244 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sojournrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 537-7745
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Starts at 5pm with the Kitchen Open until 1am Friday and Saturday, 12am Tuesday to Thursday, 11pm Sunday and Monday. Brunch on Sundays from 12pm-4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Petti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available.
- Private Party Contact: Event Manager 2125377745
- Special Events: “So What’s Next?” Sojourn Wine Tasting Series “I always drink Pinot Noir, what else might I like?” Monday, January 17th, 2011 6:30 pm at Sojourn The premise is to offer guests the opportunity to taste and learn about other wines that are similar to their “favorite” in a fun and educational environment. The one-hour class will feature a Pinot Noir, plus four other wines that have like qualities, but different nuances. After, class members and guests are invited to stay for a 4 course tasting menu paired with wines in the style of the class. This will give everyone the chance to enjoy the new wine styles and see how they taste when paired with great dishes. Reservations for the tasting menu are available starting at 7:30pm. Wine Class: $25 per person Wine Pairing Dinner: $55 per person Class and Dinner Combo: $70 per person For Reservations or information Call Sojourn at 212-537-7745
A word from Sojourn Restaurant
Singular in character and taste, this is how we define a memorable moment. How would you define yours? Start with a stay that embodies the spirit of culture in the Upper East Side's sexiest restaurant. Take a seat at our lively copper-coated wine bar voted Open Table's Choice Winner for Manhattan's vibrant bar scene. Bask inside of our hip, cabin atmosphere full of warm oak and red tones.Travel from plate-to-plate and from culture-to-culture by tasting our broad array of delights. We're a New American restaurant with globally influenced dishes. Locals and visitors alike are buzzing about our simple, heavenly ingredients and worldy appeal. You don't have to journey far from home for an adventure. Join us in our uptown neighborhood treasure for an unforgettable and taste-explosive escape.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sojourn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (64)vibrant bar scene (43)good for groups (40)hot spot (37)romantic (30)special occasion (26)notable wine list (26)late-night find (18)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.FoodMakesMyDayDined on 11/18/2014Honestly, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. The restaurant was not crowded so it was surprising to my party that our waitress barely came to the table. When we were first seated, she explained to us that the plates were made to be shared. The servings, however, were not for two people. I don't have a particularly big appetite, but the plates, at least the ones we ordered, were meant for one person. The waitress never brought the drink I ordered, the food was pretty salty in general and she brought out the side dishes when we were done with our meal. It was just strange and when we were ready to pay the bill she, once again, was no where to be found. I liked the ambiance, (dark, good for a date night) and the bar seemed to be bumping later that night- fun for a drink maybe. The restaurant was just cold and the food was just alright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely space but disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014I had Saturday lunch here with my extended family. While the location was perfect, and the atmosphere lovely, we were all disappointed with the service and food. We were the first to be seated for lunch, but still had to wait quite a long time for our waiter, and then for our food. When the food finally arrived, the poached eggs we had all ordered as part of our breakfasts (benedicts, etc.) were all hard in the center. We thought about sending them back, but had waited so long initially, we didn't want to wait for them to be redone. Despite the hard centers, the food was quite good. Furthermore, I never received a bloody mary I ordered, and when it appeared on the bill, the waiter was surprised he had never brought it me, although he did immediately take it off the bill. Not a horrible experience, but one I would not choose to repeat.
- MUST GO!!!!!!!!!A++++CincinrmDined on 11/14/2014IMPECCABLE & SUBLIME SERVICE, FOOD & AMBIENCE! The service was amazing (Jose) our waiter is nothing but professional, he explained the dishes, asked for food allergies and always checked back to see if we needed anything. He was extremely helpful and you could tell he loves his job very much. A big thank you to (Julio) who welcomed me and my friend with his pleasant service. The food was delicious! We had the (fish tacos, bacon wrapped scallops, beef sliders, and their signature steak) All dishes were fresh and delicious! The GINGER KETCHUP is to die for! The dessert was event better! (Bluberry Cheesecake) was extremely fresh homemade and I have never tasted anything like it!. The place is extremely popular, and friendly for large groups or just an intimate setting for two. Thank you for your hospitality, rest assure I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingPickyNYCFoodieDined on 11/8/2014This may resemble my other posts ....since I usually try to make it to this place 1x a month -- food and service is always top notch. Gnocchi is better than an Italian restaurant!Special Features:
- JozieJozieDined on 11/6/2014Really enjoyed the small plates which enabled us to try multiple dishes from an eclectic and exciting menu. Hardest part was choosing which dishes for the four of us. Good place to meet with friends or others. Food was great and prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- great food in romantic vibrant spotshrecchiDined on 11/5/2014I love c omming here. Cocktails and great wines. (Except this time I ordered cosmopolitan. Came over rocks in wine glass !!??) Everyone was satisfied with food!! Duck breast was great and favorite all timer steak with scallion fried rice!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tuna tartar & fish tacos ever!PattiVIPDined on 10/31/2014I love all the food at Sojourn, truly. The tuna tartar is outstanding -- setting itself apart from others by putting the tuna on too of a well seasoned crostini and topping the tuna with a quail egg. The fish tacos condiments are divine. All in all - superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food/bad breadneighborgalVIPDined on 10/31/2014Why go to so much trouble to serve delicious food abut use poor quality rolls as starters. I don't get it.Special Features:
- good food, service lagslkshDined on 10/30/2014Not a welcoming host, friendly waiter but service overall slow. Good appetizersSpecial Features:
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had to wait an incredibly long time to get our food served but one there, it was delicious. I've eaten here before and love their crusted tuna. Unfortunately, they didn't have it tonite. The salmon, which I've also had before, was excellent. Their arugula salad is also delicious. It was so crowded and noisy tonight, we could hardly hear each other speak. Best to go early or on an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; eh serviceMaureenVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was really yummy - really enjoyed the kale salad. Our waitress was nice but not that attentive. It took forever for our salads to come out and we had to remind the staff about our brussel sprouts.
- Great Upper East SpotCoachVIPDined on 10/22/2014Sojourn combines a great farm to table menu, good supporting wine list and classic New York character of exposed brick and tin ceilings. It has a real feel and breaks the stuffy upper east side stereotype. A busy scene at the wine bar adds another dimension to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, and serviceMaycorsiniVIPDined on 10/17/2014Our waiter was incredibly knoledgeable and friendly. The food was incredible. It's a bit loud other than that it's a great date spot !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep it real- and availableNycUES79Dined on 10/17/2014Out of the first two wines we ordered. The second time this happned to me here!! Great food
- Outstanding RestaurantPCreviewDined on 10/14/2014Absolutely LOVE it all at Sojourn! The food. The music. The ambiance. The staff. Everything is just so on-point! I've been to this restaurant just a few times, but it remains a favorite of mine! Promising delivery with a tasteful price...incredible to find this Upper East side gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy late night dinnerEatdrinksleepDined on 10/11/2014From the street you would have no idea it is such a hot spot, but when you get inside it's clear this place is crowded all the time. A little noisy for a date, but still had a great time and amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and livelyAmericanAdventurerDined on 10/10/2014Visited for dinner on a Friday night and was squeezed in tightly between two other couples. The noise level is loud and required raised voices to hear each other and the waitress, but fitting for an energetic Friday crowd. The food is very good, excellent for sharing and the portions are large. The service was slightly lacking, though partly it can't be helped considering the staff can't move swiftly around the restaurant. I'd recommend for a date, because the energy would take the edge off the nerves, but my husband and I probably won't go back again.Special Features:
- As usual, food is fantasticGotogirlnycVIPDined on 10/10/2014I love Sojoirn, but after this last visit may have to give it a rest. It is so PAINFULLY LOUD in there, it makes the experience borderline miserable. It's a shame really, because the food is very very good, it's always consistent and fresh and really fills a major void on the upper east side. The cork walls and small acoustic squares on the ceiling are pretty much useless. Once again, I left with ringing ears for a day and a half and a hoarse voice. The food on Friday night was delicious though, even better than usual. Can they close for a little while to remodel????Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just everything!RestauranteurDined on 10/7/2014Sojourn is the epitome of a real treat! The vibe of the restaurant is warm and cozy and really very inviting. The service is top notch and the food is out-of-this-world! Hands down...AMAZING! Portions are generous! The gnocchi and black pasta are exceptional and the steak and oven roasted chicken breast are also delicious! Truly an exceptional restaurant and the owner does an excellent job adhering to a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy place!fanofzaDined on 10/6/2014Service here was fantastic! When we got there, we were a bit ahead of the crowd but our server was fantastic, especially with his knowledge of wine. The place was cozy but the mood was energetic for a Monday night. We didn't have much to eat but what we did was very good - butternut squash soup and the cheese and charcuterie boards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll definitely returnMarieDined on 10/4/2014everything about the experience was excellent -- from the food and service to the vibrant atmosphere. This was the second time in two months that I ate at Sojourn. I plan to do so more often.Special Features:
- Small plates, Big flavorwinkieDined on 10/1/2014This small plates restaurant stands apart from most with its menu of dishes from around the globe....duck confit spring rolls, Spanish style ham croquettes, lamb meatballs with a Middle Eastern twist. Everything is packed with flavor and the accompanying sauces (red pepper,wasabi, etc.) are equally delicious. The wine list is varied and quite good with reasonable prices. The place is buzzing with energy...and noise!.. and has a friendly, fun atmosphere although its sometimes hard to hold a conversation. Our waiter was charming and informative. All in all, a fabulous spot for very tasty food and a fun evening.Special Features:
- nycfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014We had a great meal and experience at Sjourn. We went early with our two children and it was not too noisy and there were pleanty of great options for sharing even with the kids. We will defiantly be back.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placeSojurnVIPDined on 9/29/2014I've eaten there many times. The cocktail menu is delish and the menu is varied with many small portions. Stand-outs are barbecue pork sliders, duck spring rolls, figs stuffed with goat cheese, scallop fried rice, fish tacos. Also many entrée portions and salad selections, but one could make a meal out of the many appetizers. Our server, John, was very attentive and adorable and prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- FAB Bottomeless brunchCharlielouDined on 9/27/2014Loved this place, as did the friends we went with. Loved they kept topping up our drinks without having to ask. Good Eggs BenedictSpecial Features:
- Will go back!IreneDined on 9/26/2014The only downside was the noise level and the tiny table. Because the restaurant is SO busy, we were seated in a small corner table fit for 2 people at the max. There were 3 of us and could barely fit out drinks and plates on the table. We could only hear each other if we yelled but thats not really something that bothers me, however, it would bother other people I'm sure. The food was incredible, the waiter was very sweet and attentive and the menu was fairly priced for the quality and amount of food they provided. I loved it and plan to go back again and again.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014overpriced, requested sliders "on the rare side", got them well-done; ear-splittingly noisy
- All of the AboveWhitneyDined on 9/22/2014Sojourn is where you need to be...if you're looking for a restaurant with high quality in 'all of the above' as in service, food quality, ambiance, you name it! Always a show-stoppin' experience at this upper East side gem. A true staple to a 5-star restaurant. Added Bonus: it feels even more intimate that the owner, Sammy, is almost always at the restaurant greeting customers and asking how is everything to be sure that the service and quality standards are being upheld. Thanks Sojourn!Special Features:
- Good food but noisyfishsauceVIPDined on 9/19/2014We greatly enjoyed the food; it was fresh and well-balanced. However the noise level was intolerable to us. We had to shout across the table throughout the dinner conversation. Some of the dishes we liked were tuna tar tar, fish tacos, lamb (rack). The beef sliders had good presentation, however, over-cooked, greasy. We weren't impressed. We'd come back for the food and hope the restaurant would have away to decrease the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A promising delivery...NYCReviewerDined on 9/17/2014Once again, Sojourn has impressed me, and this time my two friends from Italy who were visiting. In their so-far to day stay in NYC, both absolutely loved the restaurant. In fact, Lorenzo told me it's his favorite that he's eaten at in the city! I am always more than satisfied when I've dined here, but it was teh greatest feeling to see the response of my friends. Thank you Sojourn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A drop of heaven...RestauranteurDined on 9/16/2014The aura of this restaurant is simply charming with a cozy, rustic, eclectic tone. The crowd it attracts seems to be a mix, whom mesh really well together. The energy in this restaurant is just perfect...and then you remember you're here to dine. The service, including the wait staff, bartenders and hostess, is just impeccable! I even met the owner and his son, whom are also extremely friendly and inviting personalities. Then the food...WOW WOW WOW! What a meal! I am highly impressed with the level of prestige without any pretentiousness or ridiculous prices (for the meals and the cocktails). Hats off to another outstanding experience & memory of supreme satisfation - for a night out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too badParticularDined on 9/15/2014This conveniently located restaurant was to have been regular for me however the menu prices me out of the market and the food is really too eclectic for anything to be prepared well. The so-called tasting plates have too much food on them are too expensive Duck spring rolls good Gnocchi was too sticky. the salmon was good and the mushrooms with it tasty but overcooked but there was too much oil and those tastes are not serendipitous together.
- OvercrowdedGringuitaDined on 9/12/2014Have always enjoyed food and service but will avoid it on weekends. Too crowded, no space between tables. Food was quite tasty, prices were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014We got there for an early dinner and were glad we did. I had their arugula salad and sesame crusted tuna, both delicious. My friend had the capaccio appetizer and salmon entree which he also said was delicious. Even our drinks were good! As we sat there, the place really started to fill up. Once the restaurant was nearly filled, it was so noisy we couldn't hear each other talk. We were glad we got there early enough to hear each other and enjoy a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare discoveryWineNdineDined on 9/8/2014Sojourn is a special find for me. One of the best places to go in New York, always an amazing crowd; warm and hospitable staff; cozy environment; amazing food and drinks... It's essentially like party with good friends when you are at Sojourn. This place is addictive, your first time, will not be your last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too good to be truejcjcVIPDined on 9/6/2014what a delicious dining experience. very filling, very generous.. very delectable cuisine.. well done. a very talented chef for sureSpecial Features:
- Always great foodPickyNYCFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Solid UES side choice for dinner with a friend - always amazing food and drinks, people (you're not the only one sitting in there at 6:30 on a fri having dinner) and service! Will return yet again hopefully sometime soon!Special Features:
- Personable & FabulousWhitneyDined on 9/3/2014The ambiance, wine list, food, service...you name it bc it's all AMAZING!!! I love how friendly the environment is at Sojourn. In fact, I can't think of another restaurant where the owner is so well-known by the customers. Almost every time I dine at Sojourn, either Sammy or Johnny are there and come around to the tables to check in that you are enjoying your meal and build conversation. From the moment you are greeted by the hostess 'til you leave, you create a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Such a treat!NYCReviewerDined on 9/3/2014Sojourn is the epitome of a 5-star restaurant. QUALITY across the board! The food is delicious! The service, oustanding...and the ambiance, is everything! Sojourn is absolutely PERF...very eclectic, friendly, rustic, and you don't want to leave! I love the sangria (and the wine list, in general, is delightful and reasonably priced) and again...the food? AMAZING!!!!! I met the owner, Sammy, for the second time and what a nice guy. Very down-to-earth and he even recognized me and came over to say hello! So personable and above everything, that is just rare to find here in the city, but across the many cities I have dined. Thank you Sojourn! And in Italian, we say "cent'anni!"Special Features:
- Fine for brunchVonatronVIPDined on 9/1/2014Found this place searching for brunch places in the UES so this was convenient. Food was pretty good, nothing spectacular but nothing terrible. Service was super slow though - the restaurant was only half full, but they were way understaffed. There were only two waiters and they did their best to run around to all the tables in addition to being the host greeting people and making all the brunch drinks.Special Features: