244 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sojournrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125377745
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Starts at 5pm with the Kitchen Open until 1am Friday and Saturday, 12am Tuesday to Thursday, 11pm Sunday and Monday. Brunch on Sundays from 12pm-4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Petti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available.
- Private Party Contact: Event Manager 2125377745
- Special Events: “So What’s Next?” Sojourn Wine Tasting Series “I always drink Pinot Noir, what else might I like?” Monday, January 17th, 2011 6:30 pm at Sojourn The premise is to offer guests the opportunity to taste and learn about other wines that are similar to their “favorite” in a fun and educational environment. The one-hour class will feature a Pinot Noir, plus four other wines that have like qualities, but different nuances. After, class members and guests are invited to stay for a 4 course tasting menu paired with wines in the style of the class. This will give everyone the chance to enjoy the new wine styles and see how they taste when paired with great dishes. Reservations for the tasting menu are available starting at 7:30pm. Wine Class: $25 per person Wine Pairing Dinner: $55 per person Class and Dinner Combo: $70 per person For Reservations or information Call Sojourn at 212-537-7745
A word from Sojourn Restaurant
Singular in character and taste, this is how we define a memorable moment. How would you define yours? Start with a stay that embodies the spirit of culture in the Upper East Side's sexiest restaurant. Take a seat at our lively copper-coated wine bar voted Open Table's Choice Winner for Manhattan's vibrant bar scene. Bask inside of our hip, cabin atmosphere full of warm oak and red tones.Travel from plate-to-plate and from culture-to-culture by tasting our broad array of delights. We're a New American restaurant with globally influenced dishes. Locals and visitors alike are buzzing about our simple, heavenly ingredients and worldy appeal. You don't have to journey far from home for an adventure. Join us in our uptown neighborhood treasure for an unforgettable and taste-explosive escape.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sojourn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (37)romantic (37)vibrant bar scene (37)special occasion (32)hot spot (27)notable wine list (24)late-night find (16)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/29/2014I've eaten there many times. The cocktail menu is delish and the menu is varied with many small portions. Stand-outs are barbecue pork sliders, duck spring rolls, figs stuffed with goat cheese, scallop fried rice, fish tacos. Also many entrée portions and salad selections, but one could make a meal out of the many appetizers. Our server, John, was very attentive and adorable and prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Will go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014The only downside was the noise level and the tiny table. Because the restaurant is SO busy, we were seated in a small corner table fit for 2 people at the max. There were 3 of us and could barely fit out drinks and plates on the table. We could only hear each other if we yelled but thats not really something that bothers me, however, it would bother other people I'm sure. The food was incredible, the waiter was very sweet and attentive and the menu was fairly priced for the quality and amount of food they provided. I loved it and plan to go back again and again.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014overpriced, requested sliders "on the rare side", got them well-done; ear-splittingly noisy
- All of the AboveWhitneyDined on 9/22/2014Sojourn is where you need to be...if you're looking for a restaurant with high quality in 'all of the above' as in service, food quality, ambiance, you name it! Always a show-stoppin' experience at this upper East side gem. A true staple to a 5-star restaurant. Added Bonus: it feels even more intimate that the owner, Sammy, is almost always at the restaurant greeting customers and asking how is everything to be sure that the service and quality standards are being upheld. Thanks Sojourn!Special Features:
- Good food but noisyfishsauceDined on 9/19/2014We greatly enjoyed the food; it was fresh and well-balanced. However the noise level was intolerable to us. We had to shout across the table throughout the dinner conversation. Some of the dishes we liked were tuna tar tar, fish tacos, lamb (rack). The beef sliders had good presentation, however, over-cooked, greasy. We weren't impressed. We'd come back for the food and hope the restaurant would have away to decrease the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A promising delivery...NYCReviewerDined on 9/17/2014Once again, Sojourn has impressed me, and this time my two friends from Italy who were visiting. In their so-far to day stay in NYC, both absolutely loved the restaurant. In fact, Lorenzo told me it's his favorite that he's eaten at in the city! I am always more than satisfied when I've dined here, but it was teh greatest feeling to see the response of my friends. Thank you Sojourn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A drop of heaven...RestauranteurDined on 9/16/2014The aura of this restaurant is simply charming with a cozy, rustic, eclectic tone. The crowd it attracts seems to be a mix, whom mesh really well together. The energy in this restaurant is just perfect...and then you remember you're here to dine. The service, including the wait staff, bartenders and hostess, is just impeccable! I even met the owner and his son, whom are also extremely friendly and inviting personalities. Then the food...WOW WOW WOW! What a meal! I am highly impressed with the level of prestige without any pretentiousness or ridiculous prices (for the meals and the cocktails). Hats off to another outstanding experience & memory of supreme satisfation - for a night out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too badParticularDined on 9/15/2014This conveniently located restaurant was to have been regular for me however the menu prices me out of the market and the food is really too eclectic for anything to be prepared well. The so-called tasting plates have too much food on them are too expensive Duck spring rolls good Gnocchi was too sticky. the salmon was good and the mushrooms with it tasty but overcooked but there was too much oil and those tastes are not serendipitous together.
- OvercrowdedGringuitaDined on 9/12/2014Have always enjoyed food and service but will avoid it on weekends. Too crowded, no space between tables. Food was quite tasty, prices were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014We got there for an early dinner and were glad we did. I had their arugula salad and sesame crusted tuna, both delicious. My friend had the capaccio appetizer and salmon entree which he also said was delicious. Even our drinks were good! As we sat there, the place really started to fill up. Once the restaurant was nearly filled, it was so noisy we couldn't hear each other talk. We were glad we got there early enough to hear each other and enjoy a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare discoveryWineNdineDined on 9/8/2014Sojourn is a special find for me. One of the best places to go in New York, always an amazing crowd; warm and hospitable staff; cozy environment; amazing food and drinks... It's essentially like party with good friends when you are at Sojourn. This place is addictive, your first time, will not be your last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too good to be truejcjcVIPDined on 9/6/2014what a delicious dining experience. very filling, very generous.. very delectable cuisine.. well done. a very talented chef for sureSpecial Features:
- Always great foodPickyNYCFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Solid UES side choice for dinner with a friend - always amazing food and drinks, people (you're not the only one sitting in there at 6:30 on a fri having dinner) and service! Will return yet again hopefully sometime soon!Special Features:
- Personable & FabulousWhitneyDined on 9/3/2014The ambiance, wine list, food, service...you name it bc it's all AMAZING!!! I love how friendly the environment is at Sojourn. In fact, I can't think of another restaurant where the owner is so well-known by the customers. Almost every time I dine at Sojourn, either Sammy or Johnny are there and come around to the tables to check in that you are enjoying your meal and build conversation. From the moment you are greeted by the hostess 'til you leave, you create a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Such a treat!NYCReviewerDined on 9/3/2014Sojourn is the epitome of a 5-star restaurant. QUALITY across the board! The food is delicious! The service, oustanding...and the ambiance, is everything! Sojourn is absolutely PERF...very eclectic, friendly, rustic, and you don't want to leave! I love the sangria (and the wine list, in general, is delightful and reasonably priced) and again...the food? AMAZING!!!!! I met the owner, Sammy, for the second time and what a nice guy. Very down-to-earth and he even recognized me and came over to say hello! So personable and above everything, that is just rare to find here in the city, but across the many cities I have dined. Thank you Sojourn! And in Italian, we say "cent'anni!"Special Features:
- Fine for brunchVonatronVIPDined on 9/1/2014Found this place searching for brunch places in the UES so this was convenient. Food was pretty good, nothing spectacular but nothing terrible. Service was super slow though - the restaurant was only half full, but they were way understaffed. There were only two waiters and they did their best to run around to all the tables in addition to being the host greeting people and making all the brunch drinks.Special Features:
- Neighborhood got spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a great place to come for a late night eat or cocktail. Awesome ambience and romantic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Jay1Dined on 8/23/2014One of my favorite places to go out to eat on the UES. In groups of 2 or 8 (reservation needed), the dining experince is top notch and won't break the bank.Special Features:
- Great findvandinerDined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. Interesting small plates menu. Service was attentive and the server was helpful with suggestions on both food and wine. Ambiance and decor are tasteful and interesting. Portions were great for sharing in a way that allowed us to enjoy various things.Special Features:
- Always great foodvlynchVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is always spot on and so is the service. It's a bit too loud and dark but since the food is always great and relatively inexpensive I will continue to come back.Special Features:
- Do NOT Sit Near the barKabsaabsVIPDined on 8/14/2014I arrived for my 7:30 reservation on time. The hostess "suggested" that a table by the bar would be less noisy and more comfortable the the main room where she was expecting large parties. Within 30 minutes the bar was JAMMED w/ singles drinking and on the prowl. The noise was insane andd worse was the nonstop bumping into me, my chair and the table. Combine that with service that became snail like and you have a very poor dining experience.Special Features:
- WOW! Incredible Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I heard about Sojourn frrom a few friends, but was just there for the first time and now I see what the rave is all about! Such a diverse selection of food...I felt like I was on Top Chef! I mean the dishes we tried were DELISH! The ambiance was so warm and energetic and welcoming. The energy and vibe is so unique...crazy chic! Honestly, can't say enough about the restaurant, but I am psyched to tell people they need to go check it out. Very much looking forward to dining again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining; G-D Awful DinOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014The noise obviously doesn't bother most people because Sojourn is always full, and we eat at Sojourn several times a year. However, I'd be willing to pay more for the same food in a quieter location. The food is excellent and the service is very good. But the noise. And they play music on top of the chatter. And they raise the level of the music when the restaurant begins to clear out a little. BadSpecial Features:
- cheshireVIPDined on 8/8/2014Must have walked by this place a "million" times, and we finally stopped in. WOW! We'll be back! What we sampled was terrific, and there were so many other choices we're looking forward to tasting soon. Everything's great for sharing...makes it great fun.Special Features:
- Great SurpriseDiane707VIPDined on 8/6/2014I always walk by this restaurant and finally decided to try it. It was fabulous ! We all ordered different salads,entrees and shared. Everything was delicious. The watermelon salad and grilled chicken were my favorites and tuna sashimi not far behind. A must go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration brunchNYfoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is my first time at Sojourn for brunch. It was fantastic. Service was slow, but the food was terrific. Creative dishes, well prepared but very rich. It was great to celebrate but as a regular place, I would have to choose differently.Special Features:
- Great spot for young crowd!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great food and although loud we loved it because we had a table off to the back and side, we highly recommend it for those in the 20s and 30s...we were probably the oldest (late 50s). Loved the French rose!! Lamb chops were fantastic. Service was great! We stopped for dessert the night before and really loved the bar and feel of the spot. Glad we went back for dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014While the food was very good, the service was spotty at best. We sat for at least 10 minutes before our waiter took our drink order and waited over an hour for our entrée before we cancelled and asked for the bill. It was clear that he forgot to put in our food order. We're never going back.
- What more can you ask for?!NYCReviewerDined on 7/31/20145stars all around...the food selection is vast and it all tastes incredible (with nice size portions)! The ambiance is to the point - dim lighting (but not dark), warm, rustic and rustic Euro-American chic. The wine list is most edefinitely noteworthy and fairly priced and the cocktails are generously served at the bar. And then the service...knowledgeable wait staff and greeted by a beautiful, outgoing hostess - all of whom are not pretentious. No wonder why Sojourn drives in such a vibrant and friendly crowd, yet sophisticated. One of the very few restaurants I find to hit a prestigious level in the most classy way possible.Special Features:
- Awesome find!NYCfoodieDined on 7/30/2014This place had the best environment I've been to in a while. Loved the service and the food was divine. Go here to enjoy a date or a night with a group of friends! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELY PLACE FOR SHARINGZorbaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Pleasant Greeting,Beautiful & fastidious waitron, delicious food, great small plates. Croquettes were delicious, as were Fish taco's. There was nothing that was not liked by our group. Try the Ricotta Cheesecake- heavenly.Special Features:
- wow this was a find!es2013Dined on 7/26/2014We were thrilled to find a restaurant that accepted a reservation for 10 on a Saturday night. Loved everything about our meal. We'll be back often!Special Features:
- Delightful ExperienceRestauranteurDined on 7/25/2014Across the board, Sojourn has got it goin on! Not a singlething to complain about, but everything to compliment...from the delicious variety on the menu - both food & wine - to the impressionable staff and the warm, eclectic ambiance. Once again, I am highly impressed with a 5-star experience! Sojourn ranks amongst my top three favorite restaurants in Manhattan for years now and I encourage anyone who is food savy or a restauranteurs and/or a wine connoisseur, or looking to create a fabulous memory with a significant other or grab a few friends...this is the place to go! Thank you Sojorn! Cheers :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014I liked the look of this menu, and thought I'd give it a try. I know some people feel the restaurant is dark, but once I was at the table, it was very nice, and they had candles on the table. No problem reading the menu. I was there on a Sunday night, and noise was not an issue. The service was very friendly. They recommended that we order a few things and share. I was happy that we did this so I was able to try a variety of foods. Everything was OUTSTANDING! I'm still thinking about the food, and can't wait to go back. Some thing we had were duck spring rolls, two types of fried rice, lamb meat balls, seared tuna, corn salad, scallops, chicken, and flourless chocolate cake. One dish was more delicious than the next. Go here!Special Features:
- Good Food & VibeMsMazDined on 7/19/2014Came here for dinner on a Saturday night, and really enjoyed the food. The swiss chard ravioli were fantastic, as were the figs with prosciutto. We also had the kobe beef sliders which were enjoyable, but not exceptional. The ambiance is great, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedDelightedDined on 7/15/2014The web page doesn't do it justice. A gem of a neighborhood restaurant The food was good, nicely presented. Our server was very pleasant even though we were not an easy group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014Quality of food really good and unexpected. Servants friendly. Attention to servicing table sleepy , but good if you dont want to rush dinner. Nice wine options. Entrance is a little confusing . Decor very casual, rustic but warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceApocVIPDined on 7/12/2014Came here with my gf and was immediately turned onto the dim (read: romantic) lighting. the food was fantastic, the ambiance is great, and the service is above average as well. I would highly recommend Sojourn to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristinVIPDined on 7/7/2014I will definitely return for a full meal as the couple of items we sampled were delicious. We shared the burrata (which arrived atop fresh, ripe slices of red tomato and drizzled with balsamic) and the spicy tuna tartare crostini (wonderful flavor, especially with the addition of the quail egg). I would have snapped photos as the presentation was lovely but the room was dimly lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands Down my Favorite!NYCReviewerDined on 7/7/2014A customer of five years and I am continually impressed! Every year, I plan a special occassion for my birthday. This year, held at Sojourn's, and I couldn't be happier (nor could my guests)! Every time I dine at this restaurant, I am served with grace and poise; knowing it was my birthday, the staff at Sojourn went above-and-beyond to make sure everything was absolutely perfect...and it was! The food is always delicious and the wine selection diverse and impressive. The service, again, I must say was SUPERB! Thank you for a very memorable evening, from myself and my guests. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.