Sofia's of Little Italy
143 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sofia's of Little Italy
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sofiaslittleitaly.com/
- Phone: 2122199799
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Sofia's of Little Italy
Little Italy's home of fresh pasta, homemade pizza, and the best of Italian-American cuisineContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sofia's of Little Italy reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (8)special occasion (6)romantic (6)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (3)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great little italy optionFoodieguyDined on 8/11/2014Went with a group of six for my birthday. The ambience was lovely. Dim lighting, tasteful decor, right in the heart of Little Italy. Our server was nice and accomodating, dealing with all of our questions and requests, and made sure we were taken care of. The food was everything you could want in a homestyle italian restaurant. Not fussed with, just simple, well presented, and delicious. (My veal parmigiano was exceptional). Where they really scored points with me was that my friend had called ahead about bringing a birthday cake. Not only did they allow it, but they carried it out with candles, sang to me, took it back to the kitchen, and brought it to us garnished with powdered sugar and drizzled with cream. I will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceTerryandAliceDined on 8/2/2014We are from DE; my wife & I found Sofia's 1+yrs... since then we have dined at Sofia's every time we are in NYC (~10x). We love the restaurant; especially the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COMIDA RICAAmadaDined on 7/16/2014COMIDA DE BUENA CALIDAD. PEDI UN CORTE DE CARNE Y ES LA CARNE MAS SABROSA QUE HE PROBADO EN MI VIDA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend due to serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014We ordered an appetizer off the menu and the waiter said it would not be enough for 4 people and recommended another appetizer that was a "special" not on the menu. He failed to mention the appetizer was $40 which is double what an average entree is at this location. He also did not bring the correct wine and when it was corrected showed a "difference" fee on the bill rather than the correct price for the wine we ordered. Left feeling taken advantage of at this restaurant and would not recommend to anyone unless they like tourist traps.
- SolomonFamilyDined on 7/11/2014The food, service and atmosphere were wonderful. We were visiting NYC and our favorite Italian restaurant appears to have closed. This is our new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great but...Mactor17VIPDined on 7/5/2014Here is my dilemma... This is some of the best Italian food I have had. The Chicken Parm is cooked to perfection each time I am there. It has one of the best Cesar salads in New York. The down side is the service. They are very eager to get you in, even standing int he street talking the place up, but once you are in the service goes down hill. Both times I was there, they forgot something. This time the bread never came. I will go back and just be prepared to have to keep asking for things.Special Features:
- Disappointing.LynnDined on 7/3/2014We tried Sophie's based on the open table reviews. The eggplant rollatini and burrata and tomato appetizer were delicious. We were going to go with our usual staples for entrees-chicken cacciatore and gnocchi but let the waiter talk us into the 2 specials - a home made ririgotoni with scallops in a fra diavlo sauce and a veal chop stuffed with prosciutto and fontina. The fra diavlo sauce was so bland it had no spice to it at all and the veal chop was like licking a pillar of salt- it was actually inedible and we didn't take more than a single bite. When we told the waiter what we thought his response was that he didn't think we really wanted something spicy for the fra diavlo (?). Why would we order fra diavlo if we didn't want spices.
- The Indifferent WaiterWorldTravelersVIPDined on 6/23/2014What a very sad story it has become in Little Italy. with rising rents unless unless restaurants you imagine that the ones that still exist with care about their customers. This is not the case at Sophia's. The indifferent waiter was so obscure that I cannot even remember his name. A middle-aged semi bald grump. When you encounter the young energetic maitre'd encouraging you to eat in the dining room, proceed as fast as you can down the block to someone that cares. The lack of ambiance, attention, and downright indifference, should be avoided by all. The bright spot was the bus boy who brought us bread and water....just like prison. I have never been violated personally, but from what I've heard this is about as close as it gets. Run!
- Little Italy GemMiloVIPDined on 6/15/2014Classic italian dining in the heart of little Italy on mulberry street. Wine list has some notable italian wines. I especially love the octopus carpaccio appetizer and their tiramisu dessert. Friendly service and good pasta dishes.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2014The quality of the ingredients, everything hand made makes that restaurent an excellent choice.Special Features:
- New Favorite Rest. in Little ItalyghwinNewYorkDined on 5/10/2014We had a very memorable evening, taking another couple who specifically asked to go to a restaurant in Little Italy. We were thrilled with the food, the service was great, the ambience was friendly but still formal enough for a special dinner out. We are sure to go back.Special Features:
- Not sure how i feelOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/6/2014The food was pretty good but nothing special. And considering we were the only people in the restaurant i would have expected our food to arrive quickly. They took almost thrirty minutes to bring our 3 orders. And only when it was nearing the time to close did they keep asking us if we needed anything, possibly so we could leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 174 reviews are from the Sofia's of Little Italy reviews archive.
- ctgirl9632Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent food. Service was ver good and the wait staff are friendly and accomodating. All the food and even drinks were outstanding. Would definitely go back and recomeemd to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with my students!MsFloTravelsDined on 4/26/2014I booked a group of 10 for 2pm and Sophia's was available. Their website and menu including Traditional Italian favorites, as well as Pizza, was a draw as I was dining with my high school students on a class trip from Virginia. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. The food was great, timely and affordable. We will definitely be back on our next trip!Special Features:
- Bit noisy, but good tasting foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Seating was a little unfavourable, while there were open tables at the back we were seated in the front near a noisy company. Food and wine were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud. When somethingFoodieVIPDined on 4/6/2014Very loud. When something was being chopped in the kitchen the whole restaurant shook. Smell of cigar smoke from street and/or back office was very annoying. Basic food for Little Italy. Certainly nothing special.
- This is my 4th time diningCatermanDined on 3/29/2014This is my 4th time dining at Sophia's food always excellent. This time the branzino sea bass was amazing. Very attentive staff who were pleasant and willing to accommodate any requests. Have to question if they received our reservation they seemed not to have our name. However wasn't an issue the restaurant wasn't full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic charmerApsaraDined on 3/16/2014Our waiters' suggestions provided a wonderful meal. Where people often end up spending too much money for mediocre food. Not the case with Sofia's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out in NY with my DaughterSudsvilleDined on 3/6/2014I took my daughter for a few days in New York for her spring break. When we came in we was surprised to find the restaurant was empty. At first we were a bit concerned it quickly passed with the amount of attention we received from the staff. The ambiance was quintessential Little Italy. We ordered the specials for an appetizer we had bacon wrapped scallops. For our entrees we had seafood linguini and pork rolled and stuffed with prosciutto, gorgonzola and spinach. The food was excellent. It was a wonderful evening spent with my daughter without any distractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Italian Dining ExperienceTerryandAliceDined on 3/1/2014We were a party of six for dining at 6 pm on Saturday, March 1st. Due to the weather and time of year for NYC; Sofia's was usually quiet. My party was treated to a true Italian experience; private dining & service. Our meal began with a fine red wine, followed by antipasto, filet mignon meatballs & cheeses. Our main course (served familia-style consisted of Cornish game hen, pork chops in a sweet & spicy glaze and penne with salmon in a vodka sauce... wine continued to flow! I spoke my broken Italian to our waiter; his Italian flowed. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorfulrestauranteur22Dined on 2/16/2014The food was flavorful and high quality. The osso bucco was to die for... So tender it fell right off the bone. The carpaccio and calamari were prepared perfectly. My only negative outtake was the portions were just a bit small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely foodMJG9Dined on 2/14/2014Food was off very high quality! Only slight problem was after ordering 2 starters from the specials we weren't made aware the specials were twice the price of anything else on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid restaurantYummyyummyDined on 1/25/2014We went in Jan., they were very nice and all the diners were in the warm section. Food was good, but appetizers disproportionately expensive. Got two appetizers, both ok (the mozzarella special was served cold, about $18, and scallops in prosciutto were good, but only three and also about $19). We enjoyed our dinner and the waiter was very sweet and attentive, but a family w/ small children was seated next to us at 8:30. Their child's foot was on our table, they played an iPad with kids media next to my ear, man's butt pressed against our table, etc. We would have stayed for dessert, but the atmosphere significantly changed and we wanted to get out. The staff did not seem to notice our discomfort, and we were ignored for about 20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely people great food everyshankiVIPDined on 1/24/2014lovely people great food every time in NY we go hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that greatFredDined on 1/18/2014Big disappointment. After reading reviews for LI rest, I thought this would be top notch. It was far from top notch. We were seated by the front door and it was freezing. They even had a heater by the door. We asked to be moved towards the back of the restaurant and were denied. The service was horrible. The place was half full, at best on a Sat night? I.had to ask for water refills three times. We ordered ceaser salads which had too much dressing. I ordered the meatballs and was talked into the special filet balls. After our entrees arrived, we had not yet received our apps. Then informed they were out of the special. The regular meatballs came and were horrible. They still charged us for them. The pasta was ok, not sure if was homemade
- Little Italy at its besttable45Dined on 12/29/2013I was nervous about choosing a restaurant in Little Italy. I wanted the best of both worlds for my guests - the touristy charm of an old NY neighborhood but also an authentic menu without any kitsch. Sofia's was perfetto! Order an amaretto after dinner and enjoy the fire show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistantnlrcgVIPDined on 12/28/2013My food was good. Others did not care for theirs (chicken marsala got an especially poor review). They were very friendly & welcoming to our party of 8 (4 adults, 4 children). Crowded & loud. But shouldn't a family friendly spot in Little Italy be like that? So yes, I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 1st time in NYCmg0064Dined on 12/27/2013Great for taking my teenagers who were 1st timers to the city. Darden was wonderful. Food was outstanding. Had the mussels and a pizza. The girls had chicken parm and pasta alfredo. Hope to see you in the South soon Darden. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very slow...WesunnydayDined on 12/27/2013Service was very slow...We had to wait a long time for the food to arrive. We were sat right by the door and it was very cold. I wouldn't go back.
- Excellente!Robswoman84Dined on 12/25/2013Everything was so wonderful, from the location to the doorman to the waitress to the amazing food. Service was prompt but not rushed. Had the caprese and olive platter for appetizer. The mozarella was sensational and the olives were top quality. Fresh bread with quality olive oil was a perfect addition to dinner. Had the spinach and cheese raviolis and the lobster seafood linguine special. Just the plating alone made the dinner worth it. Gorgeous food with exceptional flavors to match. Cooked fresh and real, very satisfying! Perfect ambience for a small dinner party or a romantic evening. Small restaurant but the staff serve in a way that you don't realize how close you are to the next table. Delish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't BotherMooMooVIPDined on 12/25/2013We were stopped, not greeted, at the door by some gruff shady guy. After telling him we had a reservation, the name it was under and the time it was for he told us to wait at the front door. He came back after about 5 minutes - "Yeah follow me." We were taken further into the restaurant and shown a table for 4 that was extremely cold because it was in line with the front door and the cold blasts of wind that were coming in. We noticed 2 tables set for 3 in a warmer area on the side. When we asked to sit there he told us that those were on hold. We reminded him that we had made a reservation for 3. He said "Yeah and here's your table (referring to 4 top)." We told him we wanted to sit at one of the tables set for 3. He said no and we left.
- Christmas DinnerBillDined on 12/25/2013We had a wonderful family dinner and the food was great. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great finddeliciosoDined on 12/22/2013we are a family of 6 and head into the city from Long Island every few months of so. we stumbled onto Sofia's because that's also one of my daughters names. we go back every time we're in little Italy. it's been delicious every time. the staff is very polite and accommodating to us as a family. the food is amazing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took a friend here for aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013I took a friend here for a 30th birthday celebration. The food was very good and given how busy the restaurant was, service was really good although a bit slow at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical little italyFoodapprci8torsVIPDined on 12/21/2013Good food, not great service. Had to ask for menus, drinks, water, and pram cheese. At an Italian restaurant those should all be free flowing.Special Features:
- unhappyvinnyDined on 12/21/2013My daughter wanted to eat in Little Italy after seeing the tree, so I picked Sofia's. We had a reservation and sat quickly. That's where it ended. It was 30 minutes before we were given water, and didn't see a waiter for 45 minutes. The place was busy and grossly understaffed. We sat for over 2 hours and saw waiter for order and check, and nothing in between. The food was fair at best, especially since I paid $59.50 for my dinner. I am very unhappy and will never return. There are too many good restaurants in Little Italy to ever give Sofia's another chance to ruin my evening.
- Would definitely go again!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013The wife and I had a nice quiet dinner here on a Sunday night. We arrived early, but had no problem getting a table as it was a slow night. The service was excellent. It was slow, but sometimes that makes the service even harder as some servers tend to hover. That wasn't the case here. Our server didn't disappear, either. The server also was able to recommend an excellent wine for dinner and I'm not a huge red wine fan. The food was excellent as well. The only downside would be the portion size, which normally you don't run into at an Italian restaurant. I had the gnocchi and there were only a little more than a dozen on the plate. They were delicious, just wish I had more of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013Food was VERY flavorful! Would definitely recommend! Try the primavera!Special Features:
- Sofia knows her stuff!mfitzg1Dined on 12/13/2013Booked the Sofia's for a holiday dinner with friends and co-workers. The food was really good, the service was excellent and when the bill arrived, we were very pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it all was. I would recommend Sofia's to anyone that is looking for a good meal at a great price and top-shelf service in Little Italy. Manga MangaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food/place/wineluv2dineDined on 12/12/2013Cannelloni was great. Fresh pasta. Special of the day ( black spaghetti with sea food) was great. The waitress managed to get my husband the pesto sauce he loves. Wine Selection= excellent. We were all pleased. Dessert was delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.