday night. Had to wait 15 mins but it's ok cause the service from the waiter was fantastic. He was funny, very sweet and helped us make great selections in drinks. We came out very satisfied and will forever remember that night. Food was amazing as always, and ambiance was perfect. This was the second time we take our friends and they love it Sol as much as we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sol CocinaSharkiDined on 7/16/2014scenic harbor view, upscale Mexican menu, freshly made with a foodie flair, great vibe. The service was excellent. Sunday Brunch a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedannnnnnnnnnnnnnDined on 7/14/2014I ordered the "market price" fish... and it was so overcooked I couldn't eat it. I choked on a fish bone and although the service was great - the food was close to terrible, despite a menu that really had me thinking this was going to be amazing. The calamari appetizer came out in 6 inch thick bricks... and although when we arrived at 6:45 the place was full, with people waiting... when we left at 7:55... it was nearly empty, which tells mw I am not alone in my opinion.
- Enjoyed our lunchTakeMyAdviceVIPDined on 7/13/2014The coconut calamari is excellent. The steak burrito not to my liking. The steak was cut into little bits. Would have been better cut in strips. Probably wouldn't order that again. Disappointed they don't service flower tortilla's with their tacos. Corn tacos are like cardboard. That made my menu selection items very limited.
- Great for Mexican any day or nightRammerDined on 7/12/2014Great for Mexican any day or night, and service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Good food & atmosphere; great location/view (on the water). However, it was a little expensive...especially the drinks.Special Features:
- Lovely experience!robenroxDined on 7/6/2014Wow, I was so happy to accidentally find this place. It's got a great view of the bay, wonderful food, and it's not pricey. I really enjoyed our experience, and plan to return. One word of advice - make reservations! It gets packed, even on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a success!SoCalFunDined on 7/6/2014Made reservation online using Open Table. Painless. Arrived 45 mins early. Host said, "No problem, we'll call you when your table is read". We had a cocktail in the lounge, which was buzzing with those talking advantage of Happy Hour (until 7pm...on a Sunday!!!) We got called, and they had a window seat waiting for us (I had requested a window seat via Open Table, since it was my dear friends birthday.) I was an isolated booth, too. So nice! Service and food was great. However, I wasn't that thrilled with the Calamari appetizer (too much breading), and the grill fish taco (fish was a little dry). All else, loved it. Oh, I wish the Old Fashioned was on Happy Hour prices...I even had the house whiskey. Hmm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- George PonceManjaresDined on 7/6/2014Trendy scene with a great location. The best part is the food! What a pleasant surprise that you could actually get Baja Style taste better than at a reputable Baja location! Okay! You got me on the Sol guacamole and fish tacos...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Mexican food for foodiesCiceVIPDined on 7/5/2014I loved the eclectic Mexican menu, very fun. The summer guacamole with watermelon was amazing! I also enjoyed the corn appetizer and the carnitas tacos. The jalapeño cucumber margarita was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 7/5/2014Terrific Mexican food. Loved the carnitas tacos. Live music was great. We were able to enjoy the music and still talk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We went on July 5th. Make reservations place is busy but very friendly and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014The food and drinks were unique and delicious. The service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- New favorite spotSj319Dined on 6/29/2014We made a reservation for Sunday night and were glad we did because they were busy. Even though we were a party of two and they were busy, we were seated in a comfortable booth. This was greatly appreciated! Steven was our server and he was energetic, attentive and knowledgable of the menu. The margaritas were delicious! We also had tacos vampirios and the chorizo and queso mushroom appetizer. All was excellent. I also have to add, a food runner dropped a dish by our table while we were there, something that could happen to anyone and would be horrifying. I overheard two supervisors speaking to the girl and telling her it was okay. Kudos to the management for being so kind to not only customers, but also the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be backTheBestTippersGoToHeavenDined on 6/29/2014The reception was nice. The hostesses were professional and accommodating. I requested a seat with a view and they delivered. Our server was energetic. My margarita was great, the food was good. Our server didn't do a check back after we received our meals, maybe because we were eating and looked like we were ok? I wanted a side of cheese... By the time he came over, I was full. But I guess that stuff happens nbd. The manager stopped by to ensure we were enjoying everything, a few other team members refilled our waters three times and bussed some plates I pushed aside. Every single person was hospitable. My husband and I will be back because of ambience and also the hospitality... And the food too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!Hani81Dined on 6/28/2014Every time we go to Sol we have a great experience! The food is amazing, the drinks are made well and balanced, and the service is wonderful. Even though it's always busy, I never feel neglected. Everyone seems to help each other out at this restaurant and we appreciate that.Special Features:
- Love!CESFVIPDined on 6/15/2014Amazing meal and dining experience from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014Came here for a casual dinner and enjoyed the food and location. it was a bit too dark to look at the ocean but it definitely made the experience better. Must try the tacos gobernador. Great food and great location.Special Features:
- Tasty MexOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/5/2014Nice waterfront Mex with great Margaritas. Food is not typical Tex Mex, which is a nice change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceMuleehuntrDined on 6/3/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere! Put this on your list for a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodwine2dineDined on 6/1/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Sol Cocina. The House Margarita was delicious as well as the Baja Shrimp style taco! The noise level inside made it difficult to have a conversation because of the acoustics; however, great energy in the room. Next time, I'd reserve space outside. I loved the scenery of the boats. Upscale casual dress, but surprised that many people were dressed a bit more casual - but then again the beauty of living in Southern California. I'd definitely would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!LuvtotrynewplacesDined on 6/1/2014Upon reading prior reviews about their service I was relieved to see that their service matched their food and scenic view! The service was top notch from the beginning as they went out of their to find us a seat outside in the patio. Some very well made drinks along with the view of the harbor made us want to stay there all day to enjoy. The japanese ceviche and steak tacos were to die for. Overall loved this place and will make sure we visit again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKjustmeVIPDined on 6/1/2014Service was slow and our waiter seemed confused. Food was alright. Surprised to see the place was PACKED even though I felt the entire experience was underwhelming. The $5 mango mimosas were great though! Unfortunately they ran out about an hour into our brunch though. Nice view.Special Features:
- great food, lousy serviceregularcustomerVIPDined on 5/26/2014This place is really, really loud so be prepared for that. The food is great, from the tacos to the burritos. The Guacamole Sol is a must. The only downside is the horrible service no matter who the waiter is. Also, they took out the barbacoa from the menu, which was the best thing they had. Where is the logic in eliminating your best dish? Idiots!
- Dinner for 5 at 8:30 PM on May 24CarolynDined on 5/24/2014We were recommended to Sol by the Newport Coast Marriott. The place was hopping with a guitarist in the bar area. We had a reservation but showed up early and we all had their signature watermelon margarita before being seated, nice and smooth. We brought a special bottle of wine with us and paid a $15 corkage fee. We had 2 orders of the naked guacamole and chips as appetizers, very tasty. The Chilie Limon Chicken was more than one person could eat. The Queso Vamiro Taco is very spicy. The carnitas tacos were a little small but very flavorful. The Kobe steak was a more tough than we expected, but was replaced with a taco combo and not charged to our bill.Special Features: