Sofia Italian Steakhouse
1430 VFW Parkway
West Roxbury, MA 02132Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sofia Italian Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sofiaboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 469-2600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: David Warden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3 course dinner Monday & Tuesday - $20 / person
3 course dinner Wednesday & Thursday - $25 / person
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: MBTA DIRECTIONS:
FOREST HILL MBTA STATION
Bus #36 (Forest Hills/VA Hospital) terminates at the Veteran’s Hospital on the VFW Parkway. Cross Spring Street, to 1430 VFW Parkway on the north bound side.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Parking every Saturday
A word from Sofia Italian Steakhouse
Sofia is an elegant Italian Steakhouse providing an urban dining experience in a suburban location. A remarkable selection of wines by the glass are offered and wine is prominently displayed in the bar area. Sofia offers superior hospitality in a high energy atmosphere featuring an attractive classic decor. Our mission is to consistently provide every guest with a unique dining experience - delicious food, an excellent selection of beverages and wines and professional unparalleled service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sofia Italian Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (54)romantic (49)fit for foodies (49)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (20)great for lunch (18)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014steak was way over cooked..... desert was very good... appitizers were very good
- Birthday dinner for my sonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Everything on the menu was great. My son had the 10 oz filet with asparagus. I enjoyed the roasted beet and goat cheese salad before my entrée of mushroom and goat cheese tortellini in a wonderful cream sauce. My daughter said the steamed mussels were to die for. Would definitely go again! We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Sophia'sRandyDined on 11/15/2014As always, great ambiance, food presentation as we celebrated our 55 wedding anniversary in a quite way. Our server, Ruth B, # 895 made the evening very special, with her wit, charm and very bubbly personality. My wife ordered me to give her an extra large tip which I did, you know, "yes dear".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wam and inviting great steaksSarahcdVIPDined on 11/11/2014My friend and I both had the filet mignon the steak was cooked to perfection the meat was so tender that one didn't need a steak knife. The wait staff was wonderful let us take our time ordering and checked in to se if all was well . I would recommend Sofia's to anyone who is meeting a friend or a group as the menu covers all preferences . Extensive wine and drink list for those who imbide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judeVIPDined on 11/8/2014my only complaint was we ordered the special addition for our entrée and the plate was sparseI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeJjf8955Dined on 11/8/2014I plan on coming back, service was outstanding. Three drinks each, apps & and a main course for $100 was affordable. Had drink at bar before being seated, very friendly crowd. Valet parking on a cold night was a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely nightHappyDinerDined on 11/8/2014We took a chance and were not disappointed. Everyone loved their order.Special Features:
- Sofia'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014The only downside is that in true Steakhouse fashion the restaurant is pretty loud! But it's nice to have a "Boston Steakhouse" in the burbs! I think the prices are decent too! Best chicken saltimbocca I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placeluv2dineDined on 11/7/2014Looking for a comfortable, relaxing, and romantic place to eat than Sofia's is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentlookingforgreatfoodDined on 11/6/2014Food was great (except for the extremely salty mashed potatoes).Our server was spectacular. We were seated promptly. Overall, an excellent evening for 2 friends, catching up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night !BobsbmwDined on 11/6/2014Great night- great food, wine list, and exceptionally friendly service! Nice fireplace area for pre dinner drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014The ribeye was huge and gorgeous. After tasting the eggplant appetizer, we ate marinara with everything. thoroughly enjoyed everything, and the service was flawless.Special Features:
- Good As Always but Menu needs updatingBigRedVIPDined on 10/26/2014Went on a Sunday night - not very busy. Food was good but it's been a year since I was here last and the menu was exactly the same. Might want to consider mixing it up a bit as time goes on.Special Features:
- ChanskyDined on 10/22/2014We really enjoyed our food. It was a great deal. We will go back again and again.Special Features:
- 50th BirthdayDougDined on 10/20/2014Took my wife here for her 50th birthday. Noted it on reservation. It was not acknowledge when we arrived or by our server. Service was slow which was fine but we were not checked on to see if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fun night at Sofia'sTunaDined on 10/18/2014That was my second time at Sofias. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. The staff is wonderful and the food is great. My only complaint was the portion size. For the price, they should give you a little more food, but still a great place for dinner in West Roxbury.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereTonedefDined on 10/17/2014It's feels like a downtown steakhouse but yet it's right on Rte 1 with "out of Boston" friendly pricing. Great for families and large groups or a nice date night. The food is always great and the service is outstanding. I had swordfish picatta over Parmesan risotto, which was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantERM7Dined on 10/6/2014Our experience at Sofia was great! The filet mignon was execelent and cook they way we ask for, the place it's very nice decorate and their wine selection present a lot choose, the noise was high even when taking in consideration that there were not to many people. Other than that was a great expirince.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersnewbeefoodieDined on 10/5/2014This place is a gem and worth a return. Food was amazing. Beautiful inside. Cheesecake was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service and atmosphereOccasionalDinerDined on 10/4/2014We were looking for something middle high cost/experience level - a notch below a Capital Grille but something better than an Outback. This was closer to a Capital Grille - a bit noisier which is not bad if you want to talk as well. Steak was great, waiter was attentive, good atmosphere and they brought a small slice of cake for my son's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and slow servicemattlDined on 10/4/2014Had high hopes for this place since it always looks crowded and the reviews seemed positive, but it was a mistake since both the service and food was underwhelming. This sits along the VFW Parkway on the Dedham/West Roxbury line and was a previous Italian restaurant that changed hands. The parking situation here is a mess and unless you valet, you will never find a spot on busy nights. First impression, the place looked nice inside although hostess station was a bit disorganized and even though we had a reservation, we still waited for a table. The bar area and restaurant looked crowded and the noise level is pretty loud but seemed vibrant. Unfortunately the food was a disappointment and the service was at a snails pace. Skip it.
- Good food/poor hostessKB413Dined on 10/4/2014Good food and attentive waitress. However, the hostess did not have our reservation. Even after I showed the confirmation email from Open Table, we were still given an attitude for the inconvenience WE caused her. Then we were seated in one of the worst spots in the restaurants. My husbands chair was literally in a busy corridor. Not how we envisioned the view or ambience of our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful ambiancethumbsupDined on 10/3/2014Our favorite neighborhood spot. Great atmosphere. high quality food and drink. excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent service excellent food. The most impressive part was they didn't rush us through the meal....I love the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Evening!Epicurean45VIPDined on 9/30/2014Celebrated my son's 28th birthday at Sofia and had a great time. Starters sampled included the risotto, eggplant rolotini, and Caesar salad. Each was very, very good. Entrees included the 8 oz. filet (two selected this), which were cooked to perfection; fettuccine carbonara ("fantastic") and salmon (delicious). The service was excellent and the birthday dessert was very well-presented. We could not have asked for more!Special Features:
- Amazing!LadyRaineGoldenDined on 9/28/2014I had such a great night! it was a surprise birthday celebration for my boyfriend as well as his first time there. It was very romantic, cozy and the food was fantastic! We absolutely enjoyed ourselves and we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedNantucketDined on 9/27/2014Have been wanting to try this restaurant for a while, had a martini that was the worst one I have ever tasted, the food was ok nothing impressive. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- jamescareyjrDined on 9/23/2014The waitress, Amy, made the occasion for us. Fun, patient, attentive, smart and easy going, she made everything else fall right into place. I will go back...especially if she she waitress!
- oops bad partybrunchloverDined on 9/22/2014food as always was delicious but unfortunately an extremely lubricated andloud group were seated next to us even though there were empty tables.it made it difficult to enjoy our birthday celebration as we could not hear ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SofiaVVH1Dined on 9/21/2014I am a repeat customer at this fabulous neighborhood establishment. The food is spectacular. We had appetizers, calamari, shrimp cocktail and a delicious prosciutto pizza followed by some of the most tender cuts of beef that I have ever had the pleasure of indulging in. The ambiance is superb and the wait staff is quite gracious.Special Features:
- Too noisy!MissartsycraftsyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was decent, service very, very good! Place was way too noisy, would not recommend a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThirtythreeDined on 9/19/2014They were out of prime rib at 730 on a Friday and they were also out of the 1/2 bottle of wine that I had selected. Very loud hard to have a conversation. Chicken Parm was good. Steak was only ok and a bit pricey for the portion size. My husband would not go back.
- Thoroughly enjoyable meal.beejayDined on 9/18/2014My husband & I went to Sofia last week to celebrate our anniversary. After reading recent yelp reviews I was really looking forward to it. We had been there once a year or more ago for Restaurant week and thought the normal prices were a bit high. We took advantage of the Wednesday/Thursday Prix Fixe menu. The food was superb! Portions are generous. We ended up taking a dessert home, we were so full. Also enjoyed creative cocktails. Our waitress was very attentive. The only negative is the noise level. otherwise it is a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Prix fix ThursdayKarenVIPDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant has 3 course menus M-Th for $24-28 per person, which are well worth going for. In the weekend evenings it's a madhouse in there and even with reservations we have had to wait for an hour or more for a table. We highly recommend the weekday times as the food is the same on both the 3 course and regular menus. There are 4-5 choices on the 3 course menus and 2 desserts to chose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrifectaJack513Dined on 9/13/2014Great drinks, excellent food, outstanding service. Bartender knows how to make drinks the way you like them. The risotto balls were a little delayed in coming out but worth the wait. It also delayed our sitting at our dining table but again, it was an upgrade. Very accomodating with the wine selection. Food was cooked to perfection. Capped off with excellent cannoli and capacino/expressoSpecial Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 9/10/2014Food and service were great, we were served by a waitress in training and she did a very good job. This was not our first and it will not be our last.Special Features:
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have eaten here many times. Altho we love the food,location, atmosphere,etc. we were overwelmed by the noise level on Sat. night. The noise was deafening to say the least. There were at least 3 birthday parties going on & people were literally screaming. It was very uncomfortable to eat under these conditions as it was a special birthday for my husband as well & his 2 sons had come in from out of State to celebrate. We had to shout at each other to have a conversation. Is there anything the restaurant can do to lessen the noise level?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be back!ItalianfoodluvrDined on 9/5/2014We live in Connecticut. We were at Sophia's about two years ago, and wanted to get back. We tried one Friday evening, but the place was so packed the wait would have been over an hour. This past Friday we made an online reservation for lunch so that we would be assured a table, but there were very few people there. The experience was wonderful, as we had remembered it. We would go back for special times anytime we are in the area.Special Features:
- Wonderful As AlwaysDelLouDined on 9/3/2014I love Sofia's. The food is awesome as well as the service. I tried the gnocchi for the first time and I loved it. It has now become my favorite place to dine.Special Features:
- Great Steaks and ItalianJonfromtheBurbsDined on 8/29/2014I did a fixed price 3 course meal that was relatively economical - and it was all great! First courses were a baby arugula salad with dried fruits and candied walnuts - great dressing. I tasted some raviolis that were also delicious. I split the entree with my dining companion, so I got to enjoy not only a great sirloin steak with parmesan truffle steak fries, but also a chicken parm with ziti. Desserts did not disappoint as I also shared what appeared to be homemade raspberry sorbet with fresh berries and some of the creamiest cheescake I have had in a long time! The service was first rate. The only tiny negative thing I could say is that there isn't a piece of fabric or carpet in the place, so it is quite loud.Special Features: