244 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sojournrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125377745
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service Starts at 5pm with the Kitchen Open until 1am Friday and Saturday, 12am Tuesday to Thursday, 11pm Sunday and Monday. Brunch on Sundays from 12pm-4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Petti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off site catering is available.
- Private Party Contact: Event Manager 2125377745
- Special Events: “So What’s Next?” Sojourn Wine Tasting Series “I always drink Pinot Noir, what else might I like?” Monday, January 17th, 2011 6:30 pm at Sojourn The premise is to offer guests the opportunity to taste and learn about other wines that are similar to their “favorite” in a fun and educational environment. The one-hour class will feature a Pinot Noir, plus four other wines that have like qualities, but different nuances. After, class members and guests are invited to stay for a 4 course tasting menu paired with wines in the style of the class. This will give everyone the chance to enjoy the new wine styles and see how they taste when paired with great dishes. Reservations for the tasting menu are available starting at 7:30pm. Wine Class: $25 per person Wine Pairing Dinner: $55 per person Class and Dinner Combo: $70 per person For Reservations or information Call Sojourn at 212-537-7745
A word from Sojourn Restaurant
Singular in character and taste, this is how we define a memorable moment. How would you define yours? Start with a stay that embodies the spirit of culture in the Upper East Side's sexiest restaurant. Take a seat at our lively copper-coated wine bar voted Open Table's Choice Winner for Manhattan's vibrant bar scene. Bask inside of our hip, cabin atmosphere full of warm oak and red tones.Travel from plate-to-plate and from culture-to-culture by tasting our broad array of delights. We're a New American restaurant with globally influenced dishes. Locals and visitors alike are buzzing about our simple, heavenly ingredients and worldy appeal. You don't have to journey far from home for an adventure. Join us in our uptown neighborhood treasure for an unforgettable and taste-explosive escape.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sojourn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (59)fit for foodies (52)vibrant bar scene (40)good for groups (36)romantic (35)special occasion (28)hot spot (25)notable wine list (24)late-night find (17)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Neighborhood got spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a great place to come for a late night eat or cocktail. Awesome ambience and romantic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Jay1Dined on 8/23/2014One of my favorite places to go out to eat on the UES. In groups of 2 or 8 (reservation needed), the dining experince is top notch and won't break the bank.Special Features:
- Great findvandinerDined on 8/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. Interesting small plates menu. Service was attentive and the server was helpful with suggestions on both food and wine. Ambiance and decor are tasteful and interesting. Portions were great for sharing in a way that allowed us to enjoy various things.Special Features:
- Always great foodvlynchVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is always spot on and so is the service. It's a bit too loud and dark but since the food is always great and relatively inexpensive I will continue to come back.Special Features:
- Do NOT Sit Near the barKabsaabsVIPDined on 8/14/2014I arrived for my 7:30 reservation on time. The hostess "suggested" that a table by the bar would be less noisy and more comfortable the the main room where she was expecting large parties. Within 30 minutes the bar was JAMMED w/ singles drinking and on the prowl. The noise was insane andd worse was the nonstop bumping into me, my chair and the table. Combine that with service that became snail like and you have a very poor dining experience.Special Features:
- WOW! Incredible Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I heard about Sojourn frrom a few friends, but was just there for the first time and now I see what the rave is all about! Such a diverse selection of food...I felt like I was on Top Chef! I mean the dishes we tried were DELISH! The ambiance was so warm and energetic and welcoming. The energy and vibe is so unique...crazy chic! Honestly, can't say enough about the restaurant, but I am psyched to tell people they need to go check it out. Very much looking forward to dining again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining; G-D Awful DinOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/12/2014The noise obviously doesn't bother most people because Sojourn is always full, and we eat at Sojourn several times a year. However, I'd be willing to pay more for the same food in a quieter location. The food is excellent and the service is very good. But the noise. And they play music on top of the chatter. And they raise the level of the music when the restaurant begins to clear out a little. BadSpecial Features:
- cheshireVIPDined on 8/8/2014Must have walked by this place a "million" times, and we finally stopped in. WOW! We'll be back! What we sampled was terrific, and there were so many other choices we're looking forward to tasting soon. Everything's great for sharing...makes it great fun.Special Features:
- Great SurpriseDiane707VIPDined on 8/6/2014I always walk by this restaurant and finally decided to try it. It was fabulous ! We all ordered different salads,entrees and shared. Everything was delicious. The watermelon salad and grilled chicken were my favorites and tuna sashimi not far behind. A must go to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration brunchNYfoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is my first time at Sojourn for brunch. It was fantastic. Service was slow, but the food was terrific. Creative dishes, well prepared but very rich. It was great to celebrate but as a regular place, I would have to choose differently.Special Features:
- Great spot for young crowd!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Great food and although loud we loved it because we had a table off to the back and side, we highly recommend it for those in the 20s and 30s...we were probably the oldest (late 50s). Loved the French rose!! Lamb chops were fantastic. Service was great! We stopped for dessert the night before and really loved the bar and feel of the spot. Glad we went back for dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014While the food was very good, the service was spotty at best. We sat for at least 10 minutes before our waiter took our drink order and waited over an hour for our entrée before we cancelled and asked for the bill. It was clear that he forgot to put in our food order. We're never going back.
- What more can you ask for?!NYCReviewerDined on 7/31/20145stars all around...the food selection is vast and it all tastes incredible (with nice size portions)! The ambiance is to the point - dim lighting (but not dark), warm, rustic and rustic Euro-American chic. The wine list is most edefinitely noteworthy and fairly priced and the cocktails are generously served at the bar. And then the service...knowledgeable wait staff and greeted by a beautiful, outgoing hostess - all of whom are not pretentious. No wonder why Sojourn drives in such a vibrant and friendly crowd, yet sophisticated. One of the very few restaurants I find to hit a prestigious level in the most classy way possible.Special Features:
- Awesome find!NYCfoodieDined on 7/30/2014This place had the best environment I've been to in a while. Loved the service and the food was divine. Go here to enjoy a date or a night with a group of friends! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELY PLACE FOR SHARINGZorbaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Pleasant Greeting,Beautiful & fastidious waitron, delicious food, great small plates. Croquettes were delicious, as were Fish taco's. There was nothing that was not liked by our group. Try the Ricotta Cheesecake- heavenly.Special Features:
- wow this was a find!es2013Dined on 7/26/2014We were thrilled to find a restaurant that accepted a reservation for 10 on a Saturday night. Loved everything about our meal. We'll be back often!Special Features:
- Delightful ExperienceRestauranteurDined on 7/25/2014Across the board, Sojourn has got it goin on! Not a singlething to complain about, but everything to compliment...from the delicious variety on the menu - both food & wine - to the impressionable staff and the warm, eclectic ambiance. Once again, I am highly impressed with a 5-star experience! Sojourn ranks amongst my top three favorite restaurants in Manhattan for years now and I encourage anyone who is food savy or a restauranteurs and/or a wine connoisseur, or looking to create a fabulous memory with a significant other or grab a few friends...this is the place to go! Thank you Sojorn! Cheers :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014I liked the look of this menu, and thought I'd give it a try. I know some people feel the restaurant is dark, but once I was at the table, it was very nice, and they had candles on the table. No problem reading the menu. I was there on a Sunday night, and noise was not an issue. The service was very friendly. They recommended that we order a few things and share. I was happy that we did this so I was able to try a variety of foods. Everything was OUTSTANDING! I'm still thinking about the food, and can't wait to go back. Some thing we had were duck spring rolls, two types of fried rice, lamb meat balls, seared tuna, corn salad, scallops, chicken, and flourless chocolate cake. One dish was more delicious than the next. Go here!Special Features:
- Good Food & VibeMsMazDined on 7/19/2014Came here for dinner on a Saturday night, and really enjoyed the food. The swiss chard ravioli were fantastic, as were the figs with prosciutto. We also had the kobe beef sliders which were enjoyable, but not exceptional. The ambiance is great, and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightedDelightedDined on 7/15/2014The web page doesn't do it justice. A gem of a neighborhood restaurant The food was good, nicely presented. Our server was very pleasant even though we were not an easy group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014Quality of food really good and unexpected. Servants friendly. Attention to servicing table sleepy , but good if you dont want to rush dinner. Nice wine options. Entrance is a little confusing . Decor very casual, rustic but warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceApocVIPDined on 7/12/2014Came here with my gf and was immediately turned onto the dim (read: romantic) lighting. the food was fantastic, the ambiance is great, and the service is above average as well. I would highly recommend Sojourn to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristinVIPDined on 7/7/2014I will definitely return for a full meal as the couple of items we sampled were delicious. We shared the burrata (which arrived atop fresh, ripe slices of red tomato and drizzled with balsamic) and the spicy tuna tartare crostini (wonderful flavor, especially with the addition of the quail egg). I would have snapped photos as the presentation was lovely but the room was dimly lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands Down my Favorite!NYCReviewerDined on 7/7/2014A customer of five years and I am continually impressed! Every year, I plan a special occassion for my birthday. This year, held at Sojourn's, and I couldn't be happier (nor could my guests)! Every time I dine at this restaurant, I am served with grace and poise; knowing it was my birthday, the staff at Sojourn went above-and-beyond to make sure everything was absolutely perfect...and it was! The food is always delicious and the wine selection diverse and impressive. The service, again, I must say was SUPERB! Thank you for a very memorable evening, from myself and my guests. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful foodLinrmaxVIPDined on 7/5/2014We loved Sojourn. It was my second time going & last time I went was 2 years ago. I liked it then too. Just forgot about it. My boyfriend really enjoyed it too. From the yellowfin crosinti to the final hanger steak. All was perfect. Our waiter John2 was very professional, friendly & knew the menu inside & out. Including the wine list. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 7/4/2014We shared the arugula salad and each had the crusted tuna over bok choy. The spicing and flavors were excellent. My vegetables were cool so I sent it back. They were only warm when returned the second time. Still, the taste of everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always A+PickyNYCFoodieDined on 7/2/2014Food is always amazing. Scene is always nice, clean, and never less than half way packed to maximum capacity (it's never empty since the food is so good). Service was a little slow, but it was a rainy Weds night so I didn't really mind!Special Features:
- Don't bother with SojournOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014I made a 1000 point reservation at 1100pm, I arrived at 1100pm and they checked me in at 1015 and I did not get my 1000 points. And to top everything off, the service was horrible too. It took 15 minutes before the waiter even came to my table to give us menus and then he mentioned that this place was meant to share dishes and that we should order at least two dishes each. So my other guest and I ordered a Caesar salad and an entree each, but they only gave us one salad. After we had finished our entrees the waiter came by with dessert menus which we turned down and then he left again and could not be found for another 15 minutes. It should have been obvious that we were ready to leave, we shouldn't have had to find him to get the check.
- Wonerful dinnerSarah205VIPDined on 6/27/2014We arrived very early, and we were seated immediately. Place was empty at the off hour, and the service was perfect. Great recommendations on a bottle of wine to pair with our meal. We started with the cheese plate as it was more of a cocktail hour, than a dinner hour. We each had a small warm meat plate, and this was more than enough coupled with the cheese plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual!UnforgettableDined on 6/25/2014I have been to Sojourn a few times, but never wrote a review. This unassuming restaurant has exquisite food and very competent staff. They are friendly and professional. I will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!gneelyDined on 6/24/2014I've walked past this place many times and never realized the joy of what could be found inside. The menu changes seasonally and the plates are larger than tapas, but perfect for sharing 'family style.' Completely enjoyed the experience! Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Always a good mealLEF327VIPDined on 6/21/2014at Sojourn. We try a few new dishes each time and nothing disappoints. Fun to share the different things as well.Special Features:
- 5 Stars all the way!WhitneyDined on 6/20/2014Across the boardm, there is nothing to complain about, but everything to RAVE about! The food is absolutely delicious! The diversity on the menu makes me say, you need to just try it for yourself! The staff is friendly and knowledgeable of the dishes and brilliantly suggests wines to pair with different plates, if you ask. The wine list is impressive, too. Whenever I dine at Sojourn, I look forward to the next time I have the pleasure to come back for miore! Honestly, cannot find too many comparable restaurants for the quality with a beautiful, warm and inviting environment...at such a reasonable price! #LoveSojournSpecial Features:
- Delicious food, lovely waitstaffHeLapDined on 6/16/2014So many good choices on the menu; such a nice, accomodating waiter and hostess; an unexpected pleasure in all. Portions are really big enough so that sharing isn't necessary, which was recommended. We enjoyed every morsel. A little too dark in there is really the only negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ExperienceNYCReviewerDined on 6/15/2014We took dad for Father's Day Brunch. My father isn't generous with compliments typically, but he absolutely commended Sojourn. He raved of the delicious food and commented on the friendly and knowledgeable waiter as well as enjoying its rustic ambiance. The brunch menu offers a diversified palette with sophisticated presentation. The assortment of cheeses is impressive! And the pulled pork sliders and wild arugula salad are out-of-this-world! For brunch or dinner, Sojourn is a restaurant I confidently recommend to any diner for any occassion.Special Features:
- never disappointing!!!wendalaVIPDined on 6/14/2014always good and fun.. love to share there.. delish!! love the salads, pulled pork and brunch is fabu!! Great for groups ..then u can try allot..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeCescaDined on 6/12/2014Came here for drinks and dinner/apps with some coworkers. Drinks were okay...order the jalapeno margarita-type drink, and it had an interesting flavor...definitely had a kick to it. The kobe beef slider entree was awesome. Melt in your mouth delicious!Special Features:
- super sliders!KimShoeVIPDined on 6/11/2014Sliders were juicy and done perfectly! the msnchegi cheese plus a softer recommendation (a type if Brie) from our waitress was a nice compliment. I love the little plates and rate blend if flavors. The bar foes get a bit loud, though. Not great for intimate conversations, but great scene for socializingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Nouveau Cuisinve but VERY LOUDTravelhuiDined on 6/5/2014The menu offers excellent samplers of nouveau American cuisine, and the portions are perfect (not enormous). The place is very happening in the evening...VERY LOUD, making it a great scene but not a great place for conversation.Special Features:
- HOLY SH** FOOD=AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014I cannot wait to go back... everything we had was excellent - Mesclun Salad, Asparagus and Proscuitto, Ravioli, Tuna Tartare, Lamb Chops, and Tuna. Every dish was excellent. and the cheesecake. The toughest decision will be whether to repeat or try new items next time.Special Features: